Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

5 hr show Midnite

Posted by akee123 
5 hr show Midnite
August 01, 2014 02:23AM
Midnite plays a 5 hour show at Nothwest Reggae Festival, while other acts will play 45 minutes and "pull up" 22 times....
Re: 5 hr show Midnite
August 01, 2014 03:33AM
Lol, true story.
August 01, 2014 05:09AM
I would be pissed if I paid for tickets and Midnite took up the stage for five hours.
August 01, 2014 05:28AM
damn jeff, it doesn't happen often, but sometimes you make me laugh REALLY hard.

and god bless all the midnite fans that put up with our teasing & bs!

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
August 01, 2014 06:13AM
mosquito killer

m.

thumbs up
August 01, 2014 07:00AM
I heard they played both of their bass lines at that show.
August 01, 2014 12:43PM
As a musician friend of mine joked: "I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell them, since after 5 hours they can't seem to find one themselves"
August 01, 2014 02:23PM
Well it comes out every so often, unintended or not.

mosquito killer
damn jeff, it doesn't happen often, but sometimes you make me laugh REALLY hard.

m.
August 01, 2014 03:42PM
Dr Suess
As a musician friend of mine joked: "I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I can sell them, since after 5 hours they can't seem to find one themselves"

As much as I love me some Midnite, im DEAD with laughter on this one. DEADDDDDD
August 01, 2014 04:43PM
5 hours? Damn wish I was there. Haven't been sleeping well. Woulda gotten 4 and half solid during that set.
August 01, 2014 04:53PM
I think you guys are missing the original point of the message.
August 01, 2014 05:00PM
aaron_g

Original point - midnite is the Grateful Dead of reggae....
August 01, 2014 05:36PM
aaron_g

What the pullups?
Why should a VI band and its american cult following dictate Jamaican Music Culture?
August 01, 2014 05:54PM
Ironically, Midnite played exactly the same number of notes as the 45 minutes sets (with pull ups and rewinds, included).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 05:57PM by Jahsprey.
August 01, 2014 08:02PM
Kabaka Pyramid after Sun Ska Reggae Festival in France

10 hours ago · 

Stayed after our set jus to watch we big bredda dem Midnite and once again I was left in awe!! 
‪#‎Lessoningroove‬ ‪#‎teknote‬ ‪#‎AllI‬&I 
‪#‎RastariUnity‬
August 01, 2014 08:44PM
All you midnite haters gwaan! Each one teach one and midnite surely is spreading Jah works and word. We all know they play extended jams, few if any artists do this. Same time, they sing and chant about much higher topics than most, making plenty of reggae artists pale in comparison in terms of subject matter and headiness of their music. They're not trying to get time in the dancehall or on the radio, they're plAying and making music for themselves, using word sound and power to spread Jah word.

Comparing them to grateful dead or calling them hippy reggae is way off base, ever heard of Ras to the bone? You ever spoken with Vaughan, shared a meditation? Vaughan and midnite preach deep Rastafari roots, and are trying to do more than plenty of artists In terms of forward movemt inna intl community and culture, and in my opinion bring a much more true and authentic rasta vibe than most, just in a different manner.

You nah like it, gwan, leave the judgement unto the most high..
August 01, 2014 08:53PM
For the record, I was not really bagging on Midnite, but the idea of one band playing for so long when people bought tickets for multiple acts.
August 01, 2014 09:06PM
teachdem
All you midnite haters gwaan! Each one teach one and midnite surely is spreading Jah works and word. We all know they play extended jams, few if any artists do this. Same time, they sing and chant about much higher topics than most, making plenty of reggae artists pale in comparison in terms of subject matter and headiness of their music. They're not trying to get time in the dancehall or on the radio, they're plAying and making music for themselves, using word sound and power to spread Jah word.

Comparing them to grateful dead or calling them hippy reggae is way off base, ever heard of Ras to the bone? You ever spoken with Vaughan, shared a meditation? Vaughan and midnite preach deep Rastafari roots, and are trying to do more than plenty of artists In terms of forward movemt inna intl community and culture, and in my opinion bring a much more true and authentic rasta vibe than most, just in a different manner.

You nah like it, gwan, leave the judgement unto the most high..

Maybe, just maybe, if the original post werent so condescending, the replies would have been different
August 01, 2014 09:07PM
For the record, it would actually be 4 hours and 45 minutes of sleep..........
August 01, 2014 09:13PM
teachdem
All you midnite haters gwaan! ..

how old are you - 14? not liking someone/something does not make one a hater.....

Collie4Nyah

Maybe, just maybe, if the original post werent so condescending, the replies would have been different

i sorta doubt it....
August 01, 2014 09:16PM
mulligan
teachdem
All you midnite haters gwaan! ..

how old are you - 14? not liking someone/something does not make one a hater.....

Collie4Nyah

i sorta doubt it....

I just dont like ppl putting musicians on a pedestal, ANY musicians, JA, VI, American, Cuban, etc.
August 01, 2014 09:16PM
Thanks for the laughs guys..but my original post was intended to commend Midnite for putting forth an effort which is all-too-often absent in other reggae performers. Whether you like their sound or not, you gotta give props to them.
August 01, 2014 09:22PM
In all seriousness and in my opinion Midnite is a solid roots, reggae band. They do the music the right way and for the right reasons. I do not think most people are hating on THEM. Midnite simply does not package their music in a way that is palpable for everyone. I do not think anyone is talking about their message, purpose, or mission......simply the music it is delivered by. I personally have trouble taking in Midnite's live shows in long doses. I get drowsy from it being so heavy. I also like some horns in my music. There's a certain monotone to it all that to me represents what idiot music fans refer to when they say all reggae sounds the same. Now I am not an idiot fan. I get it, but have trouble with the package it's delivered in. We all like reggae for different reasons at different times. Sometimes we want serious and sometimes we just wanna dance and have fun. The important part is we all love reggae. Midnite is serious, heavy, roots reggae. Not everyone chooses to elevate to those heights. Respect to those that do. Don't hate back on those that don't. Because if they love reggae music for the message and spirituality, chances are they're elevated too.
August 01, 2014 09:25PM
akee123
Thanks for the laughs guys..but my original post was intended to commend Midnite for putting forth an effort which is all-too-often absent in other reggae performers. Whether you like their sound or not, you gotta give props to them.

Of course and for sure smileys with beer
August 01, 2014 09:26PM
I prefer The Midnite of a decade ago, diff backing band, a fresh sound and message, also more of a sense of urgency IMO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 09:26PM by Collie4Nyah.
August 01, 2014 09:47PM
I love a solid 2 hour dose of Midnite. I used to go hard and long, especially at the Vets Hall in Santa Cruz, but they just don't keep me entranced like they did the first few years they played around here. I miss those days.
August 01, 2014 09:49PM
Legendary shows at the vet's hall!
August 01, 2014 11:19PM
I miss the days when a person could poke fun and not be instantly labeled a "hater" by people who've lost their sense of humor.
August 01, 2014 11:26PM
Fourtwentyplenty, that's a problem I have with "deep roots " anything- the term "elevated" implies somehow everyone else is lower. What one calls elevated I call heady.
August 02, 2014 01:36AM
J_72
Fourtwentyplenty, that's a problem I have with "deep roots " anything- the term "elevated" implies somehow everyone else is lower. What one calls elevated I call heady.

Certainly not disagreeing with you nor did I intend to imply that. I was speaking more towards those die hard Midnite folks. They know who they are....I think.
August 02, 2014 02:32AM
I was at those vets hall shows! Some of my favorite live music experiences, along with Midnite closing out the village stage on Sunday night in frog town, 03 I think.
August 02, 2014 08:04AM

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
August 02, 2014 08:36AM
I liked Bitty tonight at The River offering up the half-Midnite on his next trip to the West Coast. What's the half-Midnite? A 2.5 hour set. Would love to see that.
August 02, 2014 12:08PM
August 02, 2014 06:08PM
I love Midnite, and I love me some extended Midnite set, but whys did they play 5hrs? Was that how long their set supposed to be? Did a band or bands not show up or canceled? Just wondering shy they played so long.
August 02, 2014 10:17PM
They were scheduled to play from 10pm - 1am+. Zili Misik, Mystic Roots Band and Real Life Rockaz were to have performed before Midnite. I wasn't there so I don't know if those 3 acts actually performed and/or what time Midnite took to the stage but obviously they were 'scheduled' for an extended set and the set was further extended for reasons unknown to me....
August 02, 2014 11:22PM
According to Tyler, set ran from 10:30pm -3am.
August 03, 2014 06:05PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 07:51PM by Ras_Adam.
August 06, 2014 06:58PM
Hello to all! Sorry for the late response on here. Yes I did go to NWWRF to see Midnite, I know I know, I said I would not support Doug and that festival anymore but after having to miss Midnite in Cali because of work issues, my only chance to see them was at NWWRF. Made me sick to my stomach to support the festival but I needed Midnite and there vibes in my life right now. The set was the best I have ever seen, Ron and the band went on stage at 10am and spent about 30 minutes making sure everything sounded perfect. Vaughn walked on to He is Jah around 1030pm and when they walked off stage I looked at my phone and it said 310am. WOW!! They were scheduled to play an epic long set but played 3 songs at the end that were shout outs from the crowd, those 3 songs kept them on stage for another hour or more and that was probably the reason why it was a 4 1/2 hour set! If you have the chance to see Midnite don't miss them, I just got back from ROTR and while I enjoyed Gentleman, Alpha Blondy, Michael Rose, Jah9, Jimmy Cliff, Matabaruka and many more none of them compare to Midnite and the show they put on and they vibes they bring! I am sorry for the short post but I am working to jobs for a bit and am very busy, will post more about ROTR and NWWRF and Midnite when I can. Oh BTW, everything ran really nice and smooth at NWWRF, nothing to complain about. I did hear that Mista Chief Chanta only got paid half of what he was supposed to though.
August 08, 2014 07:01AM
Midnite boring !!!
August 08, 2014 02:24PM
Redeye bored - duly noted and classified under 'Who Cares'.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login