Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lee Scratch Perry Show at Santa Monica Beach

Posted by Rhythmwize 
Lee Scratch Perry Show at Santa Monica Beach
August 29, 2014 06:46PM
For those of you in Southern Cali, if you didnt see Lee Scratch Perry at the Santa Monica Pier/Beach Thursday evening, you missed out on a good one...a classic!

Every year about this time they have a reggae concert night there as one of many shows held each Thursday evening throughout the summer.

Last year they had Jimmy Cliff, but this year it was Lee Scratch Perry, wow, thats carrying it to another level...ha ha

I didnt even know he was still performing, the last time I saw him was in Hollywood about 15 years ago.

He's like 78 years old now and as we were driving down to the beach we speculating on what the odds were that he would even show up...I gave him a 50-50 chance of making it up on stage.

You can watch the show from the pier or from the beach next to the pier. We choose the beach as you can lay down a blanket and bring a cooler with beer or wine. At 8pm as the backing band started, there must have been 5000 people sitting on the beach partying and listening to hardcore dub music being pumped out onto the beach with a massive speaker system. A glorious warm evening with temps in the mid-70's, it just doesn't get any better then that. Only in California!

Lee Perry came on about 8:30pm or so and entertained for about 90 mintutes until the event closed at 10pm. I don't think most in the crowd knew who he was or what he was saying or singing but everyone was in high spirits and having a great time. I thought the whole scene was quite surreal and unusual and made me laugh out loud. And there were hundreds of people arriving on bikes from down the beach and most had colored LED lights on their wheels, quite a sight.

And it was all FREE...although we paid $15 to park close by you can find a spot to park for free if you want to walk a couple blocks.

I'm sure glad we decided to go, the whole thing far exceeded my expectations and we had no problems in spite of the large crowd.
Re: Lee Scratch Perry Show at Santa Monica Beach
August 29, 2014 07:35PM

My favorite Lee Perry chune: Colt The Game

" Who shot King Tubby's? Big Scandal inna Jam-Down! "
August 29, 2014 08:42PM
WOW Rhythmwize!!! That sounds incredible!
I tried catching Scratch @ Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz but unfortunately a Sunday night out is kinda hard.
Im so regretting it right now, who needs sleep anyways. (kicking rocks)
Thank you for sharing an Epic night!
AJ
August 29, 2014 09:01PM
The Twilight Concert Series has been running for many years. Always a wonderful lineup.
I went twice..... once for the Babylon Warriors summer 88 and once for Joe Higgs summer 93 (?). The sound was perfect for being outdoors and next to the ocean.
Last time I saw Lee Perry was winter 2012 in Tucson. Great show with Family Man's Wailers on the same bill.

Good to hear things are still going fine at the Santa Monica Pier!
August 30, 2014 02:42AM
Yup....unforgettable performance...living legend for sure....he played a few bob tracks with his own twist and souns. Obviously a awesome, i swear i felt bons presence. ...same when he cranked out an agustus Pablo tune....it was on fire! Chase the devil (max Romeo) was also top shelf. He also has an art exhibition in los angeles starting today until mid sept. I believe...1love.
September 02, 2014 08:01PM
Nice report Rhythmwize, great to see that someone thought well of his live performance-'quite surreal and unusual' LOL .

MY personal fave:

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
September 02, 2014 10:16PM
He put on a good show here in PDX relatively recently. I think it was last summer or the summer berfore. Truly one of a kind.
September 03, 2014 01:09AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login