Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

10 Best New Reggae Artists Of The Last 10 Years

Posted by YabbyYouFan 
10 Best New Reggae Artists Of The Last 10 Years
January 02, 2015 07:22AM
This article came out months ago, but just now have time to post it: [www.jamaicans.com]

I want to hear other people's opinion of where they think artists should be on this list. I think that it can be tough to list artists, since how do you compare some artists and their styles, but I just gage it by the amount of energy and vibe I feel in my gut when listening to artists' songs. I also think longevity has some preference on where this newspaper lists the artists.

I give my general opinions of the artists too, for the sake of discussion. Lets discuss.

1. Tarrus Riley

Not much to argue either way here, he's put out some big tunes and gives one heck of a live performance.

2. Queen Ifrica

Derrick Morgan's daughter has some great tunes, but honestly, don't know enough about her to give my opinion...

3. Alborosie

Pretty close to where I think he should be.

4. Raging Fyah

This band keeps coming out with really good, lively, roots reggae songs. Their performance last year at SNWMF was memorable.

5. Duane Stephenson

New album is really good, but it's tough to say, in my humble opinion, of exactly where he should be on this list...

6. Gentleman

Probably pretty close to where he should be, but one could argue that he should be higher, or lower as well...hmmm...

7. Chronixx

Actually surprised that he's this far down on their list, but to be fair to some of the other artists, he hasn't been around as long as some. Still though, I think he should be listed higher.

8. Romain Virgo

I'm familiar with some of his songs, but not all of them, so I can't really give my opinion here...

9. Protoje

Should be higher up on list. He keeps getting better and better.

10. Kabaka Pyramid

Also should be higher on list, but it's tough to say who should move down behind him! I just know that he's got big tunes and gives a really, really good live performance (one of my favorite performances of SNWMF 2014)

Honorable mention:

Daniel Bambaata Marley-Jamaica
Pentateuch-USA
Esprit de Corps-USA
The Green-USA
Rebulution-Usa
Soljah-USA
Katchafire –New Zealand
Groundation-USA
Slightly Stoopid-USA
JBoog -Hawaii
Iration-USA
Re: 10 Best New Reggae Artists Of The Last 10 Years
January 02, 2015 01:37PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2015 01:37PM by Collie4Nyah.
January 02, 2015 11:06PM
Here's a dozen artists (in no particular order) whose debut albums came out in the last 10 years that I rate haile:

Tarrus Riley
Spiritual
Pressure
Romain Virgo
Abja
Gomba Jahbari
Protoje
Messenjah Selah
Raging Fyah
I-Taweh
Fantan Mojah
Zion

I'm not sure how artists like Gentleman, Groundation, Slightly Stoopid and SOJA can even be considered here given that their debut albums came well before 2004.

Similarly, Tarrus Riley, Queen Ifrica, and Alborosie all had lots of songs released more than 10 years ago albeit not albums (unless you include Albo's work while a member of Reggae National Tickets).

Finally, I can't include artists like Chronixx or Kabaka Pyramid because, while they may show great promise, they have yet to release enough materials to be considered in my "Top 10 New Reggae Arists in the last 10 years"....
January 04, 2015 01:22AM
Pretty good list. I agree Gentleman doesn't qualify because he's been around much longer than 10 years. I think Chronixx & Romain Virgo should be higher, and Queen Ifrica (not a big fan) and Raging Fyah should be lower (I don't know any of his songs). I agree with Daniel that Pressure and Fanton Mojah (!!!) should be on the list, but the V.I. gets no love. Speaking of Pressure, can we please get him to SNWMF? smiling smiley

Also, how long has Busy Signal been around? If less than 10 years he should be on it.

Lastly, what about Gappy Ranks?!?
January 04, 2015 03:39AM
This is a hard call so im gonna have a think about this and get back to you all ;-)

PS, put Jesse Royal on the List :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 03:40AM by BUCKET-HEAD.
January 19, 2015 04:30PM
Daniel
Here's a dozen artists (in no particular order) whose debut albums came out in the last 10 years that I rate haile:

Tarrus Riley
Spiritual
Pressure
Romain Virgo
Abja
Gomba Jahbari
Protoje
Messenjah Selah
Raging Fyah
I-Taweh
Fantan Mojah
Zion

I'm not sure how artists like Gentleman, Groundation, Slightly Stoopid and SOJA can even be considered here given that their debut albums came well before 2004.

Similarly, Tarrus Riley, Queen Ifrica, and Alborosie all had lots of songs released more than 10 years ago albeit not albums (unless you include Albo's work while a member of Reggae National Tickets).

Finally, I can't include artists like Chronixx or Kabaka Pyramid because, while they may show great promise, they have yet to release enough materials to be considered in my "Top 10 New Reggae Arists in the last 10 years"....

I agree that it is strange that the newspaper publication rated bands "from the last 10 years", when bands were around before that...heck, Groundation came out with their first album in like 1999, so they've been around for at least 15 years!

As for an artist like Chronixx, I agree that he hasn't been around very long, but in the time he has, he's made a huge impact, especially playing on a mainstream television show like he did. That impact was the reasoning for my thinking he should perhaps be rated higher on the list...

And that list you made has some really great artists (still trying to find that artist Zion that you've recommended to me in the past - not even on ITunes either).

I would also mention that it's surprising Etana wasn't even mentioned on the original list from a Jamaican perspective, as she deserves to at least make honorable mention in my opinion...
January 19, 2015 04:33PM
Reggabe
Pretty good list. I agree Gentleman doesn't qualify because he's been around much longer than 10 years. I think Chronixx & Romain Virgo should be higher, and Queen Ifrica (not a big fan) and Raging Fyah should be lower (I don't know any of his songs). I agree with Daniel that Pressure and Fanton Mojah (!!!) should be on the list, but the V.I. gets no love. Speaking of Pressure, can we please get him to SNWMF? smiling smiley

Also, how long has Busy Signal been around? If less than 10 years he should be on it.

Lastly, what about Gappy Ranks?!?

You make some good arguments with the artists you mention, but it is tough to narrow it down in the first place, which is what makes for a good discussion...
January 19, 2015 04:38PM
BUCKET-HEAD
This is a hard call so im gonna have a think about this and get back to you all ;-)

PS, put Jesse Royal on the List :-)

Jesse Royal is another great artist of the last 10 years, but the argument could be made that he hasn't put out as much music as some of the other artists mentioned in the original article...

One guy that would fit that bill also, in my opinion, is Iba MaHr. The quality he's put out in a fairly short time is pretty impressive. His songs such as "Let Jah Lead the Way" (probably my favorite song of the last 2 years) and "Great Is H.I.M" are top notch roots tunes, sung in his distinctive style. I really hope he performs at SNWMF this year!
January 19, 2015 05:06PM
Zion......hails from La Plaine, Dominica......lives in St. Louis, MO

http://www.zionreggaemusic.com

https://www.facebook.com/zionalbert
January 19, 2015 05:16PM
think tank
Zion......hails from La Plaine, Dominica......lives in St. Louis, MO

http://www.zionreggaemusic.com

https://www.facebook.com/zionalbert

Thanks for the links! That's great news that you can purchase Zion albums at CD Baby, they are a great company here in Portland, Oregon, that supports independent artists. Thanks again! Now, time to purchase his music...
January 19, 2015 06:28PM
I would add Etana to that list as well Daniel
January 19, 2015 07:41PM
I would add Collie Buddz, Bobby Hustle, and Hollie Cooke to the list.
January 20, 2015 01:52AM
I am not really into Tarrus Riley, Alborosie or Gentlemen and really don't get why they are soo big.
January 20, 2015 02:00AM
I know that chances are im the minority here but I dont see what the big deal is with Chronixx.. I just dont get it...

Dj Yogi

Yogi's Picnic Basket
Heard live and direct
Monday's 12:00 PM - 2:00PM
88.9 FM KUCI
Irvine,CA
Streaming on www.kuci.org
Tunein radio Radioflag and I Tunes
rootsandriddims.kuci.org

Please show your support helping to end youth homelesness.
[reggaeforareason.org]
January 20, 2015 08:10AM
Hey, I just thought of another that should be added to the list: Gappy Ranks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login