Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

R.I.P. PRINCE BUSTER

Posted by madisimmons 
R.I.P. PRINCE BUSTER
September 08, 2016 06:30PM
Twitter tributes to pioneering reggae singer, songwriter and producer Prince Buster have poured in for the man behind One Step Beyond, Madness and some of the genre's most endearing early hits.
Regarded as Jamaica's first international musical legend, Cecil Bustamente Campbell hailed from Kingston,, having been born on Orange Street – now known as the heart and soul of Jamaican ska, rocksteady and reggae.
The records that Prince Buster released in the 1960s – such as I Feel the Spirit and Fly Flying Ska – set a blueprint for ska and rocksteady anthems to come and had a profound influence on the UK music scene of the 1970s / 80s – primarily Coventry's 2-Tone ska label, home of The Specials and The Selecter. Madness originally covered Buster's 1963's B-side Madness on the 2-Tone label and recorded a tribute to Campbell called The Prince in 1979.
The 1960s were prolific for Campbell not only for the songs released but also for his production work on Oh Carolina by the Folkes Brother in 1960. The year 1964 saw a heavyweight meeting between Campbell and boxer Muhammad Ali, who invited him to attend a Nation of Islam talk in Miami, and in 1967 The Prince had a huge top 40 hit in the UK with the single Al Capone. Campbell returned to the UK charts in 1998 with his song Whine and Grine, which was used in a Levi's advert.
Tweets came in from fans and industry figures alike, including DJ Rob Da Bank and reggae mainstay David Rodigan, who said: "It is with great sadness that I have just learned of the death of Jamaica's music icon and pioneer, Prince Buster. A true music legend".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 07:25PM by madisimmons.
Re: R.I.P. PRINCE BUSTER
September 08, 2016 07:11PM
Dennis Alcapone wrote greetings FB Family and Friends. Another Great Man from our Music Industry Has Past Away this morning. The Great Prince Buster. Buster Got a Stroke a couple of Years ago and sadly never Recovered. I will post more on this matter later. Condolences to His family and friends. R I P. Prince. Very sad right now.
September 08, 2016 10:26PM
September 09, 2016 12:21AM
September 09, 2016 01:07AM
Fly away & be at rest

September 09, 2016 11:35AM
Dennis Alcapone wrote:

Greetings FB Family and Friends. The Great Man went to His Bed last night and never wake up. It might sound morbid but that's the way I would like to leave this Earth when my time come no pain. Prince Buster was one of my musical Heros. In the early days growing up in Jamaica I could not wait for the next Buster Release. Hits after Hits. His Sound System Prince Buster the Voice of the People used to Play near my Home on Waltham Park Road 28a Dance Hall. I used to jump the Fence to get in as I could not pay at the gate. That's where we heard all of the Prince Buster new releases. Time longer than Rope. They got to come. They Got to Go. Wash Wash. Judge Dread. Madness. Fowl Thief. Shaking up Orange Street. Enjoy yourself. Hard man fe Dead. Rough Rider. And the list goes on. How can we forget that musical feud He Had with Derrick Morgan when He Did Blackhead China Man. For sure Prince Buster u touch a lot of people life. You will be sadly missed. Prince Buster u left a Legacy of music for the next Generations to come and enjoy like we enjoyed your music. Travel Good Prince. R I P.
AJ
September 09, 2016 04:33PM
I was first introduced to Prince Buster with the 2-Tone Label in 1980.......with The English Beat, The Specials & Madness. What a great period of music, on record & live.

It seems just like yesterday we were skanking to Prince Buster @ SNWMF 2003. Late afternoon, a little skanking dust being kicked up, up front and just a jolly good time.

RIP
September 09, 2016 09:33PM
pic from tommy far east
September 10, 2016 12:42PM
September 10, 2016 08:04PM
September 10, 2016 09:28PM

Buster at SNWMF
September 10, 2016 10:24PM
September 11, 2016 10:28PM
September 13, 2016 01:17PM
poster design by sophie lo
September 13, 2016 02:37PM
mick sleeper tribute
[www.mixcloud.com]
September 17, 2016 12:00AM
September 20, 2016 08:00PM
Gaz Mayall wrote:

Me & the mighty Prince Buster, Voice of the People. Off to Kingston, Jamaica for his funeral this Saturday 24/09/2016. Great man, true friend, champion of the underdog. Sorely missed. We'll give him a great send off, fit for Kings for this musical giant. Cool ruler from the label with a better stable. Creator & peacemaker. Rougher than rough, tougher than tough. True legend, Jamaican international superstar gone home. Rock n Roll, Rhythm n Blues, Ska & Reggae Royalty. Rest in Peace with the Gods & your maker dear man. You lit up the world wherever you went. Your light shone bright wherever you went. May your spirit & works live on eternally. Blessings to the bigger boss & all who survive him. One love, one people. To quote the great man... We live in a glass house. So don't throw stones!
September 21, 2016 01:03AM
September 21, 2016 01:08PM
Any word on where in kingston the funeral is?
September 23, 2016 10:20PM
Received word today that his funeral is tomorrow at the Central Mosque here in Kingston
September 24, 2016 11:56AM
September 25, 2016 01:55AM
Prince Buster's Janaza (funeral prayer) happened today and was a beautiful experience. He was well loved and many from both the entertainment industry and the Muslim community came out to pray for him. It was amazing to see so many different people from various religions and backgrounds all at the mosque to pay their respects to the brother
September 25, 2016 12:15PM
September 26, 2016 11:00PM
September 29, 2016 02:07AM
September 30, 2016 11:03AM
Larry HeavyweightSound Hacken Here's the link to listen now or later: [archive.org]
October 02, 2016 11:00PM
October 09, 2016 10:53AM
October 21, 2016 06:58PM
michael turner

Buster at SNWMF

Thanks for posting this video Mike. I was there for this set, front left, I can even see myself in the video.

Being a big ska fan, I was fortunate to get to see both Prince Buster and Derrick Morgan live at SNWMF, and for that
I wish to thank Warren Smith for making that possible. Unique opportunity indeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login