Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has Capleton clarified his position on human rights?

Posted by so nice 
Has Capleton clarified his position on human rights?
February 02, 2017 03:24AM
i'm fairly surprised to see Capleton on the bill.

has he clarified himself on human rights?

and by that, i mean to ask if he's apologized clearly for the anti-gay, homophobic lyrics he's recorded?

if i missed it i'd like to know.

if there isn't one, i'll find myself wondering why this person is on the bill.

love is love.

to hell with hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 03:25AM by so nice.
Re: Has Capleton clarified his position on human rights?
February 02, 2017 04:07AM
overheard at a recent kabaka pyramid show by some guy hitting up on the woman at the table next to me (paraphrased but accurately):

i was in JA recently and caught a sizzla show. yeah, he brought the fire. you can't really get him here touring because of his talk and stuff--you know. but i mean, that's what he grew up with -- it's his culture, that's what he was taught. what are you gonna do?"

just change it slightly to see if you now find it offensive:

i was in mississippi recently and caught a (racist country singer) show. yeah, he brought the fire. you can't really get him here touring because of his talk and stuff--you know. but i mean, that's what he grew up with, that's what he was taught. what are you gonna do?"

nobody forgives racists because of their "culture" and how they have been raised, but if it's a reggae artist being extremely ugly & hateful towards gays, the apologists explain how it's because of their culture and how they were raised.

some folks will excuse a lot in order to get enjoyment. straight talk. (ha ha.)

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 02, 2017 04:07AM
just curious: why no questions about anthony b?
as far as I know the answer is no regarding both artists as well as so many others that have played and will likely play the festival again

Respect Same Way
February 02, 2017 04:38AM
Just cover your ears when he is on stage and pretend everybody thinks the same as you do.
February 02, 2017 05:22AM
mk: i hear people make that argument for racist artists and fans all the time

Respect Same Way
February 02, 2017 05:37AM
not on this board, tahoe, be real.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
February 02, 2017 05:56AM
not on this board ever but in real life it happens often... either freedom of speech is a thing or it isnt and according to the documents that define our nation, it is

its a tricky subject and a slippery slope but people have been given these freedoms and we need to respect them even if we disagree

Respect Same Way
February 02, 2017 06:00AM
The Reggae Compassionate Act

We, the artists of the Reggae community, hereby present this letter as a symbol of our dedication to the guiding principles of Reggae’s enduring foundation ONE LOVE. Throughout time, Reggae has been recognized as a healing remedy and an agent of positive social change.
We will continue this proud and righteous tradition.

Reggae Artists and their music have fought against injustices, inequalities, poverty and violence even while enduring some of those same circumstances themselves. Over the years, reggae music has become popularized and enjoyed by an unprecedented audience all over the world. Artists of the Reggae Community respect and uphold the rights of all individuals to live without fear of hatred and violence due to their religion, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity or gender.

While we recognize that our artistic community comprises many different individuals who express themselves in different ways and hold a myriad of beliefs, we believe firmly that the way forward lies in tolerance. Everyone can keep his own conviction and we must receive respect for our freedom of speech as far as we respect the law, but it must be clear there’s no space in the music community for hatred and prejudice, including no place for racism, violence, sexism or homophobia.

We do not encourage nor minister to HATE but rather uphold a philosophy of LOVE, RESPECT and UNDERSTANDING towards all human beings as the cornerstone of reggae music.

This Compassionate Act is hereby calling on a return to the following principles as the guiding vision for the future of a healthy Reggae music community:

• Positive Vibrations
• Consciousness raising
• Social and Civic Engagement
• Democracy and Freedom
• Peace and Non-Violence
• Mother Nature
• Equal Rights and Justice
• One Love
• Individual Rights
• Humanity
• Tolerance and Understanding

We, as artists, are committed to a holistic and healthy existence in the world, and to respect to the utmost the human and natural world. We pledge that our music will continue to contribute positively to the world dialogue on peace, respect and justice for all.

To this end, we agree to not make statements or perform songs that incite hatred or violence against anyone from any community.

ONE LOVE

Signed: Beenie Man, Capleton, Sizzla & Buju Banton
February 02, 2017 03:53PM
I wondered when this would come up. I have no doubt that he still feels the same way. I think most of the Caribbean artist feel this way. Most people who were raised "religious" in one area of the other have felt this way. I think it is only through exposure that people change. People meet people and come to know different circumstance. Ninja Man for one. When you are a kid you say ignorant things all the time. When you are an adult (and Capleton if fully grown) you should be able to examine your words, thoughts and beliefs. If they don't past muster you should abandon them. If you challenge Rasta with reason on this particular point you sill see that what a lot of them say is simply "cultural". It just so happens that this part of the culture should have been abandoned long ago. Judgement and Justice only Jah should execute is a phrase I have heard this artist say more than once. It is true. As a human being with a heart your job is to love and if you believe in a God above leave it to them to decide who is worthy and who is not. This life is short, spend it making friends, helping people overcome and shining like the sun. The rest is just tricks and pain. I hope Capleton has changed his views as he has traveled the globe and seen that humans come in all shapes, sizes, colors and persuasions. That would just renew my faith in the better nature of people.

PS the statement above isn't worth the paper it is written on. It makes me feel like some man think I am dumb.
February 02, 2017 04:10PM
Not to highjack this thread, but we saw last night in Berkeley what happens when people believe their right to shut somebody up is more important than the other persons right to speak. As divided as we seem right now, it is a whole new level of threat when you have black clad anarchists chasing people down in the street and beating them with truncheons. This is not overstatement, the videos came out this morning. True fascists protesting perceived fascism. I only bring this up because taken to its extreme, it is the logical conclusion of the path taken when one group tries to shut another group down.
February 02, 2017 04:18PM
Because of history we can see that there have been groups of people who bring war and violence down upon people for who they are and not what they do. These groups usually pick upon minority groups of humans. They had their day. IF they try to turn back the clock I am not waiting for them to burn a cross in my front lawn or abducting my kids. They and there message are not welcome because of the REAL threat they pose and not a perceived threat. Example... The Klan actually killed people for being black. They will tell you that racial minorities are destroying our country.. One is factual and one is perceived. I go with actual every time.
February 02, 2017 04:34PM
i'll respond just once more, because these threads almost always devolve into serious trash business after awhile...i don't enjoy the need to continually defend my right to safety and life.

the only point i was and still am trying make is about the folks who do post on this board, people just like you tahoe.

i am sure i'd be hard pressed to find anyone here who would willingly tolerate let alone encourage the speech of some kkk, hatefilled person spewing support & encouragement for hanging black folk from trees.

i would venture to say that most would LOUDLY fight it down and most likely none to a very select few would continue to rail on about this persons right to glorify killing black people and watching them swing from trees.

that said, many folks on this same board will bawl out for seeing artists that actually have spoken much like this in regards to gay people (mostly gay men). you can say this is not so, or give some reason (like free speech) that excuses it, makes up for it or allows it.

it doesn't change the fact that folks on this board come to the defense of artists who still publicly maintain a position of discrimination, oppression and sometimes death toward gay people. these artists are stoutly defended by some on this board and no one can deny this reality.

i am simply calling out the huge hypocrisy from people whose posts i read everyday on this board. to me they are quite simply apologists for the artists they love - and they choose to hold their beloved artists to a different (and lower) standard.

whether it's a black person or a gay person swinging from a rope on a tree, strange fruit is strange fruit.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
February 02, 2017 06:18PM
Ninja
Because of history we can see that there have been groups of people who bring war and violence down upon people for who they are and not what they do. These groups usually pick upon minority groups of humans. They had their day. IF they try to turn back the clock I am not waiting for them to burn a cross in my front lawn or abducting my kids. They and there message are not welcome because of the REAL threat they pose and not a perceived threat. Example... The Klan actually killed people for being black. They will tell you that racial minorities are destroying our country.. One is factual and one is perceived. I go with actual every time.

ninja.. no one is burning anything in your yard... stop with the over-the-top projections.
i live in 98% white somewhat upper-middle-class subdivision. my wife is clearly black.. her people are clearly black, no mixtures at all.
my kids are clearly black with long dreadlocks, the whole afro-centric bit. no one in my immediate family is shaking
thinking the klan is about to strike at any moment. my in-laws arent thinking about the klan or scary white men.
you give too much credit to 'white' people, by thinking their solidarity means the end of melanated peoples.
to me you place white people on high pedestal, as with their solidarity melanated peoples have no chance. as if melanated people are inferior and cant succeed or live if whites hold racist views.. sounds like you bought into the whole 'white supremacy' thing to me..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 06:19PM by bigvein.
February 02, 2017 06:31PM
Ninja

So pray tell Ninja.. when the miltants come to your in-laws, demanding all these things what are you going to do?
When they come to your grandparents asking for reparations, what are you going to do? They may even ask you
the same thing, since you hold a mix heritage. In the miltant's eyes you TOO are part of 'white priviledge'
So all this white guilt talk may work in your region, but you screaming this white guilt BS in any hood I know, it wont fly. No sir.

[dailycaller.com]

“White people, give your f****** money, your f****** house, your f****** property, we need it f****** all,” as another protester responds “reparations!”

“Pay the f--- up, pay the f--- up. It ain’t just your fing time, its your fing money, and now your fing life is devoted to social change,” she said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 06:40PM by bigvein.
February 02, 2017 06:36PM
i'll be skipping this set. dude NEVER appealed to me as any kinda real good singer of songs... aside from all the 'controversy.'

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 02, 2017 06:49PM
BV I hope you have a nice day.
February 02, 2017 07:21PM
Ninja
BV I hope you have a nice day.

point is, the progressive platform you stand on is upheld by various interests.
when you start throwing out the 'evil whiteman' argument, well one of those interests you in-directly align yourself with, can
point that argument back at your loved ones.

the trend i am seeing of late, claiming 'im down for the cause' isnt cutting it.
they are not checking your credentials.. if you have kids(grand kids) with a black person or what... all they see is white.
when it comes down to it, these people want money and a pound of flesh.
February 03, 2017 02:52AM
no disrespect to you brother octagon but if someone types out a writeup about x, y, and z and then adds some vocalist names to it... for me that's not nearly what an adult would want to do IF they clearly wanted to explain their position on something.

for me, letting old lyrics remain, and even letting gray area remain = trying to allow their calls to violence to quietly remain for those that love them, while trying to also capitalize on the earning opportunity of the US and EU novice listeners who might reject that rhetoric in all other parts of their lives.

in other words, anything less than making it really clear that they really regret those lyrics tells me they don't regret them.

one of my biggest regrets -- and those that remember me in my drinking days know i did things to regret -- is that i was once sad and foolish enough to broadcast these artists and lyrics. i didn't actually know what I was doing at first. but then i did, and because I wanted so badly to associate with what I thought was cool, I found excuses and reasons for "expression." my stomach sinks now when I realize how far off course I was, and how low i went in hopes of ascending up some misguided ladder of status.

i know better now, and i for one will have nothing to do with any show that features, amplifies, and glorifies this equally misguided garbage.

in other words, I am disappointed to see what I am seeing (on the bill).
February 03, 2017 07:45PM
More power to Capleton! Both times i've seen him it was pure positive vibes and love!

More power to SNWMF for making the right move and choosing to bring him.

For all those mad about it, look into yourself, eat ya burger, drink ya "local microbrew", smoke your "dank" and enjoy the OTHER stage.
February 03, 2017 07:52PM
and this is how Trump was elected. people who don't acknowledge reality. They just show up spout some nonsense and make off like yesterday's sunset.
February 03, 2017 08:00PM
PS.. I don't eat burgers (any more), I do love a micro brew (or 7) i don't smoke herb (anymore and not happy about it but oh well such is life) I do and have enjoyed the other stage more than once.. and plan to again. I am not against Capleton. I am just not supporting him. He won't miss me, I won't miss him. It is a mutual thing. We should let people do what they wish without mocking them IMO.. although the desire to mock you is KILLING me.. I shall resist.
February 03, 2017 08:20PM
enjoy ya watered down dub files and ya mellow mood. we like our vibes straight from the source!

p.s. ninja you are actually one of my favorite posters, very informed intelligent comments!

don't mind me, I'm just a random, bless!
February 03, 2017 08:40PM

speaking of the source...
February 04, 2017 03:54AM
I can't speak for the man's position or internal dialogue but I have done shows with him multiple times and seen him perform many times over the last 10 years and when playing in Northern California his message has been positive and his lyrics have stayed away from controversial/hateful topics. I also can't speak for what he might perform when in Jamaica.
Jusssyin
February 06, 2017 05:42PM
Great video Ninja loved it.
February 06, 2017 05:51PM
This is the full movie.. very good... lots of artists.. I found it funny that Baldini is called "watered down".. which I guess means "white"... I could care less what his skin color is or who his people are... this is legit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login