Advanced

I Can't Breathe

Posted by Daniel 
I Can't Breathe
December 23, 2014 02:57PM
Hands Up!!!

Re: I Can't Breathe
December 28, 2014 07:30PM
Very appropriate song for the past and present times we live in.....
December 30, 2014 04:20PM
Unfortunately, David Hinds seems to be ignorant of the facts of these cases. Can't blame him, so is half of America.
December 30, 2014 06:34PM
Eric Garner is quite clear. The others are a bit cloudy so I'm neutral there.

That said what are these facts we should all be aware of
December 30, 2014 06:56PM

Unfortunately, David Hinds seems to be ignorant of the facts of these cases. Can't blame him, so is half of America.

Why call names rather than edifying us as to the true "facts of these cases" Ras2?
December 30, 2014 08:39PM
doesn't appear to be any name calling - Mr Bone is merely pointing he is ignorant of the facts which is completely different from
calling him ignorant.
December 30, 2014 11:49PM
January 02, 2015 01:18AM
I would never call David Hinds ignorant. I've been lucky enough to interview him on sevral occasions, once about his involvement with the Justice for Trayvon movement. I consider David Hinds to be one of the most eloquent writers with respect to the black struggle in the US and abroad and someone who should be looked up to by the youth of today as a legitimate civil rights leader. Just consider how many people he has reached throughout the world using the medium of music to spread his message. I would argue that he is far more influential and a much more effective communicator than any of the so-called "civil rights" leaders in the US.

Let me firstacknowledge that there are real and significant problems with respect to disparate treatment of blacks by law enforcement and the criminal justice system.

The main point I was making when I said that David is ignorant of the facts is that the media, especially the mainstream US and several European media news sources (Guardian and Observer in particular) for months ran with the false narrative that Michael Brown was murdered as he was attempting to surrender with his hands up saying "Don't Shoot" (which is what his accomplice Dorian Johnson came out and said right after it happened). In the US we had the media, tens of thousands of protesters, professional athletes, civil rights leaders, and the Congressional Black Caucus plan and stage protests around this anthem "Hands Up, Don't Shoot." The media successfully turned the case into one about race, when it had absolutely nothing to do with race. Brown had just committed a strong-armed robbery of a local store (minority-owned by the way) and fit the description of the robber. Not to mention, he had the stolen property in his possession, which he handed off to his accomplice so that he could attack the officer.

According to the grand jury, which deliberated on the case for nearly 5 months, Brown's hands were never up and he never said "Don't Shoot." Instead, what the facts reveal is that he approached the officer (who was still in his vehicle) grabbed his gun (which by that point was pointed at Brown) and said "you don't have the balls to shoot me." He then attempted to wrestle the gun away from the officer, and even turned the gun against the officer during the struggle. Shots went off while they struggled over the gun in the car. Brown began to flee the scene...officer gave pursuit...Brown doubled back and "bumrushed the cop" at which point he was killed.

To further inflame the situation, we had a race-obsessed Attorney General who instantly launched criminal and civil rights investigations into the Ferguson police department without even knowing the facts of the case, basically indicting the police officer and the department before the first fact was known.

So, in my humble opinion, anyone who is still perpetrating this lie that Michael Brown was murdered in cold blood as he was trying to surrender is totally devoid of credibility. Its just disappointing that David is till perpetrating this false narrative because it really calls into question his credibility.

[www.washingtonpost.com]
January 05, 2015 08:12PM
ras2thebone
I would never call David Hinds ignorant. I've been lucky enough to interview him on sevral occasions, once about his involvement with the Justice for Trayvon movement. I consider David Hinds to be one of the most eloquent writers with respect to the black struggle in the US and abroad and someone who should be looked up to by the youth of today as a legitimate civil rights leader. Just consider how many people he has reached throughout the world using the medium of music to spread his message. I would argue that he is far more influential and a much more effective communicator than any of the so-called "civil rights" leaders in the US.

Let me firstacknowledge that there are real and significant problems with respect to disparate treatment of blacks by law enforcement and the criminal justice system.

The main point I was making when I said that David is ignorant of the facts is that the media, especially the mainstream US and several European media news sources (Guardian and Observer in particular) for months ran with the false narrative that Michael Brown was murdered as he was attempting to surrender with his hands up saying "Don't Shoot" (which is what his accomplice Dorian Johnson came out and said right after it happened). In the US we had the media, tens of thousands of protesters, professional athletes, civil rights leaders, and the Congressional Black Caucus plan and stage protests around this anthem "Hands Up, Don't Shoot." The media successfully turned the case into one about race, when it had absolutely nothing to do with race. Brown had just committed a strong-armed robbery of a local store (minority-owned by the way) and fit the description of the robber. Not to mention, he had the stolen property in his possession, which he handed off to his accomplice so that he could attack the officer.

According to the grand jury, which deliberated on the case for nearly 5 months, Brown's hands were never up and he never said "Don't Shoot." Instead, what the facts reveal is that he approached the officer (who was still in his vehicle) grabbed his gun (which by that point was pointed at Brown) and said "you don't have the balls to shoot me." He then attempted to wrestle the gun away from the officer, and even turned the gun against the officer during the struggle. Shots went off while they struggled over the gun in the car. Brown began to flee the scene...officer gave pursuit...Brown doubled back and "bumrushed the cop" at which point he was killed.

To further inflame the situation, we had a race-obsessed Attorney General who instantly launched criminal and civil rights investigations into the Ferguson police department without even knowing the facts of the case, basically indicting the police officer and the department before the first fact was known.

So, in my humble opinion, anyone who is still perpetrating this lie that Michael Brown was murdered in cold blood as he was trying to surrender is totally devoid of credibility. Its just disappointing that David is till perpetrating this false narrative because it really calls into question his credibility.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Bullshit - Faux snooze talking points.

Remember, any system has, built into itself, means to protect itself.
January 05, 2015 09:42PM
January 05, 2015 09:45PM
I am saddened to say it appears from the testimony and accounts that mike brown attacked the cop and went for his gun. If I or anyone else for that matter went for the cops gun we would probably get killed. Not everyone would get murdered by cops for selling loosey cigarettes or brandishing a pellet gun. These cases are criminal and disturbing in nature. But as thinking people we must distinguish the facts of the particular cases, though the thing as a whole is frikkin disturbing.
January 08, 2015 09:36PM
strikkly
I am saddened to say it appears from the testimony and accounts that mike brown attacked the cop and went for his gun. If I or anyone else for that matter went for the cops gun we would probably get killed. Not everyone would get murdered by cops for selling loosey cigarettes or brandishing a pellet gun. These cases are criminal and disturbing in nature. But as thinking people we must distinguish the facts of the particular cases, though the thing as a whole is frikkin disturbing.

Well put..
January 09, 2015 06:12AM
Walter
ras2thebone

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Well said Walter. Multiple witnesses testified that Mike Brown had his hands up and was trying to surrender. The grand jury was flummoxed by a racist DA who was trying to make sure Darren Wilson would not go to trial. BTW, there is currently a suit being pressed by a member of the jury over the DA's mishandling of the case. Anybody defending the travesty of justice and calling himself "ras2thebone" is a first class hypocrite as far as I'm concerned.
January 09, 2015 06:33AM
January 09, 2015 09:51PM
Read the article in the link from my previous post if you want to know the truth about the testimony.
January 09, 2015 10:35PM
Movement Music
Read the article in the link from my previous post if you want to know the truth about the testimony.

Already done. I was already aware of that information from a different source. Your link supports everything I have heard about "witness 40".
January 18, 2015 05:36AM
Jah Mike
Walter
ras2thebone

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Well said Walter. Multiple witnesses testified that Mike Brown had his hands up and was trying to surrender. The grand jury was flummoxed by a racist DA who was trying to make sure Darren Wilson would not go to trial. BTW, there is currently a suit being pressed by a member of the jury over the DA's mishandling of the case. Anybody defending the travesty of justice and calling himself "ras2thebone" is a first class hypocrite as far as I'm concerned.

Well considering you don't know @#$%& about me you might be speaking out of turn?

Facts can be inconvenient I know. But you simply cannot dismiss the physical evidence in the case.

All witness testimony that Brown was trying to surrender with his hands up was proven false by the overwhelming physical evidence in the case, which is why the Grand Jury summarily dismissed such claims.

But I guess you know more about what happened than the Grand Jury who studied the facts and physical evidence for 5 months.

I'm sure you have proof that the DA is racist as well.

You are just another using the tactics of the ill-informed. The case had absolutely nothing to do with race. Brown fit the description of a robbery suspect, and was carrying the stolen property.

Funny how those who give weight to the the facts and physical evidence presented to the Grand Jury are ridiculed and belittled by those buying into false narratives and rumor.

The case was decided based on the physical evidence, which again, was overwhelming.
January 19, 2015 08:37PM
ras2thebone
Jah Mike
Walter
ras2thebone

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Well considering you don't know @#$%& about me you might be speaking out of turn?

Facts can be inconvenient I know. But you simply cannot dismiss the physical evidence in the case.

All witness testimony that Brown was trying to surrender with his hands up was proven false by the overwhelming physical evidence in the case, which is why the Grand Jury summarily dismissed such claims.

But I guess you know more about what happened than the Grand Jury who studied the facts and physical evidence for 5 months.

I'm sure you have proof that the DA is racist as well.

You are just another using the tactics of the ill-informed. The case had absolutely nothing to do with race. Brown fit the description of a robbery suspect, and was carrying the stolen property.

Funny how those who give weight to the the facts and physical evidence presented to the Grand Jury are ridiculed and belittled by those buying into false narratives and rumor.

The case was decided based on the physical evidence, which again, was overwhelming.

Sigh, whatever. Just keep believing the "facts" that they spoon feed you on Fox Noise.
January 21, 2015 04:07AM
January 21, 2015 05:06AM
I could listen to the rev's babbling for about 5 minutes and that was it. IMO, he's a self-hating black who is trying to make a name for himself with the white powers that be. Anybody who uses the term "nigger" as often as he uses it and in the context he uses it sure as hell doesn't like black people,
January 21, 2015 05:13AM
bigvein

Cmon now BV..there is way to much truth and common sense in that video. You know most people around here dont want to deal in truth and common sense, they just want to burn Babylon and follow the popular protest of the moment...
January 21, 2015 05:14AM
Jah Mike
I could listen to the rev's babbling for about 5 minutes and that was it. IMO, he's a self-hating black who is trying to make a name for himself with the white powers that be. Anybody who uses the term "nigger" as often as he uses it and in the context he uses it sure as hell doesn't like black people,
lol..and since when is your white self the authority on black people? Actually since when are you an authority on anything? The fact that you are so surprised at his use of the word "nigger" or his vernacular is proof that your exposure to black people and black culture is very limited and filtered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 05:23AM by east bay herbalist.
January 21, 2015 07:02AM
east bay herbalist
Jah Mike
lol..and since when is your white self the authority on black people? Actually since when are you an authority on anything? The fact that you are so surprised at his use of the word "nigger" or his vernacular is proof that your exposure to black people and black culture is very limited and filtered.

I don't pretend to be an authority on anything. I did say it was my opinion. Just standing up for what I believe to be right. And I always stand up for truth and rights and against oppression of black people, been doing it all my life. I've lined in black neighborhoods and regularly talk to black people about this situation and believe me, you better be thankful in that it is me you are arguing with, most of them would tear you a new one.

Anyhow, I'll post some more real information for the massive to go with what Movement Music posted.

Sadly their are so many faux rastas on this site who have the bizarre urge to give aid and comfort to racist murderers.
January 21, 2015 08:00AM
Jah Mike
east bay herbalist
Jah Mike

I don't pretend to be an authority on anything. I did say it was my opinion. Just standing up for what I believe to be right. And I always stand up for truth and rights and against oppression of black people, been doing it all my life. I've lined in black neighborhoods and regularly talk to black people about this situation and believe me, you better be thankful in that it is me you are arguing with, most of them would tear you a new one.

Anyhow, I'll post some more real information for the massive to go with what Movement Music posted.

Sadly their are so many faux rastas on this site who have the bizarre urge to give aid and comfort to racist murderers.
Calm down tough guy, nobody's ripping a new one on anybody around here. You are obviously too blinded by your racist white guilt to see past his skin color and look at the fact, that he was a punk kid playing with fire and got burnt. This is not a race issue, but a social issue. Fact is these kids are wild today and violent aggression towards authority is an everyday thing. In my experience living in Oakland and Richmond Ca attacking or taking shots at cops are nothing new, neither is the cops returning fire or Taking down an aggressor. I hate cops and fully agree that they have too much authority, but I can't argue with common sense either; if you rob a store and then punch the cop that stops you, expect to catch a hot one..I don't care if his hands are up after the fact or not. Thats like saying "with all due respect, your an idiot" and not expecting the person to take offense. Stop making this kid a marter, an inciting racial tension. He didn't die because he was black, he did because he punched a @#$%& cop. You can't do that and expect to walk away from that, I don't care who you are. Now!!! The fact that the cop was a trigger happy coward is another issue also. Both sides played into this tragedy! Eric Garner was murdered Mike Brown committed suicide when he charged a cop. You say you have always stood up for the rights of black people? What have you done to make a difference? Why dont you stand up for oppressed people in general, why single out black people?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 08:11AM by east bay herbalist.
January 21, 2015 09:54AM
OK here's some facts:

There was no robbery.

No robbery

And here's a detailed report of more shenanigans by the prosecutors saving Darren Wilson:
prosecutors throwing the case

An eyewitness to the shooting who testifies that Mike Brown was shot while trying to get away not attacking Wilson
video: [www.youtube.com]

More witness testimony that his hands were up
CNN

And here's an excellent detailed report on how the DA purposely mishandled the case to get the result he wanted.
Prosector defense attorney for Darren Wilson

Cops changing their story..
Police Lie about where Brown was killed

But I guess he deserved it, he did smoke that marijuana.
How many times

And finally the lawsuit against Bob McCulloch.
Lawsuit.

So an young unarmed black man is killed by police and we have a plethora of evidence that he was trying to get away because he feared for his life and we have multiple incidents of police and prosecuters trying to cover up for the officer involved. Hopefully, Mr. Herbalist will find this evidence more compelling than the babbling rev and whenever he is man enough to apologize, I will graciously accept his apology. Sadly, this is not an isolated incident of an unarmed young black person being killed by cops, it's and epidemic. Mike Brown is not a martyr, nor is he a "marter" whatever that is. He is another sad statistic.

By the way, I do not feel any racist guilt, because I am not a racist. Do you know what projecting is? Wish I had a dime for every time I've heard a racist try to accuse someone who is speaking out against racism of being racist. I think it was Rush Limpdick who mastered the technique, all his little dittoheads have it down pat.

I stand up for the rights of all oppressed people. As to what I do: I remain politically active as frustrating as that is and I try to educate others as to what is going on in the world. Maybe its not much, but its more than most do and it is what I can do.

And where did you get that nonsense about him punching the cop? That's a new one on me, but I don't spend much time watching Fox Noise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 10:04AM by Jah Mike.
January 21, 2015 03:17PM
Lol. Your a funny guy.. Why do you think i owe YOU an apology? Who are you and why are you taking it personally?

I dont need your propaganda nor the propaganda of Fox News and MSNBC, both media outlets are responsible for creating a racial and social divide on many issues and cases. Besides, the first video you post shows the kid walking out with iut paying for the cigars and the owner coming out after him. Its very convenient that there is no sound, or that the video only shows the last part of the interaction. Video editing is crazy like that..

So you do nothing but talk and pass propaganda?? I ask, who are you to educate anybody? What have you done with your life that people should listen to you? Myself i work with kids like Mike Brown to turn their life around and get off the street lifeĀ and into a carrer or positive path. I employ ex drug addicts, gang members and am a former of both myself. I give chances to those who have none and second chances to those that work for it. I also work with a local organization and church that fights against human trafficking and prostitution, going on raids of trap houses and safe houses. I give my time and money to help restore shelters for the girls to live in after they have been rescued. I am in these streets working to promote positivity and an alternative life that some folks dont know is available to them. I dont talk about it, i do it. I work with kids that come from areas known as "kill zone" "plymouth rock", kids from gangs like "the mob" "murder squad and burger team". These names might not mean much to you, but in East Oakland they are area and gangs with 13-24 yr old kids that are as deadly and smart as most trained soilders..i dont need a news organization to tell me whats going on and how unjust the world is, i see it everyday, and i know enough to not treat these kids as innocent victims, or believe that they are incapable of assaulting a cop after robbing a convienent store. Your over here shouting about rasicm, but are completely oblivious whats really going on out there. Stop perpetuating racism and acting like a victim.

As far as projecting racism?? My black wife and children would disagree with you on that ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 03:24PM by east bay herbalist.
January 21, 2015 05:58PM
Jah Mike

to me he comes off as someone trying to break blacks from mental slavery. trying to break blacks from the sickeness called 'group think'.. marcus garvey stood for the same..

January 21, 2015 11:15PM
And nobody wants to address the problem of out of control cops indiscriminately killing young blacks.
Mr. Herbalist, if you do as you say, then I salute you. I don't disagree that there are a lot of black (and white) youths that need to change their attitude. Mike Brown may not have been a model citizen, but he sure as hell didn't deserve to be shot down in the street like a dog while running for his life. Do you disagree with that?

As for why anybody should listen to me, I don't know. All I've done is build a successful career for myself despite adversity and a life-long disability. And try to give a damn about my fellow human beings and contribute as best I can to educating others based on my experience and what I know to be true (each one teach one).
January 22, 2015 12:07AM
Politricks aside, I sure miss the 70s - 80s Steel Pulse. Their first five albums were insane. Completely different band now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 08:25AM by jcom.
February 06, 2015 10:52AM
jcom
Politricks aside, I sure miss the 70s - 80s Steel Pulse. Their first five albums were insane. Completely different band now.

Couple things I always respect about Steel Pulse...David Hinds IS one of the greatest songwriters/lyricists reggae has ever known...If you ever get the chance to witness a Steel Pulse sound check do it. It is brutal. David's attention to detail and intolerance for bullshit is legendary. He learned how to properly sound check the band while observing Marley on the 1978 tour they did in Europe. He said Marley was impossible and he had the most disciplined, serious band he's ever seen...perhaps more than any other modern reggae act Steel Pulse lives on the road constantly. Its why they only put out a new studio album every 10 years or so. I respect a 40-year old act still travelling like a brand new act. Serious commitment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login