Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

David Hinds of Steel Pulse

Posted by westafari 
David Hinds of Steel Pulse
June 23, 2015 07:58PM
Quick question, is David ever going to sing again. He is the heart and soul singer (with Sidney) of Steel Pulse. Are his days of singing over?
Re: David Hinds of Steel Pulse
June 23, 2015 08:25PM
He didn't sing at their SNWMF performance??
June 23, 2015 09:34PM
I heard him sing a couple of tunes after I left because he wasn't singing.
June 23, 2015 11:32PM
Steel Pulse played in Bend, OR the night before SNWMF and David seemed like he could care less to be there. The bass player said that it was doctors orders he was sick and not supposed to sing. But to have someone on stage who was obviously practicing with the band and tried to sound like David seemed like a slap in the face. David did not pick up the mic once and stood in the back ground strumming his guitar and seemed like he could care less to be there. So disappointed, I felt he was either saving his voice for SNWMF or his voice is worn out and he is not singing anymore. Either way was not the Steel Pulse I love and will not be looking forward to them ever again.
June 23, 2015 11:54PM
He has laryngitis is what I heard, and he did do some singing
June 24, 2015 12:21AM
Glad I opted for Mungo Hi-Fi and Yellowman in the dancehall. grinning smiley
June 24, 2015 12:32AM
the other day when i looked his pictures a feeling came over me that said

'i hope i never have to sing these songs again!!!'

and this thought came to me without even knowing the current runnings..
June 24, 2015 01:09AM
June 24, 2015 02:55AM
He was there at the HIGH TIMES CANNABIS CUP on saturday night with STEEL PULSE headlining the Cow Palace.
It was a great show no doubt.
They did send out prayers for his health and recovery so....ALL the best for David Hinds.
June 24, 2015 03:47AM
I was a bit disappointed but also concerned for him. Not the same steel pulse that I am used to seeing. Did I hear them calling the replacement singer 'baby Hines'? Is that his son? He did sound somewhat similar. The band was tight and sounded great but had I known I would have stayed in the village for Yellow Man..... He was rockin it and i hated to cut out. Best wishes for David.
June 24, 2015 05:38AM
I was front and center for Sierra. David didn't sing a single lyric the entire set (not one). I also heard he didn't sing at all for Cali Roots the weekend before. The set at SNWMF was odd and a little boring. I have never heard the first three songs and I own every album. I have loved Steel Pulse my whole life but don't know if I can go along with the new style/direction. David's voice is everything. It is really sad if he leaves the band or doesnt sing again. sad smiley
June 24, 2015 06:46AM
I watched the cali roots set online and he sang the whole set
June 24, 2015 01:26PM
westafari
I was front and center for Sierra. David didn't sing a single lyric the entire set (not one). I also heard he didn't sing at all for Cali Roots the weekend before. The set at SNWMF was odd and a little boring. I have never heard the first three songs and I own every album. I have loved Steel Pulse my whole life but don't know if I can go along with the new style/direction. David's voice is everything. It is really sad if he leaves the band or doesnt sing again. sad smiley

yep.. same way journey is just not journey without steve perry.
June 24, 2015 03:04PM

I have never heard the first three songs and I own every album.

They started the set off by playing essentially the entire Handsworth Revolution album. Prodigal Son, Sound Check and Bad Man were the first 3 tunes they played. The only song they sang that isn't on any album is "Nyah Love" which was their first recorded tune:

At one point, they introduced the lead singer as David Serious after mentioning that David Hinds is under 'doctor's orders' not to perform and sing. Strep throat is what I heard, but not from anyone 'officially'.
June 25, 2015 04:55AM
I'm glad to hear he sang at Cali Roots. That is good news. Looking up videos now.
June 25, 2015 06:23PM
David sang all songs in Seattle on Tues before, then in Portland lost voice and didn't sing. Didn't sing a song at Sierra. The other guy they found on the east coast some time ago inna Steel Pulse cover band, lol. David will be back don't worry.
June 25, 2015 09:58PM
Interesting. I heard multiple reports that he sang a couple songs at SNWMF. Slight bummer either way. I was working so it didn't matter too too much. smiling smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
June 25, 2015 10:44PM
David Hinds will always be the voice of Steel Pulse and has no intentions of leaving the band. Unfortunately, he caught an extremely bad cold that left his throat swollen and unable to speak. He was very upset about the whole situation and sends his sincerest apologies. The band had to pull together at the last minute and make the choice to carry on despite the absent voice of David Dread. Original member "Selwyn Brown" and newest member musician/producer Serious David carried the voice for the west coast tour. Dread is already feeling like himself again and so the Nyahbinghi voyage continues...
June 26, 2015 12:54AM
^ Glad to hear he is feeling better, would rather them play on than not play at all. Thanks for being in session.
June 26, 2015 03:20PM
Glad to hear David is feeling better, the last two Steel Pulse shows for me personally have been so disappointing. Few years ago David didn't make it to Portland because of flight issues and the band still played, then with this happening in Bend I was a bit bitter. Glad to hear he is feeling better and maybe 3rd time will be the charm for me one day to hear this epic band. Really Steel Pulse is one of my all time favs and everyone always says they sound so good live but sadly I have not experienced this yet.
AJ
July 01, 2015 02:04PM
Well...since Mr. Hinds was having trouble singing, it would have been nice for S.P. to do some extended dub versions of a few tunes.
Maybe they did, I wasn't there.
Get well soon Mr. Hinds.
July 01, 2015 06:48PM
So I saw one extremely strange thing at the Cow Palace show. They had a big movie screen behind the stage where they were screening interviews, movies, etc.
During their rendition of Ku Klux Klan they were playing visual effects on the screen. They started showing pictures of Dr. King, Malcolm x, and many other iconic freedom fighters.
They would then have the face get larger and larger until it would splatter into blood. I guess to signify assassination, that all of these great people had been murdered.
Well after they showed King and Malcom and Fred Hampton, and many others they showed Bin Laden and Sadam Hussein and showed them splattering into blood the same as the rest. The insinuation was that they were assassinated too. Okay. But to equate them with the rest or even to put them there....THAT @#$%& WAS WEIRD!!!! I hope the band had nothing to do with that and it was an oversight. One of the weirdest things I've seen at a show.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login