Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

31st Annual Reggae on the River

31st Annual Reggae on the River
May 14, 2015 07:05PM

On the weekend of July 30th-August 2nd, the non-profit Mateel Community Center presents the 31st anniversary of the longest running reggae festival in the U.S., the one-and-only Reggae On The River. Set on the banks of the majestic Eel River and delivering the best in reggae and world music to the hills of Humboldt County, CA, the 2015 edition of this iconic gathering will feature global luminaries like:

Stephen “Ragga” Marley, Cham, Alborosie & Shengen Clan feat. King Jammys, Tarrus Riley & Blak Soil, Protoje & The Indiggnation, Ce’Cile, Collie Buddz, Nahko and Medicine For The People, Ghetto Youths International featuring Jo Mersa, Christopher Ellis, Black-Am-I, & Wayne Marshall; Emmanuel Jal, The Congos, Flavia Coelho, Stick Figure, Zvuloon Dub System, Alerta Kamarada, Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba, Fortunate Youth, Mr. Williamz, Aaradhna, HIRIE, Empress Unification, and more!

The 31st annual Reggae On The River will also showcase more than 60 vending and non-profit booths, the ever-lively KidLandia, an opportunity to help with the Tools For Change humanitarian outreach program (and other worthy causes!), and- of course- the camping, community, and irie vibes which have made Reggae On The River famous.

3 and 4-day tickets are available at reggaeontheriver.com. Or better yet, go big with the new Ambassador Pass to enjoy unprecedented perks and access- the ultimate festival experience! And while you’re at it, make plans to really do things in style with an RV. RV registration is open now, but spaces are very limited so don’t delay on making these arrangements.

Visit the festival website for the full scoop and start planning your Reggae On The River pilgrimage today. It’s happening July 30th-August 2nd at French’s Camp, in Garberville, CA- heart of the Emerald Triangle- and your portal to a higher vibration!

Official Facebook Event: [www.facebook.com]
Tickets: [www.reggaeontheriver.com]
2015 Line-up via YouTube:

Venue Address: 657 Hwy 101, Garberville, California 95542
Phone: (707) 923-3368
Email: office@mateel.org
Re: 31st Annual Reggae on the River
May 14, 2015 07:54PM
Zvuloon Dub System had to cancel and they are being replaced with Exco Levi.
May 15, 2015 03:00PM
SNWMF is still the best lineup this summer!
May 15, 2015 03:08PM
Congos looks good.............................................................................................
May 15, 2015 03:15PM
Congos are really the only draw but it is not the full band so........................
May 15, 2015 06:55PM
ROTR is STILL the best lineup this summer!

Exco Levi addition = thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
May 15, 2015 08:34PM
I am guessing ROTR doesn't have there own phorum??
May 15, 2015 08:36PM
Have you gone to any of the other festival websites to talk about how you think their lineup isnt as good as rotr's .... Or asked gary coleman?. eye rolling smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 15, 2015 09:02PM
ROTR used to have their own forum, but not sure nowadays.
May 16, 2015 08:11PM
Sierras lineup is way better than ROTR because "recycle ROTR" is just using the same bands over and over. Their lineup isn't half as good as the last two years at French camp. Sierra keeps it refreshed!!! Big up SNWMF.
May 19, 2015 01:50AM
It looks like King Jammy and Alborosie will not be playing together, per the ROTR website. King Jammy is only playing on Thurdsay now.
May 19, 2015 02:58AM
King Jammy is touring w Alborosie, so my guess is you can expect him at both sets.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 19, 2015 03:09AM
King Jammy will be running the sound system. Its just like when Pato Banton has Mad Professor engineer his set. Jammy is dub that place up. Jammy is also Performing on Thursday so that will be a special treat too.
May 19, 2015 03:13AM
was "recycle ROTR" supposed to be some sort of undermine.. last i checked recycling was one of the most vital parts of living on planet earth. Maybe make a better reference, although I know where you are coming from..I disagree completely. Recycling some of the best talent in contemporary reggae would be a good thing, just like recycling your beer can. I know I have read on this phorum before "I personally would be upset if I did not see Anthony B every year for the rest of my life." That makes ur point mute.

I think this year follows as most. SNWMF takes the roots and REGGAE take contemporary. To me if your a contemporary dancehall fan you got to like Friday nights lineup at the river. if you like the old dancehall vibe its hard to argue against stone love saturday night at snwmf...that being said I would take saturday nights lineup at the river for sureeeeeee Marley runnning with the ghetto youths crew, stephen..then tarrus thats going to be a huuuge saturday night!
May 19, 2015 05:06AM
Imma just leave this Protoje quote right here

Represent for all the younger ones that’s coming up
And show them love
No competition, it’s not “I,” it’s “us”

hashtagallonearmy

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 19, 2015 06:22PM
Nice!!! King Jammy will be there all weekend. Thursday to Sunday. Big up.
May 19, 2015 08:10PM
King Jammy with Alborsie would be a royal treat! Never seen Alborosie live but he has some catchy tunes and what more needs to be said about King Jammy!? Whether you choose SNWMF or ROTR or get to attend both you are going to have an amazing time!
May 25, 2015 09:30PM
....ROTR lineup isn't done....it's still over 2 months away. They both r recycled lineups...What kind of reggae do u want 2 c over and over again. I loved Taurus Riley's sets everytime, .....but does he live here now? SNWMF does always have something new to see though. It's just a general statemen, "Recycled reggae" And there's no other reggae reference. Besides, it brings out recycling awareness. Like this debate is now getting recycled.
May 27, 2015 04:20AM
King Jammy's ...?
Nice !!! I was Unaware of that until now<~ Def Looking Forward to that thumbs upthumbs up

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
May 29, 2015 09:51PM
I don't think they will be adding any more artist. I know it's two months away but I have gotten 10 emails from them in the last two weeks telling me to get my tickets. I think that lineup is complete.
May 30, 2015 12:22AM
Not too sure what Random Guy is talking about. Yes the ROTR is final. But "recycled"..... Really? Stephen Marley and Cham (then know as Baby Cham) last played ROTR 2006. Nine years ago! The Congos last played 1999. Yes Taurrus 2 yr ago but most of the artists performing this year have NEVER played ROTR including Alborosie, Protoje, Ce'cile, Collie Buddz, Nakho, Ghetto Youth, Emmanuel Jal, Stick Figure, Exco Levi and on and on. There is a lot of great World music playing for the first time including as mentioned Emmanuel Jal, Lior Ben-Hur, Aaradhna (New Zealand), Alerta Kamarada (Columbia) and Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba (Mali). As a World Music DJ for over 25 yrs (KMUD) I'm really looking forward to all the great Latin music that SNWMF is having this year........... Love all the music.
May 30, 2015 12:26AM
Mamacali, thats a common reaction to a randomguy post. I'm sure we'll have a great time at ROTR.

Love that reggae!
May 30, 2015 12:45AM
I know when I am wrong and I will admit it now. I used the phrase "recycle reggae" and am recanting that statement. ROTR does not recycle their artist a lot. When I go to Sierra and ROTR in the same few months every single year, all the artist blur into one big (and long) festival. Most of the artist on the bill played at Sierra recently.

ROTR is not Sierra. Both are extreamly fulfilling every time I attend. I'm glad Sierra plays more eclectic types of music. I'm also super stoked "Reggae" is back at French's and they bring the really big Jamaican hitters.

Both festivals are champions in their own right and I absolutely love living in Northern California and am "blessed" to be able to attend both. Long live both festivals.

That is all. smiling smiley

-Westafari
June 03, 2015 02:13AM
the same reggae artists get shuffled between the fests.....they go from SNWMF to ROTR the next year and vice versa... Looking forward to Max Romeo and Big Youth.......and ghetto youth showcase and Alborosie....Nahko was just on the stage at Cali Roots so much.......Details metales....They both will be great....But ROTR lineup is final, that's a surprise....There's always a cancelation....Common randomguy2u reaction/....?!!?....comment on this post (u can't see what I'm pointing at)
June 03, 2015 04:13AM
randomguy2u
the same reggae artists get shuffled between the fests.....they go from SNWMF to ROTR the next year and vice versa... Looking forward to Max Romeo and Big Youth.......and ghetto youth showcase and Alborosie....Nahko was just on the stage at Cali Roots so much.......Details metales....They both will be great....But ROTR lineup is final, that's a surprise....There's always a cancelation....Common randomguy2u reaction/....?!!?....comment on this post (u can't see what I'm pointing at)

+1
Randomguy back on point.

Collie Buddz nor Alborosie has played raggae? Ghetto youths comes in different reincarnation's but look out this tour is gonna rock the river!
June 03, 2015 03:20PM
SCRoots
Collie Buddz nor Alborosie has played raggae?

Collie Buddz played Reggae Rising in 2007........

June 03, 2015 03:25PM
Congos are really the only draw but it is not the full band so........................

Not the full band or not the singers....I dont even know who's with the Congos now.. Congo Roy, Cedric Myton, Watty Burnett?? who?

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 03, 2015 03:47PM
think tank
SCRoots

I thought so. Memories not totally shot. What about Alborosie ?
June 03, 2015 04:05PM
SCRoots
think tank
SCRoots

I thought so. Memories not totally shot. What about Alborosie ?

I don't think Alborosie has played Reggae.

I only remember him playing at SNWMF in 2010.
June 03, 2015 04:26PM
I feel like the ROTR website had all the shows and posters listed since it's inception, and that has been taken down.
Alborosie played the Bob days show a couple years, that could be what I'm thinking of.
June 03, 2015 05:45PM
Reggae Rising was NOT Reggae on the River!!!
June 03, 2015 06:14PM
SCRoots
I feel like the ROTR website had all the shows and posters listed since it's inception, and that has been taken down.

You can find all past ROTR posters here if you are on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.185043441540901.47025.183255578386354&type=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2015 06:16PM by DJ Treez.
June 03, 2015 09:20PM
Reggae Rising and Reggae on the River always seemed to be the same thing to me MamaCali, please let me know what the differences were.

Thank you!
June 03, 2015 09:33PM

Reggae Rising and Reggae on the River always seemed to be the same thing to me MamaCali, please let me know what the differences were.

Lawd have mercy.

I'm hoping to save Agnes some grief and keep this phorum on a positive note (for the next 2 weeks and 4 days).

Here is the best summary I can find on that topic online....
June 03, 2015 09:54PM
My post was not meant to create grief, honestly did not know the difference, I remember people production and actually volunteered back in the day with Walt Waters and Saundra Torres. Thank you for clarifying Daniel. I never made it to Reggae Rising, I was under the impression something had happened to ROTR and they had to change names. As a fan of reggae music I am not into the political side of things. I love going to festivals for the music. SNWMF is always my fav as the lineup has acts from all over and brings a lot of VI artists. (another reason I loved NWWRF was they brought the VI artists) Sorry if my post is seen as causing grief. Last year was the first time I enjoyed ROTR and it was because I had back stage passes and could get away from the crowds, another reason I have avoided Cali roots even though I hear good things. SNWMF is the perfect size festival and I spend most of my time at the small stage.
June 04, 2015 03:21PM
Rossta - there was a pretty harsh war of words all that went down and ugly things were said. Some feelings are still raw. Letting sleeping dogs lie seems to be good advice. I think that's where Daniel's entreaty to the Lawd comes from.

It's all out there on the web.
June 04, 2015 05:05PM
mamacali

I hear that but wasn't the same person booking the artists for both shows?
Despite the internal warfare and money grabbing no 2 festivals could be more closely compared and to the average joe not living in that area the idea was to keep the status quo ; reggae on the Eel last weekend in August. The hard feelings are probably over what made it get to the point it reached anyhow, Ego and $$$. Only reggae music could come up with dumb mandates such as " you must interview the promoter live on air if you want to be able to give away tickets to OUR festival" listening to to those 2 make the rounds on the reggae radio, " the grass is growing greener, come on up".
It's cool that it's back at the bowl and there is still a reggae festival in Humboldt Co.
No such luck here, we have blues Fest, beer fest, woodies fest, Polynesian fest, god fest mountain man fest, hippie fest, multi cultural fest, surf fest, disc fest, earth fest, mime troupe, mountain bike fest, even Wiliam AND NOT Sly and Robbie Shakespeare have a festival , but no Reggae Festival.
June 04, 2015 05:46PM
Well, there WAS a promising festival near Santa Cruz several years ago: http://www.reggaeintheredwoods.org/
...that drew close to 1000 without any "big name" reggae artists or much promotion...but internecine disputes kept it from continuing in subsequent years. Too bad...we're "in-fested" with a lot of festivals in this town, but in a socalled reggae stronghold like Santa Cruz, you'd think there would be a yearly reggae festival here...
SCRoots
mamacali

I hear that but wasn't the same person booking the artists for both shows?
Despite the internal warfare and money grabbing no 2 festivals could be more closely compared and to the average joe not living in that area the idea was to keep the status quo ; reggae on the Eel last weekend in August. The hard feelings are probably over what made it get to the point it reached anyhow, Ego and $$$. Only reggae music could come up with dumb mandates such as " you must interview the promoter live on air if you want to be able to give away tickets to OUR festival" listening to to those 2 make the rounds on the reggae radio, " the grass is growing greener, come on up".
It's cool that it's back at the bowl and there is still a reggae festival in Humboldt Co.
No such luck here, we have blues Fest, beer fest, woodies fest, Polynesian fest, god fest mountain man fest, hippie fest, multi cultural fest, surf fest, disc fest, earth fest, mime troupe, mountain bike fest, even Wiliam AND NOT Sly and Robbie Shakespeare have a festival , but no Reggae Festival.
June 04, 2015 05:46PM
No grief....... I'm still coming down from the Mateel's 39th Summer and Arts and Music fest this past weekend. A great community event and I can't wait for SNWMF! Karma took care of all the ugliness. We have all moved on. The Mateel rose up from the ashes. With perseverance we were able to continues with our community events and grow. We are a non profit organization.We feed the hungry free lunch 3 times a week. We have youth theater and arts programs that are supported by ROTR. We were able to provide new computers for a small local school district. We bring in cultural events that don't make profit but bring great joy,ie: Peking Chinese Acrobats.....they bus all the kids from the surrounding area to see them....I could go and on........This is what we do with the profits of SAMF and ROTR. We give back to the community.
And Rossta you will never see those hugh crowds again at ROTR. We have permits from the county and state agencies and they rules which we must abide. Last year we had less than 5,000 in attendance.......It was really nice out there in the audience but glad you made it back stage. Love to all........
June 04, 2015 08:04PM
I kept hearing there was 10-12 thousand people at ROTR last year but the few times I ventured out of back stage I didn't think there was that many people. 5K makes a lot of sense. I got there wednedsay and left Monday morning and was one of the best weekends of my life honestly. Jimmy Cliff and Alpha Blondy were amazing last year. Line up well nice this year too, sadly I don't think I can make any festivals this summer. Good news though, Steel Pulse and Ziggy Marley both coming to Bend this summer! We don't get much reggae so this is a huge treat for me!
June 04, 2015 10:02PM
You can check out ROTR with the live feed........... I checked out Cali Roots with the live feed........ I'm with you, Cali Roots looked way crowded..........
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login