Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reasoning: clothes we wear

Posted by AztecRasta 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Reasoning: clothes we wear
December 06, 2015 04:12PM
Im wearing a petroleum based jacket for el nino's rain
Im wearing colors and dyes that leak onto my skin
Im wearing clothes mass produced that destroy human workers lives and the environment

Is this the best I can do? Jesus only possession was his robe?
Re: Reasoning: clothes we wear
December 06, 2015 10:45PM
The is real discussion, the clothing industry is a pretty messed up one, for the reasons you have posted and more! Conventional cotton is also one of the top 3 sprayed crops, the amount of pesticides that are used for just 1 teeshirt alone are crazy, and that is before we even get to bleach, dye, slave labor, shipping across the globe to and from where the slave labor is.... Also from what I have been reading, micro fibers from all the synthetic cloths, break down every time they are washed, and then of course end up in the water..... Hemp and the like are the best way to go, but kinda pricey for most of us.... Jah know!
December 07, 2015 01:30AM
Thanks for those details, I didn't know I was wearing pesticides, if plastic form our clothing is getting into the water then this is really getting out of hand
December 07, 2015 02:31AM
I've also heard synthetic fibers also block our natural vibrations. I've failed to find an article backing that up right now, but I know i've read it somewhere. Haile Bless, I read a guy from Maine had done a study on the synthetic micro fibers that are showing up in vast amounts on our beaches and in our water. Patagonia seems to be on the forefront of proper clothing. They recently came out with a wetsuit made entirely from a plant, as neopreme is pretroleum based. But they still have many things made out of synthetic fibers, and they added synthetic fibers to their merino wool items to make them last longer.

Aztec, you can get a waxed cotton rain coat, or look to make your own. Old school technology that works well, but can be pricey.
December 07, 2015 06:44PM
ya'll must have it real easy in life if this is the kind of crap you have time to worry and complain about.....
the world struggles with all sorts of violence, poverty, hunger, slavery, human trafficking, police brutality and more....
and you folks are worried about your clothes? wow. pretty sure these things are called a "first world problems"

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
December 07, 2015 07:58PM
HiGrade....

except for the fact that the clothes we wear are a "global problem"....

As Haile Bless mentioned, regular cotton is heavily sprayed with pesticides, generally on mono culture cotton plantations in third world countries, picked and sprayed by workers who are barely paid, and generally aren't given any protection against it.... The amount of water to grow cotton is also exhorbanent. The bleaches and dyes used in many clothes are produced in countries that have little to no environmental regulation, so they are poured down the drain. Then you have the sweat shops that pay next to nothing to workers who work extremely long hours and in often times dangerous conditions. When I was in el salvador, I met a woman who worked in one of the many sweat shops there. She left her house before 4am and arrived home after 9pm, 6 days a week, making less than a dollar a day.

There are still many countries where child and forced labor (and child forced labor) are used in the production of cotton, the manufacturing of textiles and the manufacturing of clothes. Deciding what you wear and who you support does have a direct impact on poverty, hunger, slavery and human trafficking...
December 07, 2015 08:38PM
Personally I think Jesus would walk around in a pair of sneakers and sweat pants, chilling with the everyday working folks.

Peace
December 07, 2015 08:54PM
Hi-Grade is a clothing model for Forever 21 on the side, hence his shilling for mass produced crap
December 07, 2015 10:15PM
"...the clothing industry is the second largest polluter in the world..."

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
December 07, 2015 10:23PM
do you dare bring this same argument to the '#black-lives-matters' fashionistas ?

you know, the ones wearing $100 t-shirts with the BLM hashtag print..
oh yeah.. dont forget accessorized by $200 air jordans..
gotta be fresh protesting the man.. all the while wearing clothes made by 5 year old kids eating slop for breakfast and dinner.
December 08, 2015 01:49AM
Bigvein, don't forget the gold and diamond jewelry...

I wonder who made those shirts Puffy had a couple years ago, i think they said "vote or die" or something along those lines that he was selling for obscene amounts of money
December 08, 2015 04:17AM
While everyone has good points to be made....
Having seen and participated in making clothes from brain tanned deer skin, I can say first hand it's a lot of work put into making your own clothes
And when these handcrafted items are sold at a premium price, ppl complain
No easy answers here, but discussion def helps!
December 08, 2015 06:08AM
"And render your heart, and not your garments, and turn to the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repents him of the evil." -Joel 2:13

"Then David and all the men with him took hold of their clothes and tore them." - 2 Samuel 1:11
December 08, 2015 08:37PM
HiGrade1
ya'll must have it real easy in life if this is the kind of crap you have time to worry and complain about.....
the world struggles with all sorts of violence, poverty, hunger, slavery, human trafficking, police brutality and more....
and you folks are worried about your clothes? wow. pretty sure these things are called a "first world problems"

I cant think of a better way to spend energy day to day to address these issues than the way I spend my money.

Food, clothes and fuel along with the resources that are needed for them drive much of the inequalities in the world. I need these things anyway so I do my best to make a conscious choice and first and foremost consume less.

Every action the "first world" makes effects the "second and third world". I would counter that is not a first world problem instead a first world privilege and responsibility.
December 08, 2015 11:43PM
Once again Papa J is spot on. I used to concern myself with global problems that caused all kinds of worry/anxiety. No thanks. I'm still concerned, but I now find it's easier to make a difference focusing on things we CAN control, like what we wear. If you buy organic/ fair-trade cotton or hemp, I think you are making a positive difference in the world (although it will affect your pocket book negatively). Vote with your dollar(s)!
December 15, 2015 08:03PM

Ras Zoki sent me this with a note that said, “Merry Christmas, I bought you this great Reggae shirt!”

So I sent an email back to Ras Zoki and told him that is one of thee most offensive Reggae shirts I & I & I have ever seen…

How dare he send me a Reggae shirt that doesn’t have a huge weed leaf on it…..

CHAAAAAAAA!
December 16, 2015 03:49PM
CHAAAAAAAA, indeed.