Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sept 28th 2014 Long Beach Jerk Fest

Posted by Ras_Adam 
Sept 28th 2014 Long Beach Jerk Fest
July 26, 2014 11:45AM
Re: Sept 28th 2014 Long Beach Jerk Fest
July 26, 2014 01:53PM
I'm going to this festival for sure. I check this festival website often, and was thrilled that they added Johnny Osbourne and Sister Carol to the lineup fairly recently (in place of Pato Banton and Everton Blender, who both disappeared from the lineup for whatever reason).

This festival is an old-school reggae fans dream, which is why I will be there!
July 26, 2014 02:01PM
Long Beach is my home town - I will be there.
July 26, 2014 04:57PM
looks amazing. Always love the Queen Mary Park reggae fests. Crucial crew will be mobbing deep. C U guys there.

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 26, 2014 05:02PM
Nice, Big Ship coming! And the nice price, that would be a $80 ticket in Santa Cruz.
A show where the performer is the promoter, don't see that around here too much either.
July 26, 2014 10:35PM
$30!! Great price for that line-up.

Peace
July 27, 2014 08:34PM
Great lineup, and Freddie promoting in California? Wish I could be there.
July 28, 2014 08:35PM
gonna be some real nice shoes up on that stage!!!

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 29, 2014 05:47PM
This looks like a great fest to welcome the Fall harvest season. Freddie, di captain, was one of my top picks for SNWMF this year (and next!!), so I am seriously considering bringing the fam down to Long Beach for the weekend. Love the reasonable $, family vibes, and solid roots lineup. Is this the first year for this fest or has it been running for a while now? Large up to Big Ship Productions, hoping to make this voyage a reality!
July 29, 2014 06:46PM
Isn't there always a queen mary reggae fest at the end of the summer? The name.may change but there is always a queen mary reggae fest of some sort

teachdem
This looks like a great fest to welcome the Fall harvest season. Freddie, di captain, was one of my top picks for SNWMF this year (and next!!), so I am seriously considering bringing the fam down to Long Beach for the weekend. Love the reasonable $, family vibes, and solid roots lineup. Is this the first year for this fest or has it been running for a while now? Large up to Big Ship Productions, hoping to make this voyage a reality!
July 29, 2014 06:52PM
Nice! Great to know its a long going tradition. Has Freddie always been the promoter? I live in the Bay Area so never hit this one before, this year may be the first.
July 29, 2014 07:37PM
teachdem
....Is this the first year for this fest or has it been running for a while now?!

flyer sez first annual...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 30, 2014 03:35AM
I will be DJing at this event
July 30, 2014 01:02PM
bigvein
Isn't there always a queen mary reggae fest at the end of the summer? The name.may change but there is always a queen mary reggae fest of some sort

I worked a fest at the Queen Mary Park about 5 years ago... As I recall the promoters were from Belize, Big Ship wasn't involved. Lineup was nice that year though. I didn't catch the openers that year but by the time we got there the lineup was Warrior King, Baby Cham, Lady Saw, Junior Reid and Shabba Ranks. Shabba absolutley killed it and watching his set was a nice way to end the tour I had been on.
AJ
July 30, 2014 04:05PM
Huge lineup.................................I like it.
Now that we live in Tucson, Arizona we might be able to make this Jerk Fest. Weekend in Long Beach.

Sure looks like a Saturday lineup at the wonderful SNWMF...grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 04:21PM by AJ.
July 30, 2014 05:33PM

I believe the one you are thinking of BV is the 'Old School Jam' which ran in the 90's through the first part of the 2000's-usually one day only on a Sunday with some pretty massive lineups. In June , 2000, Prezident Carter and I went to the first 2 days at Sierra Nevada, then flew to LA from Sacto for the Old School Jam at Queen Mary Park--mainly to catch Linval Thompson's first ever appearance on the West Coast...lineup was massive ..Leroy Sibbles , Johnny Clarke, Michigan and Smiley, Mikey Jarrett, Barrington Levy, and JUSTIN HINDS! This Jerk Fest lineup is quite consistent with all of those Ol School Jams lineups.

FROM LA TIMES
BEST BETS: Sunday 6/18
noon: Pop Music
June 15, 2000
Email

The reggae, ska and rock-steady sounds of the '70s and early '80s are the order of the day at the fourth annual Reggae Old School Jam, a nine-hour festival featuring Barrington Levy, Leroy Sibbles, Johnny Clarke, Linval Thompson, Michigan & Smiley, Mikey "Mac Daddy" Jarrett and Justin Hinds & the Dominoes. Daddy U-Roy will receive a special award during the concert.

* Reggae Old School Jam, Queen Mary Park, Long Beach, noon. $25 in advance, $30 at door, children under 12 free. (310) 515-3322.

This looks like a great fest to welcome the Fall harvest season. Freddie, di captain, was one of my top picks for SNWMF this year (and next!!

Teach Dem...Freddie is one I will always forward to Sierra until it happens!! Big Ship seems to pick his spots now when it comes to festivals. He recently played the Galveston Reggae Fest near Houston(2013) and this one near LA--these gatherings are really going to have turnouts that are predominantly Jamaican-so its cool to see him try and cater to the JAmaicans living inna foreign--I'd still like to see him at Sierra though-sooner than later. .....Don't sleep on Chino either who is on this Long Beach bill--I caught him with the BIG SHIp in Austin in 2010 with Laden and it was one the best shows I've seen in Texas.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 05:40PM by papaken.
July 30, 2014 06:16PM
papaken

This looks like a great fest to welcome the Fall harvest season. Freddie, di captain, was one of my top picks for SNWMF this year (and next!!

Teach Dem...Freddie is one I will always forward to Sierra until it happens!! Big Ship seems to pick his spots now when it comes to festivals. He recently played the Galveston Reggae Fest near Houston(2013) and this one near LA--these gatherings are really going to have turnouts that are predominantly Jamaican-so its cool to see him try and cater to the JAmaicans living inna foreign--I'd still like to see him at Sierra though-sooner than later. .....Don't sleep on Chino either who is on this Long Beach bill--I caught him with the BIG SHIp in Austin in 2010 with Laden and it was one the best shows I've seen in Texas.

Give thanks Papa, I wonder if the year you mentioned above was when Linval played at SNWMF in Marysville for the first time. I was there and I cant quite remember the whole lineup, but Im sure there were a number of other classics there as well.

As far as Freddie goes, last time, and maybe the only time (?) I caught him was at Reggae Rising maybe 5 years ago, Chino also performed. Freddie was so good, so nice, and so smooth.

My two top picks for this year were Freddie and Cocoa Tea. I was pretty disappointed to see neither of them announced, but am confident they will bless the stage some time in the future.
July 30, 2014 06:50PM
Give thanks Papa, I wonder if the year you mentioned above was when Linval played at SNWMF in Marysville for the first time. I was there and I cant quite remember the whole lineup, but Im sure there were a number of other classics there as well.

Actually, 2001, the first year at Angels Camp, was when Linval played Sierra. That was one of two years that I missed but I do have a fairly nice sb recording of Linval.

Now I'm all alone..
July 30, 2014 10:21PM
Queen Mary reggae fest was my 1 and only time seeing Sugar Minott.

July 30, 2014 11:23PM
teachdem
papaken

As far as Freddie goes, last time, and maybe the only time (?) I caught him was at Reggae Rising maybe 5 years ago, Chino also performed. Freddie was so good, so nice, and so smooth.

My two top picks for this year were Freddie and Cocoa Tea. I was pretty disappointed to see neither of them announced, but am confident they will bless the stage some time in the future.

I caught Freddie as an opener at the mountain winery about 2 years ago. Along with beres Hammond I put big ship fam in my too tier of artist i have not seen at Sierra yet. Pleaser bring either or both to boomville in da '15!
July 30, 2014 11:40PM
Freddie McGregor and the Big Ship crew were excellent at Reggae Rising 2009. Chino and Laden were good, but not great, like Freddie. Gentleman, Marcia Griffiths and FG were the highlights of that crazy day.

July 31, 2014 02:44AM
papaken
Actually, 2001, the first year at Angels Camp, was when Linval played Sierra.

thumbs up
August 07, 2014 05:26PM
ANY one going to this Fest??

Now I'm all alone..
August 07, 2014 09:11PM
papaken
ANY one going to this Fest??

I will be in the hiz-zous.
August 07, 2014 11:04PM
Crucial fam will be there with the Tamlins!

August 08, 2014 12:32AM
Always a good time at the queen mary park!
Ill be there

Respect Same Way
August 08, 2014 12:33AM
Boardie mash-up pon the Queen!

August 13, 2014 07:03PM
SOUNDS IRIE to me

Now I'm all alone..
August 13, 2014 11:49PM
Really looking forward to this festival! In fact I want to spend the extra money to get a VIP ticket, since it advertises seating and better stage viewing areas. For those that have been to this venue before, how is it setup? Where would the seating be at, and how much closer would the better stage viewing area be?
September 11, 2014 02:00AM
Any updates on this festy? Are all artists still confirmed? Roll call for this fest from boardies...wa gwan!!
September 12, 2014 04:39AM
I've been eyeing this one...I think I'll make it and head up the coast back home...
I wonder if any jerk seasoning will be for purchase? Mmmmm
I'm thinking of staying on the queen Mary if the rates are reasonable?
Am also wondering if all the acts are still on ? And if that Friday or Saturday there will be any of the acts playing anywhere in the area?
September 12, 2014 04:26PM
gonna try and make it!

Now I'm all alone..
September 12, 2014 07:33PM
papaken
I believe the one you are thinking of BV is the 'Old School Jam' which ran in the 90's through the first part of the 2000's-usually one day only on a Sunday with some pretty massive lineups.

Ive been to that venue three or four times for Reggae Festivals. The ones Ive been to were produced by Pupa Curly from Belize. The Old School Jam produced by Barbara Barbino started out at the Lagoon in front of Hyatt Hotel and then moved to the Queen Mary Park for a couple of shows before ending.

Its a quite a scenic venue with the backdrop of the Long Beach skyline, the Queen Mary and the harbor.

There were things I didnt like: parking is in the lot for the Queen Mary and it was a hefty charge and gestopo-like security lurking around worried you might smoke a joint or drink a beer and offend all the tourists...if you hung around your car before going in they would quickly come by and tell you to move on. There was always a long line with intrusive searches and lots of people cutting the line...Jamaican-Stylee. Inside there was no shade and one year you had to drink your beer in a beer garden which was just a small area enclosed by a chain-link fence, like you were in jail.

Of course, that was years ago, things will most likely be different now, especially with a different promoter...but who knows, its still a major tourist area so you take your chances for a first year show.

@ Gabe...I think the Queen Mary rates are high for the dinky little room you get...one year we stayed at a hotel right next to the venue and it was great and cheaper. Can't remember the hotel name but you should be able to find it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login