November 25, 2015 09:11PM
never too early to start mapping out your summer plans
[californiarootsfestival.com]

Re: Cali Roots Fest May 27,28,29th 2016
November 30, 2015 06:07AM
Pass....
November 30, 2015 10:09PM
Wonder why Stephen is not in that Sat headline spot.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
November 30, 2015 11:00PM
DJ Treez
Wonder why Stephen is not in that Sat headline spot.

They had Chronixx on the small stage early in the day last year. Pretty much sums up this fest for me. Although, since the big stage is so crowded that you can't get to where you can see the artists without fighting your way up there, maybe it's a good thing that they put the best artists on the small stage.
December 01, 2015 08:39PM
I am making early plans to skip this one. Thanks Ras A! winking smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2015 07:54AM by Danny Crucial.
December 01, 2015 10:52PM
also pass..

Love that reggae!
December 01, 2015 11:19PM
Chronixx on the small stage was well worth the price of one-day admission for me last year. I hope Protoje and Tarrus will also get the small stage treatment this year. Much better viewing situation than the big stage.
December 03, 2015 06:40PM
Definite pass for me. All about making money, not promoting the roots legends. When Soja headlines over some Roots legends you get no love from me.
December 04, 2015 03:27AM
I'm gonna save my money for more lagitamite reggae festivals.
December 05, 2015 12:33AM
Rossta8
Definite pass for me. All about making money, not promoting the roots legends. When Soja headlines over some Roots legends you get no love from me.

I personally wouldn't cross the street to see SOJA in fact I would likely run but I do LOVE when festivals and music promoters are successful at what they do. Warren is successful doing what he does but there is only so much of the "roots legends" the market can bear.

Variety is what makes a festival fun for me and I think the lion share of the ticket buying public will agree. There are only a handful of people out there who want to see the "roots legends" play all weekend. And ya know what that is ok. Good to see quality reggae on diverse lineups. It is important for the masses to be exposed to it so that they can appreciate it.
December 05, 2015 12:51AM
Nice post Papa J.

I never liked SOJA, especially after hearing about their attitude at their last SNWMF performance, but I heard a song by them on Pandora recently and it was actually pretty good!

#mindsdochange
December 07, 2015 05:30AM
Chronixx on smalll stage in afternoon was better.....U could get up front with plenty of rooom......the headliners in the main bowl is soooo crowded......Thousands of people at night healiners. way too packed...they do it right, alll on time and staggered...U don't want steephen to get headlining sturday if u relally want to see him.
December 08, 2015 07:48PM
papajoshua
Rossta8

I personally wouldn't cross the street to see SOJA in fact I would likely run but I do LOVE when festivals and music promoters are successful at what they do. Warren is successful doing what he does but there is only so much of the "roots legends" the market can bear.

Variety is what makes a festival fun for me and I think the lion share of the ticket buying public will agree. There are only a handful of people out there who want to see the "roots legends" play all weekend. And ya know what that is ok. Good to see quality reggae on diverse lineups. It is important for the masses to be exposed to it so that they can appreciate it.

Caliroots is a successful business, I agree with you on that point. I don't agree that Cali Roots brings variety. They have Soja, Tribal seeds and Rebelution headline every year. What they have done is find what sells right now and push it. Good for them, still not my cup of tea.

Also, I didn't ask for the roots legends to be on stage all weekend, I asked that they be treated with respect and put into a time slot they deserve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 08:08PM by Rossta8.
December 08, 2015 11:17PM
Reggabe
Nice post Papa J.

I never liked SOJA, especially after hearing about their attitude at their last SNWMF performance, but I heard a song by them on Pandora recently and it was actually pretty good!

#mindsdochange

SOJA live vs. recorded sounds like a completely different band. I don't mind their recorded songs when they come on however their live performance and vocals did not sound good at all! At least not at SNWMF or any videos I've seen of them live. I'd be curious to hear them live again just to compare but I wouldn't ever pay to go to their concert unless they were at a festival I was attending.
December 08, 2015 11:24PM
Gotta agree that Cali Roots is a successful business and I'd be interested in going at least one year. Luckily since there is a lack of variety, I could go any year and have the same experience probably lol.

My only concern with Cali Roots is the location + camping. Their camping situation seems odd and I'm just not down for it. I would not want to camp offsite at a raceway (google says about 10 miles away?!), and rely on a shuttle to get me to & from the festival. I like SNWMF camping because you can just walk to your site at any given time and eat, relax, etc. Cali Roots camping is $180 or so I believe which seems way too high for offsite camping for 3 days.
December 10, 2015 08:01AM
Nothing there to make me travel a couple of hundred miles to see. I will pass also.
December 10, 2015 09:11AM
one name i see on that lineup that thrills mi is Peni Dean! cat can sing like there's no tomorrow! don't really get the "no variety" claim about this lineup, as I see much variety here... granted a lot are repeats from the 4 or so fests before this one...but variety still... The Expanders, Ooklah The Moc, Protoje, Nattali Rize, Stick Figure, The Skints, Tarrus Riley... and more to be added? these ALL work for mi. and they are all very different to my ear...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
December 13, 2015 10:31PM
I too will be passing...went for 1st time last year just to see Chronixx. I'm tired of the "filler" bands that seem to be at every festival each year!! But I suppose there's not enough acts out there. They should maybe try real raw new talent as fillers - may just work!
December 14, 2015 09:16PM
There are different festivals for different folks. SNWMF has had both SOJA & Rebolution headline the last few years so it can't be just about that. It's about the entire line up, location, dates, vibe and how well its all managed and presented. For me it's a matter of priority. If I could go to every festival that I wanted, I'd probably hit this one up. Since I can only manage two so far, it's SNWMF & ROTR. If I could squeak in a third, it'd be the one in Oroville or the Bay Area Vibez fest. Although next year, I am really bucking for the Jamrock Cruise. And then there is Rebel Salute that is held on my birthday weekend in JA. Yep, priorities will keep me from Cali Roots for sure.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 09:18PM by DJ Treez.
January 28, 2016 01:45AM
January 28, 2016 02:35AM
DJ Treez
There are different festivals for different folks. SNWMF has had both SOJA & Rebolution headline the last few years so it can't be just about that. It's about the entire line up, location, dates, vibe and how well its all managed and presented. For me it's a matter of priority. If I could go to every festival that I wanted, I'd probably hit this one up. Since I can only manage two so far, it's SNWMF & ROTR. If I could squeak in a third, it'd be the one in Oroville or the Bay Area Vibez fest. Although next year, I am really bucking for the Jamrock Cruise. And then there is Rebel Salute that is held on my birthday weekend in JA. Yep, priorities will keep me from Cali Roots for sure.

Got my cabin on the Jamrock Cruise. Just sayin.

January 28, 2016 06:49PM
PASSING for REALZ!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login