Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae Snobs

Posted by SuckYaMadda 
Re: Reggae Snobs
March 23, 2005 08:52PM
The music i have brings joy and pleasure and memories to me ,i don't have 1,000of records i just have what i have,one time i would crave for music,but now it comes to i in due season.I find that music i had i miss, but i know the people who have them love them still ,and thoses who stole them ,thay must really have wanted them ,so it go's ,for as you lose one ,you gain another, big respect to Man like Jah bill ,dave hendley, dougie who have shared music with me ,and i know others do the same .I have seen people with 1,000 of records thay don't touch them ,you can't play them, that to me is sad ,the great thing about reggae is there is so much that a man with a few tunes might have some thing good you have never heard ,so feel no way ,i have been around this music since late 6ots but the more you think you know, is the less you know .people on theses boards have a great knowledge and it good to learn.Gordon there were hard times ,but man must go through tribulation to know themselves for thats what makes you know who you are and where you are going,so for sum it's a burden,for others its a revelation so feel no way
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 09:04PM
music is "made" to sell, is what your saying bill?

so the cow is born for the slaughter house?the egg is layed for the breakfast table?the whale swims the sea, so people can have cosmetics?

Reggae means "to the king"

His Imperial Majesty Emporer Haile I Selassie I the King.

Remember that
jb welda
March 23, 2005 09:14PM
>music is "made" to sell, is what your saying bill?

i guess im having a hard time communicating because im not going to suggest you have a hard time reading.

RECORDS are made to sell. i thought i made that pretty clear in my initial post but again, it must be me.

oh by the way, i dont know where you get this idea that "reggae means 'to the king'". in fact, "reggae" doesnt have anything intrinsicly to do with rastafari, it was rasta who adopted reggae, not the rastas who invented reggae. history shows it to be true. in fact many reggae producers fought against rasta in the early days of reggae.

one love
jah bill
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 09:16PM
i am fully convinced you have lost your mind
jb welda
March 23, 2005 09:17PM
and let me also add, if it werent for reggae RECORDS, and the market that supports producing more reggae records, none of us would have ever heard of "reggae" because the only ones hearing it or playing it would be in the ghettos or hills of jamaica.

one love
jah bill
jb welda
yeah ive lost my mind. thats one explanation i guess.

one love
jah bill
As far as Jamaican record buyers were concerned, the origin of the word reggae was the 1968 Pyramid single by Toots and the Maytals "Do the Reggay" (sic). Other possibilities as to the origin of the word include Regga, the name of a Bantu speaking tribe on Lake Tanganyika and a corruption of "streggae," which is Kingston street slang for prostitute. According to Bob Marley, the word is Spanish in origin, meaning "the king’s music" but according to veteran session musicians the word is a description of the beat itself. Hux Brown of the Skatalites and lead guitarist on Paul Simon’s 1972 hit "Mother and Child Reunion" says that it is "just a fun, joke kinda word that means ragged rhythm and the body feeling."

--origin of Dub, Ska and Reggae Homepage
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 09:18PM
well maybe his story say that but that not ini story ini know where ini come from maybe you should switch genres over to hard rock that way it will mingle better with ur hard head
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 09:27PM
[www.mutabaruka.com]

(reggae music- beyond the hype) fourth stream

this link is for ones who wan to know what "reggae" is all about

HIM blessings
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 09:33PM
ninth stream from top and not the fourth
March 23, 2005 09:38PM
Jah Bill,

I think you might be missing the something here. What you have said is true, but it is not complete (at least that is what I think). Growing up Black in the fine country is not the easiest thing, but it meant something to me in 89 to see Public Enemy chanting Fight the Power over the mainstream airwaves. The same thing an be said of the many youth in JA and abroad. It means something to have cats like Bounty repping for them. To see someone like S. Paul in the video doing the same dances that they are doing in JA. SOme youth might never be able to afford the record, but they still hear it over the radio. The DJ still spins the record at the dance. In many cases it is living "vicariously" spelling is not right, throught the DJ that you most identify with. Giving a voice to those that do not have one is definetly one aspect of the music of "sufferahs" all over the world. I would bet that most people who listen to BMW never bought one of their records.

Mr. Ninja T. Cat
March 23, 2005 09:45PM
Change over time, aka Evolution. All Things
Change over time. Things, Places, Life forms.
Meanings and the music behind them.
What might have been, was or meant 30 years ago Might have totally have changed, especially with evermore Conscious generations of humans coming into this reality every day.
All tings change and soon nothing will matter. so lets live in the now.
Make peace amoungst matters quit the chuckeling chatters of what was true.
what is truth
and what will be the next highest truth?
peace, love and disagreements
-pkw
farifoundation
March 23, 2005 09:46PM
very well said ninja
jb welda
March 23, 2005 10:30PM
true truth does not change, only the way it is viewed. those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. we see the truth of that statement every day in the news.

one love
jah bill
Gordon
March 23, 2005 11:07PM
Peter I will check you with a list of rare tunes that I have and will gladly compile some CDs for you. Please allow me about a week or so though as I'm going to be out of town for around a week soon.

Respect

Gordon
March 24, 2005 12:02AM
yes gordon i will do like wise ,thanks star, keep in touch
SuckYaMadda
March 24, 2005 04:16AM
Wow....I cant believe that my Reggae Snobs thread would get all of this action........funny in a sad way.
gwanden
March 24, 2005 06:16AM
It is a sad laughter!!! We are all just people. Not Gods. Not masters, just people trying to live pon dis earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mashed down.
March 24, 2005 07:27AM
Dude about town: i have more saabs than you.
SuckYaMadda
March 26, 2005 02:45AM
Cant let this classic thread get knocked down the charts....any other sad humor out there?
March 26, 2005 05:24AM
ya suck....suck it easy...i mean suckyamadda....it is rather funny this thread went so far, who knew people were so interested.
SuckYaMadda
March 27, 2005 03:26AM
SuckYaMadda alisha!
March 28, 2005 05:20PM
lol
March 28, 2005 06:35PM
this thread shows a lot of whats wrong with this whole scene. people thinking they know so much, and hating on others. sad and too proud. more love
Acacia
March 28, 2005 06:57PM
That is EVERY scene.
16_Year_ROTR_Vet
April 05, 2005 07:30PM
They are at it again.....
April 05, 2005 09:10PM
"true truth does not change, only the way it is viewed. those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. we see the truth of that statement every day in the news.

one love
jah bill"

You can say that again. It can be sugar-coated, viewed in the realm of optimism/pessimism, even denied. But in the end truth is truth.

April 05, 2005 09:43PM
that statement is rediculous, (sorry no meanness intended) defining something with itself leads you no where. For instance "red is red" is a worthless statement to someone who doesnt already know. In which case they would not require a definition. It is like explaining color to one who is born blind. Quite literally Non-Sense
April 05, 2005 09:50PM
But when you have most humans trying to perceive it as anything but red, because deep down they want it to be anything BUT red, it makes the most sense.

April 05, 2005 10:05PM
only the way it is viewed, only the way it is viewed, only the way it is viewed!
Only The Way One Views
April 05, 2005 10:09PM
So you feel truth is ALL perception? hmmm

April 05, 2005 10:14PM
lt me make another run at this. The "Truth" as it is being spoken of is like an entity that exists outside of the human mind that we experience. I will FORward this thought to you. There is nothing that can be known outside of human experince. If you disagree you will be able to quicly disprove this. Tell me something about "that which has never been experienced"? This abstract notion of truth that remains the same, what can be said of this? If it is external then it is physical, both by definition and by implication. If it is physical it has form and extension (shape). How big is it? Where is it at? remember that every claim we make has implications we can't just say something and then ignore the "unspoken" meaning. The Truth is not external anymore than "red" is "out there" It is all "in here". Please don't equate this with some sort of spineless reletavism.
Acacia
April 05, 2005 11:21PM
Perhaps, but what the bleep do you know?

smiling smiley
April 05, 2005 11:35PM
I have yet to see that, but I hear it is pretty good. Any reviews??
Acacia
April 05, 2005 11:39PM
Yes, see it. It will flip your head up a little. Give you a lot to think about.
April 05, 2005 11:42PM
along those lines. Read God's Whisper Creations Thunder. All about how the new physics are becoming more and more like the old mysticism. Think about this if utterance holds power over water and we are made of 98% water.....
Acacia
April 05, 2005 11:45PM
Love yourself.
April 05, 2005 11:47PM
Acacia
April 05, 2005 11:49PM
Is that supposed to be me meditating? I don't look like that...
April 05, 2005 11:52PM
Ahh, the ego is strong in this one. May I meditate, Ms A?

Acacia
April 05, 2005 11:55PM
Ooh sorry. Of course you can. I didn't recognize you with your haircut smiling smiley
April 06, 2005 12:02AM
thanks, I try shed all my earthly appearances when in deep reflection mode :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login