Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do you organize your vinyl

Posted by SommerKind 
How do you organize your vinyl
August 13, 2014 10:53PM
Before anybody harps, I did the search function and turned up nothing, although I am pretty sure this has been discussed before. Trying to get an idea of the various way that people organize their reggae vinyl collections. I currently organize mine strictly by artist first name, in alphabetical order. I keep my 7", 10" and 12" separate, LP's also on their own. I would imagine this to be the most basic technique. It works, but I feel it is lacking. Makes it difficult to round of collections of a particular riddim being the biggest challenge.

I am very interested in hearing some other opinions on this subject.

Thanks
Re: How do you organize your vinyl
August 13, 2014 11:13PM
1. Current set (LP/45)
2. Ass shakers(LP/45)
3. Fun/interesting/valuable collectibles(LP)
4. top shelf(LP/45)
5. everything else not organized(LP)

LOL, I asked my kid to alphabetize the sections but that lasted about 2 minutes. Yeah, the laptoppers are winning in organization but thats not fun.
August 13, 2014 11:32PM
awe the old meaning of life question.
August 13, 2014 11:34PM
In all seriousness.

LPs Alphabetic.

10's by label

45" by riddum or label or artist depending on the kind of music. For instance i love my jah cure 45's so there is a section for him even though i also have a Harmony House section.

Confusing as hell.
August 14, 2014 12:29AM
Thanks, this has been helpful. I am also thinking of dividing them up by era: 70's roots, 80's digital, and 90's-2000's Cultural Dancehall / Modern Roots. I can than sub divide those chunks. Of course, if I have a riddim that spans multiple era's...

I think this is part of the enjoyment of collecting vinyl.
August 14, 2014 05:25PM
All 45's Labeled and Organized by riddim. All other 12" and lp's stacked next to each other in custom shelves, need to get to those.
August 14, 2014 05:49PM
7"s, 10"s, 12"s, and LPs each with their own section. Within the LP section I have a singer/DJ section, a compilation section, and a dub/instrumental section.

45s are organized by label unless I only own one on the label, then it's alphabetically by last name following the label-organized ones.

Singers and DJ LPs are organized alphabetically by last name. V/A LPs are organized by title. Dub LPs are organized by engineer.

At one point I had things organized by era/style but some releases are too nebulous to fit neatly into one category I decided.
August 14, 2014 08:13PM
Singles by size and 3 sub genres (roots,digi,dub) then alphabetical by label.

LP's by type (vocal,dub,various) then alphabetical by first name or first title word on some dub or v/a lp's.
August 14, 2014 08:20PM
Coming home from a dance is like folding laundry as soon as it's done. If you don't put your records back first thing, you may just end up taking the same box next time. Like wearing a wrinkled shirt a week later? winking smiley

I do have a fat crate of 12"s and a fat box of 7"s loaded at all times with my current favorite heat.
August 14, 2014 08:23PM
This 1 is in there...cool smiley

August 15, 2014 01:16AM
10", 12" & LPs is another discussion, as is genre sorting, so I'll just address reggae/dancehall 45s. Th method that has worked for me (mostly).

All 45s are grouped by Riddim and then boxed in order of BPM aka Beats Per Minute.
Singles that are not on an established riddim, or if I don't know what it is (hopefully yet), are sorted by artist name alphabetically.

The two main difficulties are 1.) that one riddim may have many names, or 2.) the riddim may vary in BPM depending on the label that recut it. For these issues I just sort with logic and try to remember that the "Drum Song" 45 will be in the Swing Easy riddim section.

The BPM sorting is so that I can grab any box and whatever is close by will mix with its neighbor.

I've seen maaaaaany, many different ways to sort and house vinyl and honestly most of the old school DJs I know just have a crate with no dividers and/or writing on the sleeve to give any info. How this translates to sorting at home is just as varied.

I survive by Sharpie, scrawled info and dividers. Some you recognize by the look of the sleeve or the label and "just know" but when it gets to years and years of collecting, you'll appreciate leaving yourself some notes so you don't forget some of the magic you have just because it got put in the back by newer releases and digging finds.
August 15, 2014 01:28AM
DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive
I survive by Sharpie, scrawled info and dividers.

And copious amounts of Jameson and good ganja! C'mon son! Good times!
August 15, 2014 03:55PM
Recently, I hired a dozen college interns to help me bring some logic to my obsession. In the warehouse office, seven of them are busy at individual workstations. They remove the disc from its sleeve and clean the vinyl with a soft cloth before handing the album to an intern next to her. Then they duck into a black-curtained booth and snap a picture of the cover. Eventually the record makes its way through the assembly line of interns, and its information is logged into a computer database. An intern types the name of the artist (the Animals), the title (“Animalism”), year of release (1966), record label (MGM) and — referencing the tag on the crate the record was pulled from. Interns can collectively catalog about 500 records per day —
August 15, 2014 05:17PM
DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive
I survive by Sharpie, scrawled info and dividers.

Sharpies and dividers are the TRUTH!
August 15, 2014 07:41PM
Excel Cataloguing...

Format (separate file for each), Artist/Artist, Title/Title, Label, Producer, Year, OG/Re, Condition, Quantity, Special Notes

cool smileywinking smiley
August 15, 2014 07:43PM
Last post for the interns. FYI the interns have to share a Glock.
August 15, 2014 07:49PM
Stevo
Excel Cataloguing...

Format (separate file for each), Artist/Artist, Title/Title, Label, Producer, Year, OG/Re, Condition, Quantity, Special Notes

cool smileywinking smiley

Your welcome to come set me up like that! We can work out a tradeeee
August 15, 2014 11:08PM
As simply and easy it can be.....Alphabetical order by First name and V/A by name of the album. No Lps on my collection though
Greetings from Lima
August 16, 2014 02:53PM
in boxes and on shelves....basically a lost cause unless you have nothing else to do for days and weeks on end
....I never knew that records were such a leisure life activity until I got busy after acquiring all these records over the years when I was not busy.
August 18, 2014 12:44AM
Thanks for all the great advice

Why is sorting by label important? Because records from the same label will "sonically" sound similar when mixing them?

Why do 10" records exist?
August 18, 2014 04:30AM
in my experience 10 inch records are hella clean with 4 laaarge tracks and dubs
2 big tracks to a side beats 7's which many times waste the b-side
10's are waaay more manageable than LP size singles although the sound is laaarge on 12's
10's exist because some european press conceived of it I imagine.
more vinyl me seh. respect sameway
August 18, 2014 04:44AM
10" records are used now by folks who produce reggae music mainly because that is the predominant size used when it comes to acetates, which is the original "dubplate" format.
August 18, 2014 05:02AM
When you sort by label you maximize the common denominator within any given section of sorting. There is more likely to be matching riddims, artists, vibes and often eras within that label's section. If you sort by artist you may end up having a few huge sections for certain artists and way too many one record artists. Like staggering an "alphabetical by artist" method amongst a few artists with large outputs. Sorting by riddim definitely has it's purpose if you juggle 45's. But if one doesn't, there's really not enough matching riddims out there to make it more worthwhile than it is confusing.

I personally like to sight the producer them when it comes to records. Because so much of the vibe on so many records can be credited to the producer. If you're feeling that vibe, look no further, you're already at that spot in your box/shelf/collection. It's pretty cool to line up a bunch of Greensleeves or Live & Love 12"s and see how many you got too. Or to wonder when this massive string of Star Trail 45's ends... Jammy's... Studio One...
August 18, 2014 05:03AM
I will add too that when you sort by label there already exists a significant visual aid in the label design.
August 18, 2014 11:48PM
I sort 45s alphabetically by riddim and single 45s alphabetical by artist
10" I sort by sub genre and then by bpm
albums and EPs in alphabetical order by artist
12" singles and disco mixes sorted by sub genre and then alphabetical by artist

Respect Same Way
August 19, 2014 07:54AM
My collection is built around a Dubwise style.... so I usually try to keep it together by Studio/Producer.... all my 7" b-side versions live together.... The non Dub releases have their own little section where they all just kinda reside randomly.... Jah guides my hand when selecting from those.... And a few artists, like Sugar Minott or Barry Brown get their own section, due to the large amount of their works that i have regardless of style....

digitally, i just let iTunes do the organizing..... smoking smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login