Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Luciano vs. Protoje

Posted by strikkly 
Luciano vs. Protoje
February 01, 2015 11:06PM
Feb. 13 will host Luciano w/ Admiral Tibet at Ashkenaz and Protoje at New Parish on the same night.
Dread circumstance.
I have been pondering what to do for days.
For a minute I thought I would catch Tibet, Luciano on an early set and easily cruise down to Oakland to catch the full set of Protoje.
Upon further reflection this is pure fantasy on my part....
So the question becomes.....
Who rules???
I am extremely impressed with the new music in yard (ie. Protoje, Chronixx, Kabaka, etc.).
Extremely impressed.
After further reflection on the discography of Luciano....
I must say no one can hold a lighter to this elder....
Jah Messenjah music is MAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!
Righteousness.
Re: Luciano vs. Protoje
February 01, 2015 11:32PM
And Midnite is playing at 19 Broadway in Fairfax same night. A huge conflict all the way around, i'd like to see all three. I will see Midnite earlier in the week, and again at the Independent, so i might skip them that night for Protoje i think.

Love that reggae!
February 02, 2015 05:08AM
for Bay area reggae fans this is what we call a "good problem"
February 02, 2015 05:37AM
Same issue here. But Luciano always delivers and the fact I've never seen Admiral Tibet only confirms my attendance. I'll have plenty more chances to catch Protoje...

respect
February 02, 2015 08:02AM
I would defintely choose Luciano and Tibet. Both are fantastic artists and when he is at his best, Luci puts on a show like no other.
February 02, 2015 10:34PM
Ya, and he wil be hot at Ashkenaz. And it's ten minutes from my house. Hmm.....

Love that reggae!
February 02, 2015 11:08PM
Good reasoning...
my factors for consideration...
I love Ashkenaz and its within a mile of the house.
I have the utmost respect for Luciano and his amazing discography
I have much musical admiration for Admiral Tibet and have never seen him.
I will have plenty chance to see Protoje again, blaze the fire youth!!!
I will be at Ashkenaz and depending on what time the show wraps up I might cruise to the new parish.
Do artists hit the stage at new parish at 1am? I can't remember.
February 02, 2015 11:41PM
Wow, i had no idea Luciano was playing the same night! Thats a tuff decision, though I have seen Luciano perform in the double digits at this point, always a quality, uplifting performance!
Protoje is coming with his amazing band the Indiggnation, and about to drop a new album: Ancient Future
I have to say that Protoje's performance's are a crucial live music expereience, they will perform a song then move into the dub version of the song....soundz so sick!!
AND the New Parish is a great/irie venue for live performances...definitely a treat for the Bay Area!!
Alas, its a tuff choice...both dope shows!

Dj Green B (Cooyah! Ladeez Sound) Bay Area, CA
Check out DJGREENB.COM for upcoming events & over 20 mixtapes!
February 03, 2015 12:06AM
Well whichever you choose, it's bound to be good! Protoje got me with that 'Hail Rastafari' song at snwmf, Luciano though, that's many years of experience and power speakin to ya. And Midnite's my favorite.

Love that reggae!
February 03, 2015 12:41AM
Tibet is a famous 'no show' artist, but I would still choose Luciano w/ Admiral Tibet over Protoje anytime.

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

#rastacruzreggae #santacruzreggae #realitysound #reality_sound
February 04, 2015 06:07AM
Jah Messenjah for sure....
February 04, 2015 03:52PM
Luciano!
February 04, 2015 08:28PM
yes, for once we have a (good) dilemna here in the east bay!

if it were just Luciano vs. Protoje, I think the call would be for Protoje because I've seen Luci many a time and will be seeing him again. the wildcard here is Admiral Tibet, as he is a crucial artist that most around here have never seen live, and he may be the highlight of the 3! not to mention Ashkenaz is in my berkeley backyard.

forward to Ashkenaz!
February 04, 2015 11:05PM
Luciano and Tibet also performing at 19 Broadway Thursday night .... you could see both if you wanna make mission to Fairfax tomorrow night
February 04, 2015 11:30PM
Anybody who knows me will know exactly where I will be on my lucky day (Friday the 13th).....
February 05, 2015 10:11PM
So why not head out to Sacramento for Luciano's show on the 11th at Harlow's?
February 05, 2015 10:24PM
Love Luci, one of my favorite of his perfomances was in Angels Camp at SNWMF, he brought it hard that day. I can see Admiral Tibet at SNWMF this year. i will be at New Parrish to catch Protoje and the band launch the new album then dub it hard!
February 06, 2015 01:40AM
Solid argument.
February 07, 2015 03:41AM
Well Midnite has cancelled their east coast shows due to illness. they haven't cancelled shows out here yet, but if they do i'll go see Luciano in Sacramento and Protoje on Friday. Any word Daniel?

Love that reggae!
February 07, 2015 05:33AM
Midnite at the Independent..And Protoje with the wife for an early Valentines date night. If it were just me though, id probably go to Luci at Ashkenaz..
February 09, 2015 10:47PM
Since the Midnite tour is cancelled, it's Harlows for me on Wednesday and Protoje on friday!

Love that reggae!
February 12, 2015 03:37PM
The show at Harlow's last night was great. Tibet, Ikronik, IQulah and Luciano all on point. My first time at the venue, i loved it. Nice people, great sound. Don't miss Luciano's show. Now that i have Luciano under my belt i won't feel bad seeing Protoje on friday. It's a real toss up, Luci or Protoje.....

Love that reggae!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2015 02:49AM by nomotrouble.
February 13, 2015 02:41AM
Ironically I would love and not tire of seeing both artist every year at snwmf. I've never been disappointed of either live and they are on my short list of artist that I will never tire of. I would be so pleased if they were added to this years lineup.
February 13, 2015 03:33AM

Love that reggae!
February 14, 2015 10:45PM
Great show last night! Luciano was in fine form as usual, such a great and professional voice!

My only complaint is that, once again, Fenton & Co. started and ended playing way too late. I got there just before 11, and Ashkenaz was ram packed as I've rarely seen it before. Stevie Culture was onstage and the masses were ready for some top notch Jamaican reggae ambassadors. When he got off stage, I thought "Great, now Admiral Tibet will be on next." But no, it was Fenton, and he played till about 12:15, kinda killed the anticipation and momentum, and made for a rushed Admiral Tibet set, and shorter than usual Luciano set. So, while I admire Fenton's commitment and dedication to reggae and Rastafari, him and the promoters need to realize that he is strictly a warm-up act and needs to leave more time for the headliners.

Love that Reggae!
February 15, 2015 03:11AM
Opener took waaaaay too long. I came at 11:15 for Tibet. The opener came on so I took a smoke break. A long smoke break. By 12:15 I knew the real sets would be rushed. I never even went inside. Hopefully Protoje was a better call. I would say Ashkenaz and or the promoter let us down on that one.
February 15, 2015 03:15AM
One hour of some weak non jamaican music
Right smack in the middle off a boss lineup!!!!!
Talk about killing the vibes.
February 15, 2015 03:23AM
I was at the Bob Marley Bday show at the Mateel. Reggae Angels was quite a downer of a set that night as well. Honestly, I think Fenton preaches way too much on stage. What ever it is he feels he has to preach, its not what I need to hear to move me forward on my spiritual path, nor for anyone I have discussed the topic with... I appreciate what the guy does for booking reggae on the west coast... I don't know why he is on stage, and wish he would keep his ideas of reality to himself between songs.

Otherwise, the show was amazing. Seeing Kenyatta Hill with I Kronik playing old Culture tunes made my month! I hope more festivals start getting Kenyatta to come out more. He really carries the Culture family vibe with his new stuff. Its great to hear and see. Roots!
February 15, 2015 02:33PM
In Santa Cruz last night... another boom show from Protoje and the Indiggnation. All killer, no filler.
February 15, 2015 06:07PM
Actually Ididn't mind the preaching, it's usually tru and some people need to hear it. I just think his music isn't that good...
February 15, 2015 10:49PM
Protoje killed it at the new parish on Friday. Although he didn't get on stage till 11:30 or so, dj's warmed up the scene nicely. Great to see him in such a fun venue. cool vibes all around. Indiggnation is solid- that bass player just brings it.
that was a very positive show...would love to see him at SNWMF again....
February 16, 2015 03:42PM
AND... Protoje takes the victory...thanks to inept promoter, faulty booking and poor organization.
HOW do you mess up a lineup at an IRIE venue with TWO BOSS VETERAN performers?!!!!???!!!?
I don't know but someone MUCKED UP that Luci show with acumen.
February 16, 2015 05:27PM
At Harlow's there was some 'local' type band that started, i was outside for that.Then came Fenton backed by Ikronik, wierd seeing him backed by someone else. Then came Tibet, then IQulah, then Luciano. They all seemed to play normal length sets, show ended at 1.30 am, loved it! Unfortunately i was too wiped out for Protoje on friday, i was asleep long before he hit the stage.

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login