Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reasonings & Reviews on '16 ROTR?

Posted by IRIEMON 
Reasonings & Reviews on '16 ROTR?
August 07, 2016 10:06PM
I had to last minute cancel for this year's fest, but caught Sizzla's live set on Youtube. Looked like a packed Saturday night crowd. Perhaps the record for pull-ups was broken, as it seemed he was even pulling up his pull ups? General consensus was that Sizzla's backing band wasn't the full Fire House Crew as advertised. Yellowman drummer filling in. Youtube bloggers reporting veiled anti-gay references during his set (undetected by my ears). Couldn't help but notice the oversized Pride flag being waved near Stage right. Looked dark, dusty & cold for the season. So how was it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2016 10:15PM by IRIEMON.
Re: Reasonings & Reviews on '16 ROTR?
August 08, 2016 12:14AM
Pretty sure that was not Fire House. Sizzla was on point, but the band was not rehearsed and at one point that guy with the backpack that kept coming on stage went to the bassie and drummie telling them to pick up the tempo. The rainbow flag on stage left surely tested Sizzla's ability to bite his tongue. I was bummed on all of the anti-gay comments on the YouTube streams comment thread. I didn't hear him say anything outright hateful, but it did seem as though he was being a bit sarcastic when he would, "say love and unity for everyone", or something to that effect, over and over again.

On a funny note, there was some person on the YouTube commentary that logged in ~1AM PST preaching a bunch of bible stuff and saying that Rasta was the devil and this and that. It came out of nowhere and somewhat comical as the rest of the people including ROTR quickly shut that person down. Overall, I thought Sizzla brought a solid performance, just wish it had been with the real Fire House Band.
August 08, 2016 03:32AM
Sorry to say, but I was not impressed with Sizzla. I went up just for the day and ended up falling asleep during his set. Place was definitely packed. To me so far the Polynesians Marty Dread and House of Shem stole the show both with music and vibes. Fatoumata Diawara crushed it too.
August 08, 2016 01:56PM
August 08, 2016 08:38PM
Here's my quick review, overall, a great show with diverse acts almost all of which i enjoyed, capped off by a long set by Sizzla saturday night. Loved Dubtonic Kru, New Kingston, Protoje, Sizzla, Jah9, Jesse Royal (awesome set). Lighting and sound were on point, and a special thanks to Loren for fixing the fill speakers in the middle of the photo pit when they weren't on friday afternoon.

Love that reggae!
August 08, 2016 09:25PM
What a joy to spend 4 days with friends, great weather, and possibly my favorite lineup in years of festivals. Highlights for me were Protoje, Meleku completely destroyed it.... SIZZLA, Addis Pablo was a great meditation on Sunday morning, Randy Valentine at late night dancehall with JWS, Jesse Royal was really on point I thought. Kranium was not good and couldn't connect with the crowd, and Big youth was str8 comedy as always. Vibes were amazing all round.
August 08, 2016 09:51PM
Fatoumata Diawara was new to me and was simply amazing...wow! Such talent and vibes from such a beautiful woman.
August 08, 2016 10:17PM
I didn't attend but streamed a few sets on YouTube. My favorite set hands down was Jesse Royal. Also really enjoyed House of Shem. Gappy took a while to get warmed up but was good once he got in tune. Other favs were Addis Pablo and Mr. Williamz.

King Yellowman was rough, I have mad respect for him but that was hard to listen to. I also had high hopes for Ziggi Recado but was pretty disappointed with his live performance.

Haven't been to ROTR since 2006. Can't wait to get back there soon.
August 09, 2016 12:49AM
i was really impressed with Jesse, got to review the recordings. His set had a lot more fyah than his snwmf set. He can spit the lyrics. I also heard Meleku was great, but missed it.

Love that reggae!
August 09, 2016 05:18AM
I thought Sizzla was excellent and didn't notice it wasn't his band, they sounded good to me. I was very disappointed with the crowd participation and engagement during his set. It seems he wanted more energy as well, and made some comments to that effect. The same thing during Anthony B's and Protoje's sets. All of them had great energy and were on point, but their sets could have been better if the crowd engaged with the performers more. Sizzla basically said "bye" and walked off at the end of his set, and it seemed the crowd barely noticed or acknowledged him, let alone called for an encore. In fact I can't remember any encores all weekend, so maybe that was the protocol for the whole weekend. It just seemed strange to me. Also that lady who was the MC was absolutely terrible and should not be allowed to introduce performers. I don't care how important she is for the festival, she was a vibe killer and they need to hire professional MC's!

I also really enjoyed the entire Soul Syndicate showcase, highlighted by Randy Valentine & U-Roy back to back. I thought Ziggi Recado was good, and also really liked Jesse Royal, although I only caught part of his set. I will definitely be checking on him more often in the future.
August 09, 2016 03:59PM
Reggae went off really nice this year. Things seemed to be flowing smoothly for the most part. Million Styles didn't make it because of Visa issues, but it's hard to complain about that considering that Sizzla did make it, and tore down da place! I hadn't seen Sizzla live before. Some people i talked to said it seemed like he was holding back a bit. I could see that a little bit too. My impression after witnessing his set is that Sizzla on half energy is a better show than most at their full power. Pure Fiya. The moment he came out on stage was electric. Everybody in the place was going nuts. We need more performers and shows who can bring that kind of crowd reaction..

I thought Protoje had a great set. It was way more confident and engaging than his show I saw last year in Arcata. You could tell he was stoked to be here. New Kingston always delivers, and didn't disappoint. I love watching proud papa bassy smile as his youth tear it up. Jah 9 played a deep,powerful set. It was great to hear so much new material. I'm loving her direction. Soul Syndicate, the whole thing was niiiiice! one of the highlights for sure. Also Meleku represented tuff at 19 years old. The dubbadubs crew spontaneously backing him as his dj didn't make it.. They held the instrumentals down really well with no rehearsal.

The most stand out sets to me were Jah 9, Sizzla, Addis, Mr. Williams, Jesse Royal, and portions of Soul Syndicate.

One thing I'd like to touch on; It was a great honor to witness opening ceremony sets by the man called Profi and his Nyabinghi family. Over any set of reggae music this weekend, these 2 opening sets meant the most to me. However, during sunday's Binghi set, they were cut off in a very rude way, barely even acknowledged, and then rushed off stage as someone started talking about Rod Deal. This, to me, was a great dishonor, and spoke to me a lot about the state of Reggae and it's supporters out here in the emerald triangle. During the opening ceremony, so much is mentioned about honoring our ancestors. Many ways are honored. The Native American portion of the ceremony is always given full time and respect. I'm sure they would never consider walking out and talking over that portion of the ceremony while the musicians were in mid song. Yet, here we had one of the true living Guru's of Rastafari, Profi, present to bring forth a representation of the roots of spirituality and prayer that created the space for reggae music to exist, and the organizers are tapping their toes side stage ready to get them off ASAP so they can ramble on about Rod Deal for the thousandth time. No disrespect to Rod Deal... I just was blown away at the hypocrisy and over all insensitivity of the stage staff to the true prayer that was occurring. It's important for people who love reggae to remember that there would be no Reggae as we know it without Rastafari, where as Rastafari Livity would be fully present with or without Reggae. If you love the fruit, why you poison the fruit tree same time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 04:03PM by rootsthroughsidewalks.
August 09, 2016 04:59PM
Consider the ROTR Sat Night Headliners 2016 Yellowman and Sizzla performance to an outside observer out of context.

Yellowmans performance was : ???

Sizzla's performance was : Pull UP, not representative of his talent, status and catalog, Pull Up, Pull Up, turn the band up; guitar, horns??

Your thoughts reggae lovers? Way different vibe 8 years ago? lots of questions sorry
August 09, 2016 06:04PM
Once again, I was an armchair warrior streaming from afar...but the stream was great and Saturday was awesome, pretty much all day. Spent the day gardening with the volume way up, but Yellowman was painful to listen to and actually was turned off for a while.

Highlights around here were Protoje, the whole Soul Syndicate showcase on Saturday, Fatoumata Diawara, Addis Pablo, and Jesse Royal. Big things from Jesse Royal again. No Maddz and New Kingston sounded great, and were noted by my teenage daughter as she wandered thru.

Sizzla was really good, but not as powerful as his set at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz years ago. He definitely was holding back some, and the drum/bass combo seemed a bit under-hyped. That said, I thought it was great top see him spitting lyrics non-stop. He's got a huge catalog and could go much longer than he did. Loved the rainbow flag waving in the audience.

Big up the Mateel Center from hosting a good web stream. Nice camerawork and decent sound with fewer dropouts than previous years. I think the stream is great promotion for the center, which does good work in the community year-round.
August 09, 2016 09:28PM
Ouch Yellowman!! Legend and respect but I stopped seeing him live about 10 years ago...

I am sure every dancehall artist must tone it down a bit when they show up in California. I lived in Houston for a while and the west Indian population was the reggae scene.. I was the only white boy, but had amazing times seeing many JA artists in small venues go full force... Highlight was Capleton and Coco Tea in a defunct Palais Royale department store at 5am... Capleton did not hold back and Cocoa Tea killed it. Buju at a small club was also amazing. But when I moved back to California I had to adjust myself accordingly... "Old people" reggae headlining every festival, mixed feelings on dancehall in general, and something that I still don't get is popular is that Cali Roots sound (no originality). Different agenda for sure here than most places in the world.

After I saw Raging Fyah a few weeks ago I spoke to Kumar for a bit (lead singer for those who don't know) and he told me that he is afraid that his bands sound is too "roots" for California. I was actually shocked! I grew up on roots here What is the perception on reggae here now? He was so complimentary on European fans.. his comment to me was "They get it." WTF! I get it (granted I am a citizen of England but consider myself California) and so do a lot of people on here. He then went on to tell me about a show Raging Fyah was playing with "Stick Figure" (again wtf ) and how I should come... All I could think was don't change your sound to try and accommodate, you are one of the only true reggae bands that are making music roots music (good roots).

I just cannot wait for the Welcome To Jamrock Cruise and see some banned artists playing what they want how they want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 09:30PM by RinsedRiddims.
August 09, 2016 10:14PM
Amazing weekend with friends and family. First time doing the 4 day experience and I highly recommend it, full emersion.

My favs were the Sugarcane Records showcase (Dubtonic, Raphael, Lion D & Jah Sun) and the Soul Syndicate showcase (U Roy, Earl Zero, Randy Valentine, Marty Dread, Mad Professor & Big Youth with Fully and krew backing). Jesse Royal killed it and was much higher energy than last year's set. I really missed Million Stylez. Mr Williamz set was niceness but he practically got pulled off with an umbrella by the stage krew that for that one moment was hell bent on the schedule, it was not a good look from side stage, give the guy an extra couple minutes for crying out loud. Meleku's set was on point with a spiritual vibe and he is pleasantly humbler than most second generation artists in this business. I enjoyed Ziggi Recado's set, his band was way more on point than last time I saw him. Special mention for Addis, he really pulled off a vibe and a message with no lyrics whatsoever - respect. Protoje's set was nice, but I have seen him do better, maybe it was the song selection? Sizzla was on fire, but drummie was not familiar enough with the music and needed several prompts to pick up the tempo. I was as close as you could be without being on stage and there were no homophobic slurs or even vague references that I caught, I think we ALL noticed the rainbow flag - a nice touch if you ask me. I liked Anthony B's set a little more as his band was on fire and his stage energy was off the charts. As usual I missed several sets on my must see list including Keznamdi, House of Shem & Jah9 as I just couldn't make them all. I also missed Mad Professor at South Beach which according to everyone I talked to was AMAZING, it's too bad I am too old for the after parties.

Can't wait till next year!

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 09, 2016 11:44PM
DJ Treez - What night did Mad Professor play at South Beach?
August 09, 2016 11:56PM
He played Saturday night along with Gabby Ranks and Randy Valentine.
August 10, 2016 12:29AM
ROTR WAS A MASSIVE SUCCESS! I loved Sizzla! The crowd energy was kinda low. I found myself at times trying to get them hyped as I did last year during Congos. Overall everyone was very appreciative and responsive, just not FIRED up as they could have been. I am very impressed "again" with the runnings of this great festival. Line-up was packed, weather was sweet, volunteer camp was epic, the press tent is amazing, and the people are just wonderful! I can't wait till next year! SNWMF ROTR 4 LIFE!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
August 10, 2016 03:20AM
August 10, 2016 05:20AM
This was such a blessed show.. Jesse royal hands down took the best show to me too.. Sizzla did a longer set than anyone else did.. His energy was insane.. Anthony B doing Imagine was magical straight up.. Almost brings a tear to my eyes it felt so good.. This was only my 2nd trip to Rotr last one was 2006.. I thought this whole experience was amazing! I got to meet some really cool folks from everywhere! I feel so blessed to have made it out this year.. Give thanks and blessings to all
August 10, 2016 05:49AM
yes Danny I was doing the same thing. Crowd was appreciative, but they needed to be more FIRED UP! It makes for a much better overall experience when the the audience is engaged with the performers on stage!

I'm bummed I missed the Jah Warrior set with Gappy & Randy at South Beach. I was at the Bus which was fun but I bet that was pure Fiya!
August 10, 2016 03:10PM
Sizzla killed it! My favorite set for sure, he was on for around an hour and forty five minutes and I don't feel like he even got close to playing everything he had. The ending was abrupt but other than that it was complete fire! I'm surprised nobody mentioned Keznamdi yet because his set was probably my second favorite followed by Jesse Royal and Anthony B. Kranium was terrible and I was glad to see nobody else in the crowd liked it either. You could tell he could not do anything to connect with the crowd. The guy has some talent but no lyrical substance at all to go along with it, the worst headliner ever at any reggae festival I have ever been to. Really wish Randy Valentine would have had some more time!
August 10, 2016 06:45PM
Reduced to the Rotr live stream, I give thanks for being able to enjoy the fest while churning butta here in Austin: my two cents : hands down killed it :New Kingston - they played at times a more acoustic vibe that played well inna Humboldt and surpassed their performance at Sierra Nevada...as Andy Bassford said "if anyone's on the bill with them , they better bring it" ...Fatamoura Diara - incredible artist - she appeared onstage mashing down 'Female genital mutilation' - quite a shock to Western ears I'm sure
..I watched the first part of her set in 2013 at Sierra until I had to catch flight and I regretted every minute I missed ...was just mesmerized watching her gyration celebration...love this woman from Mali big time..she is a beauty to behold .....a comment on Sizzla and maybe I'm preaching to the choir but to say his 2016 set didn't come close to his 1996 set with the Firehouse crew is a massive understatement...and all the apologists will say yeah that was 20 years ago but Ras like Big Youth and Ken Boothe and URoy bring it as good or better than they did 20 years ago...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 06:47PM by papaken.
August 10, 2016 07:34PM
can't get hype out of a crowd if the artist can't hype the crowd... smdh.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 10, 2016 07:40PM
Ken Boothe, sure. but the same can not be said for URoy and Big Youth on friday, whos performances were not good at all.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
August 10, 2016 08:58PM
papaken
quite a shock to Western ears I'm sure

is this an issue in our anglo-saxon judeao-christian based society ? i dont think so.. so yeah, it would be a shock.. i think the braver statement would be for her
to make these comments where its actually happening.
while awareness is a good thing, at the end of the day neo-stoners only care about dabs, oils, and bricks. so the message probably went in one and out the other.
as the scriptures say, "dont cast your pearls.."
plus, when monday comes around everyone is back to work, and the weekend messages are lost with the lingering hangover.
this misdirection of rage towards the western audience is weird.. its akin to someone who cant lash out at one person so they find
a substitute person. with the substitute having no skin in the game so there is no reaction. its a safe target.
try this same "gyration" and protest in certain global regions, and the response is lethal. literally.

papaken
like Big Youth and Ken Boothe and URoy bring it as good or better than they did 20 years ago...

reggae music is losing it's appeal. the old guard is transitioning one by one every month. the new guard is filled
with snowflakes. snowflakes who separate themselves based on who wears joradns or who wears lebrons.
marcus garvery stood for the resurrection of that mighty race. he stood for industry. commitment. honor.
he did not stand AND die for this division based on foolery and material!!
August 10, 2016 09:35PM
best fest inna long time... after days of deep reflection I think Sizzlas set might be the best Ive ever seen in any genre of music in my 30 years of going to shows
a few artists were major disappointments but no need to dwell on that

Respect Same Way
August 10, 2016 09:55PM
Wow , taho, honestly respect your take on most things , will have to check what I can on Sizzla's set to convince me otherwise ....
August 10, 2016 10:43PM
i would say that sizzla show was in my top five reggae shows. i got some great video and audio of his set, i was telling my buddy before the show that if i walked out of there with a whole Sizzla show on four cameras i would be stoked. Also got all of Jesse Royal, will try and get out some clips soon.

Love that reggae!
August 11, 2016 01:23AM
I was wondering why Kranium was headlining. I never heard of him before this show. Glad I chose sleep instead, sounds like it more exciting anyway! smiling smiley

August 11, 2016 02:33PM
I've watched the Sizzla live stream feed a couple times on Youtube now, and I was there to see it in person as well. I 100% agree that this was one of the best shows at ROTR, and definitely a solid performance by the man himself. I saw each of his last 3 performances at ROTR over the last 10+ years (this being the 3rd), and this was my favorite. He was talkative, friendly and did not phone it in at any point.

The pull ups were well timed, and unlike Capleton, not often used as an excuse to jump to the next song snippet. Yes, the backing band was a little soft, but I actually enjoyed the moments when they were changing the tempo mid-song, it gave a trippy effect and did not slow Sizzla down.

My standout moments are:

1. Teasing the Black Woman and Child riddim and lyrics out of the ether. They really built the song up, it was very cool.

2. The final two songs, "New Day" and "Rasta Man Chant". With his energy, bible quoting, and the organ in the background, he sounded like a preacher at an old time revival. It was great, and the lyrics of RMC never seemed more relevant with the current state of the world. He closed the concert down in style.

I do not think there were any ganja songs. No "smoking marijuana"', "got it right here", etc.

Great job by the festival on the live feed camera and drone work. Some of the best reggae concert footage I have seen in a long time.

Finally, I also enjoyed the long haired MC with the goofy sense of humor. That dude has some style. Who is he?
August 11, 2016 04:02PM
The long haired MC goes by "Little Kidd Lost". He is a local hip hop rap artist. He grew up here in So Hum............ Real name is Eli Fowler. I saw him this past year and knew he would be good as an emcee for ROTR! He did great!!!!
August 11, 2016 11:13PM
He was good for daytime acts, but you need to have someone else for the headliners... Having him or that lady with the screechy voice (who i swear her mic was turned up extra loud AND she yelled into it) introducing the likes of Sizzla or Anthony B just doesn't cut it. No disrespect intended to Little Kid Lost, but big names need to be introduced by someone bigger than the local guy. Spliff Skankin' Rocky Bailey Junor Francis even Irie Dole would be more appropriate for that position. Maybe after many years he might get to that kind of position, but in the meantime ya'll need someone with much more experience to hold down those night time MC duties...

p.s. please leave your bong (and any references to it) OFF of the stage... even if it's "allowed", it's just unprofessional looking.

August 11, 2016 11:42PM
Yo...anyone know who was spinning at the teepee sound system Sunday night (technically Monday around 2-3am)? His set was ridiculous.

*thanks in advance smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2016 02:42AM by zonk675.
August 11, 2016 11:54PM
ROTR 2016 = WELL NICE !!!
TOP 5

1) Of the 3 times I've seen Sizzla (all 3 @ ROTR) This was by far the Best IMO! Nice Rootsy & Classics Song Selection... Virtually no Dancehall Tunes.
2) Since my 1st ROTR in 2003 Anthony B has not been able to come remotely close to his performance of the 20th anniversary (IMO) Im glad I chose not to to miss his closing set and by far (FINALLY) surpassed 03! Big up Anthony B... But I hope I don't have wait another 13yrs to see another wicked performance from him winking smiley
3) Sister Carol - Another artist Ive seen X amount of times... Sometimes hit and miss (for me) But this time really brought it Lyrically & Musically! Big up MAMA CAROL!
4) Ziggy Ricado - Thought his set was really good and hope to see him around more!
5) Lion D & Raphael - I really liked that they where both on stage & backing each other switching up every other tune or 2.Wicked Set from the Italian Crew!

Didn't really go over to So. Beach... Wish I would have for JWS but so it go.
IMO MID/Center Beach after party has more of the "Old School" ROTR Roots Vibes. Big Up CB & Crew! Best Late Night set Again goes to the Legendary Massive Sounds Spliff Skankin! Wicked Draw After Wicked draw... All Vinyl!

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
August 12, 2016 07:08PM
i thought Kranium was excellent. not at all what I had expected. he was very good with the audience, had them eating out his hand. the tunes were more lovers an roots thatn the dancehall that he's more well known for (of which i know hardly anything).

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 12, 2016 08:21PM
zonk675
Yo...anyone know who was spinning at the teepee sound system Sunday night (technically Monday around 2-3am)? His set was ridiculous.

Spliff Skankin of KPFA/Massive Sound International
August 12, 2016 08:34PM
Ras Danny
i thought Kranium was excellent. not at all what I had expected. he was very good with the audience, had them eating out his hand. the tunes were more lovers an roots thatn the dancehall that he's more well known for (of which i know hardly anything).

Wow....I guess I will have to check the youtube if I can find it. Didn't seem like anyone except some ladies up from were paying attention at all from where I was standing.
August 13, 2016 06:08AM
Kranium was horrific IMHO. His vocals were like mediocre karoke at best. The only good part of the set to me was when Gappy came on stage and killed it. It was kinda sad, cause you could tell that Kranium knew he was out classed and just kinda stood off to the side. How he headlined over Big Youth is about as much of a mystery as how we have an Orangutan vs. a trained monkey running for Commander In Chief of this nation. Sizzla's voice could have been a bit cleaner, but his energy is was Tesla-like. Soooooooo glad I did not miss that historic event. Yellowman I love you! Talk about energy! He hasnt lost a step! Amazing performer. That being sad, his voice is way gone. sad smiley Jah9 is powerfully mystic! Kinda weird that she also played "Imagine'. Ziggi was fyah. Keznamdi was ok, I have seen better from him. Jesse Royal crushed. House Of Shem OMG! Rough! These guys can jam! Addis to me, sorry, was a tad boring. I mean he was good, but a whole set of just melodica was..........zzz. I think the highlight, or at least a major one for me, was Sizzla in the press tent. He was one of the most intelligent, poised, eloquently spoken, engaging, & charismatic people I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with. I mean maybe he was just posturing for the press, but to me he said all the right things and carried himself with a high level of class. I will be catching Sizzla at every given opportunity. Another huge highlight was seeing my festy fam and friends. Tahoe, Sis Lisha, Mr. Black, Mark Dailey, medocoastrees, nomotrouble, mamacali, Ras Danny, 420plenty, DJTreez, Daddy Spleece & Linda, Postman, Carmelita Harris, more that I may be forgetting. Missed Juan Love and Carlos Culture. ROTR was pure magic. smileys with beer

August 13, 2016 09:16AM
For those i did see on my brief time pon di river, it was good to see you all. Bless up mi reggae family! I was only there for Sattaday and Sunday afternoon. Besides seeing friends, the hilites for me were Sizzla, Mr. Williamz, and hearing our dubplates playing pon di mighty VOiD system that Basscraft had pumping at South Beach. It was nice to be back at the river after a six year hiatus... Big up all those who made it happen, be it on the folks who put it together and to all those who make the vibes so nice.....

August 13, 2016 07:07PM
DJ Jacques : WBLK Dancehall Massive
zonk675

Spliff Skankin of KPFA/Massive Sound International

Thanks for that info. Now all I gotta do is find some mixes from that dude grinning smiley
August 14, 2016 04:55PM
My 24 yr old son says he looks forward to Sun nite because Spiff plays the music he likes and much prefers his style than what goes on in South Beach..............

If you want to check out some photos of the artists who performed this year.............

[www.flickr.com]
August 14, 2016 07:13PM
mamacali
My 24 yr old son says he looks forward to Sun nite because Spiff plays the music he likes and much prefers his style than what goes on in South Beach..............

If you want to check out some photos of the artists who performed this year.............

[www.flickr.com]

@MamaCali

August 16, 2016 05:35AM
@HiGrade - Big Youth was indeed a disappointment but I thought U-Roy was excellent!
August 16, 2016 06:08AM
i had a GREAT time at reggae on the river,it was good to meet old and new friends,i just kept an open mind about all of the music ,and still feel inspiration

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 06:39AM by madisimmons.
August 16, 2016 06:44PM
Just watched the Jesse Royal performance. Fantastic stuff.

respect
August 18, 2016 07:55AM
Anthony B had the best show. Sizzla was second best. Protoje's set was so boring. When you headline, please bring some energy. He is so tired sometimes. Weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2016 08:02AM by westafari.
August 18, 2016 09:04AM
madisimmons
i had a GREAT time at reggae on the river,it was good to meet old and new friends,i just kept an open mind about all of the music ,and still feel inspiration

You were a great MC!
August 19, 2016 12:25AM
My 2 cents:
Highlight of the weekend for me was Big Youth - his presence, humor, and style was just off the hook. By far my favorite performance. Loved how he dealt with that shrill, screaming MC (I totally agree with others, total buzzkill) at the end of his set. I could of easily listened to him all weekend. He looked like he was having so much fun up there! "Reggae on THE RIVA!!!"
Sizzla was also great. He really did bring it. Super clean, loved the selection of tunes and the energy. Super glad I saw that. Vocals were on point. Did wonder about the backing band, it wasn't who I remembered in the past... Also loved the flag waving during his set - that was classic.
Anthony B brought it as always. Delight to see him.
Kranium was terrible. It was like a total flashback from when Sean Paul brought his booty dancers. Painful. Gappy Ranks saved that set - wished he had that energy during his performance (although it was still very good). But yeah, Kranium... My cranium swam, and not in a good way.
Overall I would say it was a great set of shows. Vibes were great, nice temperatures and great being back at the old venue. Looking forward to next year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login