Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Play anything BUT reggae!"

Posted by AztecRasta 
"Play anything BUT reggae!"
July 15, 2015 07:09PM
I am so synthized and one with reggae that girlfriends and friends now literally hate reggae lol

Anyone go through this? Folks will put up with it as an introduction but then move into the "please play anything but reggae" phase lol

People love the line "I dont know what they are saying" which may be true but usually its a sign of close-mindedness as most popular music like hip hop needs to be deciphered. The music speaks for itself and talent has no language.

Then you gotta love the people that literally melt if they hear reggae, its like pouring water on a witch, the faces they make when they hear it lol they get so uncomfortable probibly because it doesnt fit into their classic boxes of pleasant sounds.
AJ
Re: "Play anything BUT reggae!"
July 15, 2015 08:01PM
Can't force it on people. You either like reggae or not.
I sometimes get the same reaction when I play my "ABBA" cd. confused smiley
July 15, 2015 09:07PM
to me - the vocals are just another instrument.
if i can understand the lyrics, so much the better.
July 15, 2015 09:23PM
Post a link to a good Abba song, wanna check em out
July 15, 2015 09:47PM
Yes I know what you mean! I still believe there is a certain era or style of reggae for everyone so it's impossible for somebody to say they hate all reggae...I would say "but you haven't heard the good stuff". It seems like the more I would push it the more they would hate it and argue with me. I still do not believe anybody can hate reggae I know in the right setting when the right tune with the right lyrics about love or whatever plays....you can not like it or feel somthing! Right? It's universal! But now I try to tell myself if i meet a girl or a new friend not play reggae or get excited and talk about upcoming live shows or anything. I've learned my lesson. I've lost friends or girls before I know it. I stopped posting reggae videos on Facebook as well. It is exciting to meet a girl or a friend who has a interest in reggae then I'll catch myself reverting to my old ways smiling smiley. Sometimes now I'll just slip it in like its a total random or accidental chance this bad tune just happens to be playing on the radio while we are having coffee in the morning or somthing....I don't say anything...9/10 times they will say somthing about it later!

I know what you mean
July 15, 2015 09:54PM
On another note...
I have changed people's lives and attitudes by introducing them to reggae or taking them to their first reggae concert...years later they would tell me how reggae has changed them. That would make me feel good.
I had a good friend who listened to horrible negative music and was kind of a punk...after I turned him on to reggae he was a different person with a different outlook on life...I'd say I've had more positive feedback than negative feedback...but the negative feedback still I will never ever accept or understand...
July 15, 2015 10:43PM
because there is a certain spirit that accompanies the music.. either you understand and can discern that spirit or you cant..

this is a music where you find people sitting, tired at a bus stop in flatbush.. when a capleton song blares from a neighboring music store, everyone at the bus stop immediatly jump up and start dancing..
July 15, 2015 11:18PM
For the most part I have a different experience on a daily basis. I have a health care clinic and play reggae a solid 80% of the time. I have only had 1 patient in 10 years say they "don't like reggae".....She followed it with "I hate Bob Marley". Even people that never listen to reggae at least "don't mind it" here at my clinic, but mostly people love it. I'm constantly answering questions about who this or that artist is. The best one tho was a female patient in her late 80's that came up to the time front desk and said "I don't know what these people are saying but I sure like the beat".
July 16, 2015 12:06AM
If you can't handle listening to reggae, we are not friends.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 16, 2015 05:30AM
Yes, you may be hanging out with the wrong crowd.
July 16, 2015 03:09PM
Great topic, I love reggae but I really don't like prob around 80% of it, that percentage is pretty consistant with most art work for me. 10% is good and 10% is why I love the music. As a selector it is my responsibility to find the 10% that is gold and enjoy, celebrate and share it with people. There is a lot of BAD reggae out there and it turns people off very easy. And to BIGVEINs point, YES, you either get it or you don't at a spiritual level, I think the people on this forum get it and can relate to it. The rasta message and vibes are soo crucial in these times for us living under Babylonian persecution everyday but most cant relate because they are on the Babylon hamster wheel and have their blinders on. Dancehall music seems to be a little more tolerated by the youth because of the bass and the fact that it is easier to dance to in general, it has opened some people up to Jamaician music in general. I like that pop culture is not into this scene completely, let Starbucks sell Bob Marley Legend CD's at the register, LOL
July 16, 2015 03:18PM
I took my buddy that said he loved reggae to a show and about 10 minutes in he wanted to leave and started nagging, we eventually left half way through but it taught me that sometimes taking a friend to a show isnt a good idea, since then I have hit a few shows on my own and just plan on meeting friends that I already know who will probably show up.
July 16, 2015 03:41PM
Great thread Aztec Rasta! I struggle with the same thing, I have my reggae friends but my lady and a lot of other friends do not get the reggae thing. I only listen to 75% Midnite and 25% roots reggae music. I notice that my friends and family get burned out quickly on the music I love, I cannot get enough of it. I have a new job and a 25 minute commute each way to work and it is my favorite part of my day as I put on a new album light up my mary jane and roll to work feeling full of positive energy!

LOVE THAT REGGAE
July 16, 2015 03:53PM

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
July 16, 2015 04:40PM
Nagging and turning the music down can not be tolerated. cool smiley
What music are you subjecting your friends and loved ones to ...?
July 16, 2015 05:07PM
yea it hurts when some one you like disses reggae but hey like you said, I have shared it with plenty of people for every dozen that dont get it, one person is changed forever.
July 16, 2015 05:49PM
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
AJ
July 16, 2015 06:18PM
AztecRasta
Post a link to a good Abba song, wanna check em out

Yes.....ABBA is the 70's pop group from Sweden. Even though I like ABBA, my friends for the most part do not. I was only using it as an example of personal choices of music. After spending six months in Europe in 1976....you couldn't help but hearing them almost everyday. So ABBA takes me back to all those good memories....kind of like a time capsule.

That being said....I too listened to only reggae for years & years and had plenty of friends who would say "enough already....I can't take any more reggae". So I have also been there. It got to the point where I would travel to friends' homes & parties with reggae records and cassettes, just to be sure I could hear my beloved reggae. Well is did not always work.
Now I listen to more than just reggae.....so all is good. winking smiley

p.s. If you really want to check out ABBA go to "YouTube"
July 16, 2015 07:37PM
Ras Danny

Ras Danny, I find that most interesting!
July 16, 2015 08:15PM
I used to listen to reggae 24/7, for many years, and turned a lot of people onto the music. I listen to all kinds of music now. My identity as a person is not defined by a genre of music. "I won't be put in a box for you..."

I agree with BV and Blaze, if there's one thing that unites people in this forum it's the spirit of the music.
July 17, 2015 12:07AM
I like music that goes Beep, Beep, ...and...there's something so soothing about the WHOMP, WhOMP...noise.
July 17, 2015 04:54AM
randomguy2u
I like music that goes Beep, Beep, ...and...there's something so soothing about the WHOMP, WhOMP...noise.

Dubstep is neither dub nor step. Discuss amongst yourselves.
July 17, 2015 07:10PM
some people are just into the music to rebel against mommy and daddy .. a way to be different..

they are not into the music because the riddim hits their soul.. they are not into the music cause they feel and recognize the angelic message.

to most its just a weed and rebel thing.. not a spiritual thing..
July 17, 2015 07:15PM
bigvein
to most some its just a weed and rebel thing.. not a spiritual thing..

I fixed that for you BV.
July 17, 2015 07:32PM
have you ever been to a west indian party? where the whole night they are playing that fast paced soca, zouk, etc etc?

probably not.. but i can tell you this... the best part of the night, and everyone will agree, is at 2a-3a when the soca and zouk dj goes home, and the reggae
dj takes over... especially when those slow THICK basslines get run.. 20 gyal to 1 man in the place.. an NUFF them red, well nice and nuff of them looking
to hold up and squeeze up..

thats vibes for days an days..

all these cali and oregano boys whining and crying about a culture that is not theirs.. but come to a ghetto people dance, and you will understand.. thats if you are brave enough..

this is not a thing where you sit around playing with johnny and billy.. sharing a next man spliff.. whining about why a next man doesnt feed you or provide you water.. this is a thing where you come inna dance at 1am, vibes nice, and the party just rocking..
July 17, 2015 10:24PM
music is a full body experience for sure

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2015 01:56AM by AztecRasta.
July 17, 2015 11:51PM
AztecRasta
Zim Zimma Who Stole the Key to the Beeeema

dudes put girls in figure 4 wrestling moves and dive off ladders onto that rump for that dancehall haha

I saw one where a guy was walking on girls backs riding them like a horse chariot, the finishing move was ripping off the weaves

music is a full body experience for sure

big people party vs foolishness.. please understand the difference..
July 18, 2015 01:59AM
Yea I hear ya, reggae has so many genres each with their own style

Here is a party in the V.I. that I that I totally wish I was at, we need these stateside:

July 20, 2015 05:09PM
AztecRasta

Here is a party in the V.I. that I that I totally wish I was at, we need these stateside:

yes.. that session real nice although not typical of the many vi parties ive been to.
some facts and history.. i think houston has the largest vi population out of all the 48. the story goes that
before mexican labor was in plentiful supply the various plant companies went to the west indies to fill open positions.
so many families left the various islands and came to houston... which is why you have many trini's, lucians, belizians, and cruizians in this area.

big up the flex each and every time..
July 27, 2015 11:11PM
AztecRasta

Aztec Rasta! IGrade doing big big big things! They have been running those sessions for awhile now! Hopefully soon we can get Igrade here as DJ one night in boomville!
July 28, 2015 06:13AM
there are so many blend of music......have to find the right crossover blend that appeals to that individual.....there;s reggae-hiphop, reggae-electronic, reggae-jazz, reggae-gospel,afro-beat reggae, reggaeton, reggae-calypso, cumbia, ska reggae, thus reggae-punk people say,,....I haven't ran into reggae-heavy metal but u can listen to "leave us alone: by gentleman......
July 28, 2015 01:08PM
PULL UP, LOL
July 28, 2015 03:28PM
randomguy2u
there are so many blend of music......have to find the right crossover blend that appeals to that individual.....there;s reggae-hiphop, reggae-electronic, reggae-jazz, reggae-gospel,afro-beat reggae, reggaeton, reggae-calypso, cumbia, ska reggae, thus reggae-punk people say,,....I haven't ran into reggae-heavy metal but u can listen to "leave us alone: by gentleman......

Thats real, dancehall reggeton/calypso sounding choppy fast beats are not my thing, I guess DJ's go heavy with that stuff "because girls like it" ?? I personally couldnt be a DJ and focus on what another person or group likes, I would play only stuff I like lol I would play lots of roots reggae!
July 28, 2015 11:54PM
AztecRasta

Thats real, dancehall reggeton/calypso sounding choppy fast beats are not my thing, I guess DJ's go heavy with that stuff "because girls like it" ?? I personally couldnt be a DJ and focus on what another person or group likes, I would play only stuff I like lol I would play lots of roots reggae!

Ha ha, yeah being a selector or DJ under most circumstances is quite a challenge to say the least. You better have a thick skin and think you know whats always best for the audience, even if you don't, which is probably the case alot of the time..

I've had sound system since 1998 and when I started doing parties and events I found out this aint so much fun after all. No matter what you play likely 20% of the people don't like what your playing or prefer something else and let you know about it, and many are drunk and rude. Thats simply the personalized nature of music and almost everyone has somewhat different preferences on what they want to hear at that time.

Now I only do parties or events where I pretty much play tunes which I like and want to hear myself and only charge for the work involved in moving and setting up the equipment or do it all for free. And I make that clear upfront. I essentially just do it as a hobby to have fun and listen to music that I like on a big sound system.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login