Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae Snobs

Posted by SuckYaMadda 
SuckYaMadda
Reggae Snobs
March 18, 2005 06:28AM
Don't ya just hate it when someone thinks that thier reggae is bigger than yours?
Re: Reggae Snobs
March 18, 2005 06:55AM
yep. they're trapped in their own vanity.

March 18, 2005 03:50PM
Mine is bigger than yours, Chi.

I like to be trapped in my own vanity.
seed
March 18, 2005 03:53PM
what do you mean? like when someone thinks they deserve the music more than you do cause they have been to more reggae shows or are more knowledgable about what songs sugar minot sang??

yes
KeithM
March 18, 2005 04:11PM
I like the "if it aint roots its rubbish" crew...they are amusing to watch.
SuckYaMadda
March 18, 2005 04:43PM
Reggae Snobs....you know who you are....gwan keep your "ital" nose in the air.
BMC
March 18, 2005 04:49PM
Yes KeithM, very enjoyable indeed and on this board we are treated on many of 'm! :-)
March 18, 2005 04:50PM
The 'dreader than thou' trustafarians speaking to everyone in phony patwa and looking down on the rest of the world that doesn't have the Rasta righeousness that dirty matted dreads and torn up clothes automatically give you...now those guys are always good for a laff.

pale ryder
March 18, 2005 04:55PM
yeah I used to live in arcata, its funny when they drive Toyota Land Cruisers, and older Ford Broncos, and still think that they are environmentalists.....
seed
March 18, 2005 05:09PM
you can't be an environmentalist and drive a 4X4?
pale ryder
March 18, 2005 05:11PM
No, you cant......
March 18, 2005 05:15PM
why not, can you be an environmentalist and live in the modern world? I find the word trustafarian to be lacking, I here you on the snob bit, but I find that more from people who label others with cute names like ohhhhh.....trustafarian. Bob rolled in a BMW all day and all night so slow your roll. Shoot, the Taliban was driving 4 x 4's
pale ryder
March 18, 2005 05:18PM
Well, a BMW doesnt use twice or more petro than a normal vehicle. If you really need a 4x4 for work reasons, or getting to your home, I could understant. But when you live in a house that has access to the street, why use more than you need. Oh I know why, it is the American way.......
March 18, 2005 05:44PM
my point is c'mon there are so many more factors that contribute to the destruction of the environment. Cars in general. Cigarette smoke, the Beef industry, I see what you guys are saying, I am not that ignorant. But it seems like an easy target. I always find vegitarians who don't eat meat cause it is cruel, yet wear leather and smoke cigs to be my favorite label and target. they don't want drilling in Anwaar, but they bitch about a tax on cigs. How was that for some labeling?
seed
March 18, 2005 06:31PM
hypocrites....just worry bout yourself instead of finding reasons for everything... if you think that anybody who lives on the street shouldn't drive a 4x YOU NEED TO LOOK INTO A LITTLE THING CALLED CAMPING...and realize that the best spots are usually 4X accessable... gimme a break, discover your self
seed
March 18, 2005 06:35PM
you don't have to live in a tree to be environmentally conscious and environmentally sustainable
March 18, 2005 08:07PM
i love snobs, i love not snobs, i love drunks, and hmmm who else...oh you yes i love you and you and you hahahahhah
seed
March 18, 2005 08:12PM
are you drunk right now?
Stevo
March 18, 2005 09:44PM
Don't you just hate it when people won't listen to great advice, simply because of how vain they are, even when they don't know a whole lot about what they're talking about.
Acacia
March 18, 2005 09:50PM
I've heard how you like to give your "great advice". Hmm, I wonder why they don't listen...

Author: Stevo (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 03-13-05 21:47

Kind Herb-
You're just plain wrong. And I'm not even talking about your point of view on the Gay rights issue. It's not a JA ting, it's a Bible ting. And since you don't know shat about it, what are you acting like you do, for? But as for your point of view, You're wrong about that too. And Papa Briggy is right. :0) And for all a yall who aren't going to his shows any more......you won't be missed. And for everyone who thinks Jah forgives and never forgets.....you don't know what you're talking about either. Figure it out, by thinking about that one a little harder. Jah don't forgive like man claims to forgive. Cho!
-Stevo
Stevo
March 18, 2005 09:51PM
Gotta love it
see
March 18, 2005 09:52PM
yeah its called ignorance....those types try to be higher than you by acting like they ALREADY have a plan
March 18, 2005 10:43PM
Sorry Stevo, it is a JA thing caue it sates in the New Testement that none of us is good, so what the hell is Jerry talking down to folks for? NONE OF US IS GOOD. This comes out of the mouth of the MASTER. How can you call gay and lesbian dutty, when JAH HIMSELF SAYS THAT all are unworthy? this isn't about me or anyone else trying to make The Teachings pallatable to modern society or to say "Hey can't we all get along" This is about people who mis interpret and mis inform others about what is of HIM and what is not. If you disagree then attack the following points.

1)A which of us is good according to the New Testement teachings of The Holy One who has returned as Selasie I?

2)According to these same teachings which of us should be judging others?

3)Again, according to the Teachings which of us is in a position to know who is "real" and who is not?

4)What is the greatest commandment of them all according to the Master who revealed Himself to us as Selasie I?

5)How is calling someone a "faggot" or you can plug in any nmame you want compatable with the greatest commandment?

We are to be in this world, but not of it. Name calling and labeling is the result of the culture of man and not of HIM.
papa wheelie
March 18, 2005 10:52PM
Who cares. The good thing is Jah music is for everyone. Each one Teach One. Educate your brother & live as family.
Papa Wheelie
March 18, 2005 10:54PM
The people who asked care I suppose. Obviously it isn't for everyone according to some.
Stevo
March 19, 2005 12:27AM
NC-
Honestly I don't see an argument between our points of view. Did I contradict tha Word? I read my Bible a lot. Are you are saying I'm judging people. I'm just not. And this ones been up for almost a week now. In a different thread I might add. Been fair game. Why now, I must ask.

Thanks Acacia. Did you go looking for that one, or has it been under your skin since you read it? Or maybe I've been under your skin? Funny you've never addressed me on this board until your golden opportunity to try and drag my name in tha mud. Just sayin.
Stevo
March 19, 2005 12:27AM
it didn't work either.
Acacia
March 19, 2005 12:37AM
You drag your own name through the mud talking to people like you do. I'm not "trying" anything. And yes, it has been under my skin since I read it. It isn't the first thing either. Would it have been more appropriate to open my mouth at every "golden opportunity"?
Stevo
March 19, 2005 01:26AM
Suppose not. So it's my delivery, not necessarily my opinions?
March 19, 2005 01:33AM
My reggae collection is bigger than yours and it doesn't feature any Midnite album.
Hahahahaha!
Makes me happy :-)
March 19, 2005 06:19AM
BMW doesn't stand for British Motors Works, it stands for Bob Marley and the Wailers!!! Besides he was so well respected that he never locked it when he drove it around town, the people loved it. Seeing money fall into their hands through Reggae music gave people in JA hope, "Slave Driver, the tables are turnin'...." Ya Know
SuckYaMadda
March 19, 2005 06:23AM
Listen to Sizzla!!!!
jbwelda
March 19, 2005 07:42AM
bmw = bavarian motor werk approximately.

im a car snob myself.

one love
jah bill
March 19, 2005 05:53PM
maybe they're not really snobs, just ill percieved. if in fact they do really believe they are better than others for whatever reason well then, big ups to them for having such confidence
Gordon
March 19, 2005 07:58PM
I'm not better than any of you but I've got more records than you - with the exception of maybe Jah Bill and The Man.

Respect

Gordon
Gordon
March 19, 2005 08:02PM
That should be definitely with the exception of the Man.

I assume JB will have more records than me.

I'll be happy to take bronze.

And if any of you have more than 1500 7" 1200 12" and 3000 albums (split 50/50 approx between vinyl and CD) then I apologise right now.

Respect

Gordon
HIGHPRAISE
March 19, 2005 08:27PM
Earthly possesions....
HIGHPRAISE
March 19, 2005 08:29PM
Or should i say possessions...
Maconha
March 19, 2005 09:05PM
RASpect
HIGHPRAISE, how com da bredren ain't calling Daniel on dis a one?!
Righteousness cova da earth
March 19, 2005 09:22PM
oh... you must be talking about sierra heads... nice topic big bro

You guys can be so Jafaican sometimes.....I cant believe how some of you actually posted messages that absent mindedly copped to being the reggae snobs that you are....who them cap fits.......

Post Edited (03-19-05 13:28)

light it up
March 19, 2005 09:24PM
"I'll be happy to take bronze."

Gord, what about rubber?
jbwelda
March 20, 2005 03:12AM
i think you got me beat hands down gordon...that would leave the man and steve barrow.

one love
jah bill
HIGHPRAISE
March 20, 2005 05:45AM
gEEKin aND fREAkIN....
March 20, 2005 07:04PM
Damn Gordon - you must not have room to park in the garage eh?
Gordon
March 20, 2005 09:20PM
Well I don't drive so that leaves nuff room in the garage! About half of my collection is in an upstairs room and the rest is in crates in the attic. I couldn't possibly keep everything in the room so I keep a core of about 300 classic albums and 500 classic 45s that never leave my side then rotate the rest every few months.

Respect

Gordon
Alexander the Great
March 21, 2005 11:15AM
sorry gordon but i have more records than you. more original presses, less crap, i drive, i have 2 cars, a bigger garage, a bigger house & a girlfriend.
Gordon
March 21, 2005 11:52AM
I'm chuffed for you.
Jafacain Trustafari
March 21, 2005 03:16PM
mi haffi git tings. more fyah!
March 21, 2005 05:33PM
I think more knowledge about the music is a good thing...but knowledge does not constitute wisdom in how to use that knowledge. By all means, teach people, don't criticize or put them down.
HIGHPRAISE
March 21, 2005 06:09PM
Vanity.....
Acacia
March 21, 2005 06:31PM
Stevo, pretty much. I don't have a problem with most things you say. I don't necessarily agree with some of your views but it is your right to express them and I don't think badly of you for doing so. It is when you openly depreciate people for their views that I can't have respect for you. All believe they alone, hold the truth. If you speak to others with humility, I believe you will be respected.
March 21, 2005 07:07PM

this one is worth reading twice.. top quality here:

--

Author: RudeBwoyStyle (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: 03-19-05 13:22

oh... you must be talking about sierra heads... nice topic big bro

You guys can be so Jafaican sometimes.....I cant believe how some of you actually posted messages that absent mindedly copped to being the reggae snobs that you are....who them cap fits.......

light it up

Post Edited (03-19-05 13:28)

--

so when you say "Jafaican" do you mean something like posting with a name like "RudeBwoyStyle" and using phrases and dialect attempts like "who them cap fits......."?

or did you mean something else?
KeithM
March 21, 2005 07:27PM
Best Thread of the year...
Stevo
March 21, 2005 08:09PM
A-I'll honestly try. Thanks for the constructive criticism.
Acacia
March 21, 2005 08:34PM
Thank you for being receptive, I appreciate that a lot. Cool.
March 21, 2005 09:08PM
Yay!
Maconha
March 21, 2005 09:25PM
RASpect

idrens Acacia an Stevo, InI just so glad 2c da idrens com 2 terms............both idrens have brought some of da mos positive vibes an some of da best reasonin in da board (in InI opinion) .................bredren Stevo surprised InI w/ dat early statement as well, 4 dat did not sound like da Stevo of previous reasonings, but we all misexpress ourselves once in a while.........da bredren has however, shown his nature by acceptin da criticism.......congrats 2 both 4 showin da way 2 positive resolution! beautiful........

One Love
Humbleness cova da earth...
Bless
Stevo
March 21, 2005 09:28PM
I really was havin a bad day that day. And I couldn't contain my frustration with ye olde debate, I suppose. But today is a new day. Givethanks.:0)
Acacia
March 21, 2005 10:15PM
March 21, 2005 10:45PM
Absolute winking smiley
16_Year_ROTR_Vet
March 22, 2005 01:36AM
If your offended 123....then I think ol Rudeboy and Suckyamadda hit the nail on the head......is it ok to use that term instead of the easier phrase.....who them cap fits (and not who dem cap fits) or does that bother you too?

Sounds a little "snobby" to me...
Rasmosis
March 22, 2005 03:21AM

I'm still on what Alisha wrote in regards to ''Big ups for having

confidence in feeling that one is better or more worthy of raspect,love

compassion, than another person. ''The stone that the builder refuse,

shall be the head cornerstone''. How does that quote from ''Christ''

relate? It relates in the sense that even in Jesus's time there were

those Pharisees and Scribes who thought they were better than all

the rest of the Jews and Romans. In reality, they were so threatened

by one, Jesus Christ, Yeshua the descendant from the tribe of Judah.

He was humble, yet majestic, a healer, who preached love, and

equality,never claimed to be more worthy or better. Big-ups to the

humble and meek, they are the true rasta and righteous.

Raspect!!!
March 22, 2005 04:57PM
Stevo, you got me twisted. First of all Ninja stalks his prey. Secondly, all I was sayin is that it isn't a Biblical thing. If it were there would be a whole lot more said about the behaviors we all witness at a mucis festival. It is the same issue I have with many cultural Christians, They will walk through hell and high water to ban gay marriae, yet what about the homeless? WIll Pay Billions to invade and destroy in the name of "saving lives" Yet can't fight a "war" against HIV/AIDS because there are no funds. What I am opposed to is people picking and choosing Biblical postitions that suit there own cultural biases and do not directly effect them. Such as gay marriage. While it is true that the Bible does not condone gay marrigage it also does not condone divorce or premarital sex. If you are a stragith guy/gal living in the West which of these do you pas a law against? You might need toget a divorce and Lord knows premarital sex is now the norm, but Hey I ain't gay and I ain't gonna be so lets pass a law against them. HYPOCRITES. This is the main problem facing "oraganized religon" (I am not sure there is any other kind) that WE are selective in our beliefs, this is cultural not Biblical. Peace Stevo, say something more contraversial and we can go at it more directly. I got no problem with your posts we just crossed paths on this one.
Dude about town
March 22, 2005 07:50PM
WOW. Lots of snobbery up in here! I am like Jah Bill, a car snob, though I happen to like SAABs. Got 5 of them, 2 that run, and one of those needs a tranny.....That's TRANSMISSION, NOT trans-sexual for all you buggery watchers....I am also a sound snob, that is to say I like only the best sound gear and systems...I own a Jim Gamble and Associates EX56. THere is no other god than Jim Gamble!!! THerefore, when I play live reggae through it, my reggae is BIGGER AND BETTER than the rest of the UNIVERSE!!! See and hear it for yourself at this years SNWMF.
March 22, 2005 08:00PM
HA HA HA
HIGHPRAISE
March 22, 2005 08:26PM
Great sound , the most important...
March 22, 2005 11:41PM
rasmosis...i was sort of being sarcastic. anyway...everyone love more ok????
March 23, 2005 12:43AM
Up with alisha. My fiancee plays "Legend" (Bob Marley) a lot on her cd player. So I hear plenty of "One Love." I only wish it could be. I drive an old '85 Buick, the cassette player doesn't even work. So I guess I'll never be a reggae snob, whatever that is. So be it. I feel no loss. Year after year, I feel only grace on the hill above the stage at Angels Camp. and before that in Marysville, only grace. Another year, the music. Only grace. I give thanks. Jah bless.
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 03:31AM
hmm. you think yur system makes the music?
jbwelda
March 23, 2005 03:38AM
makes it come alive, maybe.

one love
jah bill
Stevo
March 23, 2005 05:41AM
Ninja- I fully overstand and agree with your point. Yes, though the Bible is clear on it's standpoint with the topic in question with Briggy, it is also clear on many others. People are quite selective at times, with the battles they choose to wage. So I see what you mean about this being a cultural thing(when coming from a JA recording artist). I suppose I was looking at it on more of a right or wrong level. Respect.

Just to stay on topic.......1500 7's and counting bwooyyyyyeeeeee!!!!!!!
-Stevo
HIGHPRAISE
March 23, 2005 08:20AM
What the ???????
March 23, 2005 09:21AM
The bible is clear on that subject? REally? Give me a direct quote supporting that statement...
March 23, 2005 02:50PM
hey old man: my car is lacking sounds too...sometimes when i feel particularly snobbish i take my 20.00 cd player in the car so i can listen to all my snobby reggae...snobby reggae isn't that a bit of an oxy moron
Gordon
March 23, 2005 03:01PM
You know, reggae music is a sufferers' music.

Now I got a question, in the last 10 years how many of you have had to worry about if you got enough money to put food on the table?

I have and I can feel those lyrics right there.

Respect

Gordon
March 23, 2005 04:00PM
The people who I get a kick out of are the ones who know so much about Reggae they don't have to smoke weed to enjoy it. Or do they? And refuse to acknowledge a relationship between the two.. Some great laughs at this thread..
Gordon
March 23, 2005 04:16PM
You DON'T have to smoke weed to enjoy reggae.

People who are only into reggae due to it's connections with the herb are not true music fans and have something lacking up top.

Would you inject heroin if you were a punk fan and heard a heap of punk records saying it's cool to do so?

Gordon
March 23, 2005 04:29PM
But Gordon, when you take into context that the music we conceived, written and played in an altered state, you have to agree that there is a certain validity to understanding the music in that same altered state.
True, you don't have to smoke weed to enjoy reggae, but it sure can help!
Jafaican Trustafari
March 23, 2005 04:29PM
gi mi d chalwa, iDren inna smoky hillz, nuff head a gwan, bumba c a way - but dem a babylonian warrior seen
March 23, 2005 04:55PM
I would not listen to Punk messages of Heroin use. Not my scene. I was not stating you had to smoke weed to enjoy Reggae, just some posters on this board have stated that somehow if you relate to the weed in the music you are getting less from it than them. As far as lacking something up top I would think people who are engulfed, literaly, by music which they relate nothing to would be the ones lacking.
March 23, 2005 05:16PM
you both sound right, it is just a difference in experience. you don't get the same expereince. I prefer the High Grade experience.

I don't smoke cigarette,
but mi smoke the gan--
some call it the erb sen-- marijua--
cause it clean I man mind and it make mi ponder
why the weak man a weak
and the strong, the stronger
why some life is short
and some life is longer
why if Jah Jah no Dead
them say him a goner.
March 23, 2005 05:58PM
Gordon...suffers's music yes. but also of praise. there was a period of time about a year ago where i actually did worry about food and many other important commodities(running water, electricity) and at nine months pregnant it isn't easy to deal with much other than the giant belly in front of you. anyway my son's father is a heroin addict, so money was sparse to say the least. he pawned all electronic equipment but i managed to hide a single speaker and cd player...if it wasn't for much reggae playing i don't know how much happiness i would have derived from my pregnancy. i found the strength to leave the guy and everyday keep on my upward journey. so suffer ya i have-not much of a snob, no need to be
March 23, 2005 06:07PM
Much respect to you Alisha...We all suffer in life in one way or another, so reggae is for all.
March 23, 2005 06:21PM
Miz Alisha, Blessings and all the very best to you and your child.

I married a fine woman last year, who has two girls, 7 and 9. Their father
nevah sees them, no support, abusive, etc. Guess who they call 'daddy'?
& now refer to their biological dad by his first name. Those men who sire
children and ignore their responsiblity will reap a whirlwind EVERY TIME.
What would alla we do without strong women???

By the way, my youngest girl is stone in love w/ Bitty McLean's 'On Bond Street',
singing along in the house(don't mean to bore you single men w/ such domestic
tranquility)....
March 23, 2005 06:24PM
ahhh...you put my heart at ease, i worry daily about the outcome of it all but papa ray, you are a good man to absorb the whole package so lovingly-thanx
peace to all ya'll ....can't wait for summer!!!!
Gordon
March 23, 2005 06:25PM
Yes respect to you Alisha.

A few years ago I had a bad accident at work and was almost killed. I survived but haven't been able to work since. I give thanks that I am still able to get out and about and check gigs and listen to this wonderful music. I guess that I'm lucky as when I was struggling to pay my rent and eat, eventually my dad invited me to live back at his place once more so now I have a little bit of money to buy a few 7"s or some CDs sometimes.

When I was working I had a real good wage and used to buy pure tunes - like 15 or 20 7" a week and 5 albums - over a duration of about 3 years, so that's how I got a big collection.

But it ain't a contest - as long as you enjoy the tunes you've got, that's what counts.

Respect

Gordon
March 23, 2005 07:07PM
Alisha., your going to this years SNWMF right? are you bringing your child with you? and by the way, Much respect for you and your strength to pull out of that relation ship, if you can even call it that. Life is suffering, First noble Truth.

I have yet to be cast out into my own life as you all are. Im still living with my crumbling alcoholic of a father who is suprizingly still supporting me. Right after this years Fest Im going job hunting.
Anyways, Much love to you all and Much love to you Alisha.
-pkw
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 08:29PM
again i say.... if ones listen to reggae all day everyday,buy all the new tunes,attend all the festivals and still cant free themselves from the shallow, eurocentric,mind frames that shackle them then whats the point?Gorden the only i who say something.this music is from the sufferah for the sufferah.culture vultures can steal but not feel ini vibes.

P.s. he who feel it know it

Selassie I Live and Rule!!!!
Stevo
March 23, 2005 08:34PM
Dubguy- I'm assuming we are talking about the same subject here. It won't be difficult to tell after reading these.......1 Timothy 1:10 and Romans 1:26-27.
Both New Testament style. Hope this helps. Sorry to run off topic people. Pretend You don't see it.
-Stevo
jb welda
March 23, 2005 08:50PM
>this music is from the sufferah for the sufferah

unfortunately, most "sufferah"s dont have money to do any of those things you mention let alone put food on the table. consequently, i would have to disagree with your statement. music is "made" (that is, records/cds are pressed) to sell to those with at least enough expendable income to let off on non-essentials like music in recorded form. if it were truly made "for the sufferah" then there would be a lot more "sufferahs" starting with the people who invest their money in recording the music because no one would be able to buy it and they would be broke.

know how to end up with a small fortune from the reggae music business?

start with a large fortune.

one love
jah bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login