Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ROTR V.S. SNWMF

Posted by Humboldt Lad 
ROTR V.S. SNWMF
April 13, 2004 09:53PM
Hey, I'm a Humboldt Local have gone to many Reggae one the River's and know all the in and outs of the venu etc.
BUT I have never gone to the Much heard about Sierra Nevada World Music Festival... How does it compare? I assume it's still a great vibe and looking at the line up their will be no lack of musical tallet.
Any body been to both events that would like to compare?
Pale Ryder
Re: ROTR V.S. SNWMF
April 14, 2004 10:15AM
Yeah, I would like to compare. ROTR's only advantage is the river. You can swim and cool off and you cant do that at sierra, there is no place to swim on the festival grounds. However, at sierra there is less of techno teenie bopper scene. So you wont find everyone tripping on acid and X. In my opinion the vibe is better, and the audience seems much more mature and into reggae.....
solid rock
April 14, 2004 10:29AM

> advantage is the river

ummm, if you're willing to swim in that "water"

i used to but once i thought about it i wasn't that into it
Pale Ryder
April 14, 2004 10:35AM
Yeah I hear you solid, but if you swim at the upstream end it is very clean...
April 14, 2004 11:48AM
Swimming in the mucky river or going stinky for 4 days? I took my chances with the river.
April 14, 2004 12:07PM
Greetings all,
SNWMF is a 10
ROR is a 8.5-9
Yea more bad stuff happens at ROR than SNWMF
and after the 6th ROR I would not swim in the river by the festival too many bad things floating down river,,, UPSTREAM is Kool to swim.
Oh,, SNWMF has a better lineup for days
One Love
Al

Stevo
April 14, 2004 03:29PM
the squawfish don't seem to mind. the salmon are a little more picky I think.
April 14, 2004 10:12PM
In the Last two years (which also have been the largest) the river has been fairly nice, mainly due to people having more respect plus cooler weather over-all. Does anyone know the crowd size at SNWMF? above 10k?

It's funny but I've had a few people say their is more of a City vibe at Sierra Nevada? Is this really true? From all other reports I hear it's a great respectful rootsy festival.

Be happy.
April 14, 2004 11:56PM
City vibe? Nah, don't think so. I don't think you could stand in the middle of Angel's Camp and call it a city vibe. Nice friendly vibes flowin through Frog's Town.

Can't say for sure about the size, though probably not over 10k. The lack of overcrowding is one of the many advantages this festival has over ROTR.

Not my place to bash ROTR though. The lineup is shaping up to be the best one they've ever had this year....Bunny, Barrington, Nasio, Capleton, Midnite, Luciano, Quinto Sol, Steel Pulse, Bounty Killer, Spearhead.

I enjoy each festival for what it is. I'm just glad I'm blessed enough to go to both of them this year.
Stevo
April 15, 2004 12:22AM
I think Sierra is now reaching over 10K in attendance. If it's not, I'd be surprised.
City Vibe? Nah, but it's definately easier to cruise around the campground, with more areas accessable. So in that sense, it free's people to intermingle with all. I guess it could be interperated as a city vibe. I don't know, free trade? It's kind of ridiculous, the partitioning of certain areas @ ROTR. SSSSHHH! The vols are sleeping. When your in the back and you try to cruise down past the roc-med booth..............DENIED!
-Stevo
April 16, 2004 07:33AM
and the saga continues...
April 16, 2004 12:41PM
I went to rotr every year from the 3rd rotr up till about 3 years ago. I have not been the last 2 years but did go to snwmf.

Allthough nothing is quite like rotr. I was getting disapointed to see so many slackers in the camping area and I was robbed there a few years ago along with many others in the area I camped. Robbed of ice chest and all in it and c.ds which where in my tent. Seems a lot of thiefs get in somehow for the day and hang out in the camp areas. I heard of plenty thefts the last couple of times i was there. Also, I Was getting tired of the techno beat scene in camp area. Whatever happened to the good old days with the large drumming sessions?? Oh well, things change. Seems like rotr has changed but still I would not down play it. As I said there is nothing like it.

Right now I prefer snwmf for the smaller crowd ( which is not a more citified crowd at all!) , the still mellow vibes in the camp area, and for me it is closer to go to. Yes, it is dusty and there is no river but there are alot of nice grassy, shady areas to chill out.
April 16, 2004 02:14PM
NO COPS AT ROTR!
Acacia
April 16, 2004 03:26PM
Never seen cops at SNWMF either.
April 16, 2004 03:38PM
What does city vibe mean???. just wondering.. Acacia wrote:

> Never seen cops at SNWMF either.
April 16, 2004 04:52PM
first year at angels camp i saw a few uniformed cops wandering through. i got the impression that they were just there to see what the heck was happening rather than hassling anyone. haven't seen any since.
April 19, 2004 09:44AM
hey, ive been to both for many years....seen the go around of both fests.snwmf is by far my favorite due to these facts.....camping is better...no rocks or sleeping up hill...their are working showers......the stank river at rotr is STANK after the first hour.....CAN I SAY RASTA vibes at SNWMF....No hassles getting into the camp ground.....YOU were wrong about the cops, only once did they show upin angels....they are always there at rotr---you are just not noticing them..its more of a family event at snwmf.....Not to many city folks here,but a ton of bay area and so cal peeps at rotr(if these areas are not city then what do you consider city folk?huh) oh cant stand the techno and ravers walking around with redbulls and pills flashing lights on their heads screaming out the top of their lungs so NO ONE CAN SLEEP A WINK!

see you all in angels camp
snwmf family

p.s thanks to warren and gret for a irie time
April 19, 2004 10:03AM
Yea I Believed last 2 years at SNWMF There was about 12,000 - 15,000 People but This years gonna be the biggest one yet, Im actually hoping it doesnt explode with people this year!
But yea SNWMF Is a Big ONE 0, ROTR Is a little more chemicaly endowed
and a few less Awsome Vibes Floating off mostly everyone!
SNWMF Wins My vote- The Best Festival in The USA I Say! =)

Happy Trails
jb welda
April 19, 2004 10:59AM
i think your estimates are way high, pkw...those numbers would make for very VERY happy (but stressed out) promotors.

one love
jah bill
April 19, 2004 11:06AM
so, what is the average turn out? 7-9k?
jb welda
April 19, 2004 11:44AM
i dont think i would hazard a guess but i was just discussing this very thing with someone who would be in a position to know, yesterday.

one love
jah bill
April 19, 2004 11:51AM
NO contest here. rotr lion has grown to BIG for itz cage & snwmf has much more room to graze. although a reggae swim is kool & everyting keep the pride alive here with the muzak. ^but dis year im waiting for bunny to play dreamland for rotr. would make it worth the $150.00 so to speak if iNi could see dat! ha-ha ites*
April 19, 2004 02:04PM
i love spinnin this show i enjoy all the people involved no hassles....give it up to the DJs at SNWMF...ive heard we do it up better than ROTR
April 19, 2004 03:30PM
who really cares (other than promoters) if "we" do it better than rotr or anyone else. just enjoy the festival without comparing.

ps vibes are better than rotr.
April 19, 2004 10:05PM
im pretty sure midnite dread ownz way more recordz than both you guyz put together but his mixx compared to yourz im not sure about @ dis point. please send iNi your demo for reveiw. itz all in the dub i*drenz* -RASpects+
April 20, 2004 09:42AM
Yes Your right

Happy Trails
April 20, 2004 10:06AM
jahmeek - what are you talking about now?? i can't seem to find any mention of midnite dread or anyones mix? are you into the coffee again??
April 20, 2004 10:53AM
does not midnite dread control the river dj scene for along time now? did you or did you not mention your a better dj? if not your just patting hum native'z commit. coffee? well it'z been monthz but anywayz -RASpects+ p.s. still would like to catch ya demo.......
April 21, 2004 12:33PM
quero poder ter a oportunidade de comprar o DVD de show do evento no detalhe DEZARIE.Jahmeek wrote:

> does not midnite dread control the river dj scene for along
> time now? did you or did you not mention your a better dj? if
> not your just patting hum native'z commit. coffee? well it'z
> been monthz but anywayz -RASpects+ p.s. still would like to
> catch ya demo.......
April 21, 2004 12:33PM
quero poder ter a oportunidade de comprar o DVD de show do evento no detalhe DEZARIE.Jahmeek wrote:

> does not midnite dread control the river dj scene for along
> time now? did you or did you not mention your a better dj? if
> not your just patting hum native'z commit. coffee? well it'z
> been monthz but anywayz -RASpects+ p.s. still would like to
> catch ya demo.......
April 22, 2004 09:45AM
Yeah mon, I been to both several times.
Personally I like SNWMF. There seems to be a more conscious crowd, especially since it's been moved from the other location. Also I like the fact that there is grass and trees there. The campground is not all rocky, like ROTR,
to me, at SNWMF it's a much better vibe..it's hot, but it always seems hotter at ROTR,,,probably cuz the trees and grass at SNWMF makes a difference...
there is the river at ROTR, but it isn't really a good river to swim in it's very shallow only a foot or so deep ,,,kinda nasty too with so many people baathing, pissing, lounging and doing whatever in it,,
..sometimes the lineup is better at one festival than at the other,, but I'm talking more about the people and location at SNWMF, it's a better venue... Personal opinion.
April 22, 2004 10:04AM
Much Agreements
April 22, 2004 11:34AM
-hey mystree+ not dat im not following ya or anyting but the river is much more than 1 foot deep. i* would be unhappy aswell trying to swim in dat but try take a few steps out itz much deeper than a foot. peace*
April 25, 2004 01:22PM
Just wanted to let you all know that cops can almost always be seen at some point during the festival at both SNWMF and ROTR. They aren't there to come and bust up your scene, they are there to keep you safe and rid the fest of any evil-doers.

April 25, 2004 02:06PM
would like to think police were on hand when their iz this many people doing what ever dey please. but truth iz production security can handle the jerk offz pretty well on there own in a concious fashion. thing dat seperates police from the community event iz festival grounds. its private property vs. public land. cops tend to over rule everything when they feel it iz their rights to walk on a public ground. so problem iz not police here. good cop or bad donut. i* hear u empress. itz really promoter @ fault if dem rent from city, county, ect. nice up all the "private" camp grounds who host iNi mazzive! nuff RASpects everytime. itez*
April 26, 2004 09:16AM
My Jah I Can't Wait!!!
April 26, 2004 11:04AM
Greetings to all...hope everyone is enjoying our Cali weather this spring! Plant some seeds and soak up rays, it's what we should be doing all the time, eh? Now is the time, get up stand up!! I thought I should throw in my 2 cents worth since I am a addvocate for the SNWMF. I am now approaching 33 and have been going to ROTR since 88 (damn long time ago Mon!). In 91 i moved to upper Mendo and got very involved in the venue, at the time seemed like a cool thing to do as well as free entry. Over the years I got very disappointed with the structure and a bunch of hippies on power trips. Not what I thought it was all about thats all, so I quit working and found peace in giving up the $$ instead. My friends and I went to the first SNWMF in Marysville (wierdoville I named it). Loved the line-up, the cost and the best part was the people, or lack of. Now since it has moved to Angels Camp and the venue is 99% better, shady camping on grass or soft dirt, no wierdo's or citfied hip-hopsters, killer stages and irie dancehall afterward, best shopping and food...there may not be a river to dip yourself in (dont forget its only June and that wtr is COLD!!), but the festival and music is what I'm there for anyway so I make sacrifies.
SNWMF BEATS OUT ROTR FOR SERIOUS REGGAE BUSINESS!!

CHECK IT OUT!!

See ya'll there winking smiley

Indeed SNWMF!!
April 26, 2004 11:05AM
Greetings to all...hope everyone is enjoying our Cali weather this spring! Plant some seeds and soak up rays, it's what we should be doing all the time, eh? Now is the time, get up stand up!! I thought I should throw in my 2 cents worth since I am a addvocate for the SNWMF. I am now approaching 33 and have been going to ROTR since 88 (damn long time ago Mon!). In 91 i moved to upper Mendo and got very involved in the venue, at the time seemed like a cool thing to do as well as free entry. Over the years I got very disappointed with the structure and a bunch of hippies on power trips. Not what I thought it was all about thats all, so I quit working and found peace in giving up the $$ instead. My friends and I went to the first SNWMF in Marysville (wierdoville I named it). Loved the line-up, the cost and the best part was the people, or lack of. Now since it has moved to Angels Camp and the venue is 99% better, shady camping on grass or soft dirt, no wierdo's or citfied hip-hopsters, killer stages and irie dancehall afterward, best shopping and food...there may not be a river to dip yourself in (dont forget its only June and that wtr is COLD!!), but the festival and music is what I'm there for anyway so I make sacrifies.
SNWMF BEATS OUT ROTR FOR SERIOUS REGGAE BUSINESS!!

CHECK IT OUT!!

See ya'll there winking smiley

Pale Ryder
April 26, 2004 11:06AM
nuff said!
April 27, 2004 01:20PM
Silly head

Happy Trails
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login