Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RIP Nambo

Posted by Ras_Adam 
RIP Nambo
January 25, 2017 12:17PM
Condolences Ras James

Rest in Paradise bro Nambo. give thanks for so many thousands of musical gifts you left us with. Thankful for seeing you in Rochester one last time. May Allah bless your soul
a
Re: RIP Nambo
January 25, 2017 12:57PM
January 25, 2017 06:18PM
Video :

------------------------------------------------------------------
Dennis Brown Classic Show @ Montreux Festival, Track Is Called "Don't Feel No Way" With a very Good Brass Section.

Drums : Devon Richardson
Bass : Lloyd Parks
Lead Guitar : Earl Chinna Smith
Rhythm Guitar : Bo Peep
Keyboards : Franklyn Bubbler Waul
Trumpet : Chico Hamilton
Alto Saxophone : Dean Frazer
Trombones : Nambo Robinson & Lloyd Carr
Percussions : Ruddy Thomas

Message from Harrison Stafford :
-----
Ronald "Nambo" Robinson Returns To Zion

It hurts my heart to write this...only days after working in studio with Nambo laying down tracks for Pablo Moses' next album this morning I get the news that the legendary Jamaican trombone player has passed away. Nambo's horn can be heard on classic recordings from such artists as Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, and Jimmy Cliff. A soul that will deeply be missed from the musical world and someone who always shinned a positive light on all situations. We send you love and protection on your journey Nambo; The man may be gone, but the music lives!
January 25, 2017 08:22PM
Stephen Cat Coore wrote

"I WISH TO EXPRESS MY OWN AND ON THIRD WORLDS BEHALF OUR DEEP SADNESS AT THE PASSING OF NAMBO...WHAT A HUMAN BEING HE WAS AND SPIRIT LIVES.
TO NAMBI HIS SON I SEND LOVE FROM THE COORE FAMILY, ESPECIALLY STEPHEN JR WHO IS SO CLOSE TO YOU ...BLESS AND REMEMBER DAD IS ALWAYS WITH YOU..."

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yabba Griffiths wrote:

"I just got the sad news that
Nambo Robinson has past on, He was one of the horn section that leave Jamaica with me in 1976. We tour North America from 76 to 1977.In a Group call Creation, With Eugene Gray as the leader. He left the group while we were in Atlanta to go back to Jamaica.
To me he was not just a great Trombone player, He was also a great musician and performer. May JAH rest his soul."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom Asher wrote:
"May the soul of our brother Nambo rest in peace and may his family and friends find comfort and peace in their time of grieving.
While on tour in 1997 with Burning Spear and the Burning Band of which Nambo was on Trombone I have many fond memories
of heartical reasoning with Nambo, Nelson Miller and Eugene Gray the 4 of us held daily reasoning in the front of the bus sharing
our thoughts and feelings on Jah Music, Rastafari, Islam, the beauty, spirit and wonder of this miracle of life we all share.
The last time I saw Nambo he was touring with Sly and Robbie on the Sinead O'Conner tour of which he was a bright light and
always ready and willing to share and shine his light. A few years ago I had the good fortune to see Chronix and the Zinc Fence Band
of which Nambo's son is a member after the show I introduced myself and told him how much I loved and respected his father and how
happy he must be to see his son following in his footsteps as a Roots Reggae Musician he smiled and said thank you a humble and
bright youth much like his father. Nambo may be gone from us physically however his spirit and light live on in the memories and music he has
given us and I am both thankful and blessed to have known him.
Peace and Love
Brother Asher"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SkyHighMauMau wrote:
Great Horns Man Nambo Robinson RIP Jah Guide Him On His Journey . Skyhighmaumau . Sly Dunbar #RastamanPassingBy

Prof. Harrison Stafford (Groundation singer) wrote:
Ronald "Nambo" Robinson Returns To Zion
It hurts my heart to write this...only days after working in studio with Nambo laying down tracks for Pablo Moses' next album this morning I get the news that the legendary Jamaican trombone player has passed away. Nambo's horn can be heard on classic recordings from such artists as Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, and Jimmy Cliff. A soul that will deeply be missed from the musical world and someone who always shinned a positive light on all situations. We send you love and protection on your journey Nambo; The man may be gone, but the music lives!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Andy Bassford wrote:

"My old We The People bandmate, Ronald "Nambo" Robinson, has passed. I will post a proper tribute later, when I have time to contemplate the immensity of this loss. The lion sleeps tonight. RIP."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dub Posse wrote:

On the air live @ 8 on [dublinsouthfm.ie] listen live button or 93.9 FM.Tune in for brand -new tunes from J Roots Music and a tribute to Nambo Robinson,Trombone King....

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reuben Pentateuch wrote:

last night after the reasoning and a big hug and nuff laughing the last thing you said to me was "Tomorrow mi a roll tru var so link up inna the light" so with tears of joy and sadness i say to u "uncle link up again inna the light zn" i think the session you have today will have to be done when we link up inna zion, yad on iyah.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sheila Hylton wrote:

Whats on my mind...I just died inside
with the awful news of jovial...kind
funny always with a smile and a wonderful and talented Musician.

January 25, 2017 08:24PM
Kevo Gitz wrote:

It was a pleasure sharing stages with you Sir! You taught us younger musicians alot. You took us under your wings when you started the Idren Workshop and exposed us to the world. I salute you Sir. SIP Uncle Nambo Robinson!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

My name is Ronald “Nambo” Robinson, and I am a veteran musician, vocalist, percussionist and recording artist in Jamaica. I am recognized among my peers as one of Jamaica’s foremost trombonists.

I have recorded with various artists such as Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, Jimmy Cliff, Lauryn Hill, Gregory Isaacs, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Beres Hammond, Shaggy, and Buju Banton. Also I performed live with Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, The Four Tops, Lloyd Parks and We the People, The Tony D’Acosta Affair, The Boris Gardener Happening, Light of Saba and Mystic Revelation of Rastafari. This vast array of experience not only made me a true expert in composing reggae music, but also exposed me to genres such as jazz, classical and rhythm and blues.

I have recently launched a series of shows that feature young Jamaica musicians. The purpose of this effort is to showcase these talented young musicians while celebrating the various genres of indigenous music such as Mento, Ska and Rocksteady.

I have launched solo projects with the release of four album/CDs, titled Reggae in my Bone, Nambone Ska, Nambo Sing and Play and Raw Roots Rock Reggae. Along with that, I perform regularly at studio sessions for many of the island’s contemporary artists.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom Ray Wrote
Today brings word of not one, but 2 musicians I held in great esteem that have died: Butch Trucks, founding member of the Allman Brothers Band, and Ronald 'Nambo Robinson, absolute master musician of Jamaica. I watched Butch so often in the 1960s, and it so happened we attended the same high school. Mr. Robinson was a stellar figure in reggae; I first saw him in the early 1980s, backing vocalist Dennis Brown. With Jaimo Johnson, Butch brought groove and poly rhythmic drive to their band. Give thanks to those who create the music...

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Yasus Afariwrote:

Guidance & Protection on your Journey, Brother Nambo Robinson, the humble, gentle GIANT ! Sadly missed but always with us !
Brother Nambo Robinson played on this track. I think he will be here with us, always etched in the memory of all humanity whose lives he touched.

Tony Gregory wrote:

Besides his greatness as a Trombonist & Showman,Nambo was a great human being.
Barry O'Hare & Myself was talking about him in the studio yesterday about having him play on another track on my new album that I'm recording. But he has decided to play on higher ground.Nambo I'm going to miss your friendship, your musicianship, but most of all your humidity.
Rest in Peace my brother. R.I.P.

Mikie Bennett wrote:

This earth has lost a great man a great talent with a great heart and smile many of us have lost a dear friend...shine on brother Nambo

A wonderful chance to listen to the musical artistry of the GREAT Nambo Robinson -- a rare video of him performing - and even singing -- that shows his skills and amazing talent on the horn! Share so that others who don't know may know. He will be missed. <3 <3
[www.facebook.com]

james Lord wrote:

Went back to sleep after fajr and woke up late to several messages informing me that my dear brother Nambo Robinson has passed. Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Raaji'oon.

In the years I've known him I have never known someone so overwhelmingly positive. Whether it was running into him at the masjid, the studio, a work event or anything else you could always count on that larger than life laugh and smile. Jamaica and Indeed the world has lost a really amazing person today. I pray that Allah blessed and forgives him and grants him the highest of Paradise. Walk good brother Nambo...

__________________________________________________________________________________

Derrick A Barnett wrote:
Lost a very good friend today
Nambo RIP. — with Leroy Pennicott.

Clive Hunt wrote:

In the early 70's I was asked to do the Horns arrangements for the 1st of 2 albums that Culture did for High Note Records. It was either Columbo or International Herb. The top Horns players of the day were not happy with my utterances, so they walked out. I had to find a horn section. I was always been hearing about a youth name Youthsax, and I knew Nambo from the group H.I.M. That night I went to Joncunoon (spelling?) Lounge, where I spoke to Youthsax after waiting for a long time as he was also one of the lead singers in the band. After him playing the SAX for a few bars, I went to the stage and spoke to him inviting him to the session, and went in search of "Bambino" my name for Nambo since. When I met up with Nambo, he did not want to hear or have anything to do with playing music at the time. He had given up on music and was now a bus driver. I would not give up until he said ok. Hence, Rass Brass the horn section. Youthsax (Dean Fraser) Nambo and myself. I always boast that this session was the session that brought Dean and Nambo into the mainstream of the recording industry. REST WELL MY BROTHER!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Michael Taylor wrote:

JAH have mercy on us all and forgive our sins .Here today gone tomorrow. It was Monday evening l saw the king by Half way tree and l hail him up.Can't believe this sad news.A great and humble man .Rest in Zion Nambo Robinson! !

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jennifer Chambers-Witter
Wrote:

Heartbroken and devastated over the passing of one of my dearest friends and a friend to many the world over, Nambo Robinson, a pioneer Jamaican musician who lived a life of selflessness, piety and love.

He taught me, both by his deeds, and through our many talks, that man's real purpose here on earth is to love and help mankind. The young musicians whom he inspired, motivated and encouraged will no doubt, among other things, feel a debt of gratitude. It's safe to say that you fulfilled your purpose here on earth, Nambo Robinson, you sure did. My life is forever enriched for having known you.

And to your family and legion of friends, my deepest condolences, and may they find comfort in the wonderful legacy of love and that infectious smile that will no doubt be forever etched in their memories.
January 25, 2017 08:35PM
January 25, 2017 09:53PM
Delvon Bulby Campbell wrote:

When I got the message this morning at 3 Am via text that my friend had passed. I thought I was seeing things. I started shaking with tears in my eyes thinking this might have been a mistake, and hoped It was'nt what I was seeing,then it finally hit me.Ronald Nambo Robinson a talented and accomplish Trombone player a friend a brother. He was part of the family I never had. We all shared the same roof for years. I recalled the many nights I would accompany him to his job outside of music at The Royal Bank Data Center while they process checks until the we hours of the morning. We shared a lot in common. Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, but always near; still loved, still missed and very dear. Your end, which is endless, is as a snowflake dissolving in the pure air.When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.Love is stronger than death even though it can’t stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can’t separate people from love. It can’t take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death. I will miss you Nambo. Sleep well dear friend.
January 25, 2017 09:58PM
January 25, 2017 10:09PM
I'm just in shock still trying to process this. As I wrote on Facebook earlier today, he is the most genuinely positive individual I've ever known in this business.

A man of real ethics with a huge heart. Nambo and I connected not only over music over the years but also because we both are also Muslims. If I can become the kind of man and muslim that Nambo was I'll have done pretty well in life.

He will be very missed both in the music community and the Muslim community and I will undoubdtedly miss someone who has served as a mentor, collaborator and overall wonderful friend & human being.
January 25, 2017 11:56PM
This one hurts.

Love that reggae!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2017 12:09AM by nomotrouble.
January 26, 2017 02:56AM
January 26, 2017 03:02PM
RIP Nambo - I have enjoyed your music for decades. Condolences to Ras James.
January 26, 2017 09:55PM
What a great man.
January 26, 2017 11:49PM

Love that reggae!
January 27, 2017 01:14AM
dean fraser discussing nambo on the air now
[www.facebook.com]
January 27, 2017 06:25PM
Larger than life

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
January 27, 2017 09:13PM
The janazah (funeral prayer) for our beloved brother Nambo Robinson will will be this sunday 12 noon at Masjid Al-salaam on Carlyle Avenue off Red Hills Rd (near Buju Banton's studio).
January 29, 2017 09:41PM
January 29, 2017 09:58PM
January 30, 2017 10:56PM
Yesterday we said our goodbyes to brother Nambo.

As a musician and producer it's tough... Nambo was the go-to person for Trombone in reggae music. Always ready to help out on a session even if the money wasn't big. The man was just as comfortable playing for an international icon like Aretha Franklin or a band of young kids just trying a thing in JA. He played on a number of my productions (he's especially all over the last Warrior King album).

But even moreso, he will be missed as a friend and brother. I became close with Nambo several years ago. We quickly became friends over not only a shared love of quality reggae music. but also a shared faith in Islam. Although we attended mosques on different sides of town we could reason about both those passions in life - on the religion we strive to live by and the music that we love. It can be hard to be both a good muslim and a good member of this music world, but he somehow managed both with ease. Yesterday was proof of just how well loved he was across the board. In all my years Nambo is THE only person i've come across in the music business who I've never met someone who has even 1 less than great thing to say about him.

Truthfully, his passing hurts on a lot of levels. Especially in this world where people like Trump want to convince people to hate and fear muslims, we should all just take a step back, and all work a little harder to Be Like Nambo...
January 31, 2017 04:18PM
January 31, 2017 11:59PM
Beautifully said Ras James!!

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
February 28, 2017 10:28PM
Was sitting on my veranda the other day and randomly heard one of my neighbors playing the Trombone... Made Nambo run on my mind again and put a smile on my face

#belikeNambo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 10:48PM by Dr Suess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login