Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ROTR Lineup

Posted by jcom 
ROTR Lineup
July 10, 2016 06:15AM
ROTR's lineup this year has to be the worst I've ever seen for a 3 day Cali fest, let alone ROTR, which should be near the top. Someone really dropped a turd in the punch bowl on this one. Glad I'm not in this year.
Re: ROTR Lineup
July 10, 2016 01:26PM
Not a Sizzla fan jcom? Personally i'm looking forward to at least a couple artists each day. Thursday, New Kingston and Protoje, friday, Jah9 and the Soul Syndicate review, saturday, No Maddz, Fatoumata Diawara and Sizzla, and sunday, Mr Williamz,Keznamdi, Jesse Royal Mbongwana Star, and Anthony B. There are plenty of bands i haven't seen and others i would like to.

Kind of a harsh reading, do you just find the lineup weak?

Love that reggae!
July 10, 2016 02:26PM
I don't know how anyone could say this year has the worst line up ever after last year's line up...

I keep hearing again and again that Sizzla won't be making it. I held the faith for a long time after his name came out at the top of the line up, but at this point I'll be surprised if he does in fact get his visa. It will be interesting to see how they go about replacing the main draw of the fest less then a month before it happens. I'm sure there are a good amount of folks traveling from afar just because they want to witness Sizzla's first show in the US in a long time. We'll see how that all goes.
July 10, 2016 03:44PM
We will, rootsthroughsidewalks, we will. I have been assured that Sizzla will make it or he wouldn't have been advertised so heavily. It won't change my weekend much anyway. Gonna be fun again.

Love that reggae!
July 10, 2016 03:47PM
Different strokes for different folks.

I am really looking forward to the line up this year. If you are into newer progressive, roots reggae music, there is a LOT of up and comers on the bill. Here are some I am looking forward to seeing:
Definitely NOT missing Thursday this year with Protoje & New Kingston. Also a Sugarcane Records showcase (Jah Sun's new European label) with Dubtonic Kru doing their own set and then backing Lion D, Raphael & Jah Sun. Then we have Randy Valentine, Gappy Ranks, Jah9, Million Stylez, Ziggi Recado, House of Shem, No-Maddz, Jesse Royal Keznamdi, Mr Williamz, Keida & Addis Pablo. I play ALL the above artists on my show regularly. Then throw in vets like Yellowman, Mad Proffesor, & U Roy with headliners Sizzla (not holding my breath) and Anthony B. Top it off with some Marty Dread, Earl Zero & Sister Carol and you have a well rounded line up that features the best of the newer talent worldwide. These are artists that we have not seen year in and year out, Kudos to ROTR for the truly progressive line up.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 10, 2016 03:50PM
I am def happy there is only one stage as I would surely have to make difficult decisions if there were two.

As far as Sizzla making it, I've said before that if you step to a festival of this magnitude with the notion that one artist performing or not will make or break your weekend, you should reconsider going in the first place. @#$%& happens, especially in this industry.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2016 04:07PM by DJ Treez.
July 10, 2016 04:54PM
Well said, Trees. I'm looking forward to a niiiiice Reggae this year as well... With our without Sizzla. It will be a great joy to witness if in fact he does show up.
July 10, 2016 04:55PM
Wow jcom, I could not disagree with you more (maybe you're being sarcastic?). IMO, this is the BEST lineup I have seen at a festival in years! Maybe not many old-school roots, (although the Mad Professor-Soul Syndicate showcase with Big Youth & U-Roy will be awesome), but lots of artists to check each day. DJ Treez listed off most of them above. It's gonna be a long 4 days! Here are my top draws per day:

Thursday: Protoje! and maybe a little New Kingston.
Friday: Gappy Ranks (never seen him!), Jah9, Soul Syndicate showcase feat. Big Youth, U-Roy, Mad Prof., etc., and maybe Agent Sasco(Assassin).
Saturday: Ziggy Recado, Million Styles, and Sizzla!!! Also some Yellowman and maybe House of Shem.
Sunday: Jesse Royal, Mr. Williams, Mbongwana Star, and Anthony B! Plus some Sister Carol and Addis Pablo.

I'm super stoked on ROTR this year!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2016 04:57PM by Reggabe.
July 10, 2016 05:00PM
So everyone really likes No-Maddz huh? I still haven't seem them live, but after hearing everyone raving about them on here I went to Youtube and listened to some of their songs and was not that impressed. To each their own I guess.
July 10, 2016 05:17PM
Reggabe i thought they were crisp and fresh, and i loved their first song, 'Shotta' in 2015 when i saw them:

If that doesn't do it for you, they might not be for you.

Love that reggae!
July 10, 2016 08:42PM
DJ Treez
Different strokes for different folks.

I am really looking forward to the line up this year. If you are into newer progressive, roots reggae music, there is a LOT of up and comers on the bill.

Theseaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa are artists that we have not seen year in and year out, Kudos to ROTR for the truly progressive line up.

Completely agree with this and couldn't disagree with the OP more. For the reasons you mentioned, it is one of my most anticipated festival lineups in quite a while. To be sure, if I recall correctly the OP is the one who called Lutan Fyah's music "stresshall".

To me, it is refreshing not to have Steel Pulse, Israel Vibration, Third World, Toots, Jimmy Cliff, Barrington Levy, or any of the Marley kids on top of the bill for a festival. No disrespect to those artists, all of whom I have enjoyed seeing live, but something different is very welcome at this point.

These are only the Thursday artists for early arrivals. i'm looking forward to all of them and many, many more over the weekend. I haven't been to ROTR in 10 years but the lineup was a big draw for me.

July 11, 2016 04:00PM
i can do w/o sizzla. the rest is a PARTY!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
July 11, 2016 05:35PM
I wish Sizzla would stick around and do some shows.
July 11, 2016 06:29PM
In my opinion the lineup is EPIC and thee festival of the summer with no offense to SNWMF. Sizzla is what makes it so special to me. Wondering if he is going to make it

Sadly, I know I cannot
July 11, 2016 09:11PM
Sizzla is the kicker for me, but a SOLID line-up unless you prefer the same ole roots artists that always tour Cali.

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 11, 2016 09:29PM
Seems like majority of reggae fans in California, especially Nor Cal, prefer seeing the legends of years past. I think the addition of guys like Romain Virgo, Protoje etc is great for the future of reggae in California...

Sizzla is amazing artist, he can sing, get raw, conscious, gangsta.. all of it in one package and a super entertainer.

I am looking forward to seeing Bounty Killer in November, not someone I listen to a lot but man his presence is intense and someone I won't get to see in California, my girlfriend is excited for him too because he is "scary" in her words. She is a bit younger all looks at lineups with a different perspective than me (and most people around here). She loves reggae but more of the newer breed and in her words would rather see them than go to an rasta smileyld persons" reggae show lol.
July 13, 2016 01:02AM
IM looking forward to this line up more than any other this summer even if Sizzla wasn't on the bill. The Soul Syndicate showcase to me will be the biggest act of the summer. True musicians with the best of todays vocalist and yesterdays. Friday Night headliner KRANIUM is going to be crazy. Its been a while since some real dancehall has headlined a festival in Nor Cal. This isn't the same recycled line up and artist that we have been seeing for years. Good job to the booking agent for ROTR. See you all on the RIVER!!!
July 13, 2016 03:26AM
Kranium? I didn't know who he was so I looked him up and listened to a couple songs. Not my cup of tea. It's too bad Assassin (Agent Sasco) isn't making it...
July 13, 2016 09:05PM
July 13, 2016 09:17PM
Okay, Sizzla may be an idiot, but i still want to see him.

Love that reggae!
July 13, 2016 10:13PM
nomotrouble
Okay, Sizzla may be an idiot, but i still want to see him.

Pretty much.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 13, 2016 10:29PM
I don't get it, they know that Sizzla and similar performers have that "hate speech" every time about gays and guns and this and that. Why book the artist and then pull him??? Don't get it.
July 13, 2016 10:37PM
Probably being bombarded with complaints. What i don't get is after he agrees not to go there while at Geel, he thinks they're not going to hear about his club act? Apparently he told them he wasn't like that anymore or some such, and the club act revealed that might not be true. Maybe he made the decision that he just didn't care, he was going to let what was in his heart out....So maybe he's not an idiot, just a person with a very strong opinion and a conflict with his wallet. But his opinions are idiotic. If he starts up with that line of garbage at reggae on the river no one will be booing louder than me, it'll be all over the tape.

Love that reggae!
July 13, 2016 10:39PM
aaron_g
Sizzla cancelled at Reggae Geel

These promoters are too much. Maybe 15 years ago you could be an ignorant European and say, "o geez i didnt know, i dont understand what they say" but come on. GIve me a break.
July 13, 2016 10:41PM
What I want to hear is about him having his Visa to come here. Until then I wouldn't count on him being in California any time soon.
July 13, 2016 11:21PM
There's nuff Sizzla material out of the last few years to show he's still gonna stay whatever he wants to say, however he wants to say it.. Check rebel salute 2015 for example. I wouldn't trust for a minute that he would hold anything back for any audience, regardless of whatever the contract he signed said.

I really love a lot of Sizzla's material, new and old. Something I've grown to recognize with him, is that he's no role model, he's not someone who practices what they preach in some ways, he's not the Rasta I'd want to seek out and reason with if I were in JA, he's just who he is. I like his musical style, and appreciate a lot of his messages (whether or not he himself lives by them). I watch that old video he's got on youtube live in miami and get fiiiiired up to witness the man's live performance. He's one of a kind explosive, and pulls it off with style and grace.

I doubt reggae will even announce Sizzla as a no show until just before or during the festival, even if they already know he won't be making it. Pulling Assassin off the line up was done pretty quietly. I'm on the email list and didn't receive any notification... don't see any replacement added.. Either way like many have said, ROTR has a really exciting line up this year, and will be well worth the time for anyone who chooses to make the track.
July 14, 2016 06:38PM
Whatever happened to that "Reggae Compassionate Act" that Capleton, Sizzla, and Anthony B signed years ago? I guess that was just a symbolic gesture or whatever on the part of the artists since Sizzla has played nuff shows since then with lots and lots of homophobic speech...Do these european promoters have their heads in the sand?? This guy ain't gonna change...he may tone down his performances some -especially if he signs a contract saying he won't chant homophobic lyrics- but deep down his hatred for the gays will always be there. I would venture to say he will not play ROTR.
July 14, 2016 09:36PM
I don't know anyone who thinks that Sizzla will actually be at ROTR this year. Going to be an epic night if he does make it though. I don't agree with a lot that Sizzla represents but learned that I don't agree with a lot of people in life recently and that does not make them bad people or not worth spending time with or getting to know. Just don't let that person affect your core values and what is important to you and what you believe in.
July 14, 2016 09:46PM
It's easy for me to say with certainty that anyone who professes a hatred of people solely because they are homosexual is an idiot. Don't give me the religious argument, if you believe in religion you should also believe that your god made those people the way they are also, they are god's children and not yours to condemn. Thing is, most of the people in the world are idiots about something. Sizzla is obviously a great performer who i would like to see. I hope he doesn't say anything stupid while performing, but he would certainly not be the first to do so. His words will speak for themselves, as will his performance. I'm still leaning toward he will be there. I don't believe in pre punishing someone for something they might do. If he goes off in the United States about gays, it will probably be his last show here. And if he licks the blow off the knife like Buju, he'll end up in the slammer too.

Love that reggae!
July 14, 2016 10:22PM
Is it for certain that Buju did that Carl? I have wanted to believe his innocence for a long long time. Sadly I don't think he is innocent even though I want him to be because his music was one of the first I fell in love with after SNWMF 2008 which was my second festival ever.
July 14, 2016 11:03PM
well they had video of him licking the knife after the narc cut open a package with it. complete setup in a wired up warehouse. complete BS made up crime. but i do believe he did do it and if he'd said no from the get go he'd be free.

Love that reggae!
July 15, 2016 01:57AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 02:39PM by IYah_Trod.
July 15, 2016 02:57AM
I don't think Buju is a coke head or anything, and in this instance he may have been set up, but as nomo said he made the choice to go through with it and now he's paying the price. I do feel a bit sorry for him though, I'm sure reggae music wasn't exactly paying the bills for him and along comes this chance to make a little extra money and it bit him in the arse. I'm not condoning his actions, but I kinda understand the circumstances that may have led up to it.

As for Sizzla, I don't understand why so many think he won't be here. I'm counting on seeing him and looking forward to it. And I don't care about his core beliefs, they're shared by many other reggae musicians whom we know and love, but I think his good works overshadow them. As long as he/they don't come with some hate speech, that just isn't cool. I learned a while ago to listen and feel the reggae music, but never idolize rasta, they're just fallible people like the rest of us...
AJ
July 15, 2016 12:56PM
Anybody know of any other dates for U Roy and/or Big Youth?

Thanks.

Cheers
July 15, 2016 02:11PM
Buju was set up.

Big Youth is playing in Huntington Beach soon.
July 15, 2016 06:57PM
Buju met a dude on an airplane and trusted him enough to to buy 5 kilos of coke. We was kind of set up and kind of down to make some $$$ since half of his tour was cancelled due to the LGBT groups. He made a huge mistake and it cost him.
July 15, 2016 09:51PM
Really? Is this guy serious?! confused smiley
jcom
ROTR's lineup this year has to be the worst I've ever seen for a 3 day Cali fest, let alone ROTR, which should be near the top. Someone really dropped a turd in the punch bowl on this one. Glad I'm not in this year.
July 15, 2016 10:37PM
I'm definitely looking forward to this years lineup.. I think the energy and vibe will be felt for sure.. I wish Chronixx and Dre Island were on it too..
July 16, 2016 03:48PM
westafari
Buju met a dude on an airplane and trusted him enough to to buy 5 kilos of coke. We was kind of set up and kind of down to make some $$$ since half of his tour was cancelled due to the LGBT groups. He made a huge mistake and it cost him.

Ehhh thats not the story I read..
July 16, 2016 11:42PM
Sorry RinsedRiddims, whatever you heard, this is the true story. He met a high payed US snitch on an airplane trip from Spain.

Quote: "Banton's troubles began on a flight from Spain to the United States in 2009. Banton had the ill fortune to sit next to an informer who has earned $3.3 million in the last 14 years working for federal agents"

Read this article. This is the truth.

[www.tampabay.com]
July 17, 2016 07:02AM
Sizzla being cancelled in belgium actually makes it more likely that he will be at the river... still a VERY SLIM chance but if he gets his papers he doesnt have to worry about a crazy 24 hour trip to get here

Respect Same Way
July 17, 2016 05:14PM
Sizzla has spoken about the show in interviews so he thinks he's going. I know the booking agent is working hard and a lawyer that specializes in work Visa has been hired. I think he will make it. The last time his visa was not issued was due to the paper work being filed wrong so hopefully they get their @#$%& together and do it proper. I think he will be there and Im looking forward to the show.
July 19, 2016 05:05PM
westafari
Sorry RinsedRiddims, whatever you heard, this is the true story. He met a high payed US snitch on an airplane trip from Spain.

Quote: "Banton's troubles began on a flight from Spain to the United States in 2009. Banton had the ill fortune to sit next to an informer who has earned $3.3 million in the last 14 years working for federal agents"

[www.tampabay.com]

yes I read that a while ago... But any news source that immediately has an article below it that links to Kim Kardashian should be taken with a grain of salt (like all news media in this country).

All in all what I have read over the various reports sounds a bit entrap (not a word but I like it). Someone had it in for him, maybe he got tempted a bit too but there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in the reports. Plus truth is only truth if you believe it.

Buju should be on the Jamrock cruise like every other JA artist that cannot play in the USA.. not sitting in jail for alleged drug crimes.
July 19, 2016 05:33PM
Buju is right where he should be, in jail. Too bad, because I really like much of his music. Talent is no replacement for common sense, though. He tried to parlay a big pile of cash into a bigger pile of cash and he let greed blind him to the risks. An object lesson for us all...
July 19, 2016 05:44PM
No none should be in jail on drug charges.. The drugs are done by the politicians and people in power that put the dealers in jail. The people in power create the black market then make more money by exploiting it while still doing all the drugs they buy from the very people they put in jail.
July 19, 2016 06:54PM
RinsedRiddims
westafari

[www.tampabay.com]

yes I read that a while ago... But any news source that immediately has an article below it that links to Kim Kardashian should be taken with a grain of salt (like all news media in this country).

All in all what I have read over the various reports sounds a bit entrap (not a word but I like it). Someone had it in for him, maybe he got tempted a bit too but there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in the reports. Plus truth is only truth if you believe it.

Buju should be on the Jamrock cruise like every other JA artist that cannot play in the USA.. not sitting in jail for alleged drug crimes.
This is just an assinine statement. Truth is truth if its true and factual, failure to not recognize facts is just choosing ignorance. Lots of kids believe Santa and the Easter bunny are real, does that make them true because children believe it? This whole thing comes down to failure of accountability. Buju might have been set up, but he took the bait and that is his fault alone. Love the mans music and message, but im not blind to peoples demons either. How do you feel about the guys on to catch a predator? They are set up and entraped through cohersion and lies, does that make the pedophiles innocent, should they be given a free pass on their intentions because they were set up, or should they be held accountable for their actions?
July 19, 2016 06:58PM
cosign EBH.. when dealing in the belly of the beast you have to walk accordingly.

if buju read up a scripture a day then he would know..

"shrewd as a snake... "

you know the rest..

east bay herbalist
RinsedRiddims
westafari

[www.tampabay.com]

This is just an assinine statement. Truth is truth if its true and factual, failure to not recognize facts is just choosing ignorance. Lots of kids believe Santa and the Easter bunny are real, does that make them true because children believe it? This whole thing comes down to failure of accountability. Buju might have been set up, but he took the bait and that is his fault alone. Love the mans music and message, but im not blind to peoples demons either. How do you feel about the guys on to catch a predator? They are set up and entraped through cohersion and lies, does that make the pedophiles innocent, should they be given a free pass on their intentions because they were set up, or should they be held accountable for their actions?
July 19, 2016 08:57PM
You obviously have never read any philosophy or look past script and take everything as black and white.

People here believe that their vote counts so yeah that's about as truthful as the Easter bunny being real. "If voting mattered they would not let you do it" Mark Twain

And yeah if you believe Santa is real then he is ... people believe all sorts of dubious people are real and they live by it every day... They are real to them.

Won't even touch the comparison of that other stuff.

Anyways back to the most important fact... Buju is amazing and I am looking forward to seeing him again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 08:59PM by RinsedRiddims.
July 19, 2016 09:14PM
There you go man enjoy : [philosophytalk.org]

"Sometimes it's alright to believe what is merely approximately true -- but only if you can't do better or don't need to do better given your purposes."
July 19, 2016 09:24PM
RinsedRiddims
...I am looking forward to seeing him again.

visiting days are Saturday, Sunday and federal holidays.
July 19, 2016 09:57PM
"People here believe that their vote counts so yeah that's about as truthful as the Easter bunny being real."

Bad example Rinsed, every vote does count. The reason you think one's doesn't is because so many vote that one is a small voice. But i have personal proof that this is false. In the 1980's, i was one of the optimists who actively campaigned to stop smoking in the workplace in San Francisco, for the original law that was passed. After months of work, talking to individuals, spending many hours at a cold booth, and chanting, Tell the Tobacco Companies To Butt Out, the law passed by 500 little votes. Thats a number we can all relate to, and i may have been responsible for a couple hundred of those votes. As soon as the law passed in San Fran, other cities took it up, and finally the state. So now we can appreciate fresh air in bars and music venues and restaurants, and i know it's partially because of my efforts. Votes count, and they add up, do not minimize this.

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2016 11:23PM
No one in America Votes for a president... they suggest to someone who they think should be president. I did not minimize it.. Mark Twain did a long time ago. And in the end.. no matter who is voted for... the same family's still run the country making our votes and arguments about a president and political party pretty void.. If you are Koch or Rothschild your vote counts.

Congratulations on helping to change the smoking law that is a great achievement now please do it with drinking.

Mulligan,,, He will be out one day and playing in JA again.. then we can see him on a Saturday night smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 11:24PM by RinsedRiddims.
July 22, 2016 09:51PM
I don't feel are votes count either Nomo, after what is going on with Hilary I do not see how our votes count. It should be Bernie and Trump yet Hilary has bought herself the opportunity to run as the Democratic candidate. I mean there is proof she is a criminal and many many states the popular vote was for Bernie yet the super delegates still gave Hilary the support. I am starting to lose faith in our Country big time
July 22, 2016 10:29PM
@ Rossta-- "Starting" to lose faith in "our" country? Lol, I lost faith years & years ago!
July 22, 2016 11:58PM
the reason you don't think your vote counts is what you read in the media, some of which is accurate and some of which is patently false. If Hillary had done anything criminal she would have been charged long ago, in my opinion that is made up right wing fiction. It is true that many don't 'like' her. But compared to the racist idiocy coming out of Herr Drumpf, there's really no choice for me. That vacancy on the supreme court looms large. The primaries are run using party rules, if you choose to vote democratic, it's their rules, if republican there is a different set of rules. Not so in the general election. Since Hillary polls with a 30 point advantage here in Cali there are probably some discouraged republicans here.

Love that reggae!
July 23, 2016 01:41AM
Hey nomo, if you're recording at ROTR, I encourage you to catch Gappy Ranks on Friday and Million Stylez on Saturday. 2 top-notch high energy artists!
July 23, 2016 02:01AM
they are both on my tentative list reggabe.

Love that reggae!
July 23, 2016 10:04AM
Gappy Ranks. thumbs up

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 23, 2016 06:09PM
Every vote counts... I vote for reggae!
July 23, 2016 07:39PM
HiGrade1
Gappy Ranks. thumbs up

Gappy - Million - LionD - Assasin/Sasco - Mr Williams ~>>> Line up Nice as I would say thumbs upthumbs up
Not to mention the Soul Syn. Showcase & Sizzla (maybe from what I keep hearing???)
My only complaint is...I wish there was a/or a couple of bigger named Sound systems for the Late Night Scene. A European -Jamaican - NY Sound...
See you all Pon the RIVER smiling smiley

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
July 23, 2016 07:58PM
Sapo, unfortunately Assasin has been off the line-up for quite some time now. sad smiley

July 23, 2016 08:02PM
Line-up is still straight FYA! hot smiley

July 23, 2016 10:06PM
Danny Crucial
Sapo, unfortunately Assasin has been off the line-up for quite some time now. sad smiley

Well S#!t... Guess it's time to crawl outa this rock I've hiding under! thumbs down
Just saw Father DownBeat was in Oroville this Morning... If I'd known that he was booked for Friday I would've Def made the trek for the evening just catch that sad smiley

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
July 25, 2016 07:39PM
Hearing rumblings that Sizzla acquired his visa.

July 25, 2016 07:48PM
DJ Treez
Hearing rumblings that Sizzla acquired his visa.

I heard ROTR was going to make an official statement regarding Sizzla any time now...hopefully they will echo what you have just stated!
July 26, 2016 12:59AM
July 26, 2016 01:30AM
That's exciting smiling smiley
July 26, 2016 06:38AM
Great news. I hope he gets on stage now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login