Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

35th annual bob day

Posted by Ras_Adam 
35th annual bob day
January 15, 2016 03:31AM
there is no e in willi williams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 11:53AM by Ras_Adam.
Re: 35th annual bob day
January 15, 2016 03:36AM
Tuff call, if I can make it, would prob be only 1 of the 3 days.....
January 15, 2016 04:00AM
much like there is no 'n' in 'is'

Ras_Adam
there in no e in willi williams

January 15, 2016 11:54AM
funny
but my typo wasn't mass produced
a
January 15, 2016 01:49PM
lets keep it one-hundred adam..

long gone are the days of the reggae fan who studies the music.
long gone are the days when the reggae fan can run off a riddim name
off the top.. then identify which stable produced a certain version of that riddim.
long gone are the days when the reggae fan can identify the drummer simply based on
kick drum or cymbal patterns. so forth and so on.

that said, i would say the only attendees of this event who will even notice are probably nick and carlos.
everyone else attending this show are just there as an excuse to 'get irie.'
AJ
January 15, 2016 11:53PM
Thanks for the info Ras Adam thumbs up
We are thinking of going Day 2 Sunday night. Never been to The WorldBeat Center.
Anyone have any info....like sound, chairs, tables, or is it standing room only .... drink/food....etc.. Do these TTTRL shows usually sell out?
Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2016 12:53AM by AJ.
January 15, 2016 11:57PM
Some nightmarish reviews of security there last year, you might check for old threads.....

Love that reggae!
January 16, 2016 12:48AM
Congos for Lovers Rock????
AJ
January 16, 2016 02:34PM
nomotrouble
Some nightmarish reviews of security there last year, you might check for old threads.....
Thanks nomotrouble.
I did check an old thread from last year and it said security was over the top. That being said.....what does that do to the average concert goer? I guess I do not understand why the security is so tight. Were there problems in the past?
Reason I am trying to gather some info on the WorldBeat Center is, because it is a six plus hour drive for us plus a couple nights of hotel costs.
Anyway that's where I am coming from......we'll probably just roll the dice and go. Love the line up on Sunday. I guess the Congos' line up would be the same as ROTR....no Cedric.
January 16, 2016 04:14PM
If there is no Cedric, it is not worth seeing them, that didn't work for me at ROTR.

Love that reggae!
AJ
January 16, 2016 04:25PM
nomotrouble
If there is no Cedric, it is not worth seeing them, that didn't work for me at ROTR.

Kind of like The Diamonds without Tabby.
January 16, 2016 04:33PM
AJ
nomotrouble
Thanks nomotrouble.
I did check an old thread from last year and it said security was over the top. That being said.....what does that do to the average concert goer? I guess I do not understand why the security is so tight. Were there problems in the past?
Reason I am trying to gather some info on the WorldBeat Center is, because it is a six plus hour drive for us plus a couple nights of hotel costs.
Anyway that's where I am coming from......we'll probably just roll the dice and go. Love the line up on Sunday. I guess the Congos' line up would be the same as ROTR....no Cedric.

when i was in san diego last year, i talked to a main person with the world beat center.. in talking with this person, they stated that bob day is more of a family friendly event these days..
imo, if you want weed to be a central part of this day, do it away from the venue..
if you are going to enjoy the artists then the gestapo tactics shouldnt be an issue..
if you just want to make this a 420 conference and if your money is tight, then its up to you to roll that dice..
January 16, 2016 04:35PM
I don't think the security issues were about weed. Long lines, plenty waiting, harrassing of media is what i remember.

Love that reggae!
January 16, 2016 04:52PM
big up nomo and all the works you perform on behalf of the community..

nomotrouble
I don't think the security issues were about weed. Long lines, plenty waiting, harrassing of media is what i remember.
AJ
January 16, 2016 05:54PM
Wow........long lines, plenty of waiting, gestapo tactics, police on the roofs (from last year's thread), etc......confused smiley Sounds like fun!
Our last live reggae fix was SNWMF 2014 (outside of Ali Campbell's UB40 this past summer).....so my wife & I just wanted a go to a nice reggae show.........now I'm not sure.

Anyway guys.....thanks for your input.
January 16, 2016 07:47PM
i can appreciate if a venue doesn't want smoking inside, especially when children are present. It's not that hard to be courteous.

Love that reggae!
January 17, 2016 08:35PM
I'll only go if Makeda gives me the VIP ticket she owes me. smiling smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
AJ
January 17, 2016 09:00PM
Another question......do they still have the Long Beach Bob Day Reggae Fest (or whatever it's called)?
January 17, 2016 09:04PM
Nope not for the past few years. sad smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
January 17, 2016 10:06PM
Sometimes I wish I lived on the mainland so I could attend shows like this.

Is Alika the sista from Argentina? Does anyone know if she has a new release?

Jah Son
January 17, 2016 10:20PM
Alika is the sister from Argentina, don't know about new release. She's great though.

Love that reggae!
January 31, 2016 05:15PM
It looks like this may be the last year for Reggae Legends/Bob Marley Day in San Diego, or at least the last one for Makeda Dread.....

35th Bob Marley Day Festival the last for Makeda Dread

[www.sandiegouniontribune.com]
February 01, 2016 05:31PM
Good riddance to Makada. For all the good she does it gets lost in hate speeches while on stage. I think her stepping down from Reggae in SD will be a good thing. I hope the next person that steps up is not so racist.
February 01, 2016 07:17PM
the language on the flyer states "35th annual"......
does that imply that the Bob Marely Days /TTTL show started the same year Bob passed? or is this to create intentional confusion to make people think the festival has been going on since then, but really its referring to it being 35 years since Bob Marley passed? Sounds shady and deceptive, but maybe not?! Anyone who has insight please share....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
February 01, 2016 07:21PM
bigvein
long gone are the days of the reggae fan who studies the music.

Incorrect.

February 01, 2016 07:30PM
Here's a flyer from 1992 which states "11th annual".....

February 01, 2016 08:13PM
"Hate speech" and "racist"..... Those are strong labels Diesel. Please enlighten us.
February 01, 2016 08:56PM
i'm just curious if there was a tribute to bob marley concert the same year he died.... and if the month has always been the same for the event, it seems there was a tribute before he was even passed away....?! or is this a case of it used to be a "celebrate bob's birthday" event (which is weird to celebrate while the person is still alive unless they are attending the event), and after he passed away, turned into the current "tribute" event... if anyone attended the 1st one or has a flyer from it, i'd love to see it....

February 01, 2016 09:59PM
I'm not sure what the first one was called but believe it was "Bob Marley Birthday Celebration" (aka Bob Marley Day) until Rita stepped in around 10 years ago. Thereafter, it was renamed to "Tribute To The Legends." To my knowledge, its always been held president's weekend......
February 02, 2016 12:55AM
yeah I didn't see any hate or racism in the above San Diego Tribune article, only a true love and dedication to reggae music, in it's traditional form...
February 02, 2016 04:53AM
Reggabe
yeah I didn't see any hate or racism in the above San Diego Tribune article, only a true love and dedication to reggae music, in it's traditional form...

During my time in the SD scene you always heard little news carrying stories about makeda.
But then when you get one on one with her all those rumors and
raerae goes out the door
In my dealings with her she has been nothing but
gracious and kind to myself and my children.

She has put a ton of people on and gave a lot of people opportunities to realize their dreams.
February 03, 2016 12:49AM
Well man, life ain't no bed of roses, so some people come to enlighten you of their troubles.
Is that what is being referred to as racism?
February 03, 2016 01:22AM
A while ago, early 90's there was an article about Makeda and Elliot (Trade Roots? It's been a while). Makeda was accused of "cleansing" the roughness of Jamaican culture, and Elliot included the hardcore stuff as a tribute to Jamaican culture, in regards to their radio shows. Man, I wish I could find that article again.
February 03, 2016 05:31PM
strikkly
"Hate speech" and "racist"..... Those are strong labels Diesel. Please enlighten us.

This topic has been discussed before but if you have not read I will tell you my expenses. I grew up in SD and attended many events at the WORLD BEAT CENTER. It was a great location growing up to see reggae music. Growing up and going to shows is one thing but getting into the business and seeing what happens behind the scene is totally different. Every time I spoke with her she bashed my culture to my face, never paid me in full and in general always made me feel uncomfortable talking with her or listening to her speeches on stage. She is rude to bands that don't kiss her ass and just 2 faced in general. There are also a few other issues with her. (I feel bad saying that because the major one I personally have no problem with but if it got out in the public she would be done.)
February 03, 2016 05:36PM
I'm just saying dude getting your feelings hurt by black folks is hardly something to carry on about as a grown man. Especially a grown man who chooses to be a part of a historically and decidedly black music. I'm sayin don't play yourself. Be more hip. Wise up. Or not. Take it or leave it. Cheers.
February 09, 2016 05:18PM
strikkly
I'm just saying dude getting your feelings hurt by black folks is hardly something to carry on about as a grown man. Especially a grown man who chooses to be a part of a historically and decidedly black music. I'm sayin don't play yourself. Be more hip. Wise up. Or not. Take it or leave it. Cheers.

I could argue about this for days but I think it speaks for its self that she has not been invited back to MC at SNWMF.
February 09, 2016 09:26PM
Last year they went on and on about how they would be back to the other venue this year. Obviously that didn't happen. The venue isn't bad but the security is a major issue. There is no alcohol at all allowed in the venue and none is being sold. For me that wasn't a huge issue but I would like to have a beer or 2. The main problem for me was the fact that you could not partake in the herb at all and the security at the gate is very strict so getting around that policy is almost impossible. Of course there are ways around it involving hash pens or edibles, just be sure to hide it very well when going through the gate because they check really good, my wife basically got felt up by one of the lady security guards. So if you do go to this just be aware that you will not be able to have any beer in the venue and smoking herb is very hard especially considering the security on top of buildings with their binoculars looking to bust you for one draw!! Had I known this going in last year it would have been much better, because I would have just had the beer or 2 in the parking lot across the street and my wife would not have been caught with herb in her bra. Needless to say I will not be making it this year because it is too far and the security issues are more than I'm willing to deal with again at a reggae festival.
February 10, 2016 12:10AM
It appears that the Monday lineup has been moved to the Observatory. The festival FB page has a lot of puzzled inquiries and a comment from the promoter that ticket sales have been slow.
February 10, 2016 12:15AM
chronicom420, just the fact that you can say your wife got caught with weed in her bra means it's a place i would never go. WTF are they checking bras for? Hard to believe this could go on in the same state i live in. Wow.

Love that reggae!
February 10, 2016 12:39AM

It appears that the Monday lineup has been moved to the Observatory.

While that was once true, it appears to be back at WBC. The Tribute website has removed the (previous) reference to The Observatory and that venue is now showing another musical act that night.

And, FWIW, I am no longer seeing Mykal Rose, U-Roy or Ken Boothe on the web site as performing on Monday.

My guess is that this will be held INSIDE the WBC, wasn't it outdoors last year....?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 12:41AM by Daniel.
AJ
February 10, 2016 02:13AM
No Michael Palmer or The Congos on Sunday either.
From 5 acts to 3 acts on Sunday.........not right in my book.
And we'll see if Frankie Paul shows up on Sunday giving his condition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 02:16AM by AJ.
February 10, 2016 02:25AM
Daniel
My guess is that this will be held INSIDE the WBC, wasn't it outdoors last year....?

Yes it was outside, but the inside was being used for some activities as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 02:25AM by fourtwentyplenty.
February 10, 2016 06:44PM
Yea nomo it was really hard to believe they were checking that closely. My wife definitely felt violated, luckily they weren't trying to actually bust people just trying to stop it from entering the venue. This festival went downhill big time in my opinion, I went at around 7 years ago when it was at the other venue and it was a lot different. I still really miss the bob day fest up here in sf/oakland!!
February 21, 2016 10:29PM
Any reviews of this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login