Richie Spice
Fiji
I-Wayne
Black I Am
And more...

[www.bayareavibez.com]
Re: Bay Area Vibez Music Festival - September 26 & 27 - Oakland
July 02, 2015 03:59AM
Another festival. Amazing. The lineup looks great for the seventh or eighth reggae fest of the summer.

Love that reggae!
July 02, 2015 06:53AM
Thanks for the heads up!
July 02, 2015 06:56AM
You are welcome. Tickets go on sale July 15.
July 02, 2015 05:46PM
Jr. Gong and Nas...?! would make sense if it were still 2010...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 02, 2015 05:56PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 05:59PM by Stamina!.
July 02, 2015 08:28PM
Highgrade, that album was epic. Were you able to see it live? I can't wait for them to play distant relatives again together. For real!!!
July 02, 2015 09:09PM
HiGrade1

The 2 put on one of the best stage shows ive seen in the last decade. Im sure this event will be rammed. I was more impressed by the performance then the actual album.
July 02, 2015 11:41PM
OH MY GOSH!! I saw this flyer last night when I couldn't sleep, SOO happy,been waiting for all of the above, specially Tarrus and Richie, and what a nice place its been held out. outside it looks like..

[www.portofoakland.com]
July 03, 2015 02:05AM
Papa, you are spot on!!! Epic live show. They killed it at OutsideLands Music Fest that year. I can't wait for this epic duo!!!
July 03, 2015 02:02PM
If whoever's putting this on is real that's some major ish for the Bay Area..... for hiphop and reggae esp. together. NICE!!!!!
Any knowledge on the promoter?!?
July 03, 2015 04:14PM
The distant relative show at the Fox several years back was pretty hot too. I still give that album play time, Nas one of my fave hip hop artists. Also, queen omega is hotta fya. I saw her perform at SNWMF, I believe her first time at Angels Camp, and it was soooo good. She is such A humble performer and artist. I do remember her getting a short set in Oakland, wayyyy to short, at the down low, before some hip hop dance party. I would love to see her again, plus all in all it's a solid lineup.
July 03, 2015 04:17PM

So, who would you think to be an appropriate headliner for such an event in these times....?
July 03, 2015 07:35PM
I personally have been waiting for Nas and Damian to do this show again. The album was dope, I heard the show was great. I for 1 say BOOK THIS ACT, PLEASE DROP ANOTHER ALBUM and PLEASE DONT CHARGE 2,500 for dub plates… lol
July 06, 2015 11:22PM
hopefully they perform some of their new material... I wonder when the new album will drop?
as for this festival Im not really impressed... Im assuming one day will be the catch a fire tour plus nas and everything else will be the other day?

Respect Same Way
July 07, 2015 03:53AM
Tahoe, this festival is 1000x better than the Lake Tahoe Festival lineup at least. Ha ha.
July 07, 2015 03:01PM
I'm down!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 07, 2015 05:54PM
no doubt Westa!
Ill be seeing the catch a fire tour on the 25th in sb so not sure if I will go to this one either... I guess just like the one in Tahoe, if I get a comp ticket Ill be there!

Respect Same Way
July 08, 2015 12:22AM
Free is an easy choice. All day!!!
July 11, 2015 05:49PM
westafari
Were you able to see it live?

oh yes, i got to see that tour at the fox in oakland! excellent show.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
August 14, 2015 04:08AM
If you want a discount use BASSHEAD
August 21, 2015 06:13AM
Aloe Blacc just add to Saturday. Oh yea!!!
August 21, 2015 06:19PM
great reggae acts, hip-hop, fishbone, then u throw in the number one electronic music seller Bassnectar. should be packked. nice musical blendI wonder how many people the venue can hold?
August 21, 2015 07:56PM
How many times can people [want to] see Jr. Gong?

For that matter, Skip Marley – that’s an appropriate name for all of ‘em.
August 22, 2015 06:18PM
Reggaefan....After multiple Stephen Marley performances and all the other Marleys. Ican't wait to get back to Damian Marley and some original music....They should just put on a hologram Bob show to play all his songs just like him....Damian is one of my top 5 acts. He mostly has original beats and his own sound...He should almost have his own name to set him apart from the rest and his music stands on its own, without living off the name. .All the roots, all the same classic riddims....I haven't caught Damian in a while.
August 22, 2015 06:18PM
..but i do agree it seems every fest comes with a Marley now.
August 25, 2015 02:21AM
reggaefan
How many times can people [want to] see Jr. Gong?

For that matter, Skip Marley – that’s an appropriate name for all of ‘em.

I'm dying!!! Hahahahahagrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

BTW...why is his name Marley? His mother is the Marley not his Father

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 02:24AM by yellowberry.
August 25, 2015 02:41AM
Bob Marley is Damian's biological father. Tom Finston is his stepfather and the guy who raised him.
August 25, 2015 03:08AM
westafari
Bob Marley is Damian's biological father. Tom Finston is his stepfather and the guy who raised him.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific...I was referring to Skip Marley (Minto)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 03:13AM by yellowberry.
August 25, 2015 04:06AM
Got it. Ha ha. I still have no idea who Skip Marley is. Lol.
August 25, 2015 05:55AM
skip is bobs grandson as is jo mersa

Respect Same Way
August 25, 2015 06:25AM
Skip is the son of Cedella Marley.
August 25, 2015 02:49PM
I'm geared up for Nas, Richie Spice and I Wayne.
August 25, 2015 03:55PM
I for one love both Damian and Stephen Marley's music! I would never skip one of their shows. Damian is one of my top 5 artists to see live!
August 25, 2015 04:33PM
westafari
Got it. Ha ha. I still have no idea who Skip Marley is. Lol.

LOL!!! That's why I was laughing so much at Reggafan's comment grinning smiley

"For that matter, Skip Marley – that’s an appropriate name for all of ‘em."
August 25, 2015 08:13PM
Ok...I'm confused.....How can Skip be the grandson of Bob, and Skip be the son of Cedella...Isn't Bob the son of Cedella?.......So that makes Skip the brother of BOb and the grandson of BOb?????? and why is he mentioned at most passing-of-the-joint circles?......Shame and scandal in the family.......Could someone draw up a famiy tree. because the Marley tree is the most interesting. Child of Bunny, Rita, Bob, or Peter......they changed seeds more than GAME of THRONES
August 25, 2015 08:46PM
randomguy2u
Ok...I'm confused.....How can Skip be the grandson of Bob, and Skip be the son of Cedella...Isn't Bob the son of Cedella?.......So that makes Skip the brother of BOb and the grandson of BOb?????? and why is he mentioned at most passing-of-the-joint circles?......Shame and scandal in the family.......Could someone draw up a famiy tree. because the Marley tree is the most interesting. Child of Bunny, Rita, Bob, or Peter......they changed seeds more than GAME of THRONES

Bob and Rita Marley's eldest daughter is named after Bob's mother, Cedella. So both his daughter and mother share the same name. Skip is the son of Cedella (Bob's daughter) Marley, which would, in turn make him (Skip) the grandson of Bob and Rita Marley.

I also believe that most ppl refer to Bob's Mom as Cedella Booker...and to complicate things even further, Bob's mom and Bunny's dad had a daughter together..lol

Ok, did that make sense??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2015 08:48PM by yellowberry.
August 25, 2015 09:07PM
Who's the son of Rita and Bunny?.....What's on second?
August 26, 2015 05:17AM
If want discount code for Saturday use REGGAEVIBEZ

If want discount code for whole weekend use BASSHEAD
August 26, 2015 11:19AM
rita n cidella
September 03, 2015 10:58PM
26 Dollars per day to park your car? gesh
September 04, 2015 11:57PM
Actually, I read $29. I'm surprised the have parking at all because of where it is located. I'm interested in seeing how this whole Bart shuttle works out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2015 12:01AM by westafari.
September 05, 2015 05:48PM
Glad I live in Berkeley. I'll be biking there!
September 05, 2015 05:50PM
So,.....if Damian Marley is Saturday....Nas is Sunday..... Iguess that means they won't be playing together?
September 08, 2015 09:06PM
I guess Hubby and I will come on our motorbike but cannot bring chairs.. arg.
September 09, 2015 11:46PM
Super Cat added to the bill. Damn.

September 9, 2015. Oakland, CA – Reggae/Dancehall legend Super Cat has been confirmed for the inaugural Bay Area Vibez Festival lineup. Bay Area Vibez Music and Arts Festival will be held at Middle Harbor Shoreline Park on September 26 and 27 in Oakland, CA.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
September 11, 2015 04:27PM
Whaa.....SUpercat tops my always-wanted-to-see list
September 11, 2015 06:24PM
Super Cat is playing on that Saturday per the promoter. Hells yea!!!
September 12, 2015 04:47AM
I know her name is not up there in the 'headliners' but I for 1 (of many, I should think) am very happy to see Queen Omega!
September 22, 2015 05:28PM
Does any one have any info on set times or further details than what is listed on the festival website? Thanks!
September 22, 2015 06:13PM
I asked for the line up by day with times 3x already, they better get with it!! a bit lagging!!
September 23, 2015 09:12PM
[www.facebook.com]
here's the schedule, overall Im excited for Sat. but must say Im pretty disappointed with di likkle bit a time Queen Omega gets
September 26, 2015 02:04AM
Tomorrow it is. See you all there.

-Westafari
September 27, 2015 05:38AM
Wow this was a great start to the 1st event - I hope many more to come. The location was perfect, amazing PA system, a really great and diverse crowd. Everyone was really into it - I got a different vibe to every other festival I've been to this year. It was a truly great atmosphere. The schedule was a bit messed up, but tbh I was only there to see Supercat!

The Don Dadda was supposed to be on at 5:45pm but came on after 7. Morgan Heritage played a great set as usual. Well the time came, the crowd was excited, smoke filled the air, and Supercat came on and gave a great performance. I did wonder if he was drunk or maybe nervous - maybe it's just me lol. Anyway, he played his greats and sounded just like I remember from way back. Really enjoyed myself!

The place was pretty packed and more people were coming as I left. I'm pleased it's been a great success, especially after the last festival that got cancelled! I'll definitely be going to this one every year!

Respect!
September 27, 2015 05:00PM
Amaaaaaaaaaaazing location. Superdope vibes. Full report later
September 28, 2015 12:21AM
Nice to hear!!!!!!!!
Ras Gudka.....
Artists who like certain thing come to Oakland like Katt WIlliams and get stuck with a loss for words.
That must be hard if words are the bread and butter of your performance.
Good to hear the acts came off well sameway.
Oakland no joke.
Patiently awaiting full report.
September 28, 2015 03:41PM
Review:

NO SHOWS: Queen Omega, Richie Spice (if I had known I could have spared me the funds I used to drive there yesterday) Not into Rap, hip hop nor Electronica. They should have Reggae on one day and all the other crap the next day!

Parking cost per day $25.00 and you have to walk very far, or pay $45.00 for VIP parking! I really wonder how they can make you pay money on a public street?!
Food Vendors: too pricey and not enough options, no Jamaican food, Chicken or Lamb kebab $16.00 for example.
Bathrooms and other Vendors: too faraway and separated.
View and Venue: GREAT!
Sound System: too loud but great.
September 28, 2015 06:17PM
So then is MORGAN HERITAGE or I-WAYNE playing anywhere else in the BAY???
Or SUPERCAT for that matter?
You would think someone would lock that down...
September 28, 2015 08:07PM
I only attended Saturday but was extremely impressed. Public Transportation was a breeze from SF (BART shuttle was very easy). Sound system was great. Good crowd turn-out as it was not overly packed but well attended. Lots of different types of fans but everyone seemed to be in a great mood and enjoying themselves. The line-up schedule was a mystery to everyone as there were no materials available but it didn't seem to matter. Aloe Black was a real surprise. Tarrus and Black Slate (who I am told could not make it to the venue on time due to travel complications hence the line-up shuffle) were terrific as always, although it was a shorter set than I'd hoped. Morgan Heritage was solid. Supercat was, for me, just awesome. So much fun. And the Marley's delivered a real headline performance. That one day line-up stacks up against almost any. Despite running a little behind schedule, everything moved along smoothly. The beer sales were sectioned off and very limited in selection (as were the food options), but the stage was still visible from the beer section such that it was no big deal to be penned-up in there, and all things considered, this strategy may keep things from getting too sloppy. Plenty of porta-potties. I could have used a shade structure and better food/drink options, but overall I have nothing but good things to say.

Thank you to organizers and I very much hope Bay Area Vibez comes back in 2016.
September 29, 2015 06:16PM
...okay just found out this was the tour they were just on...
September 29, 2015 09:20PM
Extremely well-run festival, great vibes, beautiful location!

Got there around 1:45pm Saturday, so missed Queen Omega and I-wayne. Caught Fishbone as I was eating lunch...great energy as always!! I probably had not seen them perform live in over 15 years, and it's nice to see they are still around and relevant. The Grouch and Eligh were lots of fun, dope beats and nice rhymes. Tarrus had his usual conscious energy in high gear, as did Morgan Heritage later on. Aloe Blacc with the sankofa sound were really nice...kinda neo-soul, kinda funky (never heard of them before but def will check them out now). Cut chemist spun some nice tracks that got the crowd moving and shaking. Super Cat was off the hook good! As my Queen and I watched an incredible sunset over the bay, we were dancing to Super Cat!! Both Stephen Marley and Damian Marley brought quality sets...we bailed before Jr. Gong was done.

All in all, really nice festival. Set times were a bit off, but that's the nature of putting on these shows. Sun was hot at points, so a few more shade structures coulda helped. Even though there was a fenced in beer garden, I saw nuff people walking around with beers. Same with camping chairs you were not supposed to have??

Looking fwd to 2016 bay area vibez!!
September 29, 2015 09:51PM
Here in the Bay Area cheap food and easy parking are not something we are familiar with. Bay area residents know to park at a safely lit station (like ashby) and roll with a burrito from your favorite truck if your on the cheap and the event is anywhere close to transport. Try parking at Hardly Strickly this weekend and adjust your expectations.

Bummed to have missed Cat and Aloe Blacc (He is phenomenal talent on my list to catch) I was actually very skeptical of Cats performance. Was in SoCal and had I had any noticed would have gone to see him in Santa Barbara. My sons would have been able to check that off their bucket list (lol).

IMO this is the way festivals should be, diverse selection of music for the masses. This one was spot on for the Bay Area and sounds like it was a success. That is great. As much as I dont care for the Marley parade it has the best line up of any festival i have seen lately. Bassnecter is also not my cup of tea but I also dont spend thousands of dollars of disposable income on music events anymore like the 20 somethings they are targeting. Haters gonna hate as they say...
September 29, 2015 11:00PM
We went Saturday and overall had a nice time, though would have shown up later and not stressed out bout being late, had I know Queen Omega didnt make it (heard it was due to visa, just hearsay but from a source that should know). Alo Blacc was great, just getting to know his music and have been impressed for the most part. Tarrus and Black Soil (not Slate, that is a UK band) were not late, they were there but Dean Fraser had them moved to big stage, where he should have been to begin with. Wondering if anyone else witnessed Peter Morgan throwing (literally) his mic stand to the side of the stage, and then needing it back a couple minutes later? It was a total turn off for me, cant take the puffed up arrogance and had no interest in their set after that. Super Cat and the Marley's were good though too many Bob covers for me personally. Parking was a bit steep and quite a walk, I guess there were shuttles but nobody said anything about it when we paid n parked. More food choices would have been nice. Biggest complaint would be the totally lack of communication as to what was going on with lineup and changes to artists n timing, there was a bit of disconnect and no MC for alot of it, but all n all it was pretty great for the first year and I hope it continues n grows!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2015 09:49PM by Haile Bless.
October 01, 2015 06:32PM
Does anyone know if I-Wayne actually performed on Saturday?
October 01, 2015 07:26PM
Can't say for sure if he performed, but I know he was there. Someone posted a pic with him.
October 02, 2015 01:43AM
JosephDaniel
Does anyone know if I-Wayne actually performed on Saturday?

I saw him perform on the small stage on Sunday afternoon. He put on a good show and voice sounded nice.
October 02, 2015 07:58AM
That must of been a real bummer Haile Bless.
October 02, 2015 06:01PM
I was bummed not to see Queen Omega, but overall it was a good time still. What is a real bummer though, is if they are really giving her that much trouble to come though (I need to call her and see if this is true, but it has happened already) Of all people/artistes she should not have these barriers in her way, she is a truly conscious, upright, positive, loving womban (with a youth to feed) she is not spreading hate or negative messages and while she does burn some fire it is not extreme.... a true queen!
October 02, 2015 07:18PM
I-Wayne played Sunday??? Whaaaa??? He was advertised to play on Saturday, right?!?
Now I feel kinda bummed out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 08:45PM by JosephDaniel.
October 16, 2015 06:50PM
Very nice, honest review Haile Bless.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login