Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sizzla in Petaluma, CA

Posted by Mikey J. 
Sizzla in Petaluma, CA
August 17, 2016 03:44PM
I saw that the Cali Roots team is having Sizzla at the Mystic Theater in Petaluma in September. Can anyone confirm this? I'd love to make the drive up from Shell Beach.
Re: Sizzla in Petaluma, CA
August 17, 2016 03:56PM
Looks to be true....

August 17, 2016 09:00PM
Thanks Daniel! My day job is in the solar industry and our NorCal office is in Petaluma, so I think I need to schedule a trip to visit my NorCal team winking smiley
August 17, 2016 10:02PM
Only 40 at the Door, pack em in!
August 18, 2016 12:47AM

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 18, 2016 07:50AM
1015 Folsom is the worst venue in the Bay Area. Petaluma here I come.
August 18, 2016 02:47PM
looks like Potland on Thursday September 29 at the Hawthorne Theatre...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 18, 2016 05:22PM
Seattle Friday 9/30 Club Sur
August 19, 2016 12:31AM
hes playing santa cruz and LA as well if you dont wanna drive as far MikeyJ

Respect Same Way
August 19, 2016 02:48PM
Doing it again on 9/26/2016 at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz.
August 19, 2016 05:05PM
1015 vs The Mystic is comparable to our current presidential race
August 19, 2016 09:14PM
...and the Catalyst is a lot like Bill Clinton: Revered by many, hated by some, a little bit creepy, and definitely starting to show it's age....
August 20, 2016 04:56AM
I'm going to shoot for the show at The Catalyst.. I seen him back in the day there.. I hope everything continues to work out for him while he's in the US
August 22, 2016 03:18PM
Jahsprey
...and the Catalyst is a lot like Bill Clinton: Revered by many, hated by some, a little bit creepy, and definitely starting to show it's age....

So, live in the atrium , rightspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I would say the scales have tipped from hated by many, revered by ?? since old man Randall passed and the club was bought by club San Jose with how they run that place now. I saw its 16+ so the crowd will be divided down the middle of the club with traffic solutions plastic fence. My queen was felt up so hard by female security last time Sizzla played there that they removed a joint from inside her bra.
August 24, 2016 09:55PM
1015 cxled first.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 25, 2016 03:41PM
1015 Sizzla show was moved to 420 14th St. In Oakland, Ca. Oakland bettah anyway..
August 25, 2016 08:25PM
this the right place? don't see the show listed... VENUE Oakland - Calendar

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
August 25, 2016 09:25PM
I just read they're trying to cancel the Petaluma show and possibly the Santa Cruz show..
August 25, 2016 09:38PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2016 09:41PM by DJ Treez.
August 25, 2016 09:54PM
August 26, 2016 03:51PM
Calling it "murder music." That's some bull @#$%&.
August 26, 2016 05:28PM
Sizzla "snuck into" ROTR? He was announced months ahead of time! That Larson dude is a jackass...
August 27, 2016 03:47PM
The "Humboldt Pride" people had AT LEAST 3 months just to notice that Sizzla was the top name on the Reggae line up this year. They noticed literally the day before the festival. I listened to an hour long radio broadcast on Kmud last week which was a debate between "that larson dude" and one of the people responsible for booking Reggae on the River. It was frustrating and painful for me to listen to, but I forced myself to sit through the whole thing.

My impressions from it all.. First of all, the foundation of Larson's argument was "I google Sizzla and Homophobic and articles come up!"...... since when has google become someone's judge and jury? I'm sure if Larson googled his own name and homophobic, he'd find some articles as well... The articles he was referencing were all 10 years old... One would think that if a group of people were going to stand up and protest a performer's presence at a local festival after he had performed his set, they would at least listen back to his set in it's entirety to see if there were actually any offensive moments, or anything worth protesting. It was painfully clear that the pride group done NO research beyond googling Sizzla and Homophobic. I doubt they had even listened to one song of the man's work... They found 3 lines in all of Sizzla's thousands of songs that are definitively anti-gay.. These lines are obscure lines from obscure sizzla songs that I've personally never heard, while I listen to sizzla albums a lot and have a nice collection of his works. You would have to really dig to find the lyrics that these pride groups site as the reason for attempting to block Sizzla from playing in Humboldt, and the US as a whole. Sure, there are more recent you tube videos of shows in JA where Sizzla went off a little more... thus the cancellation of his reggae geel set this summer... Nevertheless, If one were to watch his set from Reggae on the River, and watch the interviews he did while he was in the US, he came off clean, and incredibly respectful. How many times during his set did the man say "peace and love, no crime, no violence"...

I can't rap my head around Sizzla Kalonji being categorized as "murder music". The biggest hypocrisy I see is that these same groups that protest Sizzla and call his music murder music don't care at all about the dirtiest gangsta rap shows coming through, nor the death metal, nor any of the other musics that clearly do encourage murderous behaviors consistently... Not that all Gangsta rap or Death Metal is giving people those ideas.... But nuff artists are within those darker genres..

I feel that banning artists from performing their works is a step in the wrong direction in to neo fascism.

But if you are gonna fight to get an artist banned, seriously, you gotta come up with better evidence then "I googled his name and homophobic and articles came up!" This kind of bull @#$%& would never hold up in a court, and quite frankly would never hold up in any format of debate. If they had listened to sizzla's set at reggae on the river, and his interviews, they would have a lot less to debate about...

I don't have a problem with anyone's choices in life, their sexual preference or whatever.... But I do have a problem with people trying to block one of my favorite musical artists from touring my home state, based on ignorance and intolerance of differences in points of view. The "Sizzla" who humboldt pride is fighting against does't exist. He's a creation of their own imaginations. They've made their judgement on him and that's that. On any level, with any movement, if people demand tolerance, acceptance and equality, they should allow others the same.
August 27, 2016 07:10PM
The fact that they didn't notice Sizzla being on the bill for as long as they did informs you something about how many individuals are involved in this. If they're going to be fair about it they have to protest every christian church in town. And they don't seem to be doing that. So i would say that the reason they are making a big fuss about this artist is to get media attention. And many people running a barely breaking even nightclub can't take the risk that they feel there is in ignoring the protests.

The idea that you get your data from the internet exclusively is ignorant. If you want info about Rick Santorum and google his name what do you get?

I strongly don't believe in prejudging people, and if i boycotted every artist who didn't share all of my beliefs i would never see any, of any genre. Sizzla put on a great show, was positive the whole time at Reggae on the River, you have to give a human a chance to do good. If the positivity of this experience leads him to stop homophobic ranting in public, the world will be a better place.

Love that reggae!
August 28, 2016 12:35AM
Im a sizzla fan and a believer in free speech but dude needs to either keep his mouth shut (Like he did at rotr for the most part) or this @#$%& will continue to happen...
Rootsthroughsidewalks: because im a big fan and dont wanna throw him under the bus I wont post or quote anything but hes actively running his mouth about burning out and spilling gay and lesbian blood on the regular even while hes been here in the states

I really hope the shows will go on...

Respect Same Way
August 28, 2016 02:34PM
He will play in LA so come south!

If you want the Homophobic patterns to stop then you have to go to the source,,, Religion. Start by protesting and banning Christians!
August 29, 2016 01:46AM
RinsedRiddims
He will play in LA so come south!

If you want the Homophobic patterns to stop then you have to go to the source,,, Religion. Start by protesting and banning Christians!

Rinse,

Your post is ignorant, dishonest, and cowardly.
Of those Christians that are accused of supposed 'hate speech', they often are found to have cited Old Testament passages.
These same passages are also recognized as scripture by the other two branches of the Abrahamic reglions.
So if you are true in your quest for going to the 'source' then you will also have to include Christianity's other Abrahamic siblings.
But you wont.

Here is why.

1. If you added the oldest Abrahamic branch to your list of hate-speech 'sources', then you probably be run up out of this board.
Simply because those who control this board and the most vocal on this board are ethnically and religiously tied to this branch. So you wouldnt dare burn your phorum bridges nor your insider ties to shows, distributions, networking, etc.

2. If you listed the youngest Abrahamic branch to your list, you open yourself up to being labeled an intolerant racist.
You also know the followers of #2 dont play. They take their beliefs serious. The Mosiac law is adhered to without fail.

So what shakes out is the safe ol Christianity.
BTW.. I know of numerous local Chrisitian volunteers that are now in Louisiana helping in flood relief.
What are you doing to lead by example outside of showcasing your latest dabs and oils techniques?
August 30, 2016 07:55PM
I thought he sounded horrible at RotR. IMO he peaked in the mid-90s.
August 30, 2016 11:14PM
August 30, 2016 11:17PM
Supposedly he lost his voice in early 2000's, but I thought he did a good job at ROTR. "Horrible" is a gross overstatement...
August 31, 2016 06:07PM
Full disclosure -- I am NOT a Sizzler fan. Never have been; never will be. His singing voice is awful; his message is antithetical to justice and fairness.

I wondered about Sizzler's performance at ROTR and why the LGBTQ community was relatively silent about his presence on the bill. I'd say the Humboldt group allowed Sizzler's performance to fly under the radar (through an oversight), rather than Sizzler sneaking into ROTR.

Big up to the owners of the venue's that have cancelled Sizzler's performances.
August 31, 2016 07:49PM
Walter

ballsy statement to make here what with the bigots thinking/living/ spewing anti-gay venom.
especially that central coast "dj".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2016 10:53PM by mulligan.
August 31, 2016 07:53PM
Walter say
Full disclosure -- I am NOT a Sizzler fan. Never have been; never will be. His singing voice is awful; his message is antithetical to justice and fairness.

thumbs up
August 31, 2016 08:12PM
Petaluma show Cancelled...
August 31, 2016 08:53PM
Wow, another show cancelled. Guess the LGBT heads ain't gonna stop till all of Sizzla's shows in the bay are cancelled. I'm sorry, but in a place like San Francisco and the bay area at large, where freedoms of all sorts are celebrated, I think it's pretty hypocritical to silence Sizzla or Capleton or Buju Banton for their own personal views. Even something that qualifies as "hate speech" is protected under the first amendment. Whether you agree with him or not, he is free to say what he wants.

I watched Sizzla's performance at ROTR and I felt like he was really holding back, compared to other live shows of his I've watched. It felt like he was concentrating immensely to not go off into any anti-gay tirades.
August 31, 2016 09:22PM
2 Thing:

The sick little brother has not come fully clean of his hate-red-eye towards our 2 Spirited siblings of variable gender I.D. Yea he half-heartedly tried to zigzag the gender issue to keep his visa & gigs happening - but he ain't fooling those who know ... where the luv in that? Nowhere in the Ily Bibby (Holy Bible) do you find Yasus curse his 2 Spirited children. Even Bob M and most of the reggae pioneers had the sense to not go there.

Next thing ... late 1970's a certain Jamaican DJ sabotage sweet roots reggae and start steer it in the direction of the Jamaican gangsta rap & lady gaga sh*thole it now in large part become ... Sizzle a major part of that corruption

Incidentally back in the day 'gaga' meant to vomit
August 31, 2016 11:19PM
Reggabe
Supposedly he lost his voice in early 2000's, but I thought he did a good job at ROTR. "Horrible" is a gross overstatement...

OK, he sounded horrible *to me*. Your mileage may vary...
August 31, 2016 11:25PM
What a friggin' joke...
September 01, 2016 03:15AM
Don't see him listed on any of the Cali club's websites mentioned above
September 01, 2016 05:08AM
Walter, his name is Sizzla, not Sizzler. He is not named after some sh$ty restaurant in Santa Rosa. He is an artist and his name is Sizzla Kalonji. Please help this forum by spelling his name correctly. It will help your opinion in the future, I promise.
September 01, 2016 04:09PM
More like "Back In The USSR". Ha! Bunch of stalinists.
September 01, 2016 05:27PM
I was personally disappointed in his performance at rotr. I left after the 50th pull up and his comments to the drummer. The whole thing didn't impress me and didn't sound good to me. Just my preference, and I don't know his music very well.
As to his views on sexuality, I think free speech is a very important right to preserve - that means especially views I disagree with. I also think about Christ message regarding loving the sinner and casting stones. Shame that shows are being cancelled regardless, world needs more live music!
September 01, 2016 06:09PM
Strikkly say
More like "Back In The USSR". Ha! Bunch of stalinists.

Sense say
I think free speech is a very important right to preserve - that means especially views I disagree with.

A true! & inversely everyone have a right to say "Not on my dime ... I'm not supporting fraud culture"

On the topic of civil rights ... thru these weird times of media talking-heads, political candidates, demigods invisible & partially visible - let us all do our upmost to preserve the relative freedom we enjoy in the West ... the moaners & groaners & victimologists who diss the Western democracies need ask themselves why most of the peoples in this world would love to enjoy what we blessed with. I recently seen a wonderful movie pon Netflix 'The Good Lie' about three of the Lost Boys of Sudan making it to America ... Highly educational & entertaining too
September 01, 2016 06:32PM
Sizzla was amazing at Reggae On The River!! One of the best shows I have ever seen! This cancellation is complete bull @#$%&!
September 01, 2016 06:38PM
From an article on petaluma360.com we get this bull @#$%&!

Critics contend that the artist is part of a reggae movement known as “Murder Music,” which includes messaging that promotes violence against gay people, Carnivele said. A 2011 white paper by the Southern Poverty Law Center, a major civil rights group, linked the roots of the movement to an extremely conservative culture in Jamaica.

Thats funny, as an avid reggae fan I have never heard of the "murder music" movement.
September 01, 2016 08:40PM
I've heard of the "movement for life" aka protoje, chronixx, kabaka...
"Mi say a movement for life
Marcus said fi organize and centralize
Rasta fi own banks and enterprise
So me nah stop chant till me soul enter zion!!!!" -Chronixx "Eternal Fire"
September 03, 2016 03:01AM
People trying to make colonialist rules valid in modern America, chaaa!!!!
September 03, 2016 03:06AM
In backwards Jamaica the colonial government fines people for cursing you crybabies!!!! Clamoring for third world oppressive standards you idiots!!! People calling themselves activists fighting Sizzla Kalonji, you fake victims.
September 11, 2016 01:09AM
September 11, 2016 02:45PM
September 19, 2016 04:23PM
September 20, 2016 06:53PM
Is the Oakland show still on for Friday?
September 20, 2016 08:15PM
yes, as far as we know it is still on
September 22, 2016 09:49PM
JosephDaniel
"Even something that qualifies as "hate speech" is protected under the first amendment."

Actually, it is not:

The Supreme Court has ruled that certain categories of speech are excluded from constitutional protection, such as a threat or "fighting words." Sometimes, speech can be both a threat and hate speech, in which case it would not necessarily have First Amendment protection.
September 22, 2016 11:13PM
i dont have a dog in this hunt.. personally the whole one-love rasta theme most artist's espouse is just a scheme to make money, get women, and score grades.
if you peek behind the curtain you will find the reggae holy trinity isnt garvey, selassie, emannuel. no, the holy trinity is money, weed, sex. so whether or not these artists bun up any and everything, makes no difference to me. because at the end of the day their message is meaningless to me. these artists dont really believe in the lyrics they sing. its all marketing, sales, and ghetto recognitions.

that said, my question is now to these folks who oppose sizzla and the like.

the fiya bun artists chant lyrics that are mickey mouse compared to what is heard in certain congregation centers.
meaning those congregation centers mainly populated by the seed of ishmael.
where is the same opposing fervor? why arent you all picketing at these places ? where is the call for action ?
this non-action and pick-n-choose-battles, screams volumes. sizzla is a safe target. a paper tiger who is simply paper chasing. sizzla isnt a violent threat. he holds no power outside of tenement yard.
to the average listener sizzlas lyrics go in one ear and out the other. its just a get high music. 90% of those listening cant even understand what he is saying. even if someone picks up some 'hate speech' no one sits and meditates on that. especially at a concert. a concert is just an excuse to go out and rate your crop yields. compare sizzla's dog and pony show to the stuff being heard(and adhered to) by the children of ishmael. thats your real battle. not sizzla. some guy who dresses up in a clown suit spouting stuff he probably doesnt even mean.
September 23, 2016 01:21AM
born again congregations might be outwardly anti gay in their preaching/teaching
but are they talking killing like the dancehall artists do?

a
September 23, 2016 01:25AM
where i live in upstate ny most houses of worship have skewed pretty liberal in the last 20/30 years
the catholic church down the road has an openly gay priest
must be all those homemakers dancing the ellen on tv every day have opened their eyes
that gay people are people.. just like them

a

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2016 01:26AM by Ras_Adam.
September 23, 2016 04:23AM
ishmael is the keyword here...

in my years of studying the music i also took the time to understand all the biblical references heard in various songs.. its just how i am wired. i like to know exactly what i am saying when singing along with a song. i figured most reggae fanatics did the same.. meaning, i felt i could make a reference to ishmael without having to explain myself. reggae fanatics would understand without needing a run down on abraham's lineage.
as a jewish youth didnt you learn about the main actors in the abrahamic story ?
September 23, 2016 05:48AM
You are not the only one, he is referring to Muslims by stating "children of Ishmael". Abraham had a son with Hagar since Sarah could not conceive previously, hence the first born stalemate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2016 05:52AM by Pale Ryder.
September 23, 2016 03:12PM
BV, who said you had to explain yourself?
Bless
September 23, 2016 03:59PM
I think there are still some genuine artists within reggae music who have integrity. Vaughn Benjamin of Midnite is an example. He seems to walk the talk.

Big vein your opinions are just that, opinions.

Bless.
September 23, 2016 04:07PM
"because at the end of the day their message is meaningless to me."

If this is the case, why even listen to reggae music? To me it is about the message, you may have to dig deep at times to get to the message but if there were no message I wouldn't be listening to it. Just like in all walks of life some live by the message they preach and some don't. To say "the holy trinity is money, weed, sex," is really unfair in my opinion. You may be right in some cases but generalizing all artists in that way is ridiculous.
September 23, 2016 04:30PM
IMO, the whole of the VI artists walk the talk.
September 23, 2016 04:53PM
chronicom420

If this is the case, why even listen to reggae music?

after close to 30 years i think i am getting to that point.
during this time i was raising my fist and proselytizing the message of garvey.
but recently i have taken a step back and see that the same artists who introduced me to garvey are people
of no action. its all talk. there is no there there..
its become a platform of victims. a platform of zero growth. the same complaint heard by marley is the same
complaint heard by chronnix. the song is getting old and the song is very hypocritical.
all these modern artists whine and moan about the west and the oppressive system, but every quarter or every 6 months, they are receiving a sizable royalty check. the system of publishing and royalty payments is based on european/western legal concepts. copyright, license agreements, trademarks, etc. there is NO african component in the equation.
in fact if you check these songs, many call for returning to ancient ways. does the old time african way define property in way that is clear and concise. does the old african way even include music composition in the definition of property ?
be careful what you pray for, you just may get it. meaning, returning to the old african way, these artists wouldnt receive payment on publishing or royalties because that whole concept is unknown to ANY african tribe or group.
the list of hypocritical examples is endless..

lets not talk about western medical practices and western medicine.
for every person that is "oppressed" there are probably 5 people whose life is being sustained or improved with the help of western medicine. western doctors, western hospitals. western science
so everyone likes to talk about balance.. if we looked at the scales measuring western good and evil, i would say they tip on the side of 'good'... i just dont buy what these artists are selling these days.
September 23, 2016 05:00PM
IYah_Trod
IMO, the whole of the VI artists walk the talk.

you know, VI people are a unique bunch... very dread.. very serious.. on point in many ways..
at least the ones i know.. i have much respect for the VI people.

the story goes.. back in the 70s/80s when the houston area petro/chemical plants needed workers, the local american blacks were not answering the call. so in came a flood of west indian people(mainy VI, non-jamaicans) to fill that gap.
this is why you have many island people in the surrounding areas working the plants and construction jobs.. very industrious people indeed.
September 23, 2016 05:02PM
IYah_Trod
BV, who said you had to explain yourself?
Bless

i based on my response on adams reference to catholics and protestants.. so i was just trying to steer the conversation back away from Christianity..
September 23, 2016 05:13PM
Reggabe

Big vein your opinions are just that, opinions.

Bless.

Right, but what's so great about this board is the feedback. We can talk on reggae issues, but then extend that conservation to social issues. While still keeping things on subject and still reggae related. Reggae music is commonly known as rebel music. A music of the people. A musical Sunday school and/or a musical newspaper.
Many artists use their 15mins of fame to cause some type of change... even if that change is a new conversation with new arguments.. new perspectives.. At least thats my take on things.. I would hope artists arent just releasing social commentaries just so folks can smoke a spliff then and fall asleep.. Dreamtime is over. Reality is at the door, and he demands immediate payment in full.
September 23, 2016 05:31PM
BV, word. So, you know the lyrics in reference to the Bible. What is your thought on Haile Selassie? Just asking. You mention Garvey almost exclusively. Do you not recognize the Biblical linkage of Haile Selassie from Genesis to Revelation?
September 23, 2016 05:47PM
IYah_Trod
BV, word. So, you know the lyrics in reference to the Bible. What is your thought on Haile Selassie? Just asking. You mention Garvey almost exclusively. Do you not recognize the Biblical linkage of Haile Selassie from Genesis to Revelation?

I recognize that Selassie is the offspring of Solomon and Sheba, through their son Menelik. * Because of this lineage
he is heir to certain blessings and birthrights afforded to all those of the Tribe of Judah. Which is the tribe David belongs.

I recognize Selassie as a man only. Not part of the Holy Trinity or even part of any divinity. He is just a man in my
eyes.

Garvey never sighted Selassie either.. Garvey's focus was the upliftment of the black race, specifically those in the diaspora. I believe he was a Christian, in the classical sense, his whole life.

* edit - added bit on lineage and blessings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2016 05:54PM by bigvein.
September 23, 2016 05:49PM
I respect your opinion BV and I too see many hypocrisies within reggae music, as I'm sure we all do. For me there are many important messages in reggae music and the one love message that you blow off as being a scheme is a very important one. Loving one another is something that is seriously lacking in today's society and I don't think the one love message can be repeated enough. To me, that is the most important message because I do believe that the powers that be want to keep up separate because they know we are much more powerful if we live as one people and when it comes down to it we are all one people regardless of the color of your skin, where you come from, what you do, how much money you have, etc......... So even if a certain artist is just saying one love not because they mean it but because they want to make money from it, I say oh well because if the people believe in it and want to live it then that is the most important part. I also believe that many artists do believe in the message they sing, so I think you may be a little more cynical than you should be.
September 23, 2016 06:16PM
chronicom420
I respect your opinion BV and I too see many hypocrisies within reggae music, as I'm sure we all do. For me there are many important messages in reggae music and the one love message that you blow off as being a scheme is a very important one. Loving one another is something that is seriously lacking in today's society and I don't think the one love message can be repeated enough. To me, that is the most important message because I do believe that the powers that be want to keep up separate because they know we are much more powerful if we live as one people and when it comes down to it we are all one people regardless of the color of your skin, where you come from, what you do, how much money you have, etc......... So even if a certain artist is just saying one love not because they mean it but because they want to make money from it, I say oh well because if the people believe in it and want to live it then that is the most important part. I also believe that many artists do believe in the message they sing, so I think you may be a little more cynical than you should be.

I agree the message of 'one love', the message of 'betterment for tomorrow' are all things I promote and sustain.

Where these artists lose me is with the whole 'captcha land' business. They lose me when they go off into this
whole thing about the white man this, the white man oppressor, the white man bad... The white man enslaved us, and now we cant move forward without his acceptance. For these artists to look back to a day when 'we were kings' it seems odd that they would endlessly replay the victim story. What is kingly about the constant re-tell of one's conquering? What is kingly about the constant reminders of being a victim? To me that is a person with an inferiority complex. Someone who looks at the white man as this all empowering being that controls everything. Do these people not recognize their God spark and their ability to control their destiny? There is nothing African and nothing royal with forever focusing on ONE part of African history. The African supposedly has one-hundred-thousand years of history before the white man supposedly came crawling out the caves. Why are we soo focused on the last 400 years ? Why arent we re-telling the days of royalty. The days of acheivement. Yet we are stuck on this story of failure upon failure. We are stuck on these reminders of being the victim.
Isn't MLK who said every man is equal. At least thats the tagline we get every February. If such is the case
then why the constant self positioning of subservience? I say 'subservience' in that stop begging for someone else to do what you are can do yourself. Such is the mission-statement of Garvey and this is why his message resonates deeply with me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2016 06:41PM by bigvein.
September 23, 2016 07:13PM
Great discussion and reasoning.

So who's going to see Sizzla tonite in Oaktown?!?
September 23, 2016 08:52PM
yes BV
Initially, Garvey was a member of the Roman Catholic Church, and later the African Orthodox Church
September 23, 2016 11:44PM
I was hoping to go, show is on for sure? Tickets available and how much?
September 24, 2016 12:30AM
Right on bigvein. I actually agree with many of your 'opinions', it's just you paint them so black and white with no room for in between. I too have been listening to reggae for 30+ years, and I definitely notice the hypocrisy in the industry. Years ago I made a personal philosophy about reggae music and its message: Listen to and adhere the message from reggae, but never idolize rasta, for they are just fallible men/women like the rest of us.

As for focussing on oppression for the last 400 years and not the 100,000 years prior, well can you blame them? Because that's how long they've been in the west, coming here as slaves, and to this day are being victimized via police brutality and uneccesary killings. So to me slavery and oppression are still alive and well and the message is as vital as ever!

On another note, do y'all think Colin Kaepernick listens to reggae? winking smiley
September 25, 2016 02:21AM
bobo david opener oakland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 09:26PM by Ras_Adam.
September 25, 2016 09:26PM
Oakland photo by the great Lee Abel
September 25, 2016 09:27PM
oakland photo by the great Lee Abel
September 26, 2016 02:42AM
September 26, 2016 01:54PM
Any reviews. I am down south so I missed it.
September 26, 2016 04:23PM
Sizzler is a mid-priced family restaurant that has entrees for the entire family, although the quality of the food and service are variable, nationwide.
September 26, 2016 07:53PM
Epic show! Band was a nice 4 piece, nicely rehearsed and tight.. Solid from start to finish. Sizzla was pure fiyah and looked like he was enjoying the vibes..Give thx to everyone that made this show happen! For someone that has been waiting over a decade to see him, it was great to see him, especially in the town! Most Highly recommended!
September 26, 2016 09:53PM
BV, Recognizing that Haile Selassie is a descendant of Solomon and Sheba, etc., where does the Biblical separation come in for you? Do you attribute any Biblical passages to HIM?

bigvein
IYah_Trod

I recognize that Selassie is the offspring of Solomon and Sheba, through their son Menelik. * Because of this lineage
he is heir to certain blessings and birthrights afforded to all those of the Tribe of Judah. Which is the tribe David belongs.

I recognize Selassie as a man only. Not part of the Holy Trinity or even part of any divinity. He is just a man in my
eyes.

Garvey never sighted Selassie either.. Garvey's focus was the upliftment of the black race, specifically those in the diaspora. I believe he was a Christian, in the classical sense, his whole life.

September 26, 2016 10:50PM
when you say HIM, is that referring to Haile Selassie ?
i know HIM and Selassie are used interchangeably, i just want to make sure we are on the same page.
if HIM and Selassie are the same, then no, i do not attribute any Biblical passages to him.

i guess the question is.. when you read ethiopia in the bible, does that mean, the country as we know it today ?
or the whole land mass we now call africa ? so you are really at the mercy of the bible translators attempting to
prove a point using biblical passages.

as a side-note.. is africa a label to be proud of? its still a european construct.. which means, to call oneself 'african' is to accept one's conquest.
in fact, there is no such thing as continent or country in native 'african' languages. where is your original teachings? your original language ? your original history ?

IYah_Trod
BV, Recognizing that Haile Selassie is a descendant of Solomon and Sheba, etc., where does the Biblical separation come in for you? Do you attribute any Biblical passages to HIM?

bigvein
IYah_Trod

eyes.

September 27, 2016 01:33AM
Waited in a line around the corner and halfway down the block for over an hour. We were all crossing our fingers thinking the show was over sold. We finally made it into the Sizzla's band started around 12:40 am with Sizzla hitting the stage at 12:45 pm and they played until 2:25 am. Same opening tune as ROTR, however the set was much more dancehall centric than his ROTR set. The Venue Oakland was filled to capacity and with a little persistence my crew of 4 was able to find a comfortable place to stand without feeling like we were in a mosh pit. We were on the 3rd floor which made it quite muggy and warm, however Sizzla made up for the swampy feeling. The Venue Oakland is not a great venue due to the aforementioned issue along with the sound quality being poor (squeeling mic at times and disortion in the speakers at times of heavy bass etc). With these issues in mind, Sizzla made the best of it and seemed to put on a more energetic show to make up for it, along with the fact that the crowd energy was on point. I would never go see another show at this venue. I ended up with a street sweeper parking ticket since we didn't get back to the car until 2:35 am. With all these things in mind, I would do it all again, great show!
September 27, 2016 01:46AM
HIM in this context; His Imperial Majesty.
I check your point on Ethiopia, whereas, I know in some context it can refer to the whole continent. But that particular (Africa as a term of conquest) dialog takes things off point. Though reasonings are periodically good, its often difficult to stay on point on this board.

bigvein
i know HIM and Selassie are used interchangeably, i just want to make sure we are on the same page.
if HIM and Selassie are the same, then no, i do not attribute any Biblical passages to him.

i guess the question is.. when you read ethiopia in the bible, does that mean, the country as we know it today ?
or the whole land mass we now call africa ? so you are really at the mercy of the bible translators attempting to

as a side-note.. is africa a label to be proud of? its still a european construct.. which means, to call oneself 'african' is to accept one's conquest.
in fact, there is no such thing as continent or country in native 'african' languages. where is your original teachings? your original language ? your original history ?

IYah_Trod

bigvein
IYah_Trod

eyes.

September 27, 2016 03:33PM
As far as the great Abrahamic faiths of Judaism, Christianity and Islam the only enemy is anger and some people are full of it. Some from each group are full of anger and its obvious and each dispensation clarifies that anger is from the devil. So really there is no argument. Anger is the enemy and some people are full of it.
September 27, 2016 04:48PM
excuse the side-bar.. let's continue to discuss.. but right now i need to get back to work..

IYah_Trod
HIM in this context; His Imperial Majesty.
I check your point on Ethiopia, whereas, I know in some context it can refer to the whole continent. But that particular (Africa as a term of conquest) dialog takes things off point. Though reasonings are periodically good, its often difficult to stay on point on this board.

bigvein

IYah_Trod

bigvein
IYah_Trod

eyes.

September 27, 2016 06:18PM
Mr.Black
Waited in a line around the corner and halfway down the block for over an hour. We were all crossing our fingers thinking the show was over sold. We finally made it into the Sizzla's band started around 12:40 am with Sizzla hitting the stage at 12:45 pm and they played until 2:25 am. Same opening tune as ROTR, however the set was much more dancehall centric than his ROTR set. The Venue Oakland was filled to capacity and with a little persistence my crew of 4 was able to find a comfortable place to stand without feeling like we were in a mosh pit. We were on the 3rd floor which made it quite muggy and warm, however Sizzla made up for the swampy feeling. The Venue Oakland is not a great venue due to the aforementioned issue along with the sound quality being poor (squeeling mic at times and disortion in the speakers at times of heavy bass etc). With these issues in mind, Sizzla made the best of it and seemed to put on a more energetic show to make up for it, along with the fact that the crowd energy was on point. I would never go see another show at this venue. I ended up with a street sweeper parking ticket since we didn't get back to the car until 2:35 am. With all these things in mind, I would do it all again, great show!

Thanks Wayne!! Looking forward to the show up here on Friday.
September 27, 2016 07:08PM
...Abyssinia

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login