Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite --> Akae Beka?

Posted by Ras Rubio 
Re: Midnite --> Akae Beka?
September 10, 2015 04:00PM
This was the first song that I heard from Midnite back in October 2003 and I was hooked ever since.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2015 06:19AM by Mikey J..
September 11, 2015 01:48AM
Mikey J.
This was the first song that I heard from Midnite back in October 2003 and I was hooked ever since.

This is a jewel in the sense that Midnite does not get into the romance side of reggae too much in the grand scheme of things

Thanks for posting!
September 11, 2015 03:22AM
September 11, 2015 04:19AM
Blessed Love

BRAND NEW Akae Beka single out today on Ras Elymental Records Label....

[www.cdbaby.com]

Give thanks
September 11, 2015 06:20AM
Anyone have tips on how to post the video with the thumbnail instead of just the link?
September 11, 2015 11:34AM

Love that reggae!
September 11, 2015 03:15PM
mikey j--the instructions are listed in the very first post called phorum rules & video posting tips.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
September 11, 2015 07:32PM
Thank mosquito killer. I thought I had, but realize now that I haven't been removing the 's' from the https in the url.
September 12, 2015 06:11PM
All the tunes on jubilees of zion are crucial, but one of my absolute faves is ...

September 22, 2015 03:57AM

Vaughn Benjamin of Midnite Live
Save the date San Diego! Vaughn Benjamin, the lead singer and voice of Midnite is back on tour as Akae Beka with the full band! Don’t miss this two day event Sunday November 8th and Monday November 9th. Nov 8th will feature LIVE performance and Nov 9th will feature a spoken word event. More details to be announced!
September 22, 2015 07:50PM
Totally agree with Hightgrade 1. it's like Prince changing his name....Beka will constantly have to refer to Midnite for people to know who it is....or Beka featuring Vaughn Benjamin....Groups always keep their name they made for themselves even when crucial band members leave the group....I just saw Third world..
September 23, 2015 12:44AM
Tuesday November 3rd
the Independent - San Francisco, CA

Wednesday November 4th
Moe's Alley - Santa Cruz, CA

Thursday November 5th
Miners Foundry - Grassvalley, CA

Saturday November 7th
19 Broadway - Fairfax, CA

http://www.akaebeka.com/tour-dates
September 23, 2015 01:20AM
I'm in for 19 broadway.

Love that reggae!
September 23, 2015 04:53AM
Yes Nomo, me deya!!

After watching that video above, I was starting to think about traveling to see Akae Beka, so it's a great relief to see them coming to Marin. Give thanks!
October 01, 2015 03:07PM
Sounds like Akae Beka is not coming to Oregon or Washington sadly. I don't know this for sure but not looking good from what I have heard.

The good news is that the Fairfax show is a Saturday night! So I will see you all at the Fairfax show! Cannot wait as this has been the longest I have had to go without seeing the most amazing band of the modern roots era.

EXCITED!
October 07, 2015 11:49PM
Blessed love phorum phriends...
The Akae Beka will be live in Nevada City on 11/5/15 @ Miner's Foundry. Special VI Opening acts to be announced soon. Advance tix available soon as well. All ages early show w/ DJ's Jah Mikey One, DJ RedLocks & Ital Catering. Give thanks.
October 08, 2015 05:00PM

I finally learned how to read directions and post a video...yaaay
and it is disabled sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2015 05:02PM by gabertron.
October 09, 2015 01:34AM
Blessed love roots lovers

Nevada City H.I.M Selassie I Selalbration
Thursday, 11/5/15

Akae Beka with Full Band

Opening Acts: Army & Danny I backed by DubMarket

DJ's Jah Mikey One & DJ Redloks will be warming it up

Advance ticket sales start tomorrow 10/9/15 @ 12AM

All Ages Early Show
$30 Advance/$35 Door

Doors @ 6 pm, 1st act @ 7:30
Online ticket link: [www.brownpapertickets.com]

Fliyah soon come

Give thanks
October 09, 2015 02:43AM
Now i'm gonna hafta see if i can get the next day off work. Army and Danny I with Dubmarket is a no brainer.

Love that reggae!
October 09, 2015 02:38PM
I really want to come to the Grass Valley show instead of the Fairfax show but beggers cannot be choosers. I have never seen Midnite at the venue in Fairfax and heard it is a cool little spot so I am grateful for that. I just have been to shows before in Nevada City and they are irie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2015 02:43PM by Rossta8.
October 09, 2015 04:40PM
Akae Beka Nevada City Show Online Ticket Link:

[www.brownpapertickets.com]

Give thanks n praise
October 10, 2015 04:13AM
Rossta, in Fairfax, you'll be standing a foot away from Vaughn if you want.

Love that reggae!
October 10, 2015 01:03PM
Are there definitely going to be tickets at the door? I'm most likely gonna drive down for this one, but don't have a way to pre-order a ticket. It would be ruff to make the four hour drive and find the show was sold out. Either way, very glad that Akae Beka is bringin the vibes out to Cali.

Ron or no Ron, I'll be full smiles to witness the music of Midnite again. It's been way too long!

Bless Up
October 10, 2015 04:28PM
gabertron

I finally learned how to read directions and post a video...yaaay
and it is disabled sad smiley

YES I ! thanks for posting this, checking out the whole album now
October 10, 2015 09:02PM
Blessed love rootsthroughsidewalks

They can probably hold the tix for you at the door, just Private Message me with your name & # of tix ok. GIve thanks
October 14, 2015 03:38PM
I would also like to have a ticket held for me in Fairfax as I am making an 8-9 hour drive and sounds like Fairfax has a smaller venue! Anyone know who puts on the Fairfax show?

Nomo, I have seen that from your videos from past Fairfax shows, does that venue allow for a late set?

Rooticalmama wish I could make it to your show too.
October 14, 2015 04:50PM
Tickets for 19 Broadway are available here. They have a hard 2am shut down for music Tyler....
October 14, 2015 06:05PM
Thank you Daniel! Will you attend this show? 2am is pretty good if they get the band started early enough.
October 14, 2015 06:07PM
I also see Akae Beka is releasing their first album entitled Homage to the land. All I have come up with so far.
October 15, 2015 12:26AM
nov 2nd coronation day release
October 15, 2015 02:44AM

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
October 15, 2015 05:30AM
Akae Beka <> Homage To The Land [listen]

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
October 15, 2015 04:27PM
Ras Danny
Akae Beka <> Homage To The Land [listen]

Jazzy! That is awesome he gives thanks to the land and natives, likewise we give thanks for our brothers for sharing reggae music and message of the creator and his messengers of truth in these times.

Fifth sun has put out some good collaborations with Midnite, the fifth sun is a prophecy of the southwest natives:

“The Hopi speak of four ages through which man has evolved. In each age, people started in perfect balance with the earth, the Creator and each other. But by the end of each age, they had turned away from nature laws and spiritual principles. The first age was destroyed by earthquakes, the second by an ice age, and the third by a flood. We are now approaching the end of yet another age with the earth out of balance and its people in disregard of spiritual principles.

"The Gods pleased with those sacrifices would give the Aztecs as their chosen ones victory in balttles, good harvesting, and mastery over all nations, Until one day when it would be time for the Fifth Sun To extinguish and with it the People of the fifth Sun will be no more."
October 23, 2015 10:25PM
Roll Call! Who is catching a Akae Beka set in Nor Cal soon!?
October 23, 2015 10:34PM
I'll be at the SF show for sure!
October 23, 2015 10:49PM
Nice Reggabe! Love to catch up with you at Fairfax show if you make it! I cannot make the SF show.
October 23, 2015 11:48PM
Me deya! Forward massive, this round of akae beka a go down in history, a new trod. Gotta swoop by 19th broadway and grab a ticket still.
October 26, 2015 03:25PM
Will 19 Broadway sell out?
October 26, 2015 04:50PM
Yes indeed. Heading to the sure-to-be-historic Nevada City show.
October 26, 2015 08:18PM
That Nevada City show will be epic Evan, really wish I could catch that night!
October 26, 2015 09:54PM
hoping to catch Nevada city and 19 Broadway

Love that reggae!
October 27, 2015 01:46AM
I'm taking the week off so I can see all their shows. Going to be at the San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Nevada City and Fairfax show. Feel so bless.
October 27, 2015 03:03PM
That is epic ZoulJah! I am jealous but very happy for you! See you in Fairfax!
October 30, 2015 02:48PM
Cannot wait to get to Fairfax and buy the new album and first Akae Beka album which is produced by 5th Son Homage to the Land!

Love the cover Ras Adam posted above with the artwork done by Ras Elijah Tafari. An illustration of the ten heavens of the book of Enoch!
November 03, 2015 08:15PM
This coming Sattaday at 19th and Broadway ina Fairfax! BUT $30-35 dollars? really?
November 03, 2015 09:12PM
Rossta8
Cannot wait to get to Fairfax and buy the new album and first Akae Beka album which is produced by 5th Son Homage to the Land!

Love the cover Ras Adam posted above with the artwork done by Ras Elijah Tafari. An illustration of the ten heavens of the book of Enoch!

Thank you for the insight, how did you know it was an Enoch reference?

What are your thoughts on the implications this new band will have Afrikan Roots Lab who produce Ikabah, Dezarie and lots of the Midnite albums?
November 04, 2015 06:42AM
Bless up reggae family!!!
Come out and support a reggae evening Thursday, November 5 in Nevada city at the minersfoundry cultural center!!!
Coronation celebration...
AKEA BEKA
DANNY I & ARMY w/ dub market band
JAH MIKEY ONE & DJ REDLOCKS
Kats kitchen serving ital food
Roots and cultural vending
ALL AGES FAMILY VIBES
** this is an early show because we have a curfew! Doors are at 6 o'clock the first band will be going on by 730 so come out early enjoy some food n cultural crafts and amazing music...
Tickets are still available online at Brown paper tickets.com and there will be plenty of tickets at the door..
We still have a few spaces to vend if you're interested give me a call 530-575-1778..
Give thanks for life everytime!!!

Blessings.
Sista Kat
November 04, 2015 06:53AM
Bless!!! So I just had time to read through a lot of the previous post it seems like the event has already been posted so hopefully it wasn't overdoing it by me reposting all the information !!! Thank u Ras Danny for posting the flyer I still can't figure out how to do that..
The tickets are $30 at the door not $35...
See u there!!!

Sista kat
November 04, 2015 09:55PM
AztecRasta, good times at Akae Beka last night.
Good to meet you, and good to experience the new Midnite experience.
Always a blessing to see these performances...
Enjoy moes alley! I'm looking forward to fairfax
November 04, 2015 11:40PM
How bout a little more in depth review Sense? How was the vibe? Crowded? How long was the show?

Love that reggae!
November 05, 2015 01:50AM
My bad nomo - post midnite day at work, things move a bit more slowly.
Show was great overall. It was not crowded at all, almost worryingly so. That didn't necessarily help with the vibe. It was still all very good. The absence of Ron was palpable to me. I'd characterize it this way: they got "there", but it took a bit longer than usual to do so. Both in terms of each song and the whole show. Things got better as show progressed. They started around 11 and played til 1:50. The consistency of finding that infectious groove was a bit spottier than in past. They played mostly midnite material. Remember jah - jah ovah. meditation, when it was good it was really good. Full joy for me several times.
Vaughn looked good. A bit less articulate than in past but who knows. He is so fricking deep. There were more " pull up" than I've seen recently. At times towards the end of songs. Stage set up was also different with feuilleton on the left hand of the stage and Kenny where he used to be; seems like they switched places. Molinari sounded great as usual. New keys were good.
Sound at the independent cannot be beat. Agree it was not loud enough and I recall the care Ron used to take to get sound just right before starting.
My general take is that it was awesome. It will take time for new bass (ras L?) to develop into new role. . Big shoes to fill, I do miss Ron. He had that great ability to find a perpetual groove that has a weird, longer frequency. Like a driving rhythm tied to a repetition of beat/pattern over a long timeframe. Kinda hard to explain that. That wasn't as evident with ras L. Ron also was a good stage presence always smiling.
Good but small crowd. Dj green b warming up the scene-nice up to her! She's pretty cool. Thanks for the discs!
I'm bummed I'm not going to moes but rejoice at the prospect of fairfax. Great to see familiar and new faces. Hope you enjoy grass valley and I may see u in fairfax.. Enjoy Akae beka everyone! Blessings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 07:22PM by Sense.
November 05, 2015 04:02AM
thanks for the excellent review!

Love that reggae!
November 05, 2015 03:04PM
Sense, your review makes sense.

The band was good at Moe's last night, but not great. Vaughn sounded really fine. Ras L hit all the notes, but not always the stride. When asked by my wife to describe the show this morning I put it like this: " 100% Vaughn, but only 75% Midnite."

I miss Ron.

But it sounds like he's supporting the Empress, Dezarie. And that is always a good thing.

More Music!
November 06, 2015 04:10PM
Great reviews! Thank you to all!

Aztec Rasta- to answer your question, I spoke to the artist of the cover about his works and he shared the Enoch reference with me.

Trying to get thru work so I can leave Oregon around 4pm today to get to Fairfax for the show!
November 07, 2015 02:18PM
If you need any more convincing:

Love that reggae!
November 08, 2015 12:00AM
November 08, 2015 03:10AM
Nevada city was nice...it's been a while since I've been there but they must have remodeled the place. I saw you working hard Nomo!!
I stayed the night at the national hotel in downtown nevada city and I think it's haunted...some strange noises and such seemed like the spirits were trying to play.
Beware!
I enjoyed army as well as midnite...I did get a little tired and that's on me but it's just not the same without both brothers on stage sad smiley
January 27, 2016 11:24PM
January 30, 2016 06:05PM
February 13th 2016 - Akae Beka in MEXICO CITY

There is a "Plaza México" in Ethiopia, which Selassie had constructed after he returned from Mexico. Plaza México is the only Plaza in the Ethiopia which is named after a different country.
January 30, 2016 08:03PM
A bredren just linked me to this video this morning. Crucial!

January 30, 2016 08:41PM
January 31, 2016 02:32AM
here's an obscure Vaughn Benjamin tune. anyone heard this before?

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
January 31, 2016 05:31AM
Yes, that tune is about 10 years old Ras Danny. I played it on my show in 05 or 06.
January 31, 2016 06:31AM
Never heard that before! What is the source?
January 31, 2016 03:06PM
February 01, 2016 01:17AM
Daniel
Yes, that tune is about 10 years old Ras Danny. I played it on my show in 05 or 06.

teachdem
Never heard that before! What is the source?

(i was certain You'd heard it Daniel)
that's from an album produced by Ricky 'Swann' Richardson who has played with many VI artists as well as a long stint with Culture...
the album is Back To My Roots, I have a burned copy. been hard finding any other info on it... here's a pic of the track listing

ooops, dint mean to mek it so big... oh well...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 02, 2016 01:48AM
What's up with that flyer? $2000??
February 02, 2016 04:16AM
$2000 JA + $16.52 US

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 20, 2016 04:03PM
Just watching some Midnite videos this morning, I'm realizing how much I miss seeing this band live. For a long time they'd been my favorite band to go see. The dynamic between Vaughn and Ron is unmatched. There's no other band I've seen that has the ability to unite the whole audience in such a powerful roots meditation.. Maybe others do it in one way or another, but that Midnite trance is unique to itself.

Still haven't seen Akae Beka yet.. I wish I could fly down to that show in JA! Serious line up there. Nevertheless, I feel like it's Ron's bass playing I miss more than anything else... Bring on Dezarie tour!!! and bring back MIDNITE!

Nomo- your youtube videos are such a valuable documentation of these special moments in time. I hope to get to meet you this summer and give thanks in person for your works.

Bless up y'all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 04:04PM by rootsthroughsidewalks.
February 20, 2016 07:24PM
well thanks rootsthroughsidewalks, lets make a point of meeting, village stage right up front before the first act.

here's one of my favorite midnite vids, one of many, admittedly:

Love that reggae!
February 21, 2016 03:36PM
Sounds like a plan!

Here's to hoping Akae Beka makes it to ROTR this year...

February 23, 2016 07:23AM
great i-view...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 08, 2016 05:00PM
Negril
March 16, 2016 01:12PM
March 16, 2016 03:49PM
Portals!!!

Artwork is on point!

Release date? any other details?

One Love!

Giving thanks!
March 16, 2016 03:53PM
Releasing World wide April 1st, although it sounds like you can pick it up at the Jamaica shows if you happen to be there.
March 17, 2016 01:19AM
Much appreciation RasTantan!!

Giving thanks!
March 17, 2016 06:01AM
Heavy Low
[soundcloud.com]

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 22, 2016 05:04PM
Nice audio*:

March 26, 2016 11:56PM
Portals albulm is now on iTunes with song previews

Let babylon go!

Giving thanks!
May 19, 2016 01:08AM
May 19, 2016 11:31PM
Maybe they will win a grammy, and can be interviewed on fox news again

May 20, 2016 03:55AM
I just watched that interview the other day. Not sure who posted that one originally, but it's a crucial interview, love seeing the brothers together!
May 20, 2016 05:03AM
Wow, I just now noticed on the "Portals" cover art the image of the guy cutting off the head of the serpent and then all the dominos falling away. That is fantastic symbolism that probably flies over most peoples' heads!
May 20, 2016 04:28PM
I was at that San Diego interview. It was REALLY early, and when i met the interviewer, i remember thinking to myself 'how is this guy going to ask good questions?' But he most definitely proved me wrong.....
May 20, 2016 04:33PM
I find that "most people" are smarter than I think
May 20, 2016 11:21PM
Daniel I remember watching this years ago and thinking poorly of the interviewer. When I re-watched it last night I was much more impressed. I'm sure it expanded his view of things
June 06, 2016 09:28PM
June 08, 2016 03:20PM
used to think Midnite was boring... done a complete 180 on this... would LOVE to see Akae Beka LIVE and Direct.. HEAVY ROOTS SOUND..
June 08, 2016 03:57PM
Here are their upcoming California dates:

Friday, July 22nd Oakland, CA - New Parrish
Saturday July 23rd Oroville, CA - Oroville Roots Rock Festival w/ Bunny Wailer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login