ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
Re: protoje winter dates
December 22, 2016 09:44PM
Protoje is going to blow Iration out of the water on this tour!!! The Indiggnation are super tight and were on point when I saw Oje earlier this year in 2016 at Observatory OC with the Green. He opened or the Green that night too and blew them out the water as well.

Just saw Iration last month at the racetrack in San Diego and my crew almost started falling asleep it was so boring.
January 06, 2017 09:45PM
listen as of now Iration has a bigger US following than Protoje. While I know who I would rather see a lot of people will go to the shows and have NO idea who Protoje is. Once he plays in front of these larger crowds people will know who he is and that will be that.
January 07, 2017 12:21AM
2 tix = $70+ for the Catalyst shows next week. That's a steep price, especially after a couple of drinks. Not sure seeing a short Protoje opening set and/or Iration is actually worth that much scratch.

As a comparison, the Stamina All Stars (Herb's crew) with Rusty Zinn are playing at the Crows Nest on the beach for what appears to be NO COVER tonight. Now that's a great reggae value.
January 07, 2017 04:51AM
Not even close to the east coast
January 07, 2017 05:25AM
you can say it isn't worth it but it will still be sold out. That is why they charge that.
January 07, 2017 08:46PM
imo, there's a slight flaw in the idea that Protoje will be suddenly be known to all these unknowing "reggae heads"... in that historically the majority of people going to see Iration (or: insert whatever headliner) won't show up till said entity is set to play... we see it time and time after time...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
January 09, 2017 03:15PM
sure I agree there will be a lot of people who miss out.. however playing in front of known bands is the best way to get known yourself. We can tell people all day long but I am 40 a lot of people don't listen to "old men" about what is good. They need to see it for themselves. Those who show up will be like "who is this?". He isn't as "unknown" as he used to be either. They will be fine, they have the skill set so the rest if just a matter of time IMO.
January 09, 2017 05:02PM
Heading up to Arcata on the 23rd to see Protoje. Iration isn't performing that nite otherwise I wouldn't go. Then the Mateel starts a great winter of reggae. On the 28th, Tribal Seeds, Raging Fyah and Natalie Rize for $20. On Feb. 8th, Steel Pulse, on Feb 15th Isreal Vibrations and then on March 24th Chronnixx!!

Love that reggae
January 09, 2017 06:44PM
and thus reggae remains a divided diaspora with people not supporting certain acts because of their style and people loving others because of theirs. And you want the Israeli's and Palestinians to get along?
January 09, 2017 07:44PM
Well, I'm trying to see the positives about this run.... I will get to see Protoje 2 days in a row at the best venue in Seattle (he wouldn't be at this venue if he was by himself.) And I may even get to leave a show before the end if Iration doesn't cut it for me.
January 09, 2017 08:33PM
I've seen Iration 3 times........They just don't do much for me. I had to laugh when I read that somehow because I don't want to see them that I don't want to see Palestinians and Israelis get along. REALLY? Arcata is a 2 hr drive from my home and can be difficult in the middle of winter. It will be my son's birthday and he wanted to see Protoje so I agreed because he is the only one performing. I support all music and the creativity behind it.
January 09, 2017 11:27PM
@Ninja - 40 is old? C'mon man, 40 is the new 20! cool smiley
January 10, 2017 12:29AM
Protoje has played Santa Cruz at least 5 times (that I've seen) with the last 2 as the opener for sold-out Rebelution shows. (I saw 1 of those) He absolutely shelled Moe's Alley the first 3 times I saw him. His Catalyst shows as a headliner and then opener were somewhat less interesting and engaging. Still excellent, but not as hard and heavy.

Seems like he's trodden the path plenty and is still seeking a following among the youngsters. He's playing often, but not heading towards the headlining spots out here on the west coast. Same with Chronnix, which did not sell off the last show here.

The reggae revival seems to be more for the 40+ year-olds that remember the reggae that is worth reviving.
January 10, 2017 12:42AM
jahsprey
The reggae revival seems to be more for the 40+ year-olds that remember the reggae that is worth reviving.

too funny, but quoted for truthiness.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
January 10, 2017 01:09AM
Chronixx didn't sell out in Santa Cruz? Wow, that's hard to believe! Seems like original reggae music is dead in California then...
January 10, 2017 01:11AM
Reggabe. It was about 70% full. Kinda nice, actually. Room to move.
January 10, 2017 02:51AM
Didn't he play an early show at the Catalyst atrium? That might explain why...
January 10, 2017 03:40PM
Wasn't saying you are for a one state solution... was saying that not going because of one band when you would drive to see the other band is similar to me saying I will go to a party but not if so and so is going. That is all. I have been wrong before (once is the early 1980's) so don't lose sleep over what I have to say.... 40 is the new 20 I agree... I am not sure people who are 20 do though
January 14, 2017 04:15AM
sad smiley

ANy thoughts on how long Protoje might play?

$20 a tix and plan on leaving after his set ends. Sorry - Iration - just not scene.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login