Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No Gangster

Posted by Ras_Adam 
No Gangster
February 02, 2017 03:22AM
Re: No Gangster
February 02, 2017 03:54AM
looks like bob marley missed that memo..
February 02, 2017 01:11PM
nice! thanks for posting

Giving thanks!
February 02, 2017 03:16PM
Give Thanks
February 02, 2017 03:43PM
there is a difference from being a tough dude who isn't taking it from anyone even if that means a knife or a gun and a gangsta.. IMO.. Tune is BIG.. artist is BIGGER
February 02, 2017 03:47PM
February 02, 2017 04:00PM
great video.. big up Oneness on the riddim.
February 02, 2017 04:04PM
Ninja
there is a difference from being a tough dude who isn't taking it from anyone even if that means a knife or a gun and a gangsta.. IMO.. Tune is BIG.. artist is BIGGER

forcing island radio djs to play your music through physical threats/assualts fits into the definition of gangster.
February 02, 2017 04:14PM
no not really.. it is called "trying to eat". I don't consider people who loot during storms to be gangsters either. Al Capone was a gangster, Monster Cody was a gangster, Stringer Bell (everyone needs to watch the Wire) was a gangster, Omar (favorite character of all time) was a Gangster. Bob Marley was a poor kid doing what he needed to do to break into the Jamaican Music business.
February 02, 2017 04:40PM
Bob Marley was no Gangsta, Vybz Kartel a different story.
February 02, 2017 04:42PM
Ninja
no not really.. it is called "trying to eat". I don't consider people who loot during storms to be gangsters either. Al Capone was a gangster, Monster Cody was a gangster, Stringer Bell (everyone needs to watch the Wire) was a gangster, Omar (favorite character of all time) was a Gangster. Bob Marley was a poor kid doing what he needed to do to break into the Jamaican Music business.

at the time bob was using his crew to 'influence' radio play, he was already eating lovely!!
February 02, 2017 04:44PM
chronicom420
Bob Marley was no Gangsta, Vybz Kartel a different story.

why?

because bob is half white ?

while kartel is mainly full blooded african ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 04:44PM by bigvein.
February 02, 2017 04:56PM
Don't know why you bring race into it, there are gangstas of all colors. Why? Could it be because Vybz is a murderer!? Or how about because he and his "gaza" crew call themselves gangstas.
February 02, 2017 05:13PM

Junior X is the most underrated Reggae artist in the world. This is just 1 of his powerful messages.
He is all about positivity & I love that.
February 02, 2017 05:52PM
couple things... no because Bob didn't sing songs about killing people or having people killed and isn't locked up in prion for murder. That might have something to do with it. Second.. show some proof of what you are claiming. Show when and how Mr Marley threatened radio DJ's to play his records after he had already become an international superstar. I would like to see some evidence of this. PS the first Gangsters in this county were "white men". I don't think race has anything to do with being classified a "gangster".
February 02, 2017 07:47PM
its common knowledge bob employed heavies to do his dirty work.
since everyone wishes to ignore that fact, i just came back with some simple minded ignorant response.

"oh yeah, you racist... its because hes black, rae rae rae"

chronicom420
Don't know why you bring race into it, there are gangstas of all colors. Why? Could it be because Vybz is a murderer!? Or how about because he and his "gaza" crew call themselves gangstas.
February 02, 2017 08:01PM
hmmm where have I heard that lack of reasoning used before....

"Well Mr President do you have any evidence to back up your claim that 3-5 million people voted illegally?"

Trump "It is common knowledge that 3-5 million people voted illegally and since everyone wishes to ignore that fact I just come up with simple minded arrogant responses".
February 02, 2017 11:08PM
Marley had ties to the Italian mob back down to the street thugs of Kingston..

It's common knowledge to those who have been passionately studying the music from time.

Sorry if that destroy's your imagge of the always happy, one-love, spliff smoking guy, but its true.

Much like the fact that Ghandi was just as 'racist' against Black people as everyone's favorite imaginary white boogie monster.

[www.bbc.com]

"Racial segregation
In 1893, Gandhi wrote to the Natal parliament saying that a "general belief seems to prevail in the Colony that the Indians are a little better, if at all, than savages or the Natives of Africa".
In 1904, he wrote to a health officer in Johannesburg that the council "must withdraw Kaffirs" from an unsanitary slum called the "Coolie Location" where a large number of Africans lived alongside Indians. "About the mixing of the Kaffirs with the Indians, I must confess I feel most strongly."
"

Ninja
hmmm where have I heard that lack of reasoning used before....

"Well Mr President do you have any evidence to back up your claim that 3-5 million people voted illegally?"

Trump "It is common knowledge that 3-5 million people voted illegally and since everyone wishes to ignore that fact I just come up with simple minded arrogant responses".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 11:22PM by bigvein.
February 03, 2017 02:33PM
this is the type of stupidity I am used to on Facebook just not on this board. Sorry to destroy your opinion of me as someone who doesn't know what he is talking about of has his head in the sand when it comes to Mr Marley. I am well aware of his ability to threaten to get what he wanted. If you couldn't tell from my above statement saying something is common knowledge and then not providing proof makes you look either lazy or dumb.. perhaps both. If something is common knowledge like let's say the existence of dinosaurs I don't need to tell you it is common knowledge I can just show you several examples... just FYI... Frank Sinatra had lots of ties to the mob. I don't think I have ever heard anyone refer to him as a "gangsta"
February 03, 2017 08:17PM
well i would rather appear to be 'lazy and dumb' then to outright confess being scared of some imaginary situation that would never ever happen.
so stop with the faux-revolutionary speeches. you live in the freakn safest place to live in the states, portland or. so stop being some scared puss, quaking at the knees cause some imaginary man is hiding behind the trees looking to harm you and yours..

you have a greater probability of having to protect yourself in a true inner city location BECAUSE of you racial mixture. you will get
tested because of your light skin. no one in the freakn burbs is going to come at you because of who you are.. burbians wont test you cause you
have a slight tan.. but you will get tested by some savages because you have light skin.. so stop whining
about some imaginary kkk man, plotting and scheming.. that just sounds pathetic and weak my dude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2017 08:19PM by bigvein.
February 03, 2017 09:10PM
you appear to be obsessed with fear. No one mentioned fear or being afraid. You seem to have an equal obsession with projecting strength. Just so you are aware, I am not afraid of you or any other human. I just don't roll that way. It isn't about being fake or anything else. I am just simply not a fear based person. I am speaking for me alone. If you doubt it show up and try to put fear into my heart. It will be a waste of your time. Why you continue to show up and talk @#$%& on a social media post is beyond me but you must have nothing better doing on in your life. You aren't scary and you aren't threatening to my being in anyway shape or form. I look forward to you proving me wrong on this account. Bless Brother.
February 03, 2017 09:21PM
i never threatened you.. are you freakn serious ?

you said some kkk man would harm you and your kids.
i called that a fake scenario, and compared that with real situations.
i drew on my experiences to provide examples..
my posts get deleted for many reasons... you think if i ever threatened you
that the moderators would keep that up ?

sounds like are you the one trying to escalate the situation..

Ninja
you appear to be obsessed with fear. No one mentioned fear or being afraid. You seem to have an equal obsession with projecting strength. Just so you are aware, I am not afraid of you or any other human. I just don't roll that way. It isn't about being fake or anything else. I am just simply not a fear based person. I am speaking for me alone. If you doubt it show up and try to put fear into my heart. It will be a waste of your time. Why you continue to show up and talk @#$%& on a social media post is beyond me but you must have nothing better doing on in your life. You aren't scary and you aren't threatening to my being in anyway shape or form. I look forward to you proving me wrong on this account. Bless Brother.
February 03, 2017 11:57PM
BV you know I don't think you are threatening me.. that is silly. I am saying I think you have misinterpreted what I have said. Somehow you think I am afraid of people burning crosses in my lawn and someone kidnapping my kids.. I am not afraid of any of these things. I am not the victim and I can handle myself. I am talking about the people who are more likely to be targets than myself. You say these scenarios' are fake but we see dude walking into the church in SC and shooting up all those people Same with the Sikh temple. These things do happen to people. It doesn't mean I think they are happening to me or I live in fear, it just means I see it and recognize these as realities for some.
February 04, 2017 12:34AM
well lets be factual here... those instances are what, maybe 1 -2 a year, at MOST.
how many instances of savagery occur within the inner city every day ?
i can't even drive into the southwest side here without changing how i move.
i know you mentioned your height/weight, but i think i have you by almost 4 inches and a very lean 60#.
i mention that to say.. even with my size, i make sure to not make eye contact for too long at these
inner city gas stations, stores, whatever. many people care not about size, and have nothing to lose.
look the wrong way, have something you say perceieved the wrong way, and things escalate quickly.
i have a family and ALOT to lose.. so i choose to walk carefully whenever i travel deep into my city.

Ninja
BV you know I don't think you are threatening me.. that is silly. I am saying I think you have misinterpreted what I have said. Somehow you think I am afraid of people burning crosses in my lawn and someone kidnapping my kids.. I am not afraid of any of these things. I am not the victim and I can handle myself. I am talking about the people who are more likely to be targets than myself. You say these scenarios' are fake but we see dude walking into the church in SC and shooting up all those people Same with the Sikh temple. These things do happen to people. It doesn't mean I think they are happening to me or I live in fear, it just means I see it and recognize these as realities for some.
February 04, 2017 03:53AM
I've really liked everything I've heard from Samory I so far. This is a great video, too.

Ras_Adam

July 24, 2017 08:50PM
Samory I released his debut album "Black Gold" earlier this month and it's BIG! Produced by Rory Stonelove it's got some wicked beats on it. Reggaeville album review can be found here:

https://www.reggaeville.com/artist-details/samory-i/releases/mode/review/release/samory-i-black-gold/

Definitely worth a listen reggae fam!

August 14, 2017 10:45PM
Wow I finally listened to Samory I for the first time & I'm impressed! Bring him & RoryStoneLove to SNWMF 2018 25th anniversary!
August 14, 2017 11:08PM
Samory I's 'Black Gold' album is one of the best full length's I've heard in many years.

[www.RealitySounds.com]
[www.SantaCruzReggae.com]

rasta cruz reggae

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 01:46PM by DJ Spleece.
August 14, 2017 11:13PM
BV - still no links to back up Bob's gangsta activity? Saying it is common knowledge to anyone familiar with roots/Bob in general is a failed argument on this forum (unless you have a few posters backing you up, which I do not see). I don't profess to be an expert by any means, however I consider myself fairly knowledgeable regarding roots and reggae history. I would assume that once Blackwell got involved they were too busy promoting worldwide to worry about threatening local DJ's who would otherwise not have aired their releases? That sounds a little hard to swallow
August 15, 2017 02:49AM
Reggabe
Wow I finally listened to Samory I for the first time & I'm impressed! Bring him & RoryStoneLove to SNWMF 2018 25th anniversary!

Great idea, Rory has nuff nuff history with this fest. Would be nice for Mad Prof to touch the soundboard again too.
August 20, 2017 03:33AM
"Marley had ties to the Italian mob back down to the street thugs of Kingston.. "

OK....the claim 'ties to the Italian mob' is a stretch. Danny Sims lived in JA, but you can bet the JLP/PNP enforcers had a greater gravitational pull on BM than associates Sim had in Philly/New Jersey.

"forcing island radio djs to play your music through physical threats/assualts fits into the definition of gangster".

I have no doubt stories I've read & heard over the years about the above have an element of truth----BUT, given how the radio game in JA was played, and the nature of payola, it was a hardball play by BM, and those around in his entourage. Doesn't make him a saint, but I get it. Blunt Coercion in the reggae bizness did not start with BM; look at the stories surrounding Coxone Dodd, Striker Lee, Duke Reed, etc etc, right down to the murder not too long ago of Winston Riley, as well as Mr. Palmer's life sentence. My only point being, if Danny Sims had NEVER stepped foot in JA or associated with Marley, Bob's contact and experience with the actual Bad Men around the JA music bizness would have been a given anyway.

Hey, how would YOU FEEL back in the day if you were Bob, and everyone including their brother had airplay(Johnny Clarke had far better luck with Marley songs on radio in the 70s JA scene than Marley), but you were shut out?? Ain't saying it's right, but it doesn't raise to my criteria for 'gangster'...
August 31, 2017 05:08PM
Did any collectors order the overpriced 7"?
September 03, 2017 01:56AM
Rohan Dwyer mixed this tune. He is a master. Credit and Raspect due.
September 05, 2017 04:19AM
thelast
Did any collectors order the overpriced 7"?

How much should record producers charge for records? Last I check they are struggling to pay basic bills. How much do your services run? Pretty sure 300 people were happy to pay $20. Good tune, solid pressing and limited release.
September 06, 2017 05:10AM
No matter how good the cut I would say anything over $10 for a 7" new release "single" is overpriced. I hear you though on the producers struggling,
and I give serious thanks for those who do put tunes out on vinyl!! bless, i'll be lookin out for the repress/resale
September 07, 2017 02:30AM
Haven't been on for a while, and digging the music while I scroll through the reasonings. Thank You Ras A (great selection!) and others on this forum that always give a heads up to good tunes.
September 07, 2017 02:48AM
Now that's what I'm talking about. Good CD for my drive to and from work. thumbs up

DJ Spleece
Samory I's 'Black Gold' album is one of the best full length's I've heard in many years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login