Ganja bad for reggae

Posted by akee123 
Ganja bad for reggae
April 26, 2016 01:36AM
Important read

[midnightraverblog.com]
Re: Ganja bad for reggae
April 26, 2016 05:05AM
I'm not sure if this is a generational issue but I agree. I am tired and bored with the quality and amount of ganja tunes. It is an easy crutch to gain fans and is tired and uninspiring. Many artist use it and I often skip those tunes. I do like some of the classic tunes like the ones that were mentioned in this article but to base your career off of ganja times is
April 26, 2016 05:19AM
I would have to agree too, for the most part
April 26, 2016 02:23PM
Yeah, when I listen to the Joint, I can almost feel Dermot Hussey cringe when an up-and-comer's crappy ganja anthem rotates to the top of the playlist.

I agree with the blog post -- too many up-and-comers fall for the easy score of a ganja anthem, which is usually musically sub-par -- poorly written, poorly produced. The riddim is usually a tried and true classic abused in the service of a quick hit or its an original riddim that normally would not see the light of day because is so crappy.

I see ganja anthems as a method to keep the stoner community close to reggae music. Reggae artistes have cultivated this relationship with the stoner community because they need the revenue stream. Financially, reggae music is in nadir. The primary way for reggae musicians to make any money is to tour. The larger the audience, the more money made. Ganga tunes exists primarily to bring the stoner community to the show.
April 26, 2016 03:06PM
great read, however I would emphasize the economics since the ras in the mountains of JA had an economy based around it and survived through it, in the west, the spirituality is lost, and all that comes to the surface is happy (sub par) tunes that remind me of overeating.

Giving thanks!
April 26, 2016 04:05PM
I'd say the lack of creativity in modern reggae music is much more linked to the mono-riddim culture than any particular lyrical subject matter. Too many of the new tunes coming out share the same riddims.. Most of these instrumental tracks are a huge degradation from the level of musical composition involved in say, a Bob Marley or Peter Tosh tune. The concept of the bridge has been lost in these modern, one skank all the way through riddims. Most of the singers at the top right now have very little to do with the production of their own instrumentals, which is nice, because it frees the lyricist up to work harder on making some serious lyrics... But it also takes away from the level of musicianship shown by the artist themselves. Once you get 5 different artists on one riddim, the originality is lost to a certain extent.

As far as crappy american reggae bands making crappy songs about Herb, I also think the root of that issue is deeper than the topic matter in the song.
April 26, 2016 04:50PM
Been saying it for years myself. All things in moderation as they say. Next problem for me is the association with hard drugs. Why use coke/heroin/X in the same sentence as a plant that you are referring to as a sacrament in the next sentence. Same reason I dont consider a reggae fest the most family friendly event. Is it ok for kids, sure, but it is for us an occasional at best voyage for our family unit.

As a dj I was taught to play in a style that appealed to the whole of the crowd. That is one thing that attracted me to reggae. You have one tune for the God Bless, one for the gyallas, one for the thug, one for the ganja man, one for the suffer, one for the militant youth maybe you have a ganja segment same way you have a segment for the girls but it could never carry the whole of the set. ROOT REALITY AND CULTURE!

A few years back I caught a certain singay who had a popular weed planting tune and I swear 20 minutes of the set was a haul and pull up and various variations of the one tune in a 40 minute set. Complete turn off.
April 26, 2016 05:12PM
I thought I was alone in this. I do think it travels beyond the "ganja" tunes, as there are many newer songs I've heard reusing the same simple lines about "Jah" without any real poeticness to them.

I've been listening to a lot of older Niyorah again recently, and I'm always amazed at his use of words and how he tells a story. A true master at lyrics.

Funny that he mentioned 10ft ganja plant in the article. I've never been a fan of many of the shitty american reggae bands, but I feel 10ft is far superior to them. I know the lead singer and he has a serious dedication to continuing on traditional reggae music. Has the author listened to much of their music? Despite their name, they have very few songs specifically about weed, and the ones they do have, I feel are strong lyrically.
April 26, 2016 05:41PM
RasTantan
I thought I was alone in this. I do think it travels beyond the "ganja" tunes, as there are many newer songs I've heard reusing the same simple lines about "Jah" without any real poeticness to them.

I've been listening to a lot of older Niyorah again recently, and I'm always amazed at his use of words and how he tells a story. A true master at lyrics.

Funny that he mentioned 10ft ganja plant in the article. I've never been a fan of many of the shitty american reggae bands, but I feel 10ft is far superior to them. I know the lead singer and he has a serious dedication to continuing on traditional reggae music. Has the author listened to much of their music? Despite their name, they have very few songs specifically about weed, and the ones they do have, I feel are strong lyrically.

There are alot of people who love reggae and would agree with all three points. Chances are you will find them listening to alot of kinds of music too and rarely at a "reggae" festival.
April 26, 2016 10:35PM
Whilst I agree with the premise, I think there are bigger issues that serve to "diminish reggae’s influence as a genre of music worthy of the same reverence and respect given to jazz, rock, blues and other genres."

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
April 26, 2016 10:45PM
A very large majority of reggae music doesn't talk about weed at all, so I think this is way overstated.
April 26, 2016 11:04PM
I get Doug's point. But the larger issue is the overall quality of the song writing...if you hear a song as well crafted as, oh, say Book Of Rules by the Heptones between now and the weekend for SNWMF, please---pull my coat and let me know.
April 27, 2016 12:32AM
papa ray
I get Doug's point. But the larger issue is the overall quality of the song writing...if you hear a song as well crafted as, oh, say Book Of Rules by the Heptones between now and the weekend for SNWMF, please---pull my coat and let me know.

Cosigned.
April 27, 2016 02:43AM
papa ray

This gets to the real of it.
April 27, 2016 03:50PM
"We don't want no cliche, talking to the singers and the deejays....."

April 28, 2016 08:43PM
rootsthroughsidewalks
I'd say the lack of creativity in modern reggae music is much more linked to the mono-riddim culture than any particular lyrical subject matter. Too many of the new tunes coming out share the same riddims.. Most of these instrumental tracks are a huge degradation from the level of musical composition involved in say, a Bob Marley or Peter Tosh tune. The concept of the bridge has been lost in these modern, one skank all the way through riddims. Most of the singers at the top right now have very little to do with the production of their own instrumentals, which is nice, because it frees the lyricist up to work harder on making some serious lyrics... But it also takes away from the level of musicianship shown by the artist themselves. Once you get 5 different artists on one riddim, the originality is lost to a certain extent.

As far as crappy american reggae bands making crappy songs about Herb, I also think the root of that issue is deeper than the topic matter in the song.

Totally agree
April 29, 2016 02:04AM
June 07, 2016 01:06AM
June 07, 2016 01:38PM
Kirk out!
June 07, 2016 06:15PM
wow.....I don't think I've ever seen everybody agree before...Great points by everybody......people playing ganj tunes over the same old beats is boring.... everything in moderation....also artists just using the same ciches about Jah...(with no meaning, just to rhyme with their stupid line). I saw a show in Panama where they constantly burn batty....I'm just thinking, don't u have anything better to say with your time... Time for a Bernie's points reggae song.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login