Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: can we talk about tents?

Posted by Jahsiah 
OT: can we talk about tents?
April 29, 2016 02:00AM
I've been going to SNWMF for about a decade now and in that time I have met my wife, had a child and now raising a 6 year old. In that time we have gone through 3 tents. A Coleman 2 person in the beginning,a 4 person light Coleman and a light speed stand up instant tent for 6 (way too big at 12x12). Any recommendations on a good instant stand up tent with a D style door? We are looking at one at REI for 320 but would love to find something 10x10, stand up, Instant and a vestibule or portioned room would be ideal. I am looking for suggestions! Most of our camping is in summer/fall and at festivals and car/koa camping. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Re: OT: can we talk about tents?
April 29, 2016 03:28PM
Costco.com has some reasonably priced Coleman tents that might fit your requirements - assuming your a member of course.
April 29, 2016 03:56PM
We love our REI Kingdom 6. Have had it for years. Once part of the screen got ripped and REI replaced the whole thing with the new model.

It has a room divider and the rain cover has a built in vestibule.

It's pretty spendy but worth it if you camp regularly. I had a friend that worked there and hooked me up with the employee discount.

[www.rei.com]
April 29, 2016 04:16PM
REI is expensive but their tents are very quality. We have a hobitat and love it. Not instant like you were asking about but very easy to put up, only 3 poles, and plenty of space. Coleman is about the cheapest tent you can get but you get what you pay for in my experience.
April 29, 2016 04:37PM
From cheapest to most expensive. I have a REI that is 10+ years old, a Sierra Designs that is 15+ and a North Face that is 20+. All are in good shape although the North Face is no longer truly waterproof. Imo the REI is probably the most bang for your buck and probably made in the same factory as one of the name brands. We have 3 because the family keep growing.

Imo you get what you pay for and it is keep to store them clean and dry in a dry place out of the sun. For example if you leave them set up in the backyard for the kids to play in they wont last the summer. That might be obvious but just saying. I have no idea what is available out there but I would highly recommend starting with the REI.
April 29, 2016 05:53PM
Have not used it yet, but I just bought a Coleman 8-Person Red Canyon Tent for this summer on Amazon Prime (free shipping). It has great reviews, is easy set up and only $110. It is larger than you are looking for (17x10), but can have separate rooms. Imma set it up this weekend for practice and to make sure all parts are present.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
April 29, 2016 06:20PM
coleman tents suck. they will fail. buy quality from rei and if anything ever fails on it, you can return it as a co-op member...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 29, 2016 10:42PM
Last year I got a no-poles tent that clips into/into a 10x10 straight leg ezup. Superdope. Inside is a full 10x10 space with straight walls and high roof.
Highly recommended. Quick setup and super roomy.
Got it from Amazon. Called a Standing Room Tent.
May 02, 2016 11:13PM
This Kit is pretty Legit ! For those who already do the easy up thing
[www.amazon.com]

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
May 03, 2016 03:20AM
juanlove
[www.amazon.com]

That's what I got. Superdope
May 10, 2016 11:13PM
I usually just buy the cheap tent from Big 5 and throw it away after festival season, runs about $25 a summer and fits my queen air mattress comfortably and has plenty of room to stand up in and what not.
May 11, 2016 07:56PM
Rossta8
I usually just buy the cheap tent from Big 5 and throw it away after festival season....

thumbs down

May 12, 2016 12:20AM
I never had the opportunity to attend the festival in the short span that I lived in CA, but I picked up a Tepui rooftop tent last year and I wish I had bought one years ago. Perfect festival tent when you can car camp. When I used to do the festivals rounds on the east coast, I had a sierra designs tent. Watched many a huge squall move through and soak everyone's tent except for mine. When you pay a hefty price for a quality tent, you tend to take care of it, and it lasts quite a long time.
May 12, 2016 12:24AM
HiGrade1
Rossta8
I usually just buy the cheap tent from Big 5 and throw it away after festival season....

thumbs down

May 12, 2016 06:06PM
RasTantan
...Tepui rooftop tent

I have the Autana 3 man version with the vestibule and it is awesome! Highly recommended.
Sets up pretty quick. No more sleeping on rocks or deflating air mattresses.
Until i'm too old to climb the ladder I will be camping in my Tepui.

May 12, 2016 09:15PM
Oh no, I got judged by a couple of big guys hiding behind a computer screen, you hurt my feelings. Pathetic, I shared what works for me at festivals just like you shared what works for you, but yeah go ahead and keep judging HiGrade and Sommerdude, you guys are pathetic. Same story every time you come on this blog, people trying to bully others behind a computer screen.
May 12, 2016 10:03PM
Uh-oh...calm down. Nobody is bullying you. Even though this board is not a certified Safe Space, we are still allowed a sense of humor, no matter how sarcastic or sour it might seem to you. And if you know of another way that I can communicate on this board without the use of a computer screen, I am very interested.
May 12, 2016 10:54PM
Okay, the tepui tent looks very cool, but 1200 bucks is a lot of money. I'm with rossta, i also go to big5 and get the cheapest 8 foot square tent. last year i got three of them, at the end of the season there were two left. i'm hoping they last through the season this year, but i'm not sure. for the 120 bucks i spent on the three tents that will last two years, that tepui tent would need to last 20 years to be equivalent. What usually goes first is a zipper, and that probably holds for the expensive tents as well as the cheap. What i like about my cheap tents is that if the kids or a friend need a tent i don't mind lending it to them cause i have little invested.

as for the judging, on the one hand it does get a bit repetitive, on the other hand, wouldn't you miss it if it was gone? things we let our friends say to us every day sound harsh on the internet when it's spelled out. this is a poor method of communication.

Love that reggae!
May 13, 2016 12:10AM
Nomo, they definitely aren't cheap, I used my tax refund last year to buy it. We used to have a VW van years ago and having the treehouse effect was awesome. We had considered getting another van, especially with a child on the way and wanting to explore with her, but couldn't swing the price of a 3rd vehicle. This filled that. My daughter loves climbing up into it. You can put them on any vehicle with a roof rack, and it sets up in 3 minutes. It's going back on the roof rack next week, can't wait to use it again this season!

Higrade, that's the one we got. Only set up the vestibule once so far, but really looking forward to using it a bunch this season.
May 13, 2016 12:19AM
Rossta, I thought about making fun of you, but you actually use it for the season. I've worked for clean vibes in the past doing festival clean up, and there are so many people who go buy cheap tents and leave everything they brought at the end of the weekend for someone else to clean up.... Especially if it rained.
May 13, 2016 05:02AM
Idrens, I went tent camping in Humboldt last summer, not too far from reggae on the river area and a bear visited my tent (I was eating a sandwich in there by myself a HUGE mistake) it sounded like another bear fought with it and they both ran up the hill.

Lets just say I stopped tent camping after that and will be sleeping in my car form now on.

At festivals you should be fine though, just a reminder to not eat in your tent in bear land when camping, doesn't matter if its a big 5 or a REI 2K tent.

Giving thanks!
May 13, 2016 08:11AM
Eff it! Buy a new tent every year.... Luckily for all of us, resources on this planet are infinite! smileys with beer

AJ
May 13, 2016 03:06PM
I've been camping since the 60's with the family and camping/backpacking with the Boy Scouts.
Started backpacking in the early 70's with friends. What I figured out quickly was that boots & tents were the main part of a pleasant experience..also a good sleeping bag. I really respected good equipment after a few November snow backpacking trips in SoCal.
All that being said, I did and still do today spend the extra money for a good tent. It's all in what you can afford....maybe cut back spending in other areas, if money is tight.
I had an two person REI Dome tent from 1980 to 2003....it died at SNWMF....somebody fell into it on Sunday night and gave us a nice big skylight.angry smiley
I took good care of this tent & it lasted 23 years...paid $199 + tax in 1980. So.....that's about $9 a year. On the average, I used this tent two or three times a year, plus two months in a Greek olive grove on Corfu in 1980.
Since then I had another dome and now we have a Big Agnes, all from REI.
REI used to have lifetime return policy, but it has changed to one year, still a pretty good return policy.
Cheap tents are just that...cheap. You'll not just have problems with the zippers, but also poles, seams, leaks, etc and sometimes from day one (bring plenty of Duct-tape). Don't get me wrong, good equipment can also have problems, but less likely.
Camping/backpacking is not the place where you want to have issues. It's not just having a good tent, but other camping equipment needs to be topnotch.
But again, it's all in what you can afford or want to spend.

Happy Camping.....drinking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 06:48PM by AJ.
May 13, 2016 07:45PM
I bought a Coleman tent at Costco 10 years ago for $60. I keep it in really good condition. Only the shock cords need to be changed. There is no need to constantly throw a tent away. They last forever if you keep them nice and pack them correctly. Don't let them mold out when wet. It's pretty simple.
May 13, 2016 08:28PM
I thought the sea turtles love munching on a discarded tent that they mistake for food.
May 14, 2016 01:59AM
"bring plenty of Duct-tape"

Advice for the ages....

Love that reggae!
May 17, 2016 08:37PM
RasTantan
Rossta, I thought about making fun of you, but you actually use it for the season. I've worked for clean vibes in the past doing festival clean up, and there are so many people who go buy cheap tents and leave everything they brought at the end of the weekend for someone else to clean up.... Especially if it rained.

I leave my space cleaner then when I came, always! After 4-5 festivals and 10 plus weekends of camping in dusty central Oregon, my tent is beat up and I donate it to the local homeless shelter if its still usable, if not I dispose of it, been doing it ever since 2005. One thing I do see value in buying top quality is a cooler, as a nice cooler will ensure you have ice all 5 days at ROTR or 3 days at SNWMF.

Don't see how I am bothering turtles Sommerkind, oops another judgment from you, SHOCKER. I forgot you don't throw anything away ever, my bad.

Money has never been tight for me, but I just don't see the use in buying a big expensive tent when they get beat up at festivals. First ROTR I went to my buddy had a big amazing tent that he had dropped a couple of hundo on and somebody put a big hole in it. Lesson learned

Not sure why I respond to certain peeps on here but I just cannot stand judgmental people. I don't judge you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 08:45PM by Rossta8.
May 17, 2016 09:10PM
HiGrade1
Eff it! Buy a new tent every year.... Luckily for all of us, resources on this planet are infinite! smileys with beer

You want to talk about resources HiGrade? Have you watched Cowspiracy? Are you a vegan? If you eat red meat you are killing more resources than you can even imagine.

Please watch Cowspiracy, as cows and the consumption of red meat is killing out planet.

GO VEGAN!
May 17, 2016 09:26PM
DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive
juanlove
[www.amazon.com]

That's what I got. Superdope

That does look like what's up... Any sense of longevity?
May 17, 2016 09:35PM
REI is a great company to support. Their return policy is top notch... Took a backpack traveling around the world. A couple years later zipper's broken. they gave me anew one and $10 cash for the price difference....I would buy everything from them
May 17, 2016 10:09PM
Love REI and have a ton of their gear and gear sold by them... It's right down the street from where I live.

But do be aware they have changed their return policy..

[www.seattletimes.com]
May 17, 2016 11:48PM
yeah, cows is the real culprit. eye rolling smiley

June 02, 2016 11:09PM
You can continue to make fun of me HiGrade but what I speak about with agriculture is the truth. It is destroying our planet, but it seems you don't care. More worried about me throwing a tent away then what is really affecting our planet.

Everyone single human that eats and consumes meat and dairy is killing our planet faster than you have any clue about.

But please keep burying your head in the sand
June 03, 2016 05:56AM
yes i know what you are speaking about. and that is a huge issue for the environment no doubt. but regardless of if i am a vegan, vegetarian, naturalist, herbivore, whatever the heck you wanna call it, that still has nothing to do with you being wasteful by throwing away your tent every season... you say you are worried about the planet, but yet have no problem wasting it's resources and contributing to the pollution that is created when they produce all these items... you can take it as being made fun of like a kid would, or you actually try to recognize what's being said... unless your head too buried to do that....

June 04, 2016 07:41PM
Lot of self-righteousness up in this place, but par for the course in the reggae world.
June 04, 2016 08:45PM
I'd say Hi-Grade & Rossta are BOTH right....

Meat Industry = Bad

Throwing away tent every year = Bad
June 04, 2016 09:08PM
I guess you guys would say i did wrong when i picked my son up from day care and they handed me a plastic bag of his clothing which had gotten soiled from what spilled out of his diaper, and advised me to throw them away in the garbage and don't even think about cleaning the clothes or opening that bag. Co incidentally it happened after his first experience eating beef.

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login