Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One Love One Heart Reggae Festival (Sacramento) Aug 29-31

Posted by YabbyYouFan 
One Love One Heart Reggae Festival (Sacramento) Aug 29-31
August 11, 2014 06:51AM
Is anybody else going to this festival this year? (Don't know how to link the website, so hopefully somebody can do that for me)

I'm really liking the lineup, with artists such as The Wailing Souls and Arkaingelle on Friday night, Natural Black (was impressive at ROTR 2013), Pato Banton, Danny I, Tuff Lion, Iqulah (really liked his set at SNWMF 2013), and Alika on Saturday, and Mykal Rose, Etana, Army, Abja, Junior X, performing on Sunday. There are other artists performing too, but I just mentioned the ones I'm most familiar with...

There is a great mix of classic artists, Virgin Island reggae artists (Army is one of my all time favorite reggae artists and try to see him any chance I get), and newer artists, so that is enough for me to check this festival out for the first time.

Anyway, I have a few questions that hopefully somebody will be able to answer:

What's the parking situation like at the festival? Is parking nearby or is it a long walk? I ask because I don't camp at the festivals. Also, is there seating or would one advise to bring a folding chair?

Any other input about this festival would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Re: One Love One Heart Reggae Festival (Sacramento) Aug 29-31
August 11, 2014 11:17AM
I went last year, it's awesome. Small fest, shady area, definitely bring a folding chair. Parking is easy, you can park for free out on the hiway, it didn't seem like much further than parking in their lot. I posted a few videos from last years fest, and hope to be there for much of it this year.

Love that reggae!
August 11, 2014 08:15PM
I'm thinking the same thing nomo... Havent been since the very first one but its great vibes and as long the heat isnt ridiculous I just might show up!

Its all about the vibes.

DOH!! Just checked the dates againt my schedule... Likely a conflict... Bummer.
August 11, 2014 09:28PM
nomotrouble
I went last year, it's awesome. Small fest, shady area, definitely bring a folding chair. Parking is easy, you can park for free out on the hiway, it didn't seem like much further than parking in their lot. I posted a few videos from last years fest, and hope to be there for much of it this year.

I think I remember you posting about this last year, thanks for doing that. And thanks for the answers to my questions.

I'm pretty sure I know who you are now, as I've looked at the people filming the last few festivals, and can tell by where you were at based on the angle of the videos you post. I will be sure to say hello there if I get a chance.
August 11, 2014 09:30PM
I'm going to see if this link works for those that want to visit their website for full information, as this sounds like a really good festival and one worth checking out:

[oneloveoneheartreggaefestival.weebly.com]
August 11, 2014 09:35PM
Please do YabbyYouFan!

Love that reggae!
August 13, 2014 11:22PM
nomotrouble
Please do YabbyYouFan!

Will do for sure!

And we are still a few weeks away from this festival, but it may just be you and I representing the SNWMF board members at this festival...with your video and reviews, and my long reviews, we should still have this festival covered for those that are interested in hearing about it!

BTW, what artists do you plan on filming? If I could make a request, could you film Army (liked his video you posted of him last year), Abja, Tuff Lion, Iqulah, Alika, Natural Black, etc? Heck, it would be great if you filmed the whole festival, but you gotta be able to just watch and enjoy some too!

Also, I'm liking the music of Arkaingelle. Did you see him last year? He has some great songs out that I've been really digging the last few years, and am looking forward to seeing him live this year for the first time.
August 13, 2014 11:54PM
One Love One Heart has a proper line up and is in a nice middleground location for ones to come from all over... Nice to only drive an hour from the bay...

Inner Standing Sound is looking forward to running vibes from the afternoon into the late night... Nuff vintage roots and culture selections from Selecta Kojak and some special guests in the light and moving into the dubwise and heavyweight as the night progresses... Vocals from Luv Fyah, Ras Amlak and special guests...

Hope to see yall there...

August 14, 2014 03:32AM
Looking forward to it! My list includes Mykal Rose, Etana, Natural Black, Pato, Wailing Souls, iqulah, tuff lion, danny i, army, abja, arkaingelle, alika, luv fyah. Now whether alla that happens is doubtful. I'll end up getting some others, and not getting some of those but it's hard to gauge it beforehand. Fun stuff.

Love that reggae!
August 14, 2014 11:31PM
I went last year with my kids. Two words......bug repellant
August 16, 2014 07:35PM
YabbyYou, here is the Arkaingelle show from last year:

Love that reggae!
August 16, 2014 07:36PM
bug repellant…..ThanX! got a natural one. that's helpful…….Can anyone tell me about the camping?
August 21, 2014 11:20AM
nomotrouble
Looking forward to it! My list includes Mykal Rose, Etana, Natural Black, Pato, Wailing Souls, iqulah, tuff lion, danny i, army, abja, arkaingelle, alika, luv fyah. Now whether alla that happens is doubtful. I'll end up getting some others, and not getting some of those but it's hard to gauge it beforehand. Fun stuff.

Wow, that's quite a list of artists you want to film!

And you have enough on your plate as it is, but if you get a chance to just watch King Hopeton and Woven Roots, they also got some decent tunes and I look forward to seeing them both for the first time...but perhaps you'very already seen them both before?

BTW, for those of us that went to SNWMF and ROTR, this will be the third time seeing Mykal Rose...in the last 10 weeks! But still look forward to seeing him again!
August 21, 2014 11:23AM
nomotrouble
YabbyYou, here is the Arkaingelle show from last year:

Thanks for posting this video! I really enjoyed watching it and it makes me even more excited to see him live!
August 21, 2014 04:01PM
Parking is relatively close. Yes, bring your low-backed folding chair. It is a rustic park setting. Enjoy!
August 21, 2014 08:39PM
I really wish I wasn't going to be out of town for this! I live in Sacramento and would love to catch a local reggae fest. I've heard good things about this and I'm sure it will be great! Does anyone know if it always falls on labor day weekend or if it just happened to be this year? As far as those concerned with the weather...it's been really nice in Sacramento this past week. Temperatures have been low (for August) around 80 all week with a nice breeze and chilly mornings & evenings!
August 22, 2014 10:32AM
christinalorell
I really wish I wasn't going to be out of town for this! I live in Sacramento and would love to catch a local reggae fest. I've heard good things about this and I'm sure it will be great! Does anyone know if it always falls on labor day weekend or if it just happened to be this year? As far as those concerned with the weather...it's been really nice in Sacramento this past week. Temperatures have been low (for August) around 80 all week with a nice breeze and chilly mornings & evenings!

I'm pretty sure this festival always falls on Labor Day weekend. And it's too bad you will be out of town that weekend, this is a great lineup and the best I've seen for this festival. But I know how it goes: there are several annual reggae festivals that I will never be able to go to due to family obligations during the same time...

And GREAT to hear the weather is mild in Sacramento right now! It was 103 degrees driving through there to catch my plane after Reggae On The River, and I was thinking that I hope it's not this hot next month for the One Love One Heart festival!
August 25, 2014 11:15PM
anybody know about the camping? do they have car camping? do they have day tickets or only 3-day pass?
August 25, 2014 11:22PM
u can buy a ticket saturday and sunday for $100 or 3-day for $89….wierd….can u buy a 3-day on Saturday?
August 25, 2014 11:31PM
how late do the show go saturday-sunday?
August 26, 2014 05:38AM
I can't believe I'm going to miss this great show. What a line up...... I'm performing the weekend with local community theater. I hope you all have a great time. And enjoy Natural Black. Loved him at ROTR last year!
August 28, 2014 05:17AM
We are going but only on Sunday since we have other things going on. looks like on sunday the last artist coming on is at 8-9 pm, I bought 2 3-day tickets for 95 dollars on living social!
August 28, 2014 10:07PM
I'll see you there!

Love that reggae!
September 03, 2014 11:30PM
Had a great time at this festival, it was kinda hot on saturday and sunday, but i saw many acts, recorded seven of them, arkaingelle, wailing souls, danny i, army, abja, iqulah and tuff lion. I'm gonna upload an arkaingelle song that captures the vibe, be back soon......

Love that reggae!
September 04, 2014 11:20AM

Love that reggae!
September 04, 2014 02:58PM
Did you record Natural Black? Was really disappointed I wasn't able to see him.
September 04, 2014 07:21PM
Arkaingelle... Nice! Never seen/heard him before, and I'm luvin' the vibes! My only question is, are there 3 of you Nomo? Seems like you spliced the video together from 3 camera angles?
September 04, 2014 09:54PM
I did not record Natural Black. I had wanted to, but as circumstances turn out, i was exhausted and lay down during Pato Banton, right before Natural Black, rested for an hour, and went back out to watch Natural Black. Frankly i was disappointed, not so much because of his performance, it's just that i don't really care much for that dancehall style thang as much as the deep roots thang, like Arkaingelle singing Inna Manna.....i watched about 15 minutes of it and got some food and crashed. I've think i've figured out that the best of the high knee lift singers for me is Anthony B. It seems to go with the style i don't like as much. Backflip, that seems to be okay, i like Luciano.

Reggabe, i've been running a couple gopro hero3 cameras for side shots when possible. Most of my videos have them on there, but not all. Hard to go into some clubs and slap a sticky mount on the wall, but i've left them at the Independent, Ashkenaz, Moe's Alley, and the New Parish. I bring a mic stand and some tripods to accommodate them when i can. So ya, i'm splicing 3 videos together. First you align them, then snip away. Then there's the audio issue. i have two sets of mics on my head and two recorders, and another one to leave in front of the speaker bank. One of the sets of mics on my head goes under my hat if there is any wind, and the others clip to my hat on the outside. So i have three alternative audio tracks, plus my new sony camera actually records good sound. The Arkaingelle video above uses the dpa 4061 mics which were clipped to my hat, matrixed with the camera audio, just cause it sounded better to me. Then i align the audio to the video and put in transitions. Gets to be a drag doing it over and over, but i'm getting quicker at it, and i love the result.

Love that reggae!
September 04, 2014 10:11PM
Now i have time for a little more extensive review. I hung out with YabbyYouFan on and off, that was nice. This festival hearkens back to a simpler time when events were smaller and things weren't so official. Artists mix with the audience, no fences to keep you from going back stage, little drinking and no problems i saw. Unfortunately, it's not a simpler time, and the fest was taken advantage of by someone selling fake wrist bands. Denise, who puts this fest on, did a great job, which is reflected in the vibe. Plenty vendors of all kinds.

Traffic was terrible friday afternoon, took me 3 hours to go from Richmond to the fest in Sacramento. Got my camp site set up, plenty of room, i camped next to the Woven Roots crew, good people. Saw and recorded Arkaingelle and the Wailing Souls friday night, not too many people there. Talked to Arkaingelle in the campground, humble bredren. Met Blaak Lung also, i'm thinking we need to do a project together. Both of those guys should be at SNWMF.

Saturday was hot, upper 90's, hung out in the camping area in the shade a bunch and chatted with some folks from ROTR, good stuff. Saw and recorded Danny I and Army, gave both of them discs of old shows and chatted with em. I died of the heat after Danny i so i crashed, saw 15 minutes of Natural Black but didn't really care for it. I had almost decided to leave saturday night for the heat but doused myself in ice water, burned a couple spliff and decided to gut it out.

Sunday was hot again, but i recorded Abja, Iqulah, and Tuff Lion and friends. I really wanted to stay for Etana but i had to get home at a reasonable hour as i was moving my daughter to UC Davis the next morning early. Abja was great, so were Iqulah and Tuffy. Videos will be coming!

Love that reggae!
September 04, 2014 10:41PM
I will speak for everyone who has ever had the pleasure of viewing any of your videos, nomo -- THANK YOU for the considerable time and effort it takes to create and upload them.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
September 04, 2014 10:50PM
Hear, hear. Thanks and praises to Nomotrouble.
September 04, 2014 11:47PM
On the other hand…..Natural Black was SOOOO good. He was the reason for going. He was the reason for selling more tickets.
September 05, 2014 02:41AM
No doubt randomguy2u, i'd heard he was great at rotr so thats why i went back to check him. just wasn't really my thing, but i'm glad you enjoyed it. And thanks folks, you are all welcome!

Love that reggae!
September 05, 2014 03:39PM
How was Junior X? Junior X anyone?
September 05, 2014 06:31PM
Thanks nomo! I know nothin about video/audio recording so that's why I asked. The results are awesome! Your video skills and quality have really improved over the years! (not that they were bad before)

Everton Blender is playing at Ashkenaz on Saturday. You should come out and record! If you're there I'll come seek you out.
September 05, 2014 09:16PM
I will definitely be there for Everton at Ashkenaz.

Junior X was a no show at the fest.

Love that reggae!
September 06, 2014 06:17AM
Just saw that Everton Blender has cancelled for Ashkenaz.

Love that reggae!
September 08, 2014 03:53AM

Love that reggae!
September 09, 2014 02:23AM
You can say that again, REAL LOUD BUG REPELLENT!!! its been over a week and I have huge red and inflamed bites, it just got worse and worse, so I will take Benadryl tonight cause I cant stand it no more.. these are by far the worst mosquito bites i have ever experienced and I have been to the islands and around the world 2x, if I return again to this festival I will be dressed like a mummy no matter how hot it will be.. i did wear repellent and still I am so sore and ichy.

other than that, if the program wasn't running behind 2-3 hours I have no complaints! smiling smiley
September 09, 2014 04:10AM
that sucks ja_lover.....i saw a bunch, but didn't get a bite. they don't like me. and i did use repellent.

Love that reggae!
September 12, 2014 10:55PM
i didn't use repellent… i didn't find bites til monday…they were pretty bad….not globally bad..worst ever in jungles of Brazil
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login