Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

London Reggae Runnings

Posted by Walter 
London Reggae Runnings
August 11, 2014 08:53AM
I'm off to London for a couple of weeks for work - I'll be there the last two weeks in August.

However, all work and no play makes Walter a dull boy so I am looking for info on the reggae scene in London - record shops, clubs, concerts, etc.

Can anyone help a brother out?
Re: London Reggae Runnings
August 11, 2014 03:31PM
walter, you should ask this on the blood & fire board; very helpful folks there and many live in the London area.
[www.bloodandfire.co.uk]

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
August 11, 2014 04:12PM
good advice, mk - thank you.

I posted the question on Gordon's forum, but i don't think too many people make their way there any more.
August 11, 2014 07:23PM
Looks like you will be there for the next UOD University of Dub. Aba Shanti-I, Jah Voice, Jah Youth

[www.bloodandfire.co.uk]
August 11, 2014 07:26PM
August 23rd, The Heatwave presents "Truck Party"
KOKO, Camden Town
August 11, 2014 09:23PM
There's a big reggae festival called the One Love Festival nearby London. Website is [www.onelovefestival.co.uk]. Curiously, the lineup has changed several times over the last few months, as they had The Mighty Diamonds and Cocoa Tea on the lineup at one time, and they are not listed anymore. Still lists John Holt, Wailing Souls, Michael Prophet, Cornell Campbell, Addis Pablo, etc...if they all show, should be a great festival.

BTW, festival is Aug. 15-17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2014 09:24PM by YabbyYouFan.
August 12, 2014 12:33AM
I might have to go from Heathrow directly to the fest. I'll only make Sunday night, but the line-up of Addis Pablo, Michael Prophet, Macka B, and Cornell Campbell is well-worth the trip. Gotta get some meletonin so I can sleep on the plane.

That UOD show sounds smoky - just my cup o tea... and the next day is a holiday!
August 12, 2014 06:48AM
What up.. Here is another reggae show if still in London.. Stay Irie

Reggae Lives - The Lovers Rock Tour (London)
Sunday 31 August 2014
The Coronet Theatre, London
DOORS OPEN at 7:00 PM
SHOW STARTS at 9:30 PM

SHOW PERFORMING ARTISTS
Frankie Paul, Glen Washington, Jimmy Riley, Lukie D and Mikey Spice
August 12, 2014 11:35AM
Thanks for the lookout, Redeye! I'd hit that show too, but I arrive back home on that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 10:58PM by Walter.
August 13, 2014 11:13PM
Walter
I might have to go from Heathrow directly to the fest. I'll only make Sunday night, but the line-up of Addis Pablo, Michael Prophet, Macka B, and Cornell Campbell is well-worth the trip. Gotta get some meletonin so I can sleep on the plane.

That UOD show sounds smoky - just my cup o tea... and the next day is a holiday!

Yeah, it sounds totally worth it to go to this festival to see the Sunday lineup - I really want to see Michael Prophet live since he was guided by Yabby You from his early music beginnings, and has some incredible roots tunes from the early 1980s...you are lucky to have a chance to see Michael Prophet! And the other artists you named on the Sunday lineup are all great, too.

And if you do make it to that festival, can you do me a favor and post some sort of review about your experience on this forum? I've been thinking about going all the way to the UK to see this festival at some point, and would like to hear a first hand account about it to see if it's worth the trip to fly all the way out there. Thanks and have fun at this festI
August 14, 2014 02:21PM
Yes, the opportunity to see Michael Prophet is the main reason I want to go. I will certainly report back.
August 14, 2014 08:48PM
Please don't forget the Notting Hill Carnival Sunday/Monday August 24th & 25th.

[www.thenottinghillcarnival.com]

Did you not catch Michael Prophet in Boonville a few years back?
August 23, 2014 10:47AM
Stevo

No, there were a few years I missed SNWMF, and Michael Prophet must have performed one of those years. What year did he last play at SNWMF?

I was looking for some CDs the other day, and found a booklet from SNWMF 2006 (or maybe 2007). Curiously, I looked through it, and Michael Prophet and Earl Sixteen were both listed as performers. I remember them both having to cancel that year, otherwise I would have seen him. And has Earl Sixteen performed at SNWMF since?
August 23, 2014 11:08AM
I ended up missing the One Love show - bitter disappointment visited me for about a day.

However, it is on and poppin' theis weekend - the Notting Hill Carnival is going off. Plus, there are a ton of ancillary events going on in conjuction with the Carnival. I am going to the Jah Shaka Sound System show at the Dub Club tonight.

On Sunday, there's an all-day Carnival Ska-BQ at the Railway Tavern put on by Sound System Culture featuring Earl Gateshead, Uzimon, Leo Samson, Brixton Dub Collective + more + Sound Clash Culture DJ's Rion Culture, Charli Culture & Frosty + guests.

Monday, it's Collie Budz at the Jazz Cafe.
August 23, 2014 02:34PM
YabbyYouFan
Stevo

No, there were a few years I missed SNWMF, and Michael Prophet must have performed one of those years. What year did he last play at SNWMF?

I was looking for some CDs the other day, and found a booklet from SNWMF 2006 (or maybe 2007). Curiously, I looked through it, and Michael Prophet and Earl Sixteen were both listed as performers. I remember them both having to cancel that year, otherwise I would have seen him. And has Earl Sixteen performed at SNWMF since?

I don't know about Earl Sixteen but Michael Prophet was there in 2006.
August 23, 2014 02:35PM
edit: double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 02:35PM by Dr Suess.
August 23, 2014 05:35PM
If I ever get to London I want to go see David Rodigan in his home town.

[www.rodigan.com]
August 24, 2014 02:15PM
If I can jump on this thread......I will also be visiting London Sept 2-7. I will be busy most days talking aquaponics to EU folks, but have nights free UP and looking for Irie runnings. I see Rodigan is a bit south of town (Isle of Wight) on the 5th, but also the same night in London is Hollie Cook so I think I will make that one. Besides that I only found a DJ (Bakermat) playing Sat night.

Anyone have any other pointers. I take directions well!

icharlie
August 24, 2014 06:19PM
icharlie,

a couple of things from the rastaites website:

and

That Jah Shaka soundsystem show was a killa -- long time since I've gone til 4am!!
August 24, 2014 07:00PM
Walter
That Jah Shaka soundsystem show was a killa -- long time since I've gone til 4am!!

Awesome! Glad you got to check Jah Shaka! How was the sound pressure?
August 24, 2014 08:48PM
oh yeah! and NO PULLUPS!! My kinda vibes! Will be nice to reason with like-minded idren...Bless
August 24, 2014 08:59PM
like this

August 25, 2014 07:46PM
Dr Suess

I don't know about Earl Sixteen but Michael Prophet was there in 2006.

Prophet was there in 2006...Earl Sixteen had to cancel. MP put on an outstanding afternoon set on the Valley stage. One of my personal favorites.

respect
September 04, 2014 12:06AM
Ranking Roger and the Beat....I prefer I Roots, but this looks like maybe a classic catch...Any advice?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 12:08AM by aquaponics.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login