Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What Happened Friday?

Posted by Lionheart707 
What Happened Friday?
June 21, 2016 07:34PM
There was a steady, but very light rain. I've been to festivals that still went on in much worse. What was the problem? SNWMF needs to step their game up. If there was an announcement explaining the situation, I didn't hear it at all. Super disappointing.
Re: What Happened Friday?
June 21, 2016 07:39PM
Light at the village, not so light at the valley. What festival has performers go on in the rain? I stayed at the village all night, and my cameras didn't even get wet. Complain to the weather gods.

Love that reggae!
June 21, 2016 08:08PM
Lionheart707
There was a steady, but very light rain. I've been to festivals that still went on in much worse. What was the problem? SNWMF needs to step their game up. If there was an announcement explaining the situation, I didn't hear it at all. Super disappointing.

The fact that there was NO announcement... NO Update... No go to the village stage or dancehall till we figure our @#$%& out was discouraging to say the least. Very poor form. I have been to plenty of festivals in the rain with no problem and plenty of shows that have artists who run late... but with NO announcement from the promoters I felt let down.
June 21, 2016 08:34PM
I agree that no announcements friday night at the valley stage wasn't cool. Me and my queen were sitting in the bleachers with the rest of the crowd (mostly to get out of the rain), for an extended amount of time. I looked behind me at some random brother and he's all "Do you know what the f is going on?" We eventually went to the dancehall and stayed there till 12:30-1am. This was my 11th year attending since 2003 and it was sort of a bummer this year with no announcements, no update, and the line up shuffles. Isn't the festival supposed to be rain or shine? Did Lee Perry perform AT ALL over the weekend? No one seems to know! Thank Jah that Kabbaka, Berres Hammond, Don Carlos played and represented well. Seeing Berres for the first time was the highlight of the weekend for me.
June 21, 2016 08:40PM
How was Tanya Stephens?
June 21, 2016 09:12PM
JosephDaniel
I agree that no announcements friday night at the valley stage wasn't cool. Me and my queen were sitting in the bleachers with the rest of the crowd (mostly to get out of the rain), for an extended amount of time. I looked behind me at some random brother and he's all "Do you know what the f is going on?" We eventually went to the dancehall and stayed there till 12:30-1am. This was my 11th year attending since 2003 and it was sort of a bummer this year with no announcements, no update, and the line up shuffles. Isn't the festival supposed to be rain or shine? Did Lee Perry perform AT ALL over the weekend? No one seems to know! Thank Jah that Kabbaka, Berres Hammond, Don Carlos played and represented well. Seeing Berres for the first time was the highlight of the weekend for me.

Lee Perry did not play at all. Shaka was the highlight of the weekend.

Berres was great... Toots was, well wow! Should have stayed in retirement.
June 21, 2016 09:14PM
Reggabe
How was Tanya Stephens?

Had some good moments. Liked when she hit the "Joyride" Riddim... But really could have been better.
June 21, 2016 10:25PM
Bummer that Scratch didn't ever play. I was wondering how that was going to work when I saw on the msg board he had been bumped to Saturday. I know he was playing a show up in Hayfork Saturday night. I would be super impressed if he pulled off a noon set, made the treck all the way from Boonville to Hayfork, and then put on a full show up there. I mean, that would be impressive for a youthful musician, let alone an 80 year old reggae elder. It sounds like he opted to skip the sierra nevada set in order to fulfill his obligation in Hayfork.

I ended up having to skip the festival last minute this year. I have been pretty disappointed about it but will get over it. I would have been pretty annoyed to be there and not gotten to see Scratch... Nevertheless, lots of amazing acts at the fest this year that I wish I could have witnessed.
June 21, 2016 11:33PM
wow--disagree with rinsedriddims.

i thought tanya was really good and i was looking well forward; she did not disappoint in the least. she had the audience eating out of the palm of her hand when she was talking real.

it was seriously real talk that often leaves men feeling uncomfortable and defensive, but she managed to express herself in a way that did not exclude and alienate the men in the audience. i thought that aspect of her performance was brilliant, to be honest.

musically she still sounds very, very good and she touched on many of her big tunes.

mostly impressed with the onstage presence for sure, watching and listening to her express her own maturity.
a strong woman is an inspiration to many--know that!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 22, 2016 12:09AM
I agree. I liked how she handled herself... I did hear some guys complaining about her talking about the punanny a bit much but they were just D-Bags.

Perhaps I was still feeling disgruntled from Saturday? Maybe cause I am English and we have a tough time giving standing ovations unless they really warrant.. winking smiley

I also think she sounded musically good... but at the same time felt that it was missing something to call it an "amazing" performance.... I am super happy I finally got see her and remember when I first heard that Joyride riddim many years ago at like 4am in a club... Love that tune.
June 22, 2016 12:12AM
A lot of festivals have performers play in the rain. Let's see: Woodstock, Riseup, ROTR, Monterey, etc etc.
June 22, 2016 12:14AM
And EVERY festival or outdoor concert in England lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 12:16AM by RinsedRiddims.
June 22, 2016 12:14AM
After all, the event bill says "Rain or Shine"

SNWMF Step your game up.
June 22, 2016 12:17AM
Rain or shine**

*Unless the stage gets we
June 22, 2016 03:59AM
thanks for the review on Tanya, mosquito killer. I've never seen her live but have heard she's a good stage performer!
June 22, 2016 02:03PM
Geez, guys. The Village Stage was cracking and the dancehall was pumping on Friday night. Two highly enjoyable venues operating at maximum capacity all the while....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 02:04PM by Jahsprey.
AJ
June 22, 2016 04:49PM
Rain happens.
SNWMF did try covering the stage, gotta give them credit for that.
Major bummer for those who have not seen LSP or DC before.
IMO ...... Any outside festival there's always a chance of rain, being way too hot, delays, no shows, etc, etc.

Go with the flow. Those who feel it, know it

Cheers
June 22, 2016 05:45PM
Jahsprey
Geez, guys. The Village Stage was cracking and the dancehall was pumping on Friday night. Two highly enjoyable venues operating at maximum capacity all the while....

I agree... but with no announcement of delay I waited and missed the village stage... So that is why I am upset..
June 22, 2016 07:17PM
Jahsprey

Yeah man for sure!! The great thing about SN is you have other options so if one stage isn't popping yet you should always check the other stage/dancehall IMO. I was loving the JWS showcase with all the artists on the mic. Pure fyah.
June 23, 2016 07:42AM
Jeez with the Negative Nancy's. As far as I know only Lee Perry did not play and I would venture to say that if you step to a festival of this magnitude and the whole weekend could be ruined simply becuz of one artist playing or not, maybe reconsider going. For me this experience is about the music, the people, the friends the overall vibe and all expectations were met and then some.

I was at Main Stage on Friday and it was obvious to me that the rain was causing the delays. It was raining pretty hard and there were no announcements etc. There was music as promised on the Village Stage AND in the dry Dancehall with JWS and friends mashing the place up.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
June 23, 2016 07:46AM
DJ Treez
Jeez with the Negative Nancy's. As far as I know only Lee Perry did not play and I would venture to say that if you step to a festival of this magnitude and the whole weekend could be ruined simply becuz of one artist playing or not, maybe reconsider going. For me this experience is about the music, the people, the friends the overall vibe and all expectations were met and then some.

I was at Main Stage on Friday and it was obvious to me that the rain was causing the delays. It was raining pretty hard and there were no announcements etc. There was music as promised on the Village Stage AND in the dry Dancehall with JWS and friends mashing the place up.

Co-sign your sentiments. I do remember hearing an announcement at one point at the main stage during Friday's rain. Something about them trying to work on it and coming back in an hour?
June 23, 2016 03:10PM
"Who feels it knows it"- hahahaha. Ok. Context not required, I guess.

I don't remember where I said it ruined my weekend, Mr Self Righteous. I just think the situation could've been handled much better. I also don't agree that it was raining hard enough to warrant the show being canceled. The production crew just wasn't prepared. With Cocoa Tea having been scratched, and the line up being the weakest I've seen in over two decades, losing LSP due to a steady drizzle was lame, I talked to several people who felt the same way. Did it ruin my weekend- of course not.
AJ
June 23, 2016 08:09PM
Lionheart707
"Who feels it knows it"- hahahaha. Ok. Context not required, I guess.

No need to explain.

Have a nice day.
Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 08:25PM by AJ.
June 23, 2016 09:36PM
Lionheart707
I don't remember where I said it ruined my weekend, Mr Self Righteous.

haha, although you did start this thread and I did reply in this thread, I should note that my post is not specifically directed at you. I was also reading stuff on the SNWMF FB page that triggered my post. Folks were saying that Lee was the only reason they came, there were multiple no shows and they were never coming again blah blah blah. My apologies for the lack of clarity. This seemed like a good place to vent.

MoreLove!

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
June 23, 2016 10:09PM
I completely agree with that. we are so lucky to be able to attend 3 superb days of music and good vibes that i would never see a reason to complain. i always feel down after those 3 days and it takes me a whole week to be back in normal 'working mode' again because my spirit at the festival is so high. every year is better and better. i've going 15 times and will keep on going if my physical health and finance permits it....
thank you snwmf for such a wonderful year again....
peace
June 23, 2016 10:12PM
Alexandre
I completely agree with that. we are so lucky to be able to attend 3 superb days of music and good vibes that i would never see a reason to complain. i always feel down after those 3 days and it takes me a whole week to be back in normal 'working mode' again because my spirit at the festival is so high. every year is better and better. i've going 15 times and will keep on going if my physical health and finance permits it....
thank you snwmf for such a wonderful year again....
peace

sorry i meant to quote DJ treez message. i agree with his message
June 24, 2016 04:34PM
Lionheart 707 said "weakest lineup in over 2 decades" ....well, if you were there ,you have to agree those expectations failed..and I know a handful of reggae vets that I can count on about three hands BTW, who were more than pleased that Scratch DID NOT play...

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 25, 2016 02:03AM
Greetings all:

As a stage MC on that big wet stage Friday night, I feel compelled to weigh in here.

First, to yes, apologize for not having more announcement/explanation of what was going on (or, not).
The rain did seem light, but it also seemed to concentrate on the shade structure and form bigger drops than anywhere else - I walked around to check, and it seemed to be actually coming down harder ONstage than anywhere! We kept hearing that (1) it was going to pass thru quick and stop; and (2) the stage crew could make something happen with tarps and new tents, even though there would likely have been no lights. They kept trying, we kept thinking it was coming soon, but they kept getting foiled until, yes, they had to call it due to safety reasons - both electrical shock potential and a very slippery stage (Scratch is 80 years old). It was truly soaked up there. This was a drag for all concerned, but they made the right decision at the time - they are true pros and otherwise run a tight ship getting acts off and on as efficiently as possible, as most likely know.

Most people seem to have hit the dancehall or Pablo Moses' burning set at Village stage by the time I got the word to call it off. But again, sorry we could not make it work, and for not being more informative. This was truly a first.

Then came all sorts of decisions and negotiations to get Don Carlos to play the next day (and he sure did!), but Scratch had to hit the road to his next gig. He asked me to convey his best wishes to all - at least, I think that's what he said.

Thanks to all for your support and input, even when critical. We try our best.
(And may I add, thanks to all who howled along at the full moon both Saturday and Sunday nights!)
peace,
MC Rico
June 29, 2016 08:20PM
next time have something set up to keep the stage dry. Seems like this is a good idea. IF you are going to ask the public to deal and come "rain or shine" then the show should go on rain or shine. I get why they didn't play with the situation as it was but in the future don't let that happen. I could have been raining all weekend next year so plan for it. This is probably not the only time this has been the case or will be the case. Just one guys opinion. Fest was great as always though!
June 29, 2016 10:18PM
The better part of the last decade I have decided to go to the Telluride Bluegrass festival over the solstice weekend instead of SNWMF. I am a huge fan of reggae, but bluegrass plays rain or shine often under hail and sleet the entire festival is done expertly. Telluride bluegrass far surpasses any other festival that I have been to, I honestly wish that SNWMF cali roots and ROTR could adopt many of the aspects of bluegrass..especially the sustainability efforts!

Guess the rumors about rain melting california residents are partially true.
June 30, 2016 02:22AM
Greetings,

Some if you know me and some don't. I worked the Valley stage all weekend and at one point had on a Seattle SuperSonics tank top. First off Thanks Steve ( MC) for your input. Sounds to me everyone is mad that Lee Scratch didn't perform. Well here is some info. Lee wasn't performing with a full band. Emch Subatomic was providing the music Lee's set and all his gear was electrical. He had a laptop and a mixer that if got wet, then no show. Yes we did put the Raw pop up tent over his set but his laptop was still getting wet. Safety first People. Sorry you didn't get what you wanted that night but I felt the next 2 days made up for Lee not performing.
June 30, 2016 04:36AM
12overggae, extolling the virtues of the Telluride Bluegrass fest is one thing , but backing into your accolade by saying how much that said Colorado fest prepares for hail and sleet and that somehow makes it a better destination at least for you is a little melodramatic in my opinion...I don't care how prepared a stage is for hail and sleet, I'm not sitting or standing through that..who would want to ? The weather at Reggae on the River and Sierra Nevada(wherever the locale has been) is about 99% predictable so one night of drizzle isnt that Upsetting (pun intended)....and you apparently like how Bluegrass handles the 'sustainability' thing, implying that Sierra isnt quite as hip in that department? I'm not really.sure what you mean by the context of sustainability here but Ill side with the hippies from Northern California being aware of sustainability issues (its a prerequisite of being a hippy) as opposed to overlooking them or Jah forbid ,the mere perception of being outdone on that front by a bunch of sheepgoats from Colorado- it aint gonna happen..you seem to be the only one with that perspective ...but yeah Big up Bluegrass and getting caught in the rain baby , Im all for it.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
June 30, 2016 11:36PM
Going to keep this short and sweet

-Telluride offsets 100% of it's emissions, that includes travel to and from the festival.

-Who would want to see a festival while it's raining? I would, it's a magical experience you should try it.

-Lee Scratch, not backed by a band huh? Guess that explains it...
July 01, 2016 07:21AM
Offset Emissions = Paying $$$ to "offset" the emissions, it does not prevent, or eliminate them.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 01, 2016 03:04PM
12oveReggae
Going to keep this short and sweet

-Telluride offsets 100% of it's emissions, that includes travel to and from the festival.

-Who would want to see a festival while it's raining? I would, it's a magical experience you should try it.

-Lee Scratch, not backed by a band huh? Guess that explains it...

RBAYS:

-Love the Telluride Bluegrass Festival

-Outdoor fests are subject to weather - prepare accordingly

-LSP is 80. Keep dry, Sense, keep dry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login