Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Same 'Ol Crap

Posted by J_72 
Same 'Ol Crap
September 02, 2015 04:07PM
I'm the senior class advisor this year, and am guiding the process for helping them pick their homecoming theme for their class ( theme for entire week is "music genres" ). I received this email this morning, and was a little disgruntled, but don't even want to go there with admin. eye rolling smiley

"For what I and the administration see as obvious reasons Reggae is not an option for our Homecoming Theme this year. Please do your best to explain to students why this might not be a good idea if it comes up. If you need clarification, please let me know.

Thanks,"

Grrrr.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2015 04:08PM by J_72.
AJ
Re: Same 'Ol Crap
September 02, 2015 05:25PM
Do you want to keep your job or not Jeff?!?!.........no reggae!
How about some ska.
All kidding aside... This is not right. Not sure if you were even thinking of reggae for the theme.
Good luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2015 08:15PM by AJ.
September 02, 2015 06:10PM
It seems like a simple case that drugs are rampant in all popular music could me made. Unfortunately natural living, equal rights and justice and appreciation for an almighty God gets lost in the Emerald Triangle ganja focused reggae culture. Can you blame the administration?
September 02, 2015 06:15PM
big up your best intentions, but i say take the 'L'

jamaicans dont even fight for their music.. why should you ?

plus its not even a worthy cause to fight for.. as long as you have passed on principles of hard work, integrity, discipline, etc, then you have done your job.. reggae is entertainment.. the listed principles are life necessaries.
September 02, 2015 07:13PM
so what are You going to do? curious... stand up for truth & justice or fall in line with the 'obvious reasons' hogwash... Your students are watching...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
September 02, 2015 07:15PM
Nuff jazz musicians puff the ganja....the admin is ignorant.

Love that reggae!
September 02, 2015 08:05PM
obviously it's a better choice to choose a crappy pop song from the radio than one of those dang ray-gey songs... smoking smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
September 02, 2015 10:14PM
So I guess EDM as an option is ok but reggae isn't. The seniors chose hip hop. Danny, truthfully speaking I'm not tenured at my new school so I prefer to keep my job then get fired for a music theme.
September 03, 2015 12:46AM
I would definitely ask for clarification grinning smileysmoking smileyeye rolling smiley
September 03, 2015 12:49AM
Is him and the administration also opposed is teaching grammar?
September 03, 2015 01:15AM
Not sure where you are based out of PapaJosuha but just to let you know that a few years back in So Hum (Emerald Triangle) the public high school (So Fork) had a float for the local rodeo that was totally about reggae. It was green red yellow and big photos of Bob Marley............ There was no reference to ganja.........
September 03, 2015 01:18AM
That reggae float by the high schools was in a parade that went thru town before it parked at the rodeo............
September 03, 2015 02:07AM
When I taught in Willits, the kids had a reggae-themed float...it was actually really cool. Im
'm new here so not pressing the issue.

Billy, good call man.
September 03, 2015 04:01PM
papajoshua
It seems like a simple case that drugs are rampant in all popular music could me made. Unfortunately natural living, equal rights and justice and appreciation for an almighty God gets lost in the Emerald Triangle ganja focused reggae culture. Can you blame the administration?

No, I don't blame the admin. This is why I do a Bob Marley lecture every year on his birthday- breaking misconceptions.
September 03, 2015 09:52PM
J_72
So I guess EDM as an option is ok but reggae isn't. The seniors chose hip hop. Danny, truthfully speaking I'm not tenured at my new school so I prefer to keep my job then get fired for a music theme.

Hip-hop? You mean a musical genre that glorifies gangs, thugs and drug dealing, considers a stretch in prison as a badge of honor, and treats females as 'bitches' and 'hoes' is OK, but not reggae?
September 04, 2015 01:41AM
Ask for clarification from what seems to be a braodsided and prejudicial claim.
The only way I can see an "educator' of all people judge music is solely based upon its content and reggae by no means has a monopoly on drugs, sex or any other vices for that matter. It does not hurt to ask for clarification. I would be interested to hear what they have to say.
September 04, 2015 08:30AM
he wantsa keep his job...

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
September 04, 2015 03:28PM
J_72

dont worry im sure reggae will be happy to give you a job and pay your bills, healthcare and retirement.
September 04, 2015 03:30PM
Stamina!
J_72

Hip-hop? You mean a musical genre that glorifies gangs, thugs and drug dealing, considers a stretch in prison as a badge of honor, and treats females as 'bitches' and 'hoes' is OK, but not reggae?

Come on now, I think you are mixing up RAP with Hiphop. The same thing could be said about reggae and "dancehall". All music has its uplifting moments and its grime. IMO there is a beauty to that, as is life.
September 04, 2015 11:24PM
well, Yuh keep putting up with crap all You're going to get is the Same 'Ol Crap... jus sayin... and that behavior is taught every time it happens....

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
September 04, 2015 11:41PM
Hey Danny, while some openly do the works, others work on a more subtle level. At my old school we had a beautiful reggae float during homecoming, but with a new job and the reality that I could get fired for any little reason before I'm tenured...well, I don't have that luxury. I do well to give my Marley lecture every year to try and break through the misconceptions.

Regarding the same old crap, I'm just speaking about society's misconceptions, not just the educational world.

Strikkly, I would bring up these questions if I had more time in the district, but I'm new still.

Joshua and Herb, I take Joshua's side...lots of good and bad I'm hip hop and rap, just like reggae.

I was just complaining to the good people of this forum because, well, we are a reggae family.

Peace
September 05, 2015 02:12AM
Class of 1991 we decided that The Dead Milkmen's classic hit Punk Rock Girl would win by popular vote but in the end the electoral college won out for Jesus Jones right here right now
September 05, 2015 03:19AM
bigvein
big up your best intentions, but i say take the 'L'

plus its not even a worthy cause to fight for.. as long as you have passed on principles of hard work, integrity, discipline, etc, then you have done your job.. reggae is entertainment.. the listed principles are life necessaries.

Agreed BV
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login