Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reggae/riddims in pop music/edm/rap these days

Posted by Dondaren 
reggae/riddims in pop music/edm/rap these days
September 12, 2016 04:00AM
just wondering how everyone feels about reggae in the mainstream Music These Days...I don't really pay attention to stuff on the radio much...but it feels like everyone finally realizes how amazing our music/culture is...even drake and rhianna lol. what's everyone's thoughts ??? just curious

stay blessed

d.
Re: reggae/riddims in pop music/edm/rap these days
September 12, 2016 12:34PM
i listen to pop radio at work
i think all the subtle and overt reggae influence is positive
for the genre as a whole because it keep reggae out there in people's ears/psyche. would it be better for a reggae vet to get national notoriety over Magic! with Rude? it would be nice, but as discussed here in the past
the calireggae style groups are the headliners these days and the jamaican are the openers at redrocks shows.
rihana is bajan and always had a dancehall inflection, but as you say to hear drake sing "cock up u bumpa sit down pon it"
is funny.

of course it's to be noted the stealing goes both way the 60's reggae was built on many cuban and american soul songs copied directly. ...

the more the merrier and the wish is someonw with a cursory glance at the carbon copy will dig one day for the
original and if there's a sample used that hots big hopefully the vet can eat some food off of it.

September 12, 2016 01:19PM
re: stealing

imagine if the germans, swedes, dutch, japanese etc, responded to charges of cultural appropriations by taking back
their music production technology ? computers, drum machines, production software, anything that uses electricity

also, lets not forget reggae music is based on western european music structures. thats a big one..

at some point folks need to take a major step back and realize this whole music thing is made possible by the global community.

take away the western musical structures and the western technologies, and you are left with a bunch of people banging on dirt or empty coconut shells.

so give thanks for the order in which things are set. each nation builds upon the blessings contributed by a next.
September 12, 2016 01:29PM
btw.. since 1992 every few years or so, pop sees a number of reggae influenced productions.
this latest run of reggae-ish pop tunes is just part of the cycle. it will die down again, then
spring back up in another 2+ years
September 12, 2016 08:27PM

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
September 12, 2016 08:45PM
bigvein
btw.. since 1992 every few years or so, pop sees a number of reggae influenced productions.
this latest run of reggae-ish pop tunes is just part of the cycle. it will die down again, then
spring back up in another 2+ years

Ya if you have been paying attention to the cycle of popular music over the years reggae has always been a flavor that comes in and out. The Police would be an example.
September 12, 2016 08:49PM
I don't mind it. Brings higher visibility to the source inspiration IMO. I really like this one. Feels like calypso/soca to me once the hook drops. Bassline is real nice. I thought it was a black girl singing before I looked up the video too. They play this on the kids station on Sirius all the time (I have three boys under 10). This tune makes my head bop and my feet tap.

September 12, 2016 09:00PM
right.. figured there was too much of a break between the late 70s until the next wave of reggae pop hits.
so i just started at 1992 and hoped no one would call me out and mention the police/clash.

of course there was men at work(had some reggaeish tunes), eddy grant, musical youth, all around 82-83.

then maybe ub40 in the late 80s with red red wine(even though it came out in the early 80s)

in the rap game, you had huge reggae themes from 90-92.krs-one, special ed, prt, brand nubian, quen latifa, heavy d, jamalski, etc, etc, ec.. i mean, we are dealing the children of west indian people.. so not too suprised.

back to the pop side.. in 92-94 you had ace of base, big mountain, inner circle, snow, ub40(again)

come in 1995-1997 you had green day, sublime, no doubt, sugar ray super cat(??)

i think shaggy ran things from the late 90s into 2000s.

2004-2005 you had sean paul, damian marley, explosion of reggaeton.

2007-2008 you had lil wayne with his stripped down dancehall riddim on a milli..

???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 09:05PM by bigvein.
September 12, 2016 09:20PM
oh yeah.. in the early 2000s, you had r kelly putting out a few reggae influenced sides.. anthems even.. bangers..

snake
slow wine
<another one i cant remember>

i would even go as far to say that timbaland's beats are heavily influenced by dancehall riddims.
September 12, 2016 09:48PM
September 13, 2016 04:47AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login