Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

All Time Toppa-Top SNWMF

Posted by Randys 
All Time Toppa-Top SNWMF
March 04, 2016 05:43PM
In the Cocoa Tea thread Jah Mike called out 2006 as the all-time best Sierra Fest.
This is a topic my festy buds and I have debated over years. What say the hive? What year do you fondly remember as being the all time 'bestest' Sierra and why?

For me it was the 1999 Sierra session back in Marysville. After growing up on a steady diet of Sly and Robbie and Black Uhuru it was the first time I was able to see them - with Michael Rose nonetheless! Today this package is not such a big deal,but back in 99' this reunion show was massive!

Both Israel Vibration and Apple Gabriel were on the bill and somehow Warren convinced them to set aside their differences and come together for a reunion set - It was magic, the cork popped and the whole a massive went crazy for this set. It was amazing seeing the trio reunited on stage once again - Apple up their like the prodigal son returned; both Wiss and Skelly seemed to be fulljoying themselves with beaming smiles, and it seemed as though all had been forgiven and the fractured relationship restored - definite neck tingling moments. Unfortunately it was not to last - word had it that by the end of the weekend, the trio were not speaking to one another again, and the magical reunion turned out to be just a brief, one-off show.

It was also the first time seeing Alton Ellis for the wife and I. She was not as familiar with his works, but Alton was on point and by the end of his set, he was at the top of both our 'favorite classic singer' roster. The Mighty Diamonds put on an amazing show - they always do - but this was the first time seeing Diamonds for us so was really excited to see them and they were very impressive and did not disappoint.

All in all, that 1999 session in Marysville takes first prize in my book.

So... What year at Sierra is toppa-tops in your eyes and why?

Oh yeah, give Rankin' Joe a session at Sierra 2016 - A Must!!!
Re: All Time Toppa-Top SNWMF
March 04, 2016 08:30PM
I remember this show as a great one as well, but if you had asked me what year it had been, I'm afraid that these old brain cells don't recall dates so well any more.

Which year was it that Burning Spear performed at Marysville? I can't say that that particular year was my favorite, but I do remember that particular performance being one of my all time stand outs.

Looking forward to this year with much anticipation, as is the rest of the Guam Massive.

Ever forward
Jah Son
March 04, 2016 08:37PM
For me there were many greats, but there was something about my first year attending in 2001 that stuck. For a brethren who grew up in the midwest, went to college on the east coast, I was definitely awe struck and shine eyed by the whole experience and the massive and crew.

Some of the highlights:

Buju Banton headlining the main stage at night, torches and huge Ethipian crosses being held in the crowd, serious vibes. Otherwise the classic roots artists:

Gregory Isaacs
Eek a Mouse
Abyssinians
Bernard Collins
Carlton and His Shoes
I vibes
Ethiopians
Linval Thompson (huge, so amazing to see)
Sister Carol
Jr Murvin

Many of these artists I had only heard on cd, so to actually see them and hold a vibe was so precious. I thought Twinkle Bros played that year as well, but it may have been the following, that was a huge highlight.

Bushman closed up the fest Sunday night at the small stage, and after the weekend, I knew I would be back for many years to come. Forward eva!
March 04, 2016 09:42PM
jahson
I remember this show as a great one as well, but if you had asked me what year it had been, I'm afraid that these old brain cells don't recall dates so well any more.

Which year was it that Burning Spear performed at Marysville? I can't say that that particular year was my favorite, but I do remember that particular performance being one of my all time stand outs.

Looking forward to this year with much anticipation, as is the rest of the Guam Massive.

Ever forward
Jah Son

That was 2000 - also one of the all time greatest Sierra Fests. I hear you on the fuzzy memory thing - luckily I have been OCD about purchasing the festival posters every year so I am able to refresh the memories...

The Gladiators set with guest Clinton Fearon was pure aural bliss. I was not that familiar with The Gladiators catalog at the time, but the energy of the crowd and the vibes on stage made it clear something really special was going on. I grabbed my Hi-8 camera I brought to record Burning Spear and recorded most of the Gladiators set. The Mad Professor was running the controls that year and the surprised look on Albert Griffith’s face which quickly melted into a warm glowing smile when Mad Professor first dropped in some heavy dub effects is priceless!

After that fest I got up to speed on The Gladiators and just who Clinton Fearon was, and just how important he was to the early Gladiators sound, I have since come to treasure the footage of that special set. I really should convert the footage to digital sometime and throw it up on Youtube for others to enjoy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 07:36PM by Randys.
March 05, 2016 02:35AM
Anyone remember the Ragamuffins around 06-08 at Bill Graham in SF?

Gregory Isaacs
Midnite
Eeka Mouse
Anthony B

Heavy!
March 05, 2016 08:17AM
After my first post about Burning Spear, I thought about that Gladiators and Clinton Fearon reunion. Clinton is a special friend and we were standing to the side of the stage wondering if Albert Griffiths would invite him to come up and join them. We were all so excited when it happened.

I think I could name at least another dozen special performances quite easily, which just goes to show how great SNWMF is, and the amazing job Warren and crew do. Thank you so much!

It costs us quite a bundle to make the trip all the way from Guam and back, close to 3 grand when you figure in airfare, hotels, rental car, food, medicine, and shopping. We save all year to make the pilgrimage, and every year it is well worth it, and once we get back we start saving for the following year.

And it's not just the music that makes it so special. It's also seeing all the friends we've made over the years. I look forward to many more years to come.

Ever forward
Jah Son
March 05, 2016 05:14PM
Its hard for me to say one year was my favorite. Every year there's some moment where i look around, and can't imagine being anywhere else. Last year it may have been during No Maddz first song 'Shotta' when the singer is chanting, 'we don't like police, we don't like police.'

Love that reggae!
March 05, 2016 06:38PM
seems i always go back to my first as being the best. 2000 at Marysville.
Soul Syndicate with Daddy U Roy & Yabby You.
mesmerized after 9 years in federal prison!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
March 14, 2016 07:28AM
Have to agree with Jah Mike about 2006 Fest. It was the first one in Boonville. After what went down at Angel's Camp with the Sherrif's Dept., it was an incredible relief to feel that the Fest had found a home in Mendocino County.

The last performance of the Fest in 2006 by Coco Tea with Fanton Mojah coming on stage was an incredible experience. It felt like the whole venue was on a slow moving airplane flying over the valley. What an uplifting experience. Seeing and hearing Willi Williams that same Sunday was another highlight of the Fest for me. After 2005 Fest, there was a possibility that the Fest wouldn't find a new home. So. to have the festival at the Mendocino County Fairgrounds and feel like we'd have a place to go in future years was such a relief.
March 14, 2016 08:33PM
I believe 2006 was the LAST snwmf in Angel's Camp...2007 was the first year for snwmf in Boonville...
March 14, 2016 09:22PM
Off by 1 year. 2006 was the first year in Boomville....
March 14, 2016 09:34PM
Opps! Thanks Daniel! My memory, like so many others on this board, is a bit foggy....hehe
March 15, 2016 12:52AM
2007 was maaaaad. Mark Wonder, Tony Rebel, Queen Ifrica, Turbulence, Bunny Wailer, Richie Spice, Abja, Jr. Kelly. Cannot remember if they all made it...I think they did. WOW that was an IRIE year!!!!!!
March 15, 2016 01:13AM
also my first year at angels camp in 2003 I remember on Saturday U Roy, Sister Carol, Brigadier Jerry, Johnny Clarke, Leroy Sibbles were all good as I recall and Mikey Dread was complaining on and on until the people eventually told him to shut up....and then by nightfall I remember rushing over to the barn to hear a wikkid warm up session with an up and coming extremely energetic artist named Warrior King. What struck me that year was the people posted up next to us on their blanket had the big mason jars with big california buds in 'em and it was an impressive sight.
March 15, 2016 05:49PM
strikkly
also my first year at angels camp in 2003 I remember on Saturday U Roy, Sister Carol, Brigadier Jerry, Johnny Clarke, Leroy Sibbles were all good as I recall and Mikey Dread was complaining on and on until the people eventually told him to shut up....and then by nightfall I remember rushing over to the barn to hear a wikkid warm up session with an up and coming extremely energetic artist named Warrior King. What struck me that year was the people posted up next to us on their blanket had the big mason jars with big california buds in 'em and it was an impressive sight.

2003 was also an incredible year.
That early morning combo session with Brigadier Jerry and Carlton Livingston on stage was unexpected and a well nice start to the day.
...that is until Pappa Briggy started burning fire on all things Batty. The crowds response was curious - most folks didn't comprehend what he was carrying on about and enjoyed themselves. A few who were paying attention shouted their disapproval and booed, and even a few others were bigging up Briggy's sentiments. An odd scene - Cali PC vs. Old school Jamaican dogma.

Word has it the festival organizers were none too pleased and I don't think Briggy has been invited back since.
March 15, 2016 05:53PM
briggy played on the village stage and in the dancehall in 2011...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
March 15, 2016 05:55PM
Randys

...that is until Pappa Briggy started burning fire on all things Batty.

sigh...
'batty' does NOT mean gay..

its more along the lines of butt, booty, back side

which is why you hear phrases like

big batty gyal - girl with a big butt

batty rider shorts - shorts that are tight on the butt.

and of course..

batty man - self explanatory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2016 05:56PM by bigvein.
March 29, 2016 09:42PM
Best festival I have ever attended was SNWMF 2008 and NWWRF 2008

SNWMF 2008 Buju Banton and Midnite

NWWRF 2008 best Midnite set I have ever seen!

Those two festivals will always be in my mind as epic epic days
March 31, 2016 06:22PM
All Sierras have been memorable but 2008 in the greatness of Boonville, in the village, Pat Kelly, Stranger Cole, and Roy Shirley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login