Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ziggy Marley

Posted by Rossta 
Ziggy Marley
August 11, 2015 08:30PM
Just curious to see what you fellow boardies think of Ziggy Marley these days!? He is playing in Bend, OR tonight and it is a family friendly show that will start at 630 and go until 8-830. He was here a few summers ago and it was an amazing show, so cool to see the families come, Ziggy's kids on stage and the whole family vibe! Wouldn't it be fun to see him perform a show for families at SNWMF one day? Curious as to what others think!

LOVE IS MY RELIGION!
Re: Ziggy Marley
August 11, 2015 11:00PM
I saw him last year in NH when he was promoting his most recent album, sounded more like bad pop rock than anything else. When I saw him 10 years ago it was a much different, and in terms of my taste better show. If you get this Rossta, personally I'd save your money for someone else
August 11, 2015 11:31PM
The last 3-4 times that I saw Ziggy in Cleveland (going back 10-12 years) I was bored outta my mind !!!! Very weak newer material and Ziggy seemed to be on AUTOPILOT. Always a highlight to hear SANTA DAVIS on drums though!!!! Truly one of the greatest drummers of ALL TIME!!!! When Ziggy does his father's chunes he is pretty good but newer material from FLY RASTA was freakin' horrible!!! But if you like a lot of average rock sound thrown into the mix then you might like it ??? My advice - save your money for a REAL show!!!! Ziggy's best days were 20-30 years ago when Chinna was with him - he's been on autopilot for WAY too long for my tastes.
August 11, 2015 11:35PM
I went on Sunday here in Seattle at the Zoo. It was great but you got to know what you getting. I would much rather see him than stay at home....In terms of SN, no thanks.
August 11, 2015 11:57PM
Shows are very predictable. He sadly has fallen into the "reggae underachieving" category.
August 12, 2015 03:09AM
I've always respected Ziggy for getting out of the reggae box. No cliche reggae lyrics or hyped flag waving shows that you get from other Marley family members.
August 12, 2015 12:24PM
akee123
Shows are very predictable. He sadly has fallen into the "reggae underachieving" category.

well he is what ~50 years old? nothing really to prove.. plus, arent royalty checks cut this week ?

he is happy, has a loving family, has a 7-8 figure(US$) bank account... yeah.. i would pretty much "phone it in" given the same..

listen to the tune and you may understand why the marley brand continues to see black(positive cash flow, for the easily offended)

"so jah seh
not one of my seed
shall sit on the sidewalk
and beg bread"

August 12, 2015 02:54PM
Great show last night and I enjoyed myself tremendously! He only played Fly Rasta off his new album otherwise most tracks from his album Love is my Religion which is an album I love. Ziggy smile is amazing and his love and energy will always be special to me and he is one of my favorites always. He played two of his dads songs and the band in general sounded great. So grateful he came to Bend and I feel rejuvenated today as it was my first outdoors live show if the summer as I missed festivals this year! Favorite tune of the night "got to be true to myself"

REGGAE IN MY HEAD!
August 12, 2015 03:01PM
RasTantan
I saw him last year in NH when he was promoting his most recent album, sounded more like bad pop rock than anything else. When I saw him 10 years ago it was a much different, and in terms of my taste better show. If you get this Rossta, personally I'd save your money for someone else

Hey Ras Tantan, we do not get much reggae music in central Oregon so when they come I am there! The show was well worth the $30 and I would see him again this week if he was playing! He is no Vaughn Benjamin but I am always grateful for some reggae music in town at an outdoors venue! Midnite was supposed to play in Bend, OR on there 25th anniversary tour but the week before cancelled sadly as Im sure you know all about. Hoping for Akae Beka and Dezarie to come near us soon!
August 12, 2015 05:27PM
akee123

I am not a huge Ziggy fan as current live performances are a bit too "lounge reggae" for my taste but its def a stretch to say that 6 Grammy's is underachieving.
August 12, 2015 06:09PM
Today's thread full of shite is brought to you by the letter J. Remember, without J you can't have Jealousy or Judgement. So, thanks 'J' for making this all possible.
August 12, 2015 06:52PM
I guess nobody likes Ziggy Marley at all. Well I am a fan and really enjoyed last night and think that Ziggy would be awesome earlier in the day at SNWMF and can already see all the families and kids dancing and having fun! I say Ziggy Marley for SNWMF 2016!

Walter sorry if my thread is shite but I did like your J comment!
August 12, 2015 07:17PM
Ya there is more to musical life than hard core reggae. If Ziggy wanted to grind out a hard core reggae album he could hire whomever he wants to write and record it. The "Ghetto Youth" crew Damian Stephen and all live a life of privilege and still make some good music but in general the whole ghetto youths thing only is ghetto because of the inclusion of Wayne Marshall and the like.

Lets face it Ziggy did not live the life of suffering that his dad did, I could care less if I like his music or not, it is more important that he is "true" to himself. Is it bubblegum, sure maybe but it is all positive. Hundreds of thousands love it and that is more than alot of reggae artists can say.
August 12, 2015 07:29PM
i was JUST about to say the same.. the struggle just isnt in the 2nd generation of marleys and it reflects in their music and stage presence.

compare ziggy's rendition of 'concrete jungle'... notice the smiles and giddiness.

now watch the wailers version... these guys are still working out the kinks from sleeping on concrete pillows.. it shows in the mood of the music.. in their stage presence and in their projected energies.

papajoshua
Ya there is more to musical life than hard core reggae. If Ziggy wanted to grind out a hard core reggae album he could hire whomever he wants to write and record it. The "Ghetto Youth" crew Damian Stephen and all live a life of privilege and still make some good music but in general the whole ghetto youths thing only is ghetto because of the inclusion of Wayne Marshall and the like.

Lets face it Ziggy did not live the life of suffering that his dad did, I could care less if I like his music or not, it is more important that he is "true" to himself. Is it bubblegum, sure maybe but it is all positive. Hundreds of thousands love it and that is more than alot of reggae artists can say.
August 12, 2015 07:35PM
that said... damien and stephn, julian have all put out some TOUGH TOUGH cuts..
but when they try to convey some type of personal sufferation message, it just doesnt connect.
August 12, 2015 07:43PM
now this one connects..

August 12, 2015 08:19PM
papajoshua

thumbs up
August 12, 2015 08:33PM
Great posts, I agree with what was said by PapaJ 100%. Maybe I connect with Ziggy because of that but for me his energy is so full of love that it amazes me each and every time. I also appreciate and respect his family values. One thing about Bob is that his taste for multiple women really seemed to affect Ziggy and Rita's siblings from what I have read.
August 12, 2015 08:51PM
Just because Ziggy is a very nice guy and supportive of good causes, doesn't mean fans can't be critical. Considering what he could produce with his money and musical connections, he underachieves.

He clearly made a strategic business decision a while back to try and tap into a different music base of fans. I call it the "surfer with a guitar" sound. I think people like Ziggys image more than his music.

Now as far as The Melody Makers...excellent sound....miss them.
August 12, 2015 10:33PM
Ziggy does seemed to have changed his base of fans though agreed on that point. When is the last time he played at ROTR or SNWMF? Just curious.
August 12, 2015 11:37PM
i remember walking away as he came on stage, back when he played at reggae rising... not sure what year that was.... smoking smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
August 13, 2015 01:23AM
akee123
Now as far as The Melody Makers...excellent sound....miss them.

Agreed, but Stephen was a huge part of that sound. Man, I wonder why they don't bust a reunion, they are all still family and connected.

The Melody Makers for SNWMF 2016!
August 13, 2015 03:33AM
Thought I'd just leave this here...

Sorry, my personal experience with Ziggy was unpleasant, although not directly due to him. Ras Midas opened for Ziggy at CSUC, and I was in his band. His tour manager and staff behaved like arrogant, entitled thugs, ordering us to stay out of the auditorium building while Ziggy's crew set up, necessitating a 2-hour wait for us and our gear in the hot August Chico sun. When Midas (who was friends with Ziggy's dad) objected to this treatment, they threatened to use force on this Rasta elder, and any of us as well. They cut back our sound check time to next to nothing, and even tried to cut our set from 45 to 30 minutes (the contract said otherwise, so they couldn't get away with that). However, the band including Santa, Chris Meredith and the late great percussionist Sticky, were very friendly; several of them had recorded with Midas. I can't put the behavior of his staff directly on Ziggy; his management or label may have hired them. Still, it was not a good experience for us, and we never got a glimpse of Ziggy offstage for Midas or any of the rest of us to reason with him. His set was very good still (how could it not be with that set of musicians?), but the vibes got quenched for us early on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 03:35AM by Stamina!.
August 13, 2015 04:31AM
i appreciate your perspective on this herb, especially because i consider you a reliable source and an honest human being. too many folks want to give anyone remotely associated with the biggies (or sometimes just anyone) in the reggae biz a pass. or promote the misconception that everything was "irie".

you don't malign ziggy and you also clearly give him the benefit of the doubt; a most seriously respectful post and i credit you for it.

not a dweller in negativity, but i definitely want to be grounded in reality!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
August 13, 2015 04:36AM
Definitely don't have any Ziggy on my Itunes. I have massive respect for Bob but thats my response when I see a thread titled "Ziggy Marley" his music doesnt get my attention but maybe I got to check out more of his catalog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 04:48AM by AztecRasta.
August 13, 2015 02:31PM
Stamina!
Thought I'd just leave this here...

Sorry, my personal experience with Ziggy was unpleasant, although not directly due to him. Ras Midas opened for Ziggy at CSUC, and I was in his band. His tour manager and staff behaved like arrogant, entitled thugs, ordering us to stay out of the auditorium building while Ziggy's crew set up, necessitating a 2-hour wait for us and our gear in the hot August Chico sun. When Midas (who was friends with Ziggy's dad) objected to this treatment, they threatened to use force on this Rasta elder, and any of us as well. They cut back our sound check time to next to nothing, and even tried to cut our set from 45 to 30 minutes (the contract said otherwise, so they couldn't get away with that). However, the band including Santa, Chris Meredith and the late great percussionist Sticky, were very friendly; several of them had recorded with Midas. I can't put the behavior of his staff directly on Ziggy; his management or label may have hired them. Still, it was not a good experience for us, and we never got a glimpse of Ziggy offstage for Midas or any of the rest of us to reason with him. His set was very good still (how could it not be with that set of musicians?), but the vibes got quenched for us early on.
How is this your "personal experience with Ziggy" if you never met the man? Correct me if im wrong, but this is your personal experience with Ziggys manager and road crew, you have no personal experience with Ziggy.
August 13, 2015 02:38PM
Glad you enjoyed the show and the vibes Rossta. Music is an extremly subjective and personal experience. What resonates with some doesnt reasonate with others, and vice versa. If you like what you like, it makes you move your feet, puts a smile on your face and joy in your heart, then more power too you!! I have plenty of "guilty pleasures" that I listen to or will go see, Pato Banton is one of them. While not everyones cup of tea, and a bit corney to some, I still make it a point to see him once or twice a year. I like what I like smoking smiley
August 13, 2015 03:57PM
Well said Eastbay Herbalist! I enjoy Pato Banton live too and love his energy and positive spirit!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts about Ziggy and the Melody makers! I need to go research some of the Melody makers music.

Stamina, in regards to your post sometimes I feel maybe Ziggy or other artists have a tour manager who is a jerk or a tough individual because the artist needs someone who will be tough and strong in difficult situations for the artist. Either way I am sorry you did not have a good experience with his crew because it is a representation of Ziggy Marley and from the few times I have met him he seems like someone who would care if you were being treated poorly.

Big up to all! Happy Thursday! Amazing how rejuvenated I feel after seeing Ziggy and some live positive roots reggae music!
August 13, 2015 04:06PM
Here are a couple of my favorite ZM&MM 12" (though these are not the full versions):

Hand To Mouth

Head Top
August 13, 2015 04:11PM
As a kid I bought a Ziggy Marley cassette because of the name. I thought it was cool.
I couldn't even listen to that crap once.
Bar none the worst album I have ever purchased.
Luckily I discovered his father soon thereafter and realized that's what I was looking for.
I think I was about 8 or 9 years old.
August 13, 2015 04:15PM
Thanks Daniel! I know I have one Melody maker album, I want to say it is called Spirit of Music maybe???? Looks like Ziggy or Stephen is blowing out some ganga smoke on the cover. That album led me to love the whole Marley family. Need to bust that one back out! Id love to see a Melody maker reunion.
August 14, 2015 08:14PM
So I saw Ziggy Marley last night at the Mountain Winery. To be honest I was not looking forward to the show but got a free ticket so I said why not. As far reggae shows go, it was easily top 10 for me. The 2 times I have seen Ziggy, once before at ROTR back in 99, he has brought fire. The man plays to the entire crowd, songs for the youth, the elderly and bass heavy jam sessions for the ones with grimy souls.

I have never been to this venue so I suspect that it had something to do with it. The lighting, the sound and scenery amplified the whole musical experiences. The crowd was very diverse but the one thing they all had in common was they respected the youth and kept the herb out of sight. Very family friendly venue thats for sure.

I wouldn't consider myself a Ziggy Marley fan and I don't own a single track of his, however, when it comes to live shows he has impressed both times I've seen him. I have learned that music is very subjective so don't let other people influence you. Get out there and make up your own mind, you might be pleasantly surprised like I was last night.
August 14, 2015 09:29PM
Thank you for your post jingoBA, you summed up my night each time I have seen Ziggy. Love him and always will be a fan of his live sets! I am ready to see him again tonight! LOL
August 14, 2015 10:13PM
JingoBa
I have never been to this venue so I suspect that it had something to do with it. The lighting, the sound and scenery amplified the whole musical experiences. The crowd was very diverse but the one thing they all had in common was they respected the youth and kept the herb out of sight. Very family friendly venue thats for sure.

Word - that place is a class act, and gorgeous views. I remember when it was just bleacher seats, it's come up quite a bit since then. Pricey shows, but probably my favorite concert venue ever!

I've seen Ziggy a few times, including with the Melody Makers, and have always enjoyed his shows. Free Like You Want 2 B is an awesome disc, and would love to see them put out something new - but I like his newer stuff too.
August 15, 2015 12:29AM
I took my family and some young kids to see Ziggy and Co. at the Winery a few years back. It was a great family show by an amazing band. The venue is gorgeous, the views spectacular, and the whole place was filled by first class sound. Pricey, but worth it. Everyone had a great time.
August 15, 2015 01:35AM
I think without a doubt, Bob would be proud of Ziggy's works.
August 15, 2015 01:52AM
Yeah man, I believe that 100%.
August 16, 2015 07:15PM
Have to agree with you Rossta, Ziggy's Great!

I think unfortunately he's had to bear the burden and the blessing of being the firstborn of Bob & Rita Marley's children in that several high, perhaps way too high and unreasonable expectations have been placed on him long before his Ziggy Marley & The Melody Makers days to the terrific solo career he's got now.

Aside from all of this, what Ziggy brings to Reggae is wonderful. It's spiritual, conscious and entertaining. Plus, I think his song True To Myself is a very personal track that says it all in terms of who he is musically and spiritually along with Love is My Religion.

Ziggy is one of a handful of acts, call them crossover or whatever, whose music, vibe, presence, etc brings out a wide variety of people from all walks of life. I don't think he's done anything bad to Reggae Music, nor his family's legacy. He seems to stay true to himself and the music in genuine ways. This is consistent is his performances,including the family shows which most definitely Rossta, would be cool to have at SNWMF.

Peace,
Bagga.......
August 17, 2015 07:19PM
August 18, 2015 01:36AM
^^ Sky High passing by - above pic taken yesterday, like I said still connected and family.

Ziggy still has some tuff lyrics. He always has a positive vibe. The tune Fly Rasta is on my current playlist. I won $100 cash from the station last year in our contest for the liner from the most famous person with my Ziggy drop. He's a legit artist outside of reggae and not many reggae artists can claim that.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 18, 2015 01:55AM
Nice to see the three together. Sky High always Irie! Give thanks Ras Adam for the photo.
Rasta on the right track. Check out Conscious Party. Also, some Culture ft. Mr Joseph Hill. One Stone
is a good place to start. Always, "One Bright Day."

Peace Love and Harmony
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login