Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New venue for tribute to the legends San Diego...

Posted by gabertron 
New venue for tribute to the legends San Diego...
December 10, 2014 11:39PM
Looks like a new venue? Balboa park/cultural plaza...near the world beat center...sweet!!
Re: New venue for tribute to the legends San Diego...
December 11, 2014 12:09AM
yeah... theres 2 outdoor amphitheaters and the starlight theater in that park... curious exactly where they will have it and how it will work out

Respect Same Way
December 11, 2014 12:37AM
Per their website, this is where the tribute will be held next February:

December 11, 2014 12:44AM
CHRONIXX PATO BANTON TONY TUFF

MICHAEL PALMER TRISTON PALMER ADMIRAL TIBET

MAD PROFESSOR THE MIGHTY DIAMONDS GROUNDATION

PROTOJE SISTER CAROL TWINKLE BROTHERS

LUCIANO DON CARLOS
Description
SAT, FEB 14th ~ SUN, FEB 15th

THIS IS WORLDBEAT CULTURAL CENTER'S LARGEST FUNDRAISER OF THE YEAR. THIS ANNUAL EVENT WILL BE OUR 1ST FUNDRAISER OF 2015. THE MUCH NEEDED REVENUE FROM THIS EVENT SUPPORTS THE FOLLOWING NOT FOR PROFIT PROGRAMS:

> CHILDREN'S OUTDOOR CLASSROOM & GARDEN
> SUMMER & WINTER KIDS PERFORMING ARTS CAMP
> ARTISTS IN SCHOOL / AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
> BALBOA PARK 5TH GRADE PROGRAM

TICKET SALES GENERATED BY TRIBUTE TO THE LEGENDS 2015 HELP WORLDBEAT CENTER PROVIDE FREE EVENTS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR INCLUDING:

> MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY
> KWANZAA
> MULTI CULTURAL EARTH DAY
> INTERNATIONAL PEACE DAY
> MARCUS GARVEY DAY

YOUR TICKET PURCHASE WILL KEEP ALL OF THESE PROGRAMS GOING AND WILL CONTINUE THE WORLDBEAT CENTER'S MISSION IN SERVING THE COMMUNITIES OF ALL COLOR, ALL RACES AND ALL PEOPLE.

34th Annual
Tribute to the Reggae
LEGENDS
BOB DAY
2 DAY REGGAE FESTIVAL - THE REGGAE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD!

SAT, FEB 14th - lineup
CHRONIXX
THE MIGHTY DIAMONDS
SISTER CAROL
JOHNNY OSBOURNE
TRISTON PALMER
MICHAEL PALMER
TONY TUFF

SUN, FEB 15th - lineup
DON CARLOS
TWINKLE BROTHERS
LUCIANO
PROTOJE
GROUNDATION
PATO BANTON
MAD PROFESSOR
ADMIRAL TIBET
LINEUP ARTISTS & SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Tribute to the Reggae Legends Festival / Bob Day, has been an annual event in San Diego for 33 years now. The Annual Festival is one of Southern California’s largest Reggae events. WorldBeat Productions has been the spearhead for bringing Reggae Music to San Diego with artists like Peter Tosh, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Bunny Wailer, Mikey Dread, Black Uhuru, Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, Lucky Dube, Jimmy Cliff and the brightest stars from Africa, Latin America, Europe and Asia.

More info go to:
www.TributetotheLegends.com
#REGGAEUNDERGROUNDRAILROAD
Additional Information
www.TributetotheLegends.com Line up subject to change

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2014 12:45AM by Redeye.
December 12, 2014 06:48PM
Lineup looks awesome! Anyone have any thoughts about where to stay if we attend this?
December 19, 2014 03:17AM
Not sure what that is a pic of, but that's definitely not balboa Park. I don't know why they put a picture of that up?
December 19, 2014 03:18AM
Anywhere in downtown San Diego is close to the park. Some hotels even offer shuttles up the street to balboa
February 04, 2015 06:22AM
HUGE improvement from that loud ass hell hole of a stadium. Now, if only Makeda Dread can have a muzzle put on her during the show, it will be blissful.
February 05, 2015 10:14PM
good luck with that.........jcom
February 10, 2015 09:18PM
Has anyone heard about any possible replacements for Midnite at this show? I'm making the drive out from AZ on Saturday.
February 10, 2015 10:05PM
Can any band really replace Midnite?
February 11, 2015 01:44AM
Sunday's the better day anyway (except for the Diamonds on Sat).

Makeda, if you're reading this, STAY OFF THE MIC!
February 11, 2015 05:44PM
Rossta

eye rolling smiley

Phish?
February 11, 2015 07:20PM
jcom
Sunday's the better day anyway (except for the Diamonds on Sat).

Makeda, if you're reading this, STAY OFF THE MIC!

in the end, its her thing.. until someone else comes along putting together a better product, then you have to deal with playing with her toys.. in her sandbox.

dollars talk and while her dollars keep coming, she'll say what she wants on her mic.. to her captive audience.
February 11, 2015 07:25PM
i may try to do a thing this saturday... will see

forecast looks good.
February 12, 2015 05:03PM
"Sunday's the better day anyway (except for the Diamonds on Sat). "

I'm pretty sure you forgot Chronixx is on Saturday.
February 12, 2015 07:52PM
It looks like they decided that they have sold enough tickets so why replace Midnite when they can just pocket that money. Shady business to have a headliner cancel and not provide a replacement. When Johhny Osbourne dropped off the lineup, he was replaced by Midnite. They still had tickets to sell at that point I guess.

I'm always impressed by how SNWMF promptly brings quality replacements when an artist cancels.
February 12, 2015 08:01PM
SCRoots
Rossta

eye rolling smiley

Phish?

smileys with beer
February 12, 2015 08:05PM
miguel
Not sure what that is a pic of, but that's definitely not balboa Park. I don't know why they put a picture of that up?

[www.cambridgefolkfestival.co.uk]

?????????????????????????????
February 13, 2015 02:52AM
Now thats funny!

Love that reggae!
February 13, 2015 05:01PM
niceup
It looks like they decided that they have sold enough tickets so why replace Midnite when they can just pocket that money. Shady business to have a headliner cancel and not provide a replacement. When Johhny Osbourne dropped off the lineup, he was replaced by Midnite. They still had tickets to sell at that point I guess.

I'm always impressed by how SNWMF promptly brings quality replacements when an artist cancels.

Chronixx should still be headlining Saturday. I don't think Johnny Osbourne or his replacement were set to headline. Hard to replace that cancellation when DC is already on the bill, is mr stiddly diddly available? Sierra always sets the bar high for a CA world music festival.
February 15, 2015 02:14AM
I just heard on Facebook that this event is cancelled? Kind of a late notice, no?
February 15, 2015 03:13AM
I don't know about your Facebook cancellation, but I just saw some footage of Triston Palma on stage, so TTRLs is definitely happening...!
February 15, 2015 08:41AM
Chronixx set was great !!!
February 17, 2015 08:25AM
Chronixx and the twinkle brothers were highlights for me. Security at the venue was ridiculous. Full pat down at the gate, no smoking inside the venue, police on the roof of the world beat center with binoculars looking for people smoking, roving security and police looking for people smoking. Quite a difference from previous years.
February 17, 2015 02:38PM
i was going to go, but decided not to.. didnt want to expose my youth to a potential contact high... but it looks like that wouldnt have been the case after all.

miguel
Chronixx and the twinkle brothers were highlights for me. Security at the venue was ridiculous. Full pat down at the gate, no smoking inside the venue, police on the roof of the world beat center with binoculars looking for people smoking, roving security and police looking for people smoking. Quite a difference from previous years.
February 17, 2015 10:59PM
February 18, 2015 12:32AM
Police with binoculars looking for people smoking weed? That seems a little far-fetched. It's practically legal to smoke here in the bay area, I guess it depends on the jurisdiction. I mean, I know it's still illegal, but seems like most police around here turn the other cheek if they see someone smoking a joint at a music show...
February 18, 2015 01:26AM
I'm curious about the tent in the picture? Was it similar?
February 18, 2015 01:44AM
Reggabe
Police with binoculars looking for people smoking weed? That seems a little far-fetched. It's practically legal to smoke here in the bay area, I guess it depends on the jurisdiction. I mean, I know it's still illegal, but seems like most police around here turn the other cheek if they see someone smoking a joint at a music show...

February 18, 2015 07:19AM
The security at this show was absurd. We waited in line for 45 minutes to get in due to how they were searching people. As a result, we missed Michael Palmer and part of Tristan Palmer. In addition to herb, they were confiscating lighters and cigarettes at the gate. If security saw someone so much as reach into their pocket inside the show, they would make people empty their pockets in search of anything they could confiscate. I have never seen anything like it.

The promoters of this show are bush league all the way. There were 4 bands on the bill for Saturday's show that did not play nor were they replaced on the lineup. The only one that the promoters announced ahead of time was Midnite, though that likely only happened because Midnite sent out a press release that their entire tour was cancelled. Tony Tuff, Quinto Sol, and Alika were absent from the lineup with running times that was released on Facebook the day of show. Otherwise, there was no mention of the fact that they would not be performing. The Tony Tuff absence was very disappointing for me as I have never seen him before.

In addition, the promoters didn't bother to mention in any promotional material for the concert that their would be no beer sales at the venue. It was a surprise to everyone after finally getting into the venue. It would be one thing if they advertised the show as a family friendly show, a la Rebel Salute, but that wasn't the case. They also didn't advertise that you couldn't even bring cigarettes or lighters into the show. It was not even easy to buy a bottle of water inside the venue.

I suppose that you can't be honest with your customers if it is going to make it more difficult for you to separate them from the their $$.

On the good side, the artist's perfomances that I did see were fantastic. The sound, especially the bass, was great at the main stage.

- Chronixx played for 90 minutes and he definitely showed that he is worthy of headlining. He put on a great show for the people. The Zinc Fence band was very tight. Their bassie was killing it. I would love to see Chronixx hold down the 8:00 Saturday night time slot at SNWMF.

- It was my first time seeing Admiral Tibet and he exceeded expectations. He was in great form and the ikronic band killed it. It was a very upbeat show.

- Sister Carol, with ikronic band backing her, was very good as usual.

- Ranking Joe closed out the night on the indoor stage. I only caught the first half of his performance but he was in fine form as always. I really hope to see him someday soon at SNWMF. He would be perfect for Friday night under the redwoods on the small stage followed by an appearance in the dancehall.

I made the five hour drive from AZ on Saturday morning to go to this show. Despite all of the absurdity, Chronixx's performance alone made the trip worth it.
February 18, 2015 10:48PM
Thanks for review niceup. Sounds like an event I won't ever be attending, regardless of the line-up. How un-irie can you be? Quite a contrast from the security at these NorCal shows. NorCal > SoCal every time!
February 18, 2015 11:41PM
Reggabe, my feelings exactly, an event i won't ever be attending. I went to school in so cal, and they would do that @#$%& at some of the rock shows, lineups of cops...why bother.

Love that reggae!
February 19, 2015 04:54AM
nomotrouble
Reggabe, my feelings exactly, an event i won't ever be attending. I went to school in so cal, and they would do that @#$%& at some of the rock shows, lineups of cops...why bother.

Im with you guys. I was thinking of going, but glad I didn't. It sounds like the shows they used to have in Long Beach, only worse.
February 19, 2015 03:51PM
Too be fair, they did say it was going to be back at the other venue next year where there wasn't the same security issues. Also, it was still fun. I can deal with the no alcohol thing, and if you were sly enough you could still smoke.
February 19, 2015 04:31PM
Let me get this strait. NO WEED NO BEER, and you had to listen to Makada Dread speak her non sense too. Sad day for me. THis was the festival that started it all for me and I have even gone on to start my own Chico Bob Day after this festival. I hope one day it can return to the great SOLD OUT a week in advance show it used to be.
February 19, 2015 06:22PM
Wow!!!!

niceup
Reggabe

February 19, 2015 09:45PM
San Diego is anti-ganja, all the way, right now!!!! The new Mayor is a huge righty>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. I am going to stay North of Orange County for a while. Sorry San D. sad smiley
February 19, 2015 10:27PM
Hey, Jah Mike, i was referring to Long Beach actually, we used to go to the Long Beach Arena for shows, and the forum in LA. Late 1970's. It was worse there. I was warned at a new years show at the forum so i hid it in my shoe. They had barrels of weed and stuff they confiscated. I wanted that barrel. The LA sheriff was a nazi, i can't remember his name.

Love that reggae!
February 20, 2015 01:09AM
nomotrouble
Hey, Jah Mike, i was referring to Long Beach actually, we used to go to the Long Beach Arena for shows, and the forum in LA. Late 1970's. It was worse there. I was warned at a new years show at the forum so i hid it in my shoe. They had barrels of weed and stuff they confiscated. I wanted that barrel. The LA sheriff was a nazi, i can't remember his name.

There's no business like shoe business....
February 20, 2015 01:58AM
Sounds like the attendees should have nibbled on some herbal edibles throughout the day to keep the level nice. I still can't believe my eyes when I look at that photo of the security/cop on the roof top with binoculars, that's just down right crazy!!!

On a side note, any news on who/what happened to Midnite? My thougthts and prayers are with the Midnite camp.

Peace, Mikey J.
February 20, 2015 08:00PM
i enjoyed it, and liked the setting. very much.

personally would have liked a bit fuller sound from both stages but i know the event was working within confines, so i think what we got was good. probably right where it needed to be.

for me there was no bad feeling with police or security, but i don't smoke or drink and have nothing to hide so there was really nothing for me to feel. i go to these shows for the music, and there was nothing preventing me from getting plenty of that. very nice time.

a highlight for me was little john. i don't know how a singer can be hard as hell but smooth as silk, but that's what little john is like. the only down side was that i didn't have a girl with me to scrub.

and i know a lot of people are looking at chronixx as the flag-bearer for JA music right now, but the poor kid seemed to be under pressure, almost like a slightly reluctant "star" (or at least one within the tiny world of JA music). it looked to me like he's really somewhat of an introvert, a songwriter who didn't mind performing, still trying to reconcile his new position with himself (once elected as the current "flag-bearer" there are LOTS of people who begin to ingratiate themselves and involve themselves, and lots of people that begin to depend on him and his performances as a money machine). the look was actually somewhat similar to what some of us saw in the tonight show thing. it was still good, and this is not a knock against him. i hope all goes well for him. not an easy position to be in.

as for the administration end of the show, i did hear there was great difficulty in getting permits, but i also know that permitting is not always easy (and not always meant to be -- sometimes applicants have to demonstrate certain capabilities and don't like the process of doing so). the relationship between wbc and the city has been bumpy recently and although i don't know i kind of wonder if one affected the other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login