Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

steel pulse - a contradiction

Posted by bigvein 
steel pulse - a contradiction
January 14, 2016 08:46PM
so in 'Worth His Weight In Gold', Hinds is lamenting his people's time in slavery. all the while verbally whipping the slave driver, the white oppressor, etc..

however if you check the lyrics, he goes on about how the african people were at one time conquerors.

'Remember when we used to dress like kings
Conqueror of land conqueror of seas
Civilization far moved from caves'

surely this african conquering of lands wasnt just placing a tent on some uninhabited lands.
usually conquering means one group took by force something belonging to another group.
conquering is not usually a peaceful action.
so surely along with this conquering came some type of enslavement, killing, raping, oppression, etc.

so hinds is basically whining that his people lost to the 'cave dwellers'... then in the next breath
celebrates his own peoples conquering of other peoples/lands..

animal farm-esque logic at play here.. meaning, some oppressions and enslavements are less-equal than others..

lets discuss..
Re: steel pulse - a contradiction
January 15, 2016 01:03AM
I view lyrics similar to how I view other art; paintings, poetry, literature, etc.
Always open to interpretation....
BV, I don't necessarily disagree with you questioning these lyrics, just pointing out that they ARE open to interpretation.
"Conquering" could mean a number of things, and he never specifically states that the conquered are humans.
January 15, 2016 06:17AM
evil transcends into every skin color

I am ashamed to be human sometimes because we put out so much negetivity -- knowing we are are intelligent and smarter than that in the next breath
January 15, 2016 07:57PM
BV - I don't see how the lyrics above express anything any different from Marcus Garvey's teachings and point of view; really.
January 15, 2016 08:45PM
IYah_Trod
BV - I don't see how the lyrics above express anything any different from Marcus Garvey's teachings and point of view; really.

marcus garvey didnt reflect on supposed feats of african conquests.. he didnt groan on and on about being a conquered people. he didnt blame whites for the condition of black people. he understood it was up to his own people to make things happen on their own behalf.
he looked forward with the understanding that the freed slaves were once a magnificent people.
that magnificence didnt include war or conquests..

i think you have marcus garvery mixed up as some guy looking for europeans to give black people a chance.
he said in pharoah's house freedom will never come.. so back to zion we must go.. but behold his own people
were too lazy to appreciate that movement.. so he was sold out for 20 shekel.. and now we have a people
who have lost their way and continue to fall farther and farther behind on the world stage.

i think you better check your facts and your meditations..

forward ever, backward never.
January 15, 2016 09:25PM
big up the exchange still.. i just think at some point a balance must be reached.

at what point has the european 'paid' for whatever injustices he has 'imposed' on the world?

if we applied a straight up balance sheet to this discussion, would a debt still remain ?

on the debit side we have lost lives and 'injustices' at the hand of the european

on the credit side we have saved lives at the hand of the european.

so tally up the lives lost due to slavery, racism, whatever put that number as your debit totals.

then tally up all the lives saved or made better due to european technological advances. advances that make quality of life the best recorded in history. for example, the internet and telecomunications has saved millions of lives.. also included here will also be the altruistic efforts of the european. put this number as your credit total.

back of the envelope math says to me a balance has already been reached..

so buckle up, lace up, and put your best foot forward..
January 15, 2016 09:44PM
it remains:

Otherwise, bro, I just don't have time to get caught up in what you are "trying" to prove herein; its confusion.

Far from a lamentation; far from whining.

The Vibe is Big!

"For two hundred and fifty years we have struggled under the burden and rigors of slavery.
We were maimed, we were brutalized, we were ravaged in every way. We are men.
We have hopes, we have passions, we have feelings, we have desires, just like any other race."
-Marcus Garvey

I rest my case. Done; but yes, big up the exchange still.

Jah Bless*
January 16, 2016 04:39PM
when you are building your tower of babel based on a foundation of sand(lies), then confusion will be your reward.
so as in the days of old, we now we speak different languages.
the language i speak is of freedom, strength, innovation, industriousness, integrity, honor, independence.
the language you seem to speak is one of weakness, handouts, guilt, blame, and dependence..
so yeah.. confusion.

IYah_Trod
it remains:

Otherwise, bro, I just don't have time to get caught up in what you are "trying" to prove herein; its confusion.

Far from a lamentation; far from whining.

The Vibe is Big!

"For two hundred and fifty years we have struggled under the burden and rigors of slavery.
We have hopes, we have passions, we have feelings, we have desires, just like any other race."
-Marcus Garvey

I rest my case. Done; but yes, big up the exchange still.

Jah Bless*
January 16, 2016 06:06PM
BV said:
marcus garvey didnt reflect on supposed feats of african conquests.. he didnt groan on and on about being a conquered people. he didnt blame whites for the condition of black people.

Iyah Trod responds with a Garvey Quote:

BV responds with:
building your tower of babel based on a foundation of sand(lies), then confusion will be your reward.

Well, it certainly seems to me that BV is the one who is confused here because the only 'lie' here is what BV wrote initially regarding what Garvey did or did not 'reflect on'......
January 16, 2016 08:18PM
6 ting di Iyah One screw pon ... yea 7 is an abomination:
- A proud look
- A lying tongue
- Hands dat shed innocent blood
- A heart dat devise wicked imaginations
- Feet dat is swift fi run fi mischief
- A false witness dat run lie
- dem dat sow discord amongst idrens
.......... ily Bibby (Proverbs 6)
January 17, 2016 01:58AM
It is a contradictory sentiment, BV, and the denial of human complexity and messiness.

Peace
January 17, 2016 02:11AM
I agree that it seems contradictory but really doubt if we can expect entertainers to be politically or philosophically consistent. I enjoy reggae music and hope that the performers are motivated by pure goals but also know that it isn't always the case. Bob Dylan's lyrics used to endlessly analyzed and when he was asked about some of the them, he replied "I'm just a song and dance man".
January 17, 2016 05:39PM
patterning negative attention seeking is a psychological condition... psuedo-intellectuality is a serious put off, and engagement with such carries no benefit. That's about my take on these type threads.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login