Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite --> Akae Beka?

Posted by Ras Rubio 
Re: Midnite --> Akae Beka?
June 08, 2016 04:54PM
welcome aboard the Midnite/Akae Beka train Ninja!
June 08, 2016 05:50PM
yeah... good to be here. I think going to the USVI 4 times over the past 5 years helps set the mood
June 08, 2016 11:50PM
Ninja - Did you get to see Pressure live? I've become a big fan of his lately. SNWMF would do well to bring out a VI showcase, maybe in a Dub style with I-Grade & Tippy!
June 09, 2016 11:53AM
Bless Love, ONES...

Ras Danny, InI have that Black Man Cd too. Think maybe I sent that ovah Yahweh years back.

Here's a gem I pulled up recently from a set in JA...SBD audio sounds so nice...

June 09, 2016 04:34PM
I did not... unfortunately I am never there when he is playing live. I go each year for this thing on St John called "A Day of Play" which is put on by a group called Using Sport for Social Change. It is always on the same day "Columbus Day" ... oh the irony... and I am only there for a week. St John is different, from what I have seen, than both St Thomas and St Croix. Not very many people in general. Only two small towns, Cruz Bay which is a tourist place and Coral Bay which isn't even really a town... smaller than Willits... Most of the island is a National Park so it is REAL nice if you don't need to see many people. Lots of GREEN and lots of remote white sand beaches.. not bad at all. I really want to go to St Croix, I just haven't had the pleasure yet. They have a ferry starting up again from St Thomas to St Croix so I plan on going this year in October.
June 13, 2016 10:54PM
Ninja! I hope to meet you in July in Southern Oregon at the Akae Beka show.

I used to own my own business and made it my job to be at every Midnite show in the NW and Cali but a year ago things changed for me with a fiancé, a 7-4 and a two mortgages. Good things in life but not good for being able to travel to reggae shows.

I have one vacation day left this year and I am trying to make it workout for that show in Southern Oregon, hope to see you there.

Tyler Rossta!
June 14, 2016 01:33AM
Gonna miss you again this year Tyler sad smiley We saw The Skints last night and they were great.
June 14, 2016 03:01AM
yes brother.. as soon as I saw that show I thought of you.. I will be there for sure. Love that it is in Williams.... Been through there NUFF times.
June 14, 2016 11:35PM
Akae Beka is coming back to Santa Cruz with a Tippy and I Grade dub set opener on 7/22/2016. Moe's Alley.
June 20, 2016 09:13PM
Sorry Aaron G,

I hate that I have missed the last two years. Soon I will be back at SNWMF, would have been nice to see you and the Guam posse!

Ninja, I will definitely try to be there and will message you if I can make it! Bless
June 20, 2016 09:18PM
Yeah Rossta it's your dream come true... a Tippy-I Grade dub showcase! I hope they bring Pressue along...
June 20, 2016 09:23PM
I am so excited! After Ron and Vaughn split I kept thinking that Vaughn just needs to tour with Tippy and let him spin those amazing beats and let Vaughn do his thing. Now I can hear Akae Beka and meet Tippy and hear that sound live.

This really is the most exciting concert in a long time for me! It has been two years of very little live reggae music and my last Midnite show was NWWRF two summers ago. It was an epic 5 hour performance but I am still long over due for some good VI roots vibes.

How are things in your life Reggabe?
June 20, 2016 10:53PM
Thanks for asking Rossta! Well, currently I am licking my wounds after a long Warriors season with a disappointing ending. I am a big basketball & Warriors fan, but I invested way too much time and energy in following the Dubs this season, which was great, but in the end it is just entertainment and I need to focus more on my own life.

Haven't been attending too many reggae shows lately, missed SNWMF, but I did see Protoje in March which was awesome, and I am surely going to Reggae on the River in August and am very much looking forward to it! Also will have to check out this Akae Beka/I-Grade tour in July. Hope you are doing well Rossta, I saw that you are getting married and I send you my blessings. Maybe I'll catch you at one of the festivals next summer!
June 21, 2016 05:57PM
I get the sport thing Reggabe! My family is born and raised in Santa Rosa, CA before we moved to Bend, OR. My 3 little brothers are die hard Warriors fans and myself have been one since I was young but stopped following the NBA about ten years ago. I am a die hard Manchester United fan and European football fan in general. I have season tickets for the Portland Timbers also and commute to their games regularly. Soccer and reggae have always been my loves in life but with my fiancé and dream we started of being retired by 45 I have been working waaaaaaaaaay to much. I don't see my summers being free for years sadly as I must work hard in my 30s. In my 20s though I was free to travel to any reggae show I could and even traveled to catch some Manchester United games.

Anyway Reggabe sorry the Warriors lost, I watched all 7 games of the finals and felt that game 5 with Green being out is what really hurt us, that was the Warriors game to win it all in my opinion. Sad to break the record and fall one game short, my condolences.

I am so excited for the Igrade Akae Beka tour, it is the way forward for Vaughn I feel.

Bless
June 21, 2016 10:36PM
I'm feeling y'all about the excitement for Akae Beka tour! I haven't seen them yet, but got a lot more excited for a full power experience after listening to the Steppin High set from JA a bunch. The sound and the vibe, even just through recording, has gotten way tighter since their first couple shows. I'm gonna try to make it to at least one show on this tour. The Williams show looks awesome (anybody know the details of that venue or how to get tickets online?) but that Haile Selassie I Earthday show at the Oroville fest looks too good to miss as well. Akae Beka, Bunny Wailer, Hempress Sativa and more all in one day!

Also really stoked that Dezarie and Ron are touring CA in August! I haven't gotten any official confirmation but hearing pretty solid word of a Humboldt show smiling smiley We need it!
July 06, 2016 10:34PM
Does anyone have recordings from July 2nd?
July 06, 2016 11:45PM
Reggabe
Ninja - Did you get to see Pressure live? I've become a big fan of his lately. SNWMF would do well to bring out a VI showcase, maybe in a Dub style with I-Grade & Tippy!

The VI showcase back in 2005ish was amazing and a definite highlight of any live performances that I've seen. Jalani from Bambu Station was in tears during one song and then most, if not all, of the other VI artists joined Bambu Station on stage for a killer encore!!!
July 07, 2016 12:05AM

most, if not all, of the other VI artists joined Bambu Station on stage for a killer encore!!!

Yes, that was sweet indeed....!
July 07, 2016 02:14AM
the Williams site is a small outdoor spot, within walking distance of the main road. Midnite hadda wikkid set there couple years back...

Roots Family Productions Presents:
Vaughn Benjamin (voice of Midnite) ~ The AKAE BEKA with Full Band
plus opening Dub session with Tippy I (I Grade Dub)

+++++Sponsorship & Vending opportunities available+++++
*******(local, handmade natural products only please)******
Please respond to rootsfamilyproductions@gmail.com for inquiries

Hosted by King Toby of Roots 'n' Kulcha Radio outta Eugene Oregon

also opening will be Southern Oregon's own
Ras Gabriel & the 4Word Band with Special Guest Soulmedic

Tuesday, July 26th 2016

~ THIS WILL BE AN EARLY, FAMILY FRIENDLY, OUTDOOR SHOW & A BENEFIT FOR SUGALOAF COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION (SCA) ~

Sugarloaf Community Land
206 Tetherow Road
Williams Oregon 97544

Purchase advance tickets online at: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2563043
$25 in advance

Youth 12 & under Free
Youth between ages of 13 & 18 ~ $10 at the door

All Ages
Family Friendly
Food & Vendors

Absolutely No Alcohol & No Dogs

Roots Family Productions Promotes Live, Conscious Reggae, Hip Hop & World Music to Families with Children, Folks who Rise Early in the Morning and to all Roots Family at Reasonable Hours of the Day & at Kid Friendly, Alcohol-Free Venues.

About the AKAE BEKA

Life changes, convictions, and revelations compel in this new name the Akae Beka.
Those words officially issued on AkaeBeka.com heralded the change as acclaimed reggae singer Vaughn Benjamin (Midnite) assumed the mantle of Akae Beka, the sacred oath named in the Book of Enoch, for his new roots project.

With the name comes responsibility, a promise to keep. On Portals (released April 1, 2016, on I Grade Records) Akae Beka has deep, urgent truths to impart.

Its the second CD under the name, after last years Homage to the Land, and delves deeper into the sounds that Akae Beka has already begun to explore. Musically, its a very different take on roots reggae, still with Benjamins Rastafari rawness, but dominated by the heavily-textured guitar work of Padraic Coursey, a collaboration between the two artists thats been growing for the last couple of years.

Portals offers a new direction for an internationally lauded artist who began his musical career in the late 1980s, when Vaughn Benjamin founded Midnite with his brother Ron Benjamin at their home on the Caribbean island of St. Croix. From the bands beginning they kept to the spiritual side of roots reggae, using the Rastafari chant and call style of vocals that also remain the foundation of Akae Beka. With conscious lyrics that emphasize the possibility of redemption through Jah, the bands audience grew all over the world as people heard the music and took the message to their hearts.

Akae Beka is not Midnite reborn. Rather, its a continuation of Benjamins journey, taking it down a new path of devotion and spirituality. But songs like Love Is The Mainstay and By All For All show that the commitment to justice, to love, are every bit as powerful as ever. But for Benjamin, that subject matter is second nature.

I think because I study and Im very introspective away from studio, when I get there maybe its already waiting I dont know, Benjamin told Reggaeville.com in 2014. With Portals he offers the listener the openings to that other, spiritual side. It music thats intended to provoke thought, to raise challenges and question, and his unique delivery, mixed with Courseys guitar work and the Zion I Kings production team on St. Croix make the music instantly memorable. Its music to nourish the soul and the heart.

Its not an easy road to travel for any artist, but to Benjamin, what Akae Beka can achieve makes it all worthwhile.

Use the time wisely and make it be profitable and lucrative for the least amount of give and thats the world today, Benjamin explained to journalist Angus Taylor. But I know that things of spirit and matters of spirit are not that simple.

The Book of Enoch, Chapter 68, states: He spoke to holy Michael to discover to them the sacred nameThis is the power of that oath; for powerful it is, and strong. And he established this oath of Akae by the instrumentality of the holy Michael. These are the secrets of this oath, and by it were they confirmed.

On Portals, the oath of Akae Beka is kept, and the glimmerings of truth revealed.

About Laurent 'TIPPY I' Alfred

Laurent "Tippy I" Alfred, a native of St. Croix, is a musician, producer, audio engineer, and co-owner of I Grade Records. Since launching I Grade Records in 2001 Tippy I has produced, recorded and mixed over 30 albums with a range of roots reggae artists including Midnite, Pressure, Lutan Fyah, Dezarie, Niyorah, Perfect Giddimani, Glen Washington, Cornel Campbell, Toussaint, Danny I, Army, Abja and many others.

Tippy Is skills as an audio engineer are highly developed after 15 years of actively recording and mixing music in the Virgin Islands, Jamaica and NYC. The current headquarters for Tippy Is audio work is Aqua Sounds Studio in St. Croix, where he serves as head engineer and operates I Grade Studio out of Studio B. Tippy I is also an accomplished dub mixer - both studio and live, through his recently launched live dub sound system, I Grade Dub.

While he is most known for his work in the reggae genre, Tippy I is also a composer/producer of a wide range of musical creations, from hip hop to soul to film scores. While based in Brooklyn NYC before relocating back to his home in St. Croix in 2005, he was a member of the Downbeat Production Collective that produced several notable hip hop songs including "Hell Yeah" by dead prez feat. Jay-Z and "Ridin'" by David Banner feat. dead prez and Talib Kweli. As a recording engineer at Aqua Sounds Studio, he has recorded everything from steel pan orchestras, to bluegrass bands to jazz ensembles. His mixing and mastering credits have branched out from his own labels activities, and he has recently mixed for a range of artists from the VI, US, Jamaica, Europe, and Latin America

As a musician and producer, Tippy Is recent works are primarily centered around his collaborative productions. Zion I Kings - a collective of the producers of I Grade Records, Zion High Productions and Lustre Kings Productions - has developed a powerful new sound that has the feel of classic roots, but with a cutting edge HD quality and progressive creativity. Soundponics is a production duo featuring Tippy I and Padraic Coursey, the head of Aqua Sounds Studio. Soundponics has produced for a range of artists including Midnite, I Octane, Shay, Jahdan Blakkamoore, and Deeana Brown. Tippy I is also a bandleader and has served as the musical director and keyboardist with the Red I Band and the Jah Current Band - backing bands for many of the reggae artists in the Virgin Islands.

About Ras Gabriel:

Born in the Rocky Mnts. and raised in Hawaii, Ras Gabriel has been playing reggae music for nearly 25 years. He was taught proper Nyahbinghi drumming and reggae instrumentation by Jamaican Elders. Ras Gabriel has toured with The Meditations from Jamaica.
In addition to playing keys for The Meditations, Ras Gabriel has also played keys for Mark Wonder, Rocker T., Messenger Selah, The LambsBread and many more.
Ras Gabriel produces most all of his own music as well as being featured on "Riddim" compilations with such artists as Anthony B., Lutan Fiya, Daweh Congo, Messenger Selah, SoulMedic, Prezident Brown and more. With his band 4Word he has shared the stage with Burning Spear, The Wailers, Damian "Jr.Gong" Marley, The Abbysinians, Sizzla, Culture, The Wailing Souls, Pato Banton, Prezident Brown, The Rebirth Brass Band, Eek A Mouse, and many more.
The Message of Ras Gabriel is World Unity,Peace and Justice delivered in a chant/sing style with full band or simply acoustic. Venue to festival, street corner to big stage,studio or on the beach, Ras Gabriel will be playing music for the masses!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2016 03:15AM by Ras Danny.
July 07, 2016 08:07PM
Daniel

most, if not all, of the other VI artists joined Bambu Station on stage for a killer encore!!!

Yes, that was sweet indeed....!

What a great photo, thanks for sharing Daniel! I ended up working with Bambu Station over the next few years (2006-2009) promoting and playing shows down here in San Luis Obispo (SLO Town) and Santa Barbara and I must say, they truly are some of the most humble and down to earth people I have ever met.
July 07, 2016 09:56PM
Thanks for posting Ras D! Great informative post! Look forward to seeing you in Williams, OR.

No way can I miss this!
July 07, 2016 11:28PM
July 12, 2016 03:15AM

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
July 14, 2016 02:55AM

wha.... no Giligan hat?!feeling red smiley
July 16, 2016 09:34PM
July 18, 2016 03:46AM
Someone video tape these shows!
July 18, 2016 11:39PM
July 19, 2016 10:09PM
July 21, 2016 02:16AM
July 21, 2016 04:12AM
That is an awesome shirt!
July 22, 2016 09:46PM
Excited to see Akae Beka and Tippy in Bend, OR this Sunday! Really am still in shock about it being in my hometown.

Shirt is awesome, going to grab two! One for Aaron G too! Cause he is the man!
July 23, 2016 12:08AM
Rossta8
Excited to see Akae Beka and Tippy in Bend, OR this Sunday! Really am still in shock about it being in my hometown.

Shirt is awesome, going to grab two! One for Aaron G too! Cause he is the man!

Thanks Rossta8!
July 23, 2016 04:34AM
Tyler, Todd is probly coming up there Sunday...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
July 23, 2016 10:25AM
Respectfully not feeling the new sound. Went with curiosity (and an open mind) to see the new incantation of the band in Santa Cruz @ Moe's on 7/22/16. With Midnite, you could always expect to wiggle & skank during 3 hr. sets and get a heavy dose of meditative reggae at the same time. Meditative element is still there, but this slow-tempo set was boring to be frank. I found myself following several others to the door about an hour into the set. Just didn't have that pep that always got the juices and excitement flowing with Midnite. I'm curious to compare Dezarie's upcoming tour to see if she still capture's the old magic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2016 10:34AM by IRIEMON.
August 11, 2016 10:16PM
Akae Beka Live in Williams Oregon July 26 2016 vidbybill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2016 10:28PM by Kenny.
August 11, 2016 10:55PM
i finally met vidbybill at reggae on the river last week. good stuff.

Love that reggae!
August 15, 2016 12:20AM
live from RALAK fest Florida
[www.facebook.com]
August 15, 2016 10:59PM
tippy's son dubbing
[www.facebook.com]
August 16, 2016 06:51AM
someone else noticed and commented as well, elsewhere inna next thread that they could not see anything but a matt black square where the video's are supposed to be here... anyone else notice that? cas that's ALL i see. the cursor does not hit on it. nothing.

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
August 16, 2016 05:54PM
ya that's what we all see. unless I use my wife's ipad, then it looks normal.

Love that reggae!
September 24, 2016 01:01PM
October 04, 2016 08:30PM
October 05, 2016 01:02AM
i got 99 dollars but a tee aint one
[www.ebay.com]
October 05, 2016 08:45PM
Greeting Phorum Phamily
Zion Roots Sound Proudly Presents The "Livicated" Tour: Akae Beka feat. Vaughn Benjamin & Full Band Live & Direct with Zion Roots Sound warming it up
Dates:
11/5/16- The BrookTrails Lodge, Willits, music til 3 am
11/6/16-The Elbo Room, San Francisco
11/9/16- Blue Lake Casino, FREE Early Show 9-1, Limited Capacity
11/10/16-The Haven, Nevada City (Sista Kat Production)
11/11/16- Forestville Club, Forestville
11/12/16- Outer Aisle, Murphys 9-1 (Intimate Venue-Advance Tickets Encouraged)
All Shows have advance tickets available
On Brownpapertickets.com & separate Facebook event pages
[m.facebook.com]
New Akae Beka/Zion High Productions Album "Livicated" Releasing 10/21/16 will be available at all shows.
Give Thanks
Any questions email: zionrootsproductions@gmail.com
October 05, 2016 10:54PM
October 05, 2016 10:58PM
That Williams video is pretty nice. Classic Midnite style much sweeter later. The slow build.
October 06, 2016 08:04PM
October 15, 2016 02:06AM
LIVICATED west coast tour dates:

Sat. 11/5/16 Brooktrails Lodge, Willits, CA

Sun. 11/6/16 Elbo Room, San Francisco, CA

Wed. 11/9/16 Blue Lake Casino in Blue Lake, CA (Humboldt County).

Thurs. 11/10/16 Haven Underground, Nevada City, CA

Fri. 11/11/16 Forestville Club - Forestville, CA

Sat. 11/12/16 Outer Aisle, Murphys, CA
October 19, 2016 08:27PM
October 29, 2016 04:41PM
October 31, 2016 02:28AM
King Toby (Roots N' Kulcha Radio/KWVA-Eugene) i-view w/Akae Beka

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
November 02, 2016 12:58AM
November 08, 2016 09:58PM
Blessed Love Phorum Family
More love and life to all who are attending & supporting the #AkaeBeka shows on the #LivicatedTour presented by Zion Roots Sound

This week:
Today- Mt. Shasta Headwaters
Tomorrow- Wednesday, 11/9/16 FREE show at Blue Lake Casino, show from 9-1
Thursday 11/10- Nevada City, Haven Underground, This one is limited capacity as well, advance tickets on Brownpapertickets.com
Friday, 11/11- Forestville Club, Forestville- Advanced Tickets at BrownpaperTickets, TIckets at door as well
Saturday, 11/12- Outer Aisle in Murphys, This one has limited capacity as well, Advance Tickets on Brownpapertickets.com Tickets at door as well if it doesn't sell out by Saturday, 11/12.

Give thanks and give JAH the glory
December 12, 2016 05:02AM
December 12, 2016 05:13AM
live from the Rainforest NOW...Check the FB link above
December 12, 2016 06:04AM
December 13, 2016 10:39PM
December 27, 2016 03:10AM
January 27, 2017 12:43PM
March 07, 2017 08:33PM
March 14, 2017 06:57PM
March 14, 2017 09:17PM
Look forward to this (Jah Say Do).
Portals is top shelf and as good as any grammy winning album IMO.
"endorphins the entrance..."
March 15, 2017 04:35PM
[soundcloud.com]

Insightful interview with Vaughn...
March 15, 2017 10:25PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login