Advanced

This weekend>>> Seattle International Reggae Festival

Posted by spliffp 
This weekend>>> Seattle International Reggae Festival
August 22, 2014 12:49AM
Great lineup here in Seattle on Saturday.....Portland roll thru

Re: This weekend>>> Seattle International Reggae Festival
August 22, 2014 10:47AM
Wow, this an excellent lineup! I already have plans to see Ziggy Marley the same day, but next year I'm going to check this festival out for sure.
August 22, 2014 05:32PM
that is a nice one !!

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
August 22, 2014 10:04PM

...tho Etana is no longer on the lineup...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 23, 2014 12:54AM
you going danny?

we thought about it and almost committed but need to save $ for needed home repairs...think we'll be heading to lost lake for fishing and hiking instead.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
August 23, 2014 05:59AM
cannot afford it and really would rather do my program...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
August 23, 2014 07:38AM
Way tempted, but I got big plans the next weekend and am saving up for vacation Nov./Dec.
Besides we got a pretty significant show here the next day with Abja and Ras Attitude.
August 27, 2014 09:31PM
Anybody go to this? If I was sure all the artists would have been there, I would have gone.
August 27, 2014 10:02PM
It was a great show with poor attendance. All artists were there except for Etana. Ranking Joe put on a killer set and it was my first time seeing him. Fenton played a bit to long as per usual. Dawn Penn wasn't all that exciting either. Sister Carol ran it like always and Mykal Rose was on par. Pablo Moses was one of the highlights and he had his OG revolutionary dream band there. Cocoa Tea was so good, ran thru so many of his hits and had such great energy even after coming on close to 3am. It was my first time seeing Cocoa Tea and he didn't disappoint. The venue was ok, just so hard to be indoors for 12 hours when it was so nice outside. They had speakers pumping outside and bleachers to sit on so you could kick it outside and hear the music. A few food trucks, and a hand full of vendors outside as well. Overall it was a great show/fest put on by Al (Caribbean Productions) but not many folks showed up.
August 27, 2014 10:40PM
It needed better promotion to imporve attendance. The word should have been out about it at least a couple of months in advance throughout the NorthWest and N. California. Instead I only heard about it a week in advance. Really short notice when you have to make plans to travel and arrange lodgings.
August 28, 2014 01:14AM
Jah Mike
It needed better promotion to imporve attendance. The word should have been out about it at least a couple of months in advance throughout the NorthWest and N. California. Instead I only heard about it a week in advance. Really short notice when you have to make plans to travel and arrange lodgings.

On some level you are correct....However, for a one day festival what we really needed is 100-200 more people from Seattle to attend. Counting on folks traveling here for a 1 day fest probably wouldn't be the focus when most folks from 3 miles away didn't even show up.

Next year will be better and outdoors....
August 28, 2014 02:01AM
Thanks for the great review. Is that for real, next year it will be outdoors?
The exceptional radio show "Chantdown Babylon" streamed on KAOSradio.org from Olympia, Wa on Saturday evenings from
6-8PM was giving this festival quite a bit of pub for several weeks in advance. Too bad for the low turnout.
August 28, 2014 04:29AM
spliffp
Jah Mike

On some level you are correct....However, for a one day festival what we really needed is 100-200 more people from Seattle to attend. Counting on folks traveling here for a 1 day fest probably wouldn't be the focus when most folks from 3 miles away didn't even show up.

Next year will be better and outdoors....

But if you spread the word at least to larger cities in WA and OR, you will get more people, especially if you get the word out early. I could help you with Portland, so could Ras Danny and Mosqito Killer. Yabbey You Fan knows Salem. With a little networking you shouldn't have much problem finding someone who knows the scene in Eugene and some of the larger WA cities outside of Seattle.
August 28, 2014 04:41AM
I just felt $75 was a bit much to be spending 12 hours in Kings Hall...which is not one of Seattle's decent venues. Hard to pull a Seattle crowd to an indoor session when the weather outside is so nice.

respect
August 28, 2014 05:01PM
I had about 50 posters up in Portland for this event. Al told mi he was going to put ad's in PDX rags but i never saw dem... were there ad's in papers around Seattle? I also often shared the event page on fb but don't think any real effort was put into that as it only garnered about 60 'Goings'... I would say that the promotions were far from adequate for a set this large... gotta SPEND money to MAKE money...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
August 28, 2014 05:53PM
Here, let me fix that for you Ras Danny:

gotta SPEND money to MAKE LOSE LESS money...
August 29, 2014 01:11AM
well, that's the result but I was speaking of the concept...

still You also gotta spend money to get people in the gates...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2014 03:48PM by Ras Danny.
August 29, 2014 05:37PM
Yes, he had promos in the weekly paper for the past 5-6 weeks and some on the 2nd page even. Still the promo was light I would say, and the reality is the scene up here has been struggling for a while now.
August 29, 2014 06:00PM
Bring Cocoa Tea to SNWMF2015.... There WILL be a full house to enjoy his show.....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
August 29, 2014 06:13PM

Bring Cocoa Tea to SNWMF2015.... There WILL be a full house to enjoy his show.....

AGREED!!!!!
AJ
August 29, 2014 09:17PM
2014......the summer of Michael Rose....wow he's everywhere!
Killer lineup.
September 01, 2014 03:36PM
Yes the amount of shows Mykal Roze has headlined this summer on the west coast could be an all time record. Surely everyone knows his name.
September 01, 2014 03:46PM
maybe one thing that is not a good look with this 'festival' is that it was mostly Kings Music International artists that have all been through the area at least once in (quite possibly) EACH of the last few years... SIRF offered nothing 'out of the ordinary'... and I think people don't wanna go for the same old same old... jus a thought.

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
September 01, 2014 05:44PM
I disagree Ras Danny. Cocoa Tea hardly ever comes around. We boardies have been pleading with SNWMF to bring him back for years! Same thing with Ranking Joe. I see your point with the other artists, but Cocoa Tea alone was worth the admission price.
September 03, 2014 06:14AM
Reggabe
I disagree Ras Danny. Cocoa Tea hardly ever comes around. We boardies have been pleading with SNWMF to bring him back for years! Same thing with Ranking Joe. I see your point with the other artists, but Cocoa Tea alone was worth the admission price.

Also Ranking Joe. I don't know about Seattle, but I've never seen him in Portland/
September 03, 2014 09:56PM
A bit bummed I didn't go to this event. I wouldn't say the poor turnout was a case of the artists being overexposed. Cocoa Tea certainly hasn't been to Seattle for many many years. Ranking Joe, the other artist who I really wanted to see, hasn't been to Seattle for a few years when he toured with Twilight Circus if I'm remembering correctly.

Part of the reason for the poor turnout surely was the venue—Kings Hall's sound quality and location are not ideal—and the nice weather outside. My own reason for not attending the festival was Caribbean Blu's very disappointing handling of a Michigan and Smiley concert last year. Only Michigan performed and there was zero explanation given by the promoters why Smiley never appeared. Perhaps Smiley was ill but a disagreement over money seems more likely to me. Not to say Carribean Blu was in the wrong if it was a money problem. It was certainly wrong, however, for Carribean Blu to offer no explanation at all.

It would be cool to see a line-up like this perform at an outdoor festival. Perhaps NW Homegrown could add some artists (including Clinton Fearon!) that are known outside of the west coast reggae scene.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2014 12:36AM by Billy_Boom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login