“Falling Into Place" — Rebelution

“SOJA: Live In Virginia” — SOJA
Re: prediction of grammy noms
December 06, 2016 02:51PM
[Speaking for myself...]

.. and the winner is..... Everlasting - Raging Fyah
December 06, 2016 04:45PM
J Boog album is really good as is the Raging Fyah. . Ziggy will take it if they don't give the nod to Rebelution.

King Mas album is still my favorite of the year.

Beenie Man with a close second.
December 06, 2016 06:35PM
Write in vote: Frightnrs "Nothing More To Say"

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
December 06, 2016 07:41PM
Imma go WAY out on a limb and predict Ziggy with the win.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
February 13, 2017 01:42AM
i would rather ed sheeran than another marley..

February 13, 2017 01:59AM
February 13, 2017 01:59AM
February 13, 2017 02:21AM
we say it every year
if you want to fix the reggae grammys get involved become a voting member
[jamaicans.com]

[www.caribbeanlifenews.com]
February 13, 2017 03:04AM
but i thought reggae music is a rebel music ?

why the begging and whining for acceptance by the 'establishment'

these guys really need some consistent messaging...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 03:05AM by bigvein.
February 13, 2017 03:24AM
Ziggy won. Hmmmm....
February 13, 2017 08:20PM
DJ Treez
Imma go WAY out on a limb and predict Ziggy with the win.

Okay so maybe I wasn't too far out this time. Did anyone else know this?

"As if the Marley heirs aren’t already envied for winning the most Grammy awards in the reggae category during the annual presentations voted by members of the National Association of Recording Arts & Sciences (NARAS), now Orly Marley, the wife of six-time Grammy-winner David “Ziggy” Marley has just been elected a governor of the Los Angeles Chapter of The Recording Academy. Recently named to the governing body that decide eligibility for nomination and consideration for the coveted music honor, Orly has been married to Rita and Robert Nesta’s eldest son for nine years."

There you have it.

http://www.ieyenews.com/wordpress/orly-marley-named-to-govern-grammy/
February 13, 2017 08:31PM
yeah I heard this. I just look at it like this. The people who win Grammys are all connected in one way or another to someone in someway. Grammys have never really been about the best period. They have been about sales and popularity. I think they assume if your music is popular and you are selling that you must be one of the best. That is how it used to be. Now you just have to the the best of the other 12 people they put on the radio vs the best of 12,000. How else do you judge who is better etc. It exposes the problems with award shows anyway. How can "the best" be determined when it is a completely subjective experience? The best? the best what?
February 13, 2017 08:55PM
I dont think i have ever owned a Ziggy album and cant tell a single tune from his work.

Wasnt surprised he won. Grammys are awful.

BUT -

I didnt mind his message in his performance.

[www.grammy.com]
February 13, 2017 08:57PM
btw... grammys arent really an awards show.. it's a PR event for the music industry disguised as an award show.

same can be said for the tony's, oscars, etc.. all PR..
February 13, 2017 09:31PM
that is what I mean.. it is a show.. literally. I think the only actual awards show is when they award you a title after a prize fight. the rest is just as KRS ONE said many years ago.. "The Award shows for Pimps and Hoe's"
February 13, 2017 09:32PM
the Tribe Called Quest spot was dope though... except for Q Tips pants.... pants were not on point.
February 13, 2017 09:48PM
Ninja
that is what I mean.. it is a show.. literally. I think the only actual awards show is when they award you a title after a prize fight. the rest is just as KRS ONE said many years ago.. "The Award shows for Pimps and Hoe's"

yeah its a weird thing.. people are so offended as if someone's constitutional rights have been violated..

its a private event that happens to be broadcasted. they can hand out best album of the year to a mound of red ants if they wanted to..
February 13, 2017 10:20PM
it is like the NBA All Star game... people get upset because they don't think the real best players etc are in the game.. it is a popularity contest plain and simple... the new era of music with I Heart Radio playing 5 songs an hour and then telling you these are the "hottest songs" etc. You got Disney kids stars going being pushed down peoples throats as the next wave of musicians.. whether you like it or not.. This is why festivals like SNWMF are so important. People can see bands that are actually good and get to hear them live without filter.
February 14, 2017 01:33AM
It's funny to see Ziggy Marley performing live with some of the best musicians in the business ... As for instance, the legend : Vinnie Colaiuta on drums (etc) ... "But for me, manhe doesn't deserve the victory --> 2014,2015 and 2017 ... Man, that's enough" ... I mean, it was still cool to see Raging Fyah in Hollywood ! (big Up to you guys) ... That being said, it's clearly a business, so no matter who won what after all ... But, as a french guy : I got to say that I liked the show and some of the messages during the evening ...
---
Watch Beyonce Breathlessly Read Her Grammy Acceptance Speech Off A Golden Sheet Of Paper
[uproxx.com]

A Tribe Called Quest finally got its moment in the Grammy spotlight and the group made the most of it.
[uproxx.com]

[streamable.com] Bruno Mars’ kept the energy and momentum going by diving right into “Let’s Go Crazy” while rocking a purple-sequin ensemble and playing a white guitar in an overall outfit that embodied the late icon to the fullest. The performance was Mars’ second for the night after mesmerizing the crowd with his performance of “That’s What I Like” earlier in the evening. Filling Prince’s boots would be a large task for any artist but Mars owned the moment by singing, killing it on guitar and bringing the crowd to its feet in applause.

[streamable.com] Frank Ocean said he wanted to do the Prince tribute at the Grammys, but that job went to Bruno Mars. And Mars did a stellar job with support from the best help possible as The Time took the stage with him. In the end, they all did a tremendous job paying homage to the iconic musician who gave us “1999,” “When Doves Cry” and countless other classic songs.

The set opened with the Morris Day-led band dancing, grooving and ripping right through their early ’80s hits “Jungle Love” and “The Bird.” The song selection was fitting since both had the Purple Ones’ fingerprints all over them with Prince sharing writing and production credits on each. The Minneapolis-based pop/funk band rose to prominence in the mid-80s often touring with Prince and was included in the hit film Purple Rain. Watch their performance in the clip above.

Watch Sturgill Simpson And The Dap-Kings Honor The Late Sharon Jones At The 2017 Grammys
[uproxx.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 01:36AM by jahidren.
February 14, 2017 06:33PM
yeah its a weird thing.. people are so offended as if someone's constitutional rights have been violated.. its a private event that happens to be broadcasted. they can hand out best album of the year to a mound of red ants if they wanted to..

Its inevitable , I guess, that we focus on the acceptance of power and privilege to frame the objectivity of our reasoning. That's not the kind of world I want to live in; not to deny reality, but to caution our conscience; NOT throwing up our arms and just accepting something when we know it falls well below the standards of virtue and greatness.

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
February 14, 2017 07:25PM
how does any of that apply to the grammys ?

its an AWARDS show.. not a home loan, not a job, not a higher education application..
ITS AN AWARDS SHOW!!!!!! stop with the false oppression narrative...

plus...

why the undying need for any of these artists to be acknowledged by white america ?

didnt bob marley say, 'chase those crazy baldheads..' and now everyone is crying because
those baldheads arent inviting you to the party ?

arent the jaria or bet awards sufficient ? what makes them less prestigious than the grammys ? because
it's a white people thing ?

you guys and these rastas need to come up with some consistent messaging ...

papaken
yeah its a weird thing.. people are so offended as if someone's constitutional rights have been violated.. its a private event that happens to be broadcasted. they can hand out best album of the year to a mound of red ants if they wanted to..

Its inevitable , I guess, that we focus on the acceptance of power and privilege to frame the objectivity of our reasoning. That's not the kind of world I want to live in; not to deny reality, but to caution our conscience; NOT throwing up our arms and just accepting something when we know it falls well below the standards of virtue and greatness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 07:54PM by bigvein.
February 15, 2017 07:47PM
[m.jamaicaobserver.com]

"Sunday’s win by Ziggy Marley for Best Reggae Album at the Grammy Awards has ignited another wave of criticism" ..
February 15, 2017 08:09PM
Bob Marley also said.. "Play I on the R&B want all my people to see. Bubblin on the Top 100 just like a mighty dread". While I agree with a lot of what you are saying I think it is an overstatement to say the Grammy's only represent White America. They represent "industry" America and winning a Grammy get's you paid in the long run. You can charge more to book, you have more opportunities to work with other "mainstream" artists as well. It is all about money and connections but if you are trying to "make it" in the music BUSINESS it certainly helps.
February 15, 2017 09:06PM
if folks want to beg for acceptance, instead of building their own and making their own the new standard, then more power.
February 15, 2017 10:12PM
but seeing as how the main talking heads inna jamaica are stuck on the pros/cons of alkaline.. i dont see jamaica being in a position to build up an awards system that matters.. if they are not careful they wont even be in a position to build up a spliff...

one step forward ten steps backwards it seems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login