Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WhiteMan/ woman put down my Culture Down and take one STEP BACK...

Posted by Irie_I 
WhiteMan/ woman put down my Culture Down and take one STEP BACK...
April 13, 2004 04:27PM
So I saw this on Dancehallreggae.com and I wanted some opinions because it got me a little angry.....

Now first up I am not saying white man or woman cyaan love REGGAE or PLAY Reggae . Cause i’d be a ass if I didn’t admit that the white man love of reggae is what has made ROOTS reggae STRIVE for years after the death and even before the death of R.N.M. But look ya now no is time unnu tek unnu claaath outta wi Cookie Jar as far as unnu representation…… I have had enough of unnu being the FACE of REGGAE in MAJOR MARKETS.. first in NY the BIGGEST RADIO STATION HOT 97 has BOBBY KONDERS and his side kick Jigga Boo Jabba. Now why is it with all the Jamaicans in NY who have sets, play set, or own record shop & set. Why is it the best we can do is white guy who yells RRRRA RAAA RAAA on the radio 11pm @ Night.. I mean why is it that it’s always the WHITE man face yu de associate wid WEST INDIAN CULTURE in a major market.. The powers that be no feel that a black man from Jamaica can represent his own heritage?

And ohh how can I forget VIBE magazine representative of the YARD way of LIFE..A portly WHITE MAN named ROB KENNER. This @#$%& look like he really know what yard life is. Jamaica has more than what you would called educated writers in the field to more than pacify VIBE which I find strangely enough was founded by a black man but gives the white mans voice to represent the Caribbean.. is up with that ROB KENNER is the VOIVE million of people read as what going on in JAMAICA? I don’t see Jamcians writign for and GRUNGE or ACID ROCK or any other form of MUISC so why the **** is the white man REPPING our way of life? You can check any reggae label in NY or any other city and see who you deal wid when walk inn dem office you always get a white guy as the go between .

I like mi say I have no problem with white guys playing and loving reggae. I have problem with the face that is repping my **** from coast to coast and world wide. When a black man try put a magazine a road fi reggae yu hear den tell yu it not big enough. But it big enough fi feed Bobby and Rob Thou?

Look at the face of Reggae in NY whe wrong with this **** !!!!!
Re: WhiteMan/ woman put down my Culture Down and take one STEP BACK...
April 13, 2004 04:50PM
Well, my opinions are listed in that thread under the same name...Chimino, so I won't bother to reiterate here. But if you have a problem with the man's words, best explain why.
solid rock
Re:more old garbage
April 13, 2004 05:14PM

this is actually an old argument.

there are some valid points to the idea that the music makers should be the only or at least primary recipients of any benefit that comes from it. but that is a concept that would only work in a vacuum -- it doesn't get things done in the real world.

people of differing heritages have made very significant in bringing reggae to the people across the globe. some of them have taken more benefit from it than others.

but the answers are not clear. what about the Chin family? they are Chinese-Jamaicans, but they are still Jamaican, and still built and ran studios and record businesses that moved the music. and what about the Hoo-Kim brothers? building Channel One took 80s dancehall to the next level... really penetrated the UK markets with artists like Barrington Levy, who was really growing as Bob was beginning to really battle cancer.

so speaking of Bob, who of us is sure we would know him without the work of Chris Blackwell? of course, his legacy should be better known for the timless gems he issued from Jackie Edwards, Laurel Aitken, The Blues Busters, Owen Gray, Millie Small, and more throughout the early 1960s.

and then of course there's the way Chris brought The Wailers to the masses: in 1973, when Blackwell releases the "Burnin'" LP, he did two specific things that had a huge impact on the Wailers subsequent penetration of the US and UK pop-culture markets. first, he took the JA-recorded tracks and overdubbed new intros and other instruments that would make the songs have a sound more consistent with the rock that was dominating the airwaves (for example, an extra, rock-styled guitar lick at the beginning of the song, that would make a smooth segue much easier for radio DJs). the other thing he did was invest in a novelty design of the jacket -- the zippo cover that many of us know.

anyone who has traced the history of The Wailers can tell you the difference between their pre-1973 career and what happened after "Burnin'". in fact, it's what happened after "Burnin'" that has brought most of us to this board, and brings most people who come to SNWMF.

the truth is that without the business acumen of all kinds of people (Chin family, etc.), and without the skill and acumen of others (Bobby Konders), much of what could be called "black music" would have remained just that, and the whole world would be poorer for it.

peace
April 13, 2004 05:14PM
i* knew it was only a matter of time before this clot would start on dis community board just like evry other popular rasta/reggae message board over the web. seen dat dis thread is complete waste of breath i* tink i'll go bleach my socks & dump the bottle over i* head aswell because im not looking nuff pale today for the kkk. time to pass the mic. any takerz? mr. bobo reid where are you? "ONE BLOOD!"
Iri_I
April 13, 2004 05:17PM
Good Jahmeek you were not invited anyways...i just wanted input from real reggae fans

April 13, 2004 05:19PM
-stop+ your gonna mek my eyes wet now+ be nice or im telling the teacher. JAH*
Iri_I
April 13, 2004 05:31PM
So chimino are there any white sound men that you rate? Or are they all only radio and mix tape men like Unity and rodigan which you mentiond? I dont really have a problem with his words because I understand his argument. I just wanted some opinions from this board because it is a different mix of people. I grew up in England and been selecting for a while and now i am in Houston where there is a limited scene outside the west indian community and i feel the affects because i dont get as much bookings. I just want to understand if it is true that I can never REALLY be apart of something that i have been around for 13 years.
sillysquirt
April 13, 2004 06:54PM
Didn't we have this same conversation back under GROUNDATION? Jahmeek is right, it's a sucked dry subject. Only comment, it has nothing to do with light and dark, but there was a big change around the 'burnin' album,(solid rock) what made it happen? You could talk about it all day, but we are blessed it did happen. Much aloha- sillysquirt
April 13, 2004 07:09PM
-o'yeah+ the groundation post i* almost forgot that was first appearence not dis one. cant give the oppressor no matter wha shade of brown any credit to fame now. peace in>
April 13, 2004 08:38PM
i understand what you're saying about vibe, in american society today it is often that the media try to use a white guy to sell and represent black culture. But I think even more of a negative effect is this crappy combo of trying to be a superstar rapper and reggae artist, such as shaggy and sean paul, i just wanted to say those guys blow.
Acacia
April 13, 2004 09:13PM
Sure do.
April 13, 2004 09:41PM
um, Acacia, are you agreeing that shaggy and sandra paul blow?
Pale Ryder
April 13, 2004 10:09PM
I would agree with that!
jb welda
April 13, 2004 10:17PM
i wouldnt agree with that. sean paul especially puts out wicked yard music, it just doesnt get onto his american major label records.

one love
jah bill
Pale Ryder
April 13, 2004 10:28PM
Yeah, well I guess I am wrong. I was basing that statement on what I have seen and heard get play, I have heard his "yard" stylee too thought. Are you talking about songs like infiltrate. Can you suggest any other tunes by him that are worthy of the yard label?
solid rock
April 13, 2004 10:40PM

"enemy" (el paso) from about 1997

"deport dem" (k-licious) no matter how many times its played, a wicked tune..

"dem a fraud" (good vybz) from late '03 / early '04 -- in my opinion SP's best tune since "infiltrate". yes, better than "gimme the light", or "get busy"...didn't go big or anything... just my opinion.
Acacia
April 13, 2004 10:57PM
I haven't heard anything from Sean Paul but what's on the radio. That didn't make me want to search for more. But I have NEVER liked Shaggy. I just don't like his style at all.
jb welda
Re: white/black whats it matter?
April 13, 2004 11:50PM
tell dem solid. and by the way, when can i expect that sean paul yard cd for my girlfriend? :-)

one love
jah bill
TV MAN
April 13, 2004 11:51PM
Oh, I see what you're saying.
It's like when I get upset because some ultra white dude from New York City tries to sing a country western tune like he was really born and raised in the the backwoods of Arkansas next door to the Beverly Hillbillies.
Well doggie.
Y'all come back now.
April 14, 2004 02:52AM
Iri_I, there are some sound in Europe I rate (Rodigan is not one), namely One Love from Italy...tho I think they could all use Jamaican/Caribbean mic men. Since I'm in Berkeley I check out Jah Warrior sound on Sundays, tho I feel they are not the best clash sound here (not sure if you read my post in the thread about the last Bay clash we had here). Rocker T gets on my nerves.
Anyway, like the original post said, the arguement isn't that white people should not participate in reggae music, only that we should not play the predominant role...either culturally or thru monetary rewards.
April 14, 2004 03:28AM
not trying to be an ass or get off topic...but I believe the BM lp your refering to is actually Catch A Fire, not Burnin'.
as far as the topic goes, unfortunatley, like most aspects of the music industry, the driving factor is money. Who spends money on reggae in the US? What do you think is the dominent race on this board for instance? Makes good business sense to market your product for your buying public. Not right, but most certainly real.

Respect due,
Rudy
Iri_I
April 14, 2004 01:49PM
One Love killed it at the UK cup clash.
solid rock
Re:
April 14, 2004 04:33PM

Chimino do you know if Vibes Supreme ever still plays the Bay Area? if i remember right there is a connection to ATL.. and some/part of the crew is there..

they could play wicked wicked... i saw a small "world clash" in Oakland and Vibes got robbed, they gave it to Golden Axe i think
April 14, 2004 04:42PM
yeah man, in fact I just found their website yesterday...
[alliancemuzik.com]

I wish I had been at that World Clash, didnt have $ at the time to go and it seems there may not be another. At least not one of that caliber. Was it well supported?
April 14, 2004 04:43PM
"One Love killed it at the UK cup clash."

No doubt, that second round they played was the best round I've heard a sound play in years. Still can't believe they got eliminated so early.
Iri_I
April 14, 2004 05:12PM
That Max Romeo dub and when they dropped the Fiesta was large. it sounded like the crowd was at its height there.
pat
April 14, 2004 05:17PM
"um, Acacia, are you agreeing that shaggy and sandra paul blow?"

I dont know about shaggy... I would like to know opinions of sean pauls live performance..
no disrespect, but I saw him in dc about 7 months ago.. biz markie warmed it up 4 a while on the turntables doing some really cool ****. it was impressive.. that probably lasted about at least an hour.... then sean paul came out for literally, no more than 20 minutes.. no live band... and was struggling pullin off his lyrics... voice kinda busted up, worn out...

then biz markie came out for more after sean pauls brief, kinda weak performance..

respect to sean paul... but his live show 4 me was a real big dissapointment.

anyone else have thoughts on this?
peace
solid rock
Re:
April 14, 2004 05:28PM

SP being a weak stageshow performer is not new either

the thing to remember about him is that yes he is a good deejay, but he basically fluked into fame. he cut one tune ("Gimme the Light"winking smiley that got a little play when it came out, but somehow got back into rotation almost a year later at New York's Hot 97, putting the tune in prime position to cross over, which it did.

imo there are lots of more talented deejays out there, who haven't lucked into the light like SP and Elephant Man: Degree, Buccaneer... even Danny English and Harry Toddler have at least as many strong rides at SP. Buju and Beenie Man have gotten some exposure, and i think they deserve it (wasn't checking a lot of Beenie for a minute there but he's had a strong year)...
Iri_I
April 14, 2004 05:29PM
there are alot of good s.p. cuts, but i agree his perfermences are crap. Most people only know what they hear on the radio by him and its to bad. That would be like buying beenie Mans Tropical "wave" album and judging him by that.
solid rock
Re:
April 14, 2004 05:31PM

> Tropical "wave"

yeah skip that
April 14, 2004 05:39PM
SP has never been known for his live performances. Now that he, Wayne Wonder and Elephant Man too, are getting mainstream popularity, there are growing pains on how to showcase them. WW had a 20 min show here. Ele played for about 45 min.

I saw him a few Months ago in Long Beach, it was a great show all together. Ele and Wayne Wonder too, everyone was in tip top shape.

The difference between local and Long Beach was M.O.N.E.Y.
band, backup singers and all a that. probably they had support from the majors(the dancers were well in sync)

Shaggy is a whole nother story. He has been hugely popular for long time. He embraced the US Pop culture and is able to encorporate it into his style with great success. I like his style, he ALWAYS mash up the dance. The same cannot be said for SP, WW or EM.

I saw a thing on TV once where Shaggy got to kick it with the playboy playmates. In the interviews with the gyals, they gushed over shaggy and how much and how long they have loved his music. They were all just stupid they were so star struck. Shaggy was jus cool and calm and they eat it up, every bit. I consider Shaggy more than just a success, his is a Don.
April 14, 2004 06:47PM
"That Max Romeo dub and when they dropped the Fiesta was large. it sounded like the crowd was at its height there."

Oh yes, that was heavy. "Iron Shirt" is one of their biggest tunes, can't believe they got him to cut a special just for that dance.
Oh and what about Freddie Mac singing "One Love kill sound inna Oceans" (the name of the venue, to the tune of "Big Ship"winking smiley.
If they get a new mic man who can chat better Patois, they will be lethal.
April 14, 2004 08:36PM
If you're not a good live performer then what the hell are you? You're just some guy that sits in a studio with people that make your CD sound pretty. Live performances are how you gain respect and show people that you're for real, and i had never seen SP live before, but from what i hear it's nothing to spend money on.
April 14, 2004 08:40PM
you ever bought one of his CD's?
April 14, 2004 08:56PM
SORTA got off this thread's original theme, but y'know, STAGE-CRAFT &
studio craft two different things---there's performers who can come w/
strong sounds in the studio who can't translate to a live setting, and vice-versa.
Those who can do it all are what Old Time People use to call 'well-rounded'.
A problem, I've noticed, 'mongst many in hip-hop circles as well as current
dancehall is lack of skills in being able to move the crowd(the tendency of sounsystems these days to not carry a crew of singers & DJs
means new guys comin' up don't get that seasoning in front of the crowd).
Acacia
April 14, 2004 08:58PM
I think respect should be given based on the content of material, not just the live performance. It sucks when an artist is not good live, but it doesn't mean they're nothing. Unless they don't write their own lyrics.
April 14, 2004 09:12PM
"content of material" is so subjective.

shaggy tends to lean toward slackness. slackness done well can be a fantastic thing.
if the rhyme is tight and cleverly delivered, content doesnt have to mean conscious.
i love me some slacknesssmiling smiley dont get me wrong, i like conscious too, but too many people dis the next mans tune due to "content" and not musical talent.
Iri_I
April 14, 2004 10:11PM
Yeah one love definatly need someone to chant some more fuckary...
April 14, 2004 10:14PM
xactly my point.
Acacia
April 14, 2004 11:17PM
Yeah, you're right, it is subjective. I don't mean content in terms of conscious vs. slackness. I think an artist should be judged based on the composition of their lyrics and delivery on the track. "Slackness done well" is subjective too. I don't mind slackness itself, but there is some sh*t I just don't want to hear. But if we're talking about respect, the lyrical content has to be a factor. That doesn't mean that the dirtiest of lyricists doesn't deserve respect for their skills, but overall respect for an artist includes more than just their performance, on stage or in the studio. YEah
April 14, 2004 11:19PM
word.
April 15, 2004 12:54AM
My culture? Who's culture?
I an I an I an I an I an I an I.........
not
My an My an My an My..........
Seen
April 17, 2004 12:09PM
"Until the color of a man skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes.... there will be War... and rumours of War..." Jah say so...

+ look ina Jah Bible and you wont see no talk bout' Black or White... isn'it ? You might just see some references to Kush or Kushites.

BUT I totally agree with the vexation caused by false "yardies" that tend to become mediators between the european countries masses and "yard"... they take the style (or what they can reproduce) and tend to bring in the people into some silly slack - rude - senseless attitudes, arguments & way of moving...

But as far as I know... "Jah never give a man more him can bear..." so that must be part of Jah Plan too... because the fight for Iquality & Justice can only be an Universal & Militant struggle, there must be some people of the four corners of the Earth that come to bring the musical & spiritual blessings to the people.
So as non-african being involved in Reggae, there is a mission and a responsability in not fooling the people (like for africans too you might say) and giving dem a full overstanding of what's really going on... and try to raise his own originality by avoiding mass yardie symbols reproduction.

It should be so... and that would help a full recognition of the Jamaican cultures. In my opinion...
There probably not be any reggae, or much of any, in Vibe if it wasn't for Rob Kenner. If you have read any of his stuff, you realize he knows the music. He paid lots of dues, as did Bobby Konders. Bobby has also worked with many up and coming artists and given them an outlet for their music. I see your point, as you are critical of the fact that we see white faces representing black music. You are right in some ways, however, just because a white person is in that position doesn't mean they don't deserve it. While this may be true in many cases, each one must be judged individually and not as a stereotype. Rob was one of the founding editors at Vibe and created one of the first regular reggae columns -ever- in a big distro magazine. Bobby played in tiny clubs for years, getting dissed by all, until he finally brought reggae to a hip hop station. These are reggae soldiers on your side of the war, who have helped big up the culture, so recognize who the real enemy is and deal with them - instead of running down some of the few white folks who actually 'get it' spiritually. There's plenty of space in the world for everyone to do their own thing without putting others down. Jah guide.......
Pale Ryder
May 10, 2004 06:41PM
To all that diss white folks for digging reggae or being involved in it. Big thanks to those that buy and support reggae music in the past, present, and the future. Thankyou for keeping it alive, and supporting nuff artist's lifestyles......
The Gooch
May 11, 2004 12:27AM
Until the Philosophies that hold one race superior and another inferior
are finally and permently discredited and abandoned.......

Those who have ears let them hear..

So let me get this straight Bryant Gumble can rock the King's Music, but Rocker T needs to put down the mic? Overstand the foolishness of assuming anything about a person made in the image of the Hola Irator, based on the tone of there flesh. Nuff man bun out the carnal mind. Judgement based on the appearence of flesh is foolishness. The corporate takeover of music and all things for that matter is of Babylon, not of the White of the Red or the Blackman. Sizzla wrote a song with Ninjaman called "Who's Laughing Now" when I read many of the post on this thread thaey make I feel like Screwface is laughing at the ism's and schism's. I do not attack your opinion simply out of emotion. I attack it with Jah Reason and his very words spoken at the opening of this post.
May 11, 2004 02:15AM
Justice is a must, and there will be no peace until we've got equal rights and justice prevailing over JAH earth.
Irie I, bredren the I has a good point, it is not right for there to be white men representing JA nor reaping the benefits of reggae music. But coming with a title like "WhiteMan/ woman put down my Culture Down and take one STEP BACK..." is only going to attract a black vs white vibration... why? This is a message board for a place where there are ones of all colors and standing for something much more than that.
Ones also must recognize that "until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes.." is Bob Marley's tune from HIS MAJESTY's War speech.. yes the words of RasTafarI.

Blessed Love
May 11, 2004 02:49AM
Wow, this thread is still going?
I agree basically, sismeneni. Again, the point of this arguement wasn't that white people can't participate in reggae, only that most Jamaicans don't want to see whites (or foreigners in general, I guess) be the exclusive representatives of their culture.
August 12, 2004 06:43PM
LOOK I REALY DONT KNOW HOW TO SAY IT BUT I GUES THAT EVERY BADDY IS QUAL.......W CAN DO WHAT EVER WE WANT TO DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAK OUR OWN DESSISION
August 12, 2004 07:25PM
On the original post:

"And ohh how can I forget VIBE magazine representative of the YARD way of LIFE..A portly WHITE MAN named ROB KENNER. This @#$%& look like he really know what yard life is. Jamaica has more than what you would called educated writers in the field to more than pacify VIBE which I find strangely enough was founded by a black man but gives the white mans voice to represent the Caribbean.. is up with that ROB KENNER is the VOIVE million of people read as what going on in JAMAICA? I don’t see Jamcians writign for and GRUNGE or ACID ROCK or any other form of MUISC so why the **** is the white man REPPING our way of life? You can check any reggae label in NY or any other city and see who you deal wid when walk inn dem office you always get a white guy as the go between ."

I don't know Rob Kenner, nor do I know how Vibe operates. But I know if a magazine wants a big story they are more likely to hire someone whom they know will deliver an article that magazine can use and deliver it on time. Rather than somebody they've never worked with and have no concrete information about their professionalism/style etc. And I don't think Vibe gets many submission from writers 'a yard'. It would be truly wonderful to have JA writers covering JA music, Trini writers covering Trini music ans so on, but unfortunately I don't think it's practically possible for a print mag to have a comprehensive enough roster of contributors so that every corner of the world can be covered by a local writer. The editor is much more likely to let one of the regular writers he knows do a story than take the risk with finding a writer he doesn't know to do a one-off special (as Vibe is not just reggae mag, they prolly don't have a JA reporters post on their payroll). It's not always a matter of evil conspiracy, sometimes it's the matter of what's practical and doable.

One love,

Rootz
Not long for this world.
August 12, 2004 07:45PM
Moqtada al-Sadr

In Iraq right now as you debate whether white people should listen to reggae and wear dreadlocks, people darker than white are being crushed by the most powerful military the world has ever seen, for their futile resistance to the U.S. goal to control their country, their lives, their resources and their self governance.
August 12, 2004 07:50PM
Sean Paul = light skin.
Ras-Mosis
August 12, 2004 11:00PM

Instead of chatting about all these things,why don't we all find out what

we can do as individuals to help change the situations that bother us. It's

great to talk and have discussions, but what about actively doing something.

Actions speak louder than words, no doubt.
August 12, 2004 11:31PM
"Instead of chatting about all these things,why don't we all find out what we can do as individuals to help change the situations that bother us."

Are the two mutually exclusive? You're not going to find much action on a _discussion_ forum, are you?

One love,

Rootz
solid rock
one STEP...
August 12, 2004 11:33PM

Chris Blackwell to be given high disctinction: Order of Jamaica

[www.jamaicaobserver.com]
Papa Dangling Bollards
STEP BACK...
August 13, 2004 12:20AM
How do you think the JA roots reggae artist would do if whiteman didnt buy records or show at gigs. Stay at yard.
sillysquirt
August 13, 2004 07:17PM
Look!!! An old thread from the good old days! Where are those guys anyways? I didn't know we could dig up old bones. Are we allowed to do that? heehee just kidding. Before you know it we'll start seeing 'is being rasta like having a labotomy' and other over discussed threads coming back from the dead.
August 13, 2004 08:10PM
it is only on the "other board" that is it considered boorish and uncouth to bring up an old thread. the official rule is: if there are 3 ahead then the thread is dead.
August 13, 2004 08:16PM
I for one hate the bubble factor, it's like sitting in conversation with someone who keeps bringing up things you are done talking about, and you can't bitch slap your fellow boarders that persist in doing it.
August 13, 2004 08:18PM
But sometimes it's also difficult to keep up with threads from three days ago which still refuse to ddie, as they are 3-4 pages away...

One love,

Rootz
August 13, 2004 08:21PM
bufo bufo if you were "white rasta" you would be able to bitch slap at any time.
August 13, 2004 08:22PM
well yyyou lllet them ddie then. if they are really important, like kizo for example, then people will find them.
ch ch ch cheers rrrootz.
August 13, 2004 08:26PM
Rrrriight. I wouldn't mind bubbling myself. How does the B. Levy lyric go?

"It is only bubbling...
? ? ? "

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
August 13, 2004 09:39PM
we a bubble up, just like a seven up or something like that?

we bubbling bubbling bubbling
bubbling to rastafari...

one love
jah bubble
August 13, 2004 10:06PM
I was thinking of "Dances Are Changing", JB.

"It's straaaannge, how the dances are changinnnn',
But it's only bubbliiiinngg, ?? young girls ??"

One love,

Rootz
jbwelda
August 13, 2004 10:19PM
that the young girls have plenty of.
seen.

one love
jah bill
August 13, 2004 10:31PM
Thnx. Seen.

One love,

Rootz
August 13, 2004 10:44PM
I think it is a Pinchers version where he says cocaine instead of bubbling. rewind!
August 13, 2004 10:55PM
Anybody know any website which would have descriptions/pics/vids of the dances mentioned in that song? I have no idea what is behind those names of dances... Except for "like a plane flying with one wing". And what does he sing right after "coral me wan yuh fi skank with me..."?

One love,

Rootz
sillysquirt
August 13, 2004 11:02PM
RIP WhiteMan/ woman put down my Culture Down and take one STEP BACK...
you have now officially been posted to death. smiling smiley
August 13, 2004 11:15PM
On "the other side" we call it threadjacking... Can you help me with those lyrics, Silly? Or do you bubble or just squirt? winking smiley

One love,

Rootz
August 13, 2004 11:17PM
rootzilla - who ya talking about "like a plane with one wing". i was just listening to that wednesday night/morning whilst watching the meteor shower.
August 13, 2004 11:26PM
"who ya talking about "like a plane with one wing"."

What do you mean? As far as I can discern (I'm not really good at hearing lyrics on JA songs) it goes:

"Stretch out you arms like a two plane wing,
your chest and your bum? oh my girl dem just a swing,
like a plane a flying with one wing,
It's straaaannge..."

But what does he sing after "coral me wan yuh fi skank with me..."?

One love,

Rootz
August 13, 2004 11:37PM
sorry rootz not very clear was i? who sings it? so i went to allllll the trouble to read back on the thread and see it is b levy. regarding lyrics - i'll listen again when i am off work (24 minutes) and report back to you.
August 13, 2004 11:38PM
Aiiight.

One love,

Rootz
sillysquirt
August 13, 2004 11:39PM
Is that two questions or three? I think you might be asking the wrong question for THIS board.
PS you'll have to define bubble, I could take it like 10 different ways.
August 13, 2004 11:41PM
since it appears zoki is indisposed i will respond to that - "take it 10 different ways". you are truly a unique woman silly squirt.
August 13, 2004 11:47PM
It was mainly one question and just some 'small talk' which you don't nbeed to take that seriously. The main question was "Can you help me with those lyrics, Silly?". But now you got me curious: what are your 10 definitions for bubbling?

One love,

Rootz
August 14, 2004 12:00AM
That's more than 10 different ways, Zoki.

One love,

Rootz
sillysquirt
August 14, 2004 01:05AM
Yes what are you trying to do? Get us kicked off? Bad bad zoki for writing down a bunch of numbers. Is that European or North American or African or Antartican? winking smiley
August 14, 2004 03:21PM
You're right. Probably wouldn't.

One love,

Rootz
sillysquirt
August 14, 2004 11:12PM
Those two could live in their la la lands together. Where do you guys find this stuff?
Bufo Bufo
August 15, 2004 12:15AM
zoki, you little fa , I outa k your mu fu a .

Post Edited (08-14-04 10:47)
First off, both of those two cats have been down on the NY reggae scene for over 10 years. Anyone who has been out and about has seen these guys. A lot of the Jamaicans in NYC did not have their **** together business wise, and that's part of the reason they had problems. If you don't agree this is true, then you don't know a thing about the reggae business in NYC.

Just because Bobby has a show, doesn't mean somebody with talent and a buzz coyuld not get their own show, on Hot 97, or on another competing station. Likewise, Vibe is not the only magazine covering reggae. They barely cover it at all anyway. These are two guys who love reggae and who have paid many dues. Reggae does not belong to anyone except Jah and you should not try and speak for him. They have both been booed and harassed many times just because they are white.

If you want to rise up, get your business together and stop pointing fingers at men who work hard for a living. It is much easier for a black Jamaican to be seen as a legitimate reggae writer of selector. Perhaps their whiteness did play a role in their success, but they both know their music and are certainly qualified. Your anger should be directed at those who really keep the black man down - George Bush, the DEA and the police, etc - not at two guys who love reggae just like you and have done nothing but big it up every chance they have gotten. If Rob didn't write about reggae for Vibe, perhaps nobody would. He was there at the beginning and pushed to have reggae covered and to get his 'Boomshots' column. Bobby has worked with many upcoming artists and helped them develop their careers. There is room for everyone.

One Love,

Ras J
FACT: Rob Kenner just got Sean Paul on the cover of Vibe, the first reggae artist EVER. Talk about promoting reggae music.
--------------------
SEAN'S GOT 'VIBE'

By TYRONE REID, Staff Reporter

PLATINUM-SELLING DEEJAY Sean Paul has got VIBE magazine 'covered' in unprecedented style. The deejay is the first reggae/dancehall artiste in the 10 year history of the magazine to grace its cover. The issue is expected to hit the streets on November 11.

Sean has now joined the ranks of Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur, P. Diddy, Jennifer Lopez, Jay-Z, Mary J. Blige, 50 Cent and a host of others who have had their faces plastered all over the 'face' of the magazine that has championed the cause of American urban music for a decade.

This is indeed a big accomplishment for the home-honed talent. Landing the cover of VIBE has no doubt 'lighted' up the 'dutty camp'. "This is a big honour for us and for the music and for what has been a spectacular year for Sean personally and the whole attention that is now directed at Jamaica and Jamaican music," said Sean's agent, Jerome Hamilton.

Hamilton continued: "We are very pleased to be given the honour of being on the cover of VIBE and not just being on the cover, it is quite a big spread, it is a big story in terms of number of pages. I think it is good for Jamaican music, specifically dancehall."

Hamilton, who is currently on a two-week European tour with the deejay, spoke to THE STAR from Paris, France via his mobile phone. The deejay was unavailable for comment because, Jerome said, he was probably taking a nap to garner enough strength so that he can 'get busy' on-stage in the next couple of hours. "(Sean is) somewhere hopefully getting some sleep because we drove over from London earlier today and we are going on-stage in two and a half hours," noted Jerome.

Happy moment

Rob Kenner, editor-at-large at VIBE, was the mastermind behind the piece in the December issue, and he is seemingly more excited about the deejay landing the coveted cover than the folks in Sean Paul's camp. "It is a very happy moment for me and a lot of people who have supported reggae music in the VIBE over the years," said Kenner in a satisfied tone.

Kenner said that Sean copping the cover page is not only historic for the deejay but it is also a bold statement from VIBE. While there is no denying the epic nature of the success on Sean's side of the fence, Kenner said that it also marks the fact that reggae music has definitely arrived. "It shows that Sean Paul and reggae have reached the point where they can stand beside any of the international rap or R&B stars that have appeared on the cover of VIBE."

Kenner, who is responsible for the bulk of the reggae copy in VIBE, told THE STAR that if he had his heart's desire this unprecedented feat would have been accomplished years ago. "There are many reggae artistes who I have written about over the years that I would have loved to see on the cover of VIBE but they were just not selling enough," noted Kenner with a little disappointment tingling in the back of his throat.

Shaggy vs. Sean

Talk about record sales. Shaggy sold in excess of 10 million copies worldwide, so why was he not on the cover? "I really tried to get Shaggy on the cover but it just never happened. We wrote about him, did big stories on him but he just never got the cover," Kenner explained.

In his estimation, Shaggy paved the way for Sean's success. Still, there are several reasons why Mr. 'Gimme the Light' got the nod over 'Mr. Boombastic'. Firstly, Shaggy was virtually a stand-alone during his breakout period, but right now dancehall music is really a force to be reckoned with. Also, he raised the point that Sean's album is more hardcore dancehall - 'straight from yard', whilst Shaggy's was more hybrid in nature.

Nonetheless, Jerome believes that Sean was able to land the cover spot because of the clout he now possesses. "They are going for Sean now because of the influence that Sean and his music has had on the America scene but not only on America... I think it is just representational of the whole really and Sean is the person which undoubtedly is at the forefront right now."

Kenner revealed that although not an intentional move, the December issue of the monthly magazine is unofficially a reggae issue. This, he says, because it contains a review of Elephant Man's album, Good To Go, an interview with Jimmy Cliff and a piece on the late Nicodemus. "It was not planned to be a reggae issue but it just turned out that way. That is just a sign that reggae has become very very popular around the world and people want to read about it," said Kenner.
September 22, 2004 09:07PM
Well, I'll give Kenner ratings for the Nicodemus piece...
Read it when it comes out and check the depth of knowledge. I just don't believe Rob is an expoliter - I think he is a positive force for reggae and a decent writer. I do understand the feeling that the original post was about though - don't get me wrong. I just think the anger is misdirected. That's what Babylon wants us to do - fight amongst ourselves instead of joining up to overthrow the whole system. I think Rob would be down with that....

"In 10 years time I would never try to tell you what will happen me bredrin. cause the future is not I and I to tell. I am not a fortune teller. But if Jah give I and I life I know what is to be must be, you know?" - Super Cat
September 23, 2004 09:07PM
I guess this would fit under this thread?

[www.sfgate.com]
September 27, 2004 11:14PM
Sean Paul tore it up at reggae on the river. best show of the summer. He had the whole crowd jumping to Deport dem". Best show of that summer 2003. SEEN
September 27, 2004 11:20PM
SP wasn't at ROTR 2k3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login