Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite --> Akae Beka?

Posted by Ras Rubio 
Midnite --> Akae Beka?
June 25, 2015 11:07PM
It seems Vaughn Benjamin will be touring again, not as Midnite, but as Akae Beka (or the Akae Beka Project). Does anyone know if this is just a new name for Midnite or a different band/direction?
Re: Midnite --> Akae Beka?
June 25, 2015 11:20PM
From their Facebook page:

Band Members:
Vaughn Benjamin,
Ras L,
Edmund Fieulleteau,
Sly Molina,
Kenny Byron
June 25, 2015 11:32PM
This is the advertisement for the Colorado Nelson Mandela show:

*** Rockers Movement has partnered with Inity Weekly to “increase the peace” at this year’s Nelson Mandela Day celebration. The event will feature Virgin Islands reggae band, The Akae Beka, with Vaughn Benjamin of Midnite. They will be supported by The Reminders, the dynamic Colorado-based conscious hip-hop act, and DJ Milky Dubz.

It will be The Akae Beka’s first show since what Vaughn Benjamin described as a “life changing last few months” after postponing a tour earlier this year with Midnite. He says that life changes, convictions, and revelations compelled their new name The Akae Beka, and believes that Denver’s Mandela Day celebration is the perfect platform to debut the new moniker. The night will also feature a poetry segment, as well as a live art painting demonstration.

They are also booked to appear in North Carolina and providence, RI. Check the Facebook page akae beka, which is apparently the oath taken in the New Testament which make all demons tremble and defends man.

From what it says above I would think this is the band just with a new name? Definitely interesting, I'm intrigued to know what happened over these past months.
June 25, 2015 11:38PM
Ron Benjamin is a glaring omission from the list of members.
June 25, 2015 11:52PM
Ron Benjamin is now handling management for Dezarie.
June 26, 2015 12:00AM
Thanks for the info, everyone. This is indeed intriguing and I hope they can schedule some SoCal shows soon.
June 26, 2015 12:10AM
Man i'm glad i recorded all those midnite shows now.

Love that reggae!
June 26, 2015 12:53AM
June 26, 2015 01:53AM
nomotrouble
Man i'm glad i recorded all those midnite shows now.

Yes you said it brother!

Rossta any insight here? Is any Akae Beka music out? Thats cool about the new direction but WHAT ABOUT MIDNITE as we know it?
June 26, 2015 02:03AM
Nomo thank you for recording all those videos.

This has been the longest I've gone without seeing them since I saw them a decade ago, I was starting to get the shakes. Jokes aside, always glad that this board keeps me up to date as I hadn't heard of the new project.
VBB
June 26, 2015 08:52AM
Good Works Nomo! love the vids! Give Thanks
I still have a few shows to post myself - soon come!
RASTAFARI
-Bill aka vidbybill
June 26, 2015 11:36AM
Good to see you here bill! I have several whole shows from the past that i will be posting soon.....

Love that reggae!
June 26, 2015 02:41PM
Curious when this would come up on the phorum. Honestly I do not know much more than what is being posted by Daniel and others. Seems that Akea Beka project is moving forward with the Midnite band but I have not seen Ron listed as of yet. I did notice as Aaron G mentioned that Preston is no longer running management for Dezarie but Ron is. I have not posted anything yet as it was VBB that brought this up to me on Facebook and I have been researching a lot but not finding much news on Akea Beka yet. Only time will tell what is really going on. The good way to look at it is maybe we will get to see Dezarie more now if Ron is backing her. Grateful to all the tapers that I have gotten to know over the years and my two favs are Nomo and Vidbybill, thank you very much! Looking forward to your release Vidbybill of that epic 5 hour set at NWWRF last summer. I have a feeling we will see Midnite again but for now lets support Akea Beka and Ron and Dez!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 02:57PM by Rossta.
June 27, 2015 03:06PM
Thank you all for the valuable insight.

An interview explaining some...

June 27, 2015 03:40PM
Thank you for sharing Kambo! Enjoyed that immensely. Look forward to Akea Beka project performing live!
June 27, 2015 04:14PM
June 27, 2015 06:26PM
Great to see Vaughan again! Beard is looking a bit more grey, wonder if these have truly been some trying times for the brethren? Anyone know what the connection is between Vaughan and Rockers production that led that interview and is putting on the Nelson Mendala event? That's pretty special to host a show with Vaughan and akae beka after such a long break.

Looking forward to reconnecting with this king man. I wonder if they'll be performing all of Midnite's music or if this will be new material?
June 27, 2015 06:51PM
I've been in an eddy of the river of time with the midnite band for the last six years while nothing seemed to change with them, saw them maybe 20 times in that period. Loved each show, and they were all a bit different. Now it seems as if we have been pulled out of the eddy, and things are changing. Vaughn does look a bit aged, as can happen when one has a health issue. It can also make one look at life a bit differently, perhaps he finds he has other things to say than he did before. I'm very curious about the new endeavor, but i'm not sure it's going to be much like Midnite. Time will tell. To me the interview didn't reveal much.

Love that reggae!
June 27, 2015 08:45PM
Ashanti Selassie wrote:
YO IM FLOATING RIGHT NOW!!! I JUST HEARD THE FINAL MIX OF MY BIG BROTHER Vaughan Benjamin FIRE TUNE "BRACE YOUR HEART" ON THE MANGANGA RIDDIM PRODUCED BY The Chalice Brothers ARRANGED AND PERFORMED BY Ashanti Selassie!!! IT TOOK SOME TIME TO GET GOING BUT WITH MY BIG BROTHER Agent Blak ON THE MIXING AND MASTERING WE READY TO MOVE FORWARD!!! YO WHEN THIS TUNE BUSS TRUST ME YOU GONNA LOVE IT ITS LAVA X LAVA!!!
LOOK OUT FOR THE RELEASE DATE!!! MORE LIFE AND STRENGTH!!!
June 27, 2015 11:30PM
June 29, 2015 03:35PM
I agree Nomo, the interview did not really give much insight. But that mystic adds to Akea Beka and I cannot wait to catch a live set!
July 09, 2015 10:55PM
Ras Elijah Tafari wrote:

Very Excited and Honored to be painting LIVE July 17th in Denver for Nelson Mandela Day, please come out and check out a historic moment in unity in a Grass-roots experience with Akae Beka (Midnite) and the Dynamic Couple, The Reminders. The Doors open at 7 ! R.

July 13, 2015 03:24PM
Anyone from Oregon headed to this? If so I want to carpool
July 19, 2015 01:01AM
I know a taper in colorado who went to this Akae Beka show in Denver. He said is was very good, mostly Midnite songs, possibly a new band member or two.

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2015 01:15AM
Nomo, we would love a video clip of Vaughan if you can get your hands on a piece smiling smiley
July 19, 2015 01:37AM
it will be audio of the whole show i imagine, pm me.

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2015 02:59AM

Rockers Movement wrote:
Give Thanks to Brother Vaughn of #AkaeBeka and all the other brothers in the band for an epic performance last night in #Denver for #NelsonMandelaDay. Truly a blessing to witness the word, sound, power. We understand that different people go through similar things same time. May we continue this journey towards truth and love.
July 19, 2015 04:53AM

click on the photo to see the whole thing

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2015 04:55AM
Looks like ron on keys and ras l on bass?

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2015 04:58AM
01. Introduction
02. Roll Call
03. White Collar Criminal
04. True King Spirit
05. Rasta Man Stand
06. Meditation (Babylon Fruits)
07. Foolish & The Wise
08. Late Night Ghetto
09. The Eyes Are The Light
10. Mongst I & I

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2015 05:31AM
Not ron on keys, he was not in the band.

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2015 01:04PM
That looks like a high grade setlist! Would have loved to be there.. Late Night Ghetto!
July 19, 2015 09:03PM
First let me say, I don't personally care one way or the other what they call themselves...

But, this all reminds me of when Prince changed his name to that symbol, no one could pronounce it so everyone just called him "the artist formerly known as prince" and then after a while he just changed his name back..... If when you put Akae Beka, you have to clarify it's (Midnite) so anyone will know who they are, then its basically pointless to change your name in the first place.... Unless you are not going to do any of your old tunes from the old group.... which isnt the case here.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 19, 2015 10:20PM
True, except that Ron Benjamin is as much Midnite as Vaughn. Without Ron, it seems proper to go by a different name. It would be like if Prince split himself in two, one of him was the good lyricist, and one of him made the dope instrumentals, and then they decided to part ways.. smiling smiley
July 20, 2015 12:00AM
Higrade, i had a friend who changed his name from steve to neil, i felt the same way. WTF. In this case the name change may be more about changes in Vaughn's thinking due to whatever illness than Ron not being in the band, but both are considerable changes. Vaughn's beard was not white beforehand.

Love that reggae!
July 20, 2015 06:59AM
I think Midnite will be back one day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 12:31PM by AztecRasta.
July 20, 2015 03:12PM
Audio from Akae Beka's set on 7/17/15.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 03:13PM by Mikey J..
July 20, 2015 08:02PM
They sounded great ! Thanks Mikey J for sharing the youtube video!

Ras L from Keyboards to bass! Wonder who the new keyboard player is!?
July 20, 2015 10:27PM
Thanks for posting the audio!

It sounds great. First impression after listening all the way through: Noticably weaker on the bass, and I miss Ron's backup vocals in crucial spots. Nonetheless, glad Vaughn and the rest of the band are Ridin Tru. Can't wait to catch some Akae Beka shows!

It would have been amazing if they brought back the original bassist, from the first 10 albums or so when Ron was on keys. Not sure that Bassy's name, but the man was thunder and lightning!
July 20, 2015 11:18PM
rootsthroughsidewalks
It would have been amazing if they brought back the original bassist, from the first 10 albums or so when Ron was on keys. Not sure that Bassy's name, but the man was thunder and lightning!

I believe you are referring to Philip Merchant, who was on bass when I first discovered Midnite in 2003. i met him in San Francisco at Reggae in The Park in 2004 and my wife and I had him and the rest of the band over for dinner in 2005 or 2006. Phil was also the one that was shot several times a couple years back and thankfully lived through it. I agree that it would have been great to hear him on bass again.

I remember seeing old Youtube video of Midnite live in Washington DC from 1999 and it was a bassie other than Phil. I enjoyed those recordings as there were early versions of a few of my favorite tunes.
July 21, 2015 12:11AM
Joseph Straws is the bassie on "Unpolished" and "Ras Mek Peace."
July 21, 2015 05:36AM
I posted audio of the entire set:

Akae Beka Mandela Day Audio

Of course big up cheesecadet at RT for capturing this show. Respect due nomotrouble for capturing a catalog of pristeen Midnite audio and video over the years. His work is beyond crucial IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 05:37AM by ras2thebone.
July 21, 2015 02:52PM
Big up Ras2thebone! thank you for posting! How was the vibes live? Same feel and energy even though Ron is no longer with the band for the time being?
July 21, 2015 03:54PM
aaron_g

Was he the one that was on that old live video from what I thought was Washington DC ~1999 or 2000? If I remember correctly, the bassie played an upright in that video too!
July 21, 2015 05:50PM
Rossta
Big up Ras2thebone! thank you for posting! How was the vibes live? Same feel and energy even though Ron is no longer with the band for the time being?

I wasn't there but a friend of mine helped organize the event. She said it was basically just a Midnite show minus Ron and with Vaughn in a BoBo wrap.

From what I heard there was some tension between the brothers and Ron decided to split. Don't know how true that is but makes sense.
July 21, 2015 06:11PM
Mikey J.
aaron_g

Was he the one that was on that old live video from what I thought was Washington DC ~1999 or 2000? If I remember correctly, the bassie played an upright in that video too!

Yeah, that's Joe.
July 21, 2015 06:24PM
ras2thebone
Rossta

I wasn't there but a friend of mine helped organize the event. She said it was basically just a Midnite show minus Ron and with Vaughn in a BoBo wrap.

From what I heard there was some tension between the brothers and Ron decided to split. Don't know how true that is but makes sense.

Yeah that is what I had heard too about Ron and Vaughn which is so sad. I would always stand near the front in between Ron and Vaughn as Ron also brought so much energy to the shows. He will be missed but the MUSIC and positive message goes on! Cannot wait to see Akae Beka and I do believe that we will see Midnite again. One positive note is that maybe Ron will now tour with Dezarie and we can see her a lot more. If there is any artist out there I enjoy as much as Vaughn it is Dezarie!

LOVE THAT VI ROOTS!
July 21, 2015 09:46PM
I would argue that much of the reason that you would enjoy Dezarie as much as Vaughn is that guy playing the bass.....can't overestimate the contribution of Ron to the band.

Love that reggae!
July 21, 2015 09:59PM
I agree 100% NOMO! To me Ron is a huuuuuge loss to Midnite but I am happy that all are healthy as there for a while I wondered if we would see either of the brothers again.
July 21, 2015 10:05PM
Ron is the reason I went to Midnite shows. He was especially irie when on keyboards.
July 21, 2015 10:47PM
"He was especially irie when on keyboards."

Love that reggae!
July 21, 2015 11:36PM
Your videos are so amazing NOMO! So grateful for you and all the Midnite tapers
July 22, 2015 12:03AM
This is all good news. Life without Midnite (or Akea Beka) would be poorer. Glad that the health issues will not stop the positive music!

I typically stood in front of Ron at the shows - will miss his energy and smile. His bass lines are always so spot on and intuitive.

love midnite, glad Vaughn will carry on! cant wait to see them!
July 22, 2015 04:06PM
Here's the video recording.

July 22, 2015 05:02PM
This is all so overly emotional, cant wait for this episode to pass Im still a big supportive fan but the mystery and cheesy buzz is not like the Midnite Im used to, I showed up to a midnite show in Santa Cruz and it was canceled and now all this drama is a turn off.

Akae Beka lets get rocking, new name, new songs too!

"Its name is Beka. He spoke to holy Michael to discover to them the sacred name, that they might understand that secret name, and thus remember the oath and that those who pointed out every secret thing to the children of men might tremble at that name and oath. This is the power of that oath, for powerful it is and strong. And he established this oath of Akae by the instrumentality of the holy Michael. These are the secrets of this oath, and by it were they confirmed. Heaven was suspended by it before the world was made, for ever."
July 22, 2015 05:46PM

Love that reggae!
July 22, 2015 07:29PM
NOMO you are a boss! Cannot wait to get off work and watch and listen.
July 22, 2015 08:11PM
Forgive me for being the nay-sayer or "debbie downer" of this thread, but I listened to the whole Akae Beka set from Denver (I have not watched the video that goes with the audio) and to my ears, it felt and sounded different than Midnite per se...the sound on some of the songs just was not as powerful as I remember Midnite being with Ron on the bass. Don't get me wrong, it did sound good...and maybe the new line-up is still "gelling" and finding their sound. I look forward to hearing more of their stuff. Wonder if they will do brand new material?

Midnite fan since 2004!!
July 22, 2015 08:26PM
I would imagine that Vaughn will still work with Igrade and others to make a Midnite (Akae Beka) album but I am curious to see if an African Roots Lab release will come out any time soon. Listened to half the set on my lunch break and it was a different sound and vibe without Ron but that was to be expected IMHO. Anything new needs time to gel and find their sound. I think that Akae Beka will be on par with Midnite soon as far as being the greatest reggae band of the modern generation.
July 22, 2015 09:20PM
Wow, all this time I thought it was health issues that caused the band to cancel their 2015 tour. But it was tension between brothers Ron % Vaughn? That's pretty sad IMHO, it was supposed to be their 25th anniversary tour! I wonder what caused the rift, maybe a woman involved? (I've seen many tight friendships broken up over that type of thing.) Anyway, hopefully time will heal all wounds, and as Rossta said maybe we'll see more of Dezarie around here and a Midnite-IGrade tour as well!
July 22, 2015 10:49PM
I dunno. I love my brothers, but probably couldn't work with them constantly for 25 years. Seems like Midnite was pretty played out and needed a shakeup. Looking forward to Ron Benjamin's continued contributions to the music.
July 23, 2015 02:42PM
Reggaebe, I still believe that Vaughn had a health issue from my understanding and that was the reason due to them cancelling their 25th anniversary tour.
July 23, 2015 05:09PM
nomotrouble

Boys the Akae Beka train has left the station and is pushing forward!

Beautiful impressive blessed performance, keys and bass could have hit a little harder but every player was getting to work!

I like the effect heavy performance with the soothing chants of Vaughn, what better way to celebrate Hailie Selasie's birthday than by pounding Akae Beka!

Nomo did you help master this audio? Great work!
July 23, 2015 05:43PM
Yes massive, give thanks for the posting of both audio and video, nice for us all to check the vibes of akae beka. I've listened and watched much of the recording, which caused me to do some reflection. It's really nice to see the band in action again. Wild, when you've been seeing a band since 2001 or so, you almost take their presence for granted. Same way with some of the greats we have all seen many times: culture, sugar minott, toots, burning spear, Gregory Isaacs...but when they pass or stop touring we all of a sudden realize how crucial their presence is and how dear it is to see them each and every time.

In their absence I really missed midnight, and began to wonder whether we would have the blessing of seeing them perform again live. I am a lover of reggae music, listening to a large variety from roots to dancehall, but find myself always going back to Midnite as one of my favorite bands. The message is so strong, the lyrics on a higher level than most reggae bands, and a deep sense of spirituality and connection that resonates with me. When you watch this most recent performance you can see the gaze of Vaughan as he looks into the crowd; this is no ordinary look, this is a serious gaze trying to connect with those that come to hear him speak.

With all that said and watching the recent performance I did notice a bit of a change from the Midnite that I know, and saw most recently at yre Independent last winter/spring. The overall sound, in my personal opinion, was a little bit weaker, slower than in the past. I agree that Ras L, while a great musician, just doesn't have the same presence that Ron did on bass. The crescendos and big moments that Vaughn tried to bring didn't quite hit the mark that they used to. I'm sure overtime this will get developed further and further and the sound of Midnite or akae beka will surely evolve.

While many of us ideolize and hold Vaughan, Ron, and the members of Midnite up high, they are human like us, have lives, and suffer as any other. As Vaughan sings in Roll Call, "almost every wrong about which rasta speak, from experience I talk because all flesh is weak." In this latest form, after some trials and tribulation, Vaughan and the band return to the masses to share their message once more. I give thanks for the presence and look forward to seeing them live as they bring so much to the world of reggae music and humanity.

Satta massagana
July 23, 2015 06:38PM
@ teachdem--

That was a beautiful statement! I could not have worded the sentiments any better, and agree 100%.

I was thinking the same thing about taking things for granted. I am now regretting all those times I passed on seeing Midnite, reasoning that I had seen them before, and that they would be coming back around soon, because that's waht they "always" did, and I could catch them the next time. Well, "next time" is never a sure thing. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. Lesson learned: Always live in the moment!

Bless to all!
July 23, 2015 09:41PM
Great post teachdem! I agree with you 100% about the Akae Beka set. I watched it last night and felt the band was lacking due to a lack of Ron's presence but I also saw Vaughn trying to connect with the crowd more than ever before and felt the clarity of his words was as good as I have ever heard. This makeup of the band will take time to gel, the more shows they perform together the better they will become. Ras L and Suren Fenton (new keyboard player) will start to play with more confidence as they grow in their new roles.
July 24, 2015 12:43AM
I don't know, Vaughn looks pretty content in that video performing without Ron. He's smiling a lot.

I think Midnite is just one of those things that shines bright for a while, in this case 25 years, and then disappears forever. Even if they decide to go back out as Midnite it will be a whole different vibe. IMHO Midnite is by far the most significant, influential, and prolific reggae act since Steel Pulse and it is not even close. I cannot think of another band who has the ability to put out two LPs every year, each of them strong and some of them modern classics. Their first 3 albums are unparalleled by anything released post-1985. They are that good and we are all blessed to have witnessed one of the truly exceptional reggae acts ever to emerge.

Losing Ron Benjamin is no small thing. Notice there isn't a lot of new material in the Akae Beka set. Ron is a genius musically and I don't use that term lightly. He plays every instrument and he writes and constructs riddims like nobody else. He deserves mentionalong with greats like Sly Dunbar, Clive Hunt, Flabba Holt, and other musician/producer-types of the post-Marley era. This is not just my opinion but that of those who have worked and played with him. His loss will be felt immensely. I'm not even sure it is possible for this new grouping to go on making meaningful and impactful music without him. Everybody is looking to interview Vaughn about the split but Ron is the true get here. Just look at his work on the Jubilees of Zion LP. He was unrestrained to do what he wanted on that album, the first recorded at ARL. It is brilliant.
July 24, 2015 02:51AM
Well said Ras2thebone

Ron would constantly give direction to not just the band but the sound people with no regret, his smile is blissful realizing what he created however his energy when a mic or instrument isn't right is intense. This is probably what I will miss the most, you could tell by how he got down that he led that group through the fire. Vaughn is so poetic, you need a guy on the ground like Ron with both hands the wheel.

On the other hand, the rest of the band has many years doing this expertly, so I think they can navigate on their own and thrive which is all I hope for.
July 24, 2015 05:22AM
Lots of great statements here... I first saw midnite in 2007. At the time I was just getting in to reggae music. From the first show, it was Ron's energy towards the band, the audience, and the music as a whole that left its mark. I'm really grateful that Vaughn is still moving forwards with it all, but it won't be the same live experience without watching Ron's smile light up the room. I'm a bassist as well. I'm glad I took so many mental notes when I had the chance!

I'd really like to see Akae Beka play some of the material from Beauty for Ashes and Ride Tru. Or, bring on I grade showcase tour with Tippy on the sound!
July 24, 2015 11:21AM
so then was the tour canceling heath crisis the brothers falling out?
July 24, 2015 02:48PM
I'm thinking that the health crisis, which by looking at Vaughn it seems like there was one, may have led to the brothers dissociation in the band. Just a guess.

Love that reggae!
July 25, 2015 09:04AM
nomotrouble
I'm thinking that the health crisis, which by looking at Vaughn it seems like there was one, may have led to the brothers dissociation in the band. Just a guess.

That seems to be spot on nomo.
July 25, 2015 10:47PM
I did not have a hand in the audio or video of the Akae Beka show, just posted it here.

When i was much younger i learned a valuable lesson, one which i try and always remember when experiencing something precious. I used to actively collect minerals, and when i was in Alaska 25 years ago, i went into a gold mining shop that had minerals for sale also. They had a basket of small quartz crystals, and the owner told me a man had found them in a pocket up in the Brooks Range, and had brought them all in one day. I picked out the ten most stunning, they were almost perfect little separate crystals, one dollar each, and went home. I was looking at them and realized this was a real find, went back the next day to buy all the rest of them, and the owner looked at me and said, 'They aren't for sale anymore.'

Since then i try to buy the whole basket.

This is what happens to everything eventually, for whatever reason. Entropy dictates that nothing lasts forever. Every chance i got to see Midnite, i went. I recorded each one, videotaped 19 of 20 of them. And now, it may be that 'They aren't for sale anymore.' We have this new band, yes, and they sound good. Occasionally over the years Midnite would be compared to the Grateful Dead on the board here, in sort of a sarcastic critical manner. I'm not saying that the new band is like listening to Bob Weir sing 'Me and My Uncle' with Phil and Friends, but without that guy with the funny smile, listening to Bob is not the same. Is it enjoyable, yes, but not in the same way as it used to be.

The nice thing is that i'm sure there will be many Akae Beka shows in the future and we will see how it goes! After we go feel it, we will know it.

Love that reggae!
July 29, 2015 10:37PM
August 07, 2015 11:52PM
August 13, 2015 11:58AM
August 13, 2015 03:58PM
Thanks for posting Ras Adam!

I keep checking there website everyday waiting to see a NW tour!

Anyone thinking about bring Akae Beka to CA, OR, WA
August 14, 2015 06:17AM
Vaughn on dubs is a treat, not necessarily for new material but to hear verses with different patterns opens up the message in interesting/creative ways, will definitely be paying close attention.

Ras Adam what a lovely art piece, as many symbols as it has, to not see Selassie is puzzling.
August 14, 2015 03:48PM
I would really like to see a Dub Akae Beka show especially one with IGrade, would be fun to see that verses him performing with the band.
August 14, 2015 05:52PM
While I admire that very nice portrait of Vaughn Benjamin, I also find it puzzling to not see Selassie I represented there. Furthermore, what is up with all the egyptian heiroglyphics and the sphinx? I get the ancient Kemetic connection to Rasta, but were not the ancient Israelites enslaved by the egyptians??? Someone please explain...
August 17, 2015 11:00PM
Anyone? Anyone?? Bueeeler??

Can anyone shed some insight to my question please??
August 18, 2015 03:02AM
Egypt and Ethiopia share the nile and although it gets tricky with the timeline with major events, ultimately I think Egypt is a treasure trove as all ancient cultures are.

From a spiritual perspective, its interesting that on one one side you have monotheistic Israelites and on the other side you have egyptians who were made an example of in the bible. However to bring it back to the art piece, it looks like an admiration of the great works that come from egypt/africa which include Vaughn. Rastafari inspired Midnite to share the message with the world however the way the world interprets their actions varies greatly.
August 18, 2015 06:45PM
Give thanks for the word-power-sound Aztec Rasta! I appreciate your insight on this.
August 19, 2015 05:23AM
Interesting read on the mystical word "Beka": [mysteryarts.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2015 10:11AM by AztecRasta.
August 23, 2015 08:51AM
August 29, 2015 07:52PM
photo gail zucker
SOUND CHECK WITH AKAE BEKA (MIDNITE) AT THE STARWAVE ORGANIC MUSIC FESTIVAL IN PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND
WHAT A GORGEOUS DAY
August 31, 2015 07:31PM
Anyone have audio or video from the R.I. performance?
September 02, 2015 01:35AM

Gail Zucker with Akae Beka at the Starwave Organic Festival ~ Providence, Rhode Island
photo: Jahvtz Blanton
September 02, 2015 01:40AM
Gail Zucker Photos

September 02, 2015 06:01AM
Blessings for these pics, is that Christian Molina on the drums? if it is, he looks like he thinned out since I have last seen him.

Kings music!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login