survive him.

Justin Hinds was the third of a trio of legendary Jamaican vocalists all of
whom were born in the Parish of St. Ann, Jamaica that also gave the world
Bob Marley and Winston Rodney. His career began in the Ska era with the hit
recording, "Carry Go Bring Come", for Duke Reid's Treasure Isle label in
1964 and following the success of that record he went on to make dozens of
other ska and rocksteady titles for Reid. Justin recorded two albums for
Chris Blackwell's Island/Mango label in the mid-seventies produced by the
late Jack Ruby and two albums for Nighthawk Records in the eighties.

Justin toured the US for the first time in the late nineties and most
recently had been working in Paris with The Jamaica All Stars, a musical
collective that included Noel Simms, Johnny Moore and Sparrow Martin. Two
albums by the JAS were released featuring his vocals including "Right
Tracks" last year. Justin was working on a new solo recording with his son
Maxwell, a drummer, at the time of his death.
Re: Justin Hinds
March 17, 2005 05:03PM
Sad indeed. He brought much joy and conscious love to the world. May he be one with the most High.
Sir Lord Irie
March 17, 2005 05:32PM
May the great man rest in peace.
Thank you for the music, Mr Hinds.
March 17, 2005 05:40PM
r i p mr hinds...
condolences to your family and friends...

the ark band had the opportunity and privilege to share the stage w/justin hinds
and the dominoes one time in iowa...

one peace roots-ee
March 17, 2005 06:11PM
wow! it's a sad day for old school rastas,
Justin Hinds was one of the best vocalist and help start this machine they call Reggae,
a weird feeling,
I was listening to one of Justin's releases with a friend on the way to KVMR last Thurs. to promote a bluegrass show. Now my friend who is not into reggae very much, Listining to thoes smooth vocals he really changed him around and he now has many more early roots/dancehall/ska cd's and the first was one of Justin's releases. (damm I took the cd out two days ago and I forgot which one it was as I have about 4 of his releases).
I was hoping to see him on tour this year, this is why everyone needs to support all of the older reggae artists and you better see them before their gone,
Toots, Jinny Cliff,
Burning Spear, Maytones, Meditations, Don Carlos, and the rest of the
1st generation of reggae
One Love
Allan
side note,
the man could party back in the day, and could talk way to much
damm sorry to see this one go!
Sir Lord Irie
Re: Justin Hinds RIP
March 17, 2005 08:27PM
Time to put on his 'From Jamaica With Reggae' album, great High Note collection from all eras, spanning ska, rocksteady, reggae, roots, the greatest of all music is here, done by one of the best vocal groups and songwriters ever from JA - Justin Hinds & The Dominoes.

He is truly missed.
jb welda
March 17, 2005 09:09PM
very sad, one more reason to remember to treasure and support the roots while they are still with us. i wanted to see jamaican all stars at the festival, as well as wingless angels; both of which justin hinds had a part in.

maybe in the next lifetime now...

one love
jah bill
March 17, 2005 09:24PM
jb,

looks like maybe Justin got his wings today...

God speed Justin, we have enjoyed your music and your message. Play on....play on... play on

I'll be looking for him next time around too...

Deborah
March 17, 2005 09:45PM
Renegade promoted lots of shows with Justin Hinds in the mid to late 1990's. . He was one of the kindest men in the business.
A quick little story:
Kaati and I were traveling in Jamaica in 1997. Justin Hinds had invited us to come to his house to pay him a visit. We followed the directions that he gave us. When we arrived to the location, we were surprised to see that the building appeared to be a large nightclub (with no signs posted).We thought that we were in the wrong place, but decided to go up to the huge front doors and knock. We were greeted by 2 of Justin's sons who said that he was changing and would be right up to see us. The house used to be a nightclub. About 5 minutes later, Justin appeared dressed to the hilt in a gold suit and a velvet hat (the same outfit that he wore at our Tahoe concert a month earlier). He was so cordial and talked about the history of ska and reggae. He was a true pioneer. Unfortunately he wasn't paid any royalties from songs that he had written years ago. Songs that were recorded by other artists. He signed bad deals and got screwed out of a lot of money. Unfortunately he never had the funds to fight for what was rightfully his.
He arranged for his son to drive us upcountry to see the real Jamaica. It was truly one of the finest days of my life. Seeing the farmland and the mountains.
Justin was a truly great reggae artist. If you never saw him play his high energy ska show, you missed out. Buy a CD and hear a real pioneer. Rest in peace Justin
March 17, 2005 09:45PM
May Justin Hind Rest in Zion,

I & I People must thank Justin Hinds for all the good years he gave us and for his big and mighty contribution to reggae and helping it spread it around the four courners of the Earth. Will certainly miss him, and will pay the respect he much earned, my regards to his family and everyone that knew him; and thanks again for all that great music that he left us. From Puerto Rico with much love & respect

Jah V
March 17, 2005 10:26PM
JUSTIN STARTED AS ONE OF THE ALL-TIME GREAT VOICES IN SKA TIMES,HE KEPT CRUCIAL ON THROUGH ----A #1-VOCALIST, SOULFUL, SWEET AND SINGING THE TRUTH. I FEEL THIS ONE...
March 17, 2005 10:35PM
A truly great singer...RIP.
March 17, 2005 10:51PM
man what a shock to see this post ... one of the most endearing voices in reggae true soul true heart ... will be missed ... will be celebrated ... jah bless ya Justin !
francesca
March 17, 2005 11:00PM
yes, a true loss to the reggae community. it's nice to read your personal story about him robbie.

jahbill, do you mean wingless angels that keith richards was involved in?
March 17, 2005 11:08PM
saw justin at Gaz rocking blues club a good few years back, boss singer ,very sad
ray
March 18, 2005 12:34AM
da man truly "travelled with love" ...give thanks n bless up
jb welda
March 18, 2005 12:56AM
francesca: yes

one love
jah bill
March 18, 2005 04:06AM
I was privileged not only to have heard Justin perform on several occassions, but to have actually spent a day with him, Joe Higgs, and some other friends. It is one of my most treasured memories. Justin was not only a great talent, but a humble, loving soul and a true gentleman in the best sense of the word.

One love,
Jah Mike
March 18, 2005 05:45AM
only got to see Justin once ... down in Kill Devil Hills, NC ... a great long 2 set ... i'm thinking he had chico and nambo with him along with one other horn ... but i could be confusing the horns from Mighty Diamonds' show at the same spot ... anyways ... wicked wicked show ... blazing energy

other than that ... in talking with Kevin from John Brown's Body ... who spent some time with Justin (they backed him on a couple shows in NY and released a live cd and also recorded a couple studio tunes around the same time) ... Kevin had nothing but the highest regard and sincere love for Justin ... only positive words were spoken ...

please try and check for this cd ... it's a nice addition to any collection
here's a mp3 of carry go bring come

[www.archive.org]

JUSTIN HINDS and JOHN BROWN'S BODY - Live at Grassroots (IT-038)
Those lucky enough to catch this incendiary set at the Grassroots Festival are well aware of the magic that occurred on July 19th, 2002. Jamaican-born Justin Hinds was accompanied by I-Town stalwarts and reggae champions John Brown’s Body for a stirring and unforgettable set. Along with “Rude Boys” like Desmond Dekker and Jimmy Cliff, Hinds has contributed to the evolution of Jamaican roots music from early incarnations like ska into later permutations like rock steady and reggae. This recording captures some of Hinds’ greatest hits, like the infectious “Carry Go Bring Home,” updated and reinterpreted with JBB, whose enthusiasm and respect for Hinds is palpable. As evidenced on this recording, reggae music is in its element in the live setting, and this album serves as a lasting relic of a fateful night and a momentous collaboration.
[www.funkyside.com]

Post Edited (03-17-05 21:46)
March 18, 2005 06:46PM
>WOW this is so sad! he had such nice up vibes! i* will always remember watching him perform with his two sons on the year 2000' tour with a BIG ole smile! i* heart goes in to friends & family. so is a nother loss to all spunking reggae fanz! 1LUV & RASpects*
>forward*
Sir Lord Irie
March 18, 2005 10:26PM
Any Top Tens or Top Fives of this great man among you lot? There is so much to choose from, and most if it was extremely good too. Thats his legacy, a superb songwriter and singer.

Natty Take Over
Botheration
Carry Go Bring Come
On the Last Days
Here I Stand
Miss Wendell
Fire
Prophecy A Fulfill
Rig Ma Roe Game
Wipe Your Weeping Eyes

Wish I could´ve seen him, but it never happened, and it never will...
RIP
Jackie Pablo
March 19, 2005 12:04AM
Proof that music is love!

"Once A Man, Twice A Child" / "Carry Go Bring Come" (Treasure Isle) - Justin Hinds & The Dominoes & The Supersonics.

Amen.

March 19, 2005 12:50AM
Jahboo,

Thanks for the sweet sounds of Justin... was there with him for a minute....
Still reeling from his passing....

Jah bless and receive Justin , let him sing as he trods on to Zion
March 19, 2005 02:40AM
i would have to lock in Travel With Love and Rainbow as two of my fav's ... botheration ... save a bread ... sinners "where ya gonna run to ... where ya gonna hide" BIP BIP !!!
March 19, 2005 06:13PM
i thought this was a thread to get him to come see us this summer. i was just listening to justin the other day in class on me mp3 player thursday. what a dissapointment to see him go but his soul is free to float amongst the ever lasting sun of zion.
March 19, 2005 06:21PM
[www.jamaicaobserver.com]

Ever Forward
Empress
March 19, 2005 08:47PM
Subject: TRIBUTE TO JUSTIN HINDS
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:03:52 -0500

HAIL JAHSON,

WESU IS NOW ON THE WEB AT WESUFM.ORG. MY SHOW UPRISING
IS NOW ON SATURDAYS 5-7PM. I WILL HAVE A SUB FILLING IN FOR ME TODAY.
NEXT WEEK I WILL DO A MUSICAL TRIBUTE TO HINDS. YOU MAY LISTEN ON LINE IF
YOU ARE ABLE TO. I TAKE REQUESTS FROM LISTENERS OUTSIDE THE BROADCAST
AREA AT <talkforyourrights@hotmail.com>

I ALSO CO-HOST A TALK SHOW ON MONDAYS 4:30-6:30PM. IT'S CALLED
TALK FOR YOUR RIGHTS. LISTENERS OUTSIDE THE BROADCAST AREA CAN E-MAIL
THEIR COMMENTS AT THE ABOVE E-MAIL ADDRESS.

RESPECT
GARNETT
March 19, 2005 09:28PM
In addition to his catalog of fine works over the ages, one of my faves is his 'Wingless Angels' release, by the same name - a collaborative effort with the Stones' Keith Richards. Do yourself a favor - pick it up, if you've never heard it before. Simply sublime and well-crucial:

[www.allmusic.com]

(by Steve Leggett):
Rolling Stones' guitarist Keith Richards fell in love with Jamaica when the group was recording their album Goat's Head Soup at Dynamic Studios in Kingston in 1972, and subsequently bought a home on the island's north shore in Ocho Rios, where he became friends with a local nyahbinghi drumming collective led by ska legend Justin Hinds. Richards eventually recorded the group one evening in his own back yard in Ocho Rios in the fall of 1995, then spent a couple years doing light overdubs on the recording before releasing it on his own label in 1997 as Wingless Angels. The record, which is wonderfully offhand and intimate, featuring unison vocals and African-styled hand drumming, has a quiet, timeless charm, right down to the crickets and peepers that are audible between songs. The selections are mostly traditional Christian hymns that have been retooled to Rasta ends, and with Hinds' simple, steady vocals leading the way, Wingless Angels has a powerful meditative effect. The Angels aren't a group in the commercial sense, more like a collection of musical neighbors, but its membership includes Hinds, Winston Thomas, Milton "Neville" Beckerd, Locksey Whitlock, Warrin Williamson, Maureen Fremantle, and Vincent "Jackie" Ellis. Richards added guitar and keyboard touches to the finished album, along with further light refinements from Blondie Chaplin and Frankie Garin, who brings a faint Celtic feel to the project with his flute and violin playing. The end result is way more Jamaican than Rolling Stones in tone, and makes for an utterly unique and refreshing listening experience.

March 21, 2005 04:47AM
So sad to hear...
I saw them play in Eugene at Good times,in 99'.
Wanted to work with them again.
Such a nice family.
LOVED the Northwest.
Justin, dressed so nicely.
Carlton, one of the nicest man around.
Blessings to his family!
Much Love and Respect.
Forever Remember!

March 25, 2005 09:10PM
Just thought re-posting this, would bring smiles to many a face. Thanks unto
'pixelfool', for the original posting. Enjoy, and travel with love...

[www.livejournal.com]

O

March 26, 2005 02:59PM
will be missed....................with his majesty now.........rasta live for'i'ver..........
March 29, 2006 03:26PM
I cannot believe justin hinds is dead.may his soul rest in perfect peace.nattydread still in control.peace and love
papa wheelie
March 29, 2006 04:04PM
RIP. I give thanks that I was able to catch him on that tour with the great Deadly Headly Bennett on Sax. He is one of my favorite singers.
A great loss indeed.
Selah.
March 29, 2006 06:29PM
bless all those who are missed- we will all see each other again...
sideways
March 29, 2006 10:58PM
why oh why, must out legends leave us this year..
or ever. hold on, enjoy-forward.
thanks&bless
sideways

just got this the other day too..

let i know if anyone would likee?

Justin Hinds
May 28, 2000
Jolly Bob's
Madison WI

Source:
ATM35s > Sony TCD-D10ProII (Oade mod) > DAT @48KHz
Transfer:
MDAT > Sony TCD-D100 > S/Pdif > Audiomedia III PCI card > PowerMac > Protools 4.1.1 > Aiff > Audacity 1.2.3 (tracking in 1/75 second intervals) > xACT1.5b3 > flac
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login