Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Reggae Revival' - I just don't see what's so special

Posted by reggaefan 
'Reggae Revival' - I just don't see what's so special
February 24, 2017 02:37AM
I'm sure it's not super irie to state such an opinion but that's what I'm feeling with this 'Reggae Revival' thing.

Yes, the artists and the songs that can be tossed into this category aren't bad but I don't think they [Chronixx, Jah 9, Protoje, Kabaka Pyramid & Jesse Royal] have done anything that out of the ordinary or great to deserve what seems to [me] be a lot of attention and praise. I find Chronixx to be the most interesting/talented of the bunch but the others - ehh, ehh.

I say this with the reference point of the artists and the tunes that popped up in the early-mid 1990s.... I find that time period and artists that really took off fast and plenty around then, if any, could have been called 'Reggae Revival' with a stronger case to back them up.

Artists like Luciano, Admiral Tibet, Morgan Heritage, Yami Bolo, Everton Blender, Tony Rebel, Sizzla, Lady G, Coco Tea and Bushman [a little later on] and many other artists all put out many more songs, and many more quality songs, in a short amount of time compared to anything coming from the 'Reggae Revival' artists.

Has Jah 9 or even Chronixx put out two or three or even 4 solid albums out like Tibet or Luciano did in such a short amount of time? I don't think so and I kinda doubt they will. That's not even counting or considering 45rpms, which would really make this comparison lopsided [imo]. I think I'm comparing hundreds and hundreds of great songs to barely a dozen ???

I've listened to a lot of the material from the 'Reggae Revival' camp and I can't seem to find any killa tunes compared to the many artists and tunes from the 1990s era that were strikingly great then and can still hold up today.

The music and message of Reggae coming from Jamaica just shortly before the early 1990s was rather inconsistent and mostly meaningless until Luciano, Tibet, etc etc turned things around quickly with stronger [cultural] lyrics and decent riddims, albeit many were rehashes of older riddims, which helped their cause]. Still, I remember a lot of people really taking notice of the big change in the music around that time and that's why if anyone/anytime should get a tag called 'Reggae Revival' it's them/then.

I believe most of this 'Reggae Revival' hoopla would have never taken off or garnered so much attention if it were not for the internet/social media [oh and Jimmy Fallon - Chronixx should call Jimmy Fallon everyday and thank him.] One can only say 'what if' If the artists and the music of the early-mid 1990s had the advantage of social media but that's how it goes.

I'm sure some will see this opinion of mine as 'hating' on the 'Reggae Revival' thing but it's not that.... their message is good, I just don't think it's as good as the hype.

As I said, I've tried to get into it but when the music and all that goes with it seems average at best, what can I do. On the other hand, when those artists/tunes were popping off all the time in the 1990s, that was some good/great stuff.

We'll see what happens. But the 'Reggae Revival' posse has a long way to go catch up and at this pace and quality, I'm not sure they have the talent or talented personnel to get them to where others got to in a very short amount of time and quality.

And yes, it's very tough and maybe even a little unfair to compare now and then, especially when it comes to music but hey, it's just thoughts and opinions - aint no one getting hurt winking smiley
Re: 'Reggae Revival' - I just don't see what's so special
February 24, 2017 04:55AM
i won't really argue with you about alladat...but, there is this:

does it disregard some very valid points you make? no, not much really whatsoever (!) but this tune hit me soooo hard when it came out a couple of years ago, that i had to find a vinyl copy for play out. not cheap, (to be honest--damn expensive) but it's just so very good.

i am not so much dismissing your post so much as i am expressing my heavy enjoyment of this micah shemaiah tune. truth be told, it's not the first tune of his i bought -- that would be the killer 10" on the tuff scout label "africa here i come". serious music.

respect for the expression, i'm glad for it!
as we get older though, we most likely sound like the old farts we are. i'd expect you get some bucking more than anything else in response to your thoughts...

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 24, 2017 06:10AM
Big Up Shemaiah! The youth is LARGE!! Tune is SLAMMIN!!

As for the reggae revival.. I think what it is speaking to is so many young "known" reggae musicians were making Dance Hall tunes and it appeared the youth were just going to be putting out more and more Dance Hall vs Roots reggae music. Also the instruments for the most part appeared to be "gathering dust" in favor of the digital age. Then artist like Protoje and The Indiggnation, Chronixx and The Zinc Fence Band, Ragin Fyah, The Penetuch (SP) Movement, Dubtronic Kru, Kelissa, Keznamdi, Jesse Royal, Iba Mahr, Addis Pablo, Kabaka Pyramid, Notis Heavyweight Rockers, Jah 9, Hempress Sativa, The Gideon, Selah, No Maddz, Earthkry....started making roots based music again. The artist you have named are older than I am. The artist were dropping hits in the 1990's. I don't want to date myself but there were people who weren't born who can drink now that were born into an entirely different age of music that I was able to bear witness to. It isn't that reggae was dead the revival speaks to roots reggae and it did take a hiatus. Sure you have always had artist making good tunes but they were all artist that know what it was like to be in their 30's during Y2K.

As to the Jimmy Fallon thing.. that was a ways after the revival had already caught fire. I don't look at that as causing any real effect on making all these other groups "popular". I was in Jamaica prior to Chronixx was on Fallon as you couldn't walk 10 feet without hearing another Chronixx tune. I tried to book Chronixx and Kabaka to come to Portland over 3 years ago because I could tell their style was "Nah Normal" so to speak.

As to them not having any or not that many big tunes.. I don't know what to say. Seeing as music is subjective I can't really argue and make you like them. I would just say comparing them to artist who have already had full careers that span decades isn't really fair. Also, music isn't made like it used to be. It is hard to compare across generations. I would say you should check Protoje and The Indiggnation's STACK of tunes because he has been dropping a record like every 12 months..

Also... and finally.. they aren't a "posse".. Many of them went to the same schools at the same time so they know each other. Seeing as they all went into the same profession it only makes sense that they would support one another in order to bring back roots music for the next generation. Respect your thoughts on this though.
February 24, 2017 11:56AM
The "Reggae Revival" is far more popular abroad than it is in Jamaica. I've heard it reffered to here as "Uptown Roots Posse", pointing out that it is made up of mostly people from upper middle class and wealthy backgrounds. Almost all the events are held in affluent areas of Kingston and are mostly attended by the same set of about 75 people.

To his credit, Kabaka Pyramid spoke in the press tent this year about how it is indeed heavily skewed towards the "uptown" crowd and that things do need to change in that regard.

Outside of Chronixx, who has broke the mold into general acceptance by a variety of listeners, most of those artists just haven't gotten much play here outside their cirlces - Love it or hate it, dancehall still runs things in Jamaica by far. You're average 15-30 year old who loves Kartel, Mavado, etc... and goes to (or recently finished) Kingston Technical or Vauxhall High School isn't typically going to take their limited time and resources to go trod up to Jack's hill to hang out with the rich kids that attend Hillel, AISK, or go to Edna Manley college. The "revival" comes off as very forced, like a bunch of rich kids discovered their parents old black uhuru records and just recycle those same 80's Sly & Robbie riddims non-stop., but there's very little that's innovative about it. Edna Manley college has a good program that teaches young musicians a lot of the basics, but as Clive Hunt pointed out some months back - you can't teach soul.

There are a lot of good, young reggae artists still. I wouldn't call it a revival as reggae never went away. Suggesting that a current crop of artists "brought it back" from death is actually kind of insulting to the many artists who have been producing some great reggae music over the years before the so-called "revival." This isn't to knock any artist as they all do their thin. Just like in any niche of the reggae genre, some are very talented and others aren't - some are wonderful, humble pepole, and some are clowns with huge egos. I prefer to enjoy my music based on if I enjoy it, not if "the revival" is the hot thing or if "Gaza vs. Gully" is the hot thing, or whatever the trend of the day in any place may be
February 24, 2017 02:17PM
what I find "funny" is that no one ever called Jr Gong "Uptown" reggae being made by a rich kid. I wonder why that is? To me it sounds like a bunch of people who are somewhat jealous of the success that others are enjoying. Do you have to be poor in order to make "real" reggae? Dr Suess I am not saying this is what you are claiming I just know that there are a lot of people who have no idea outside of JA who is wealthy or comes from an affluent family and who does not. People know what they like and what is fresh and new. What the revival has accomplished is introducing a bunch of YOUNG people internationally to reggae music. A bunch of young fans. Reggae fans for the most part were older people who were introduced to the music in the 1970's and 1980's and early 90's. I agree with you on the Dance Hall thing... and with your comments on what people are willing to do in order to hear "Uptown" reggae. However, you live in Jamaica where there is more reggae than one could shake a stick at. IF you ask me coming from Portland if I would rather pay my 20 dollars are trod across town and see Protoje or Luciano I am choosing Protoje all day because I have already seen Luciano 10 times. If you ask a person under 30 if they would rather see Kabaka or Luciano they would ask why I would even ask them if they want to see a Jamaican Emcee or an Italian Opera singer. The reason the revival is far more popular outside JA is because people have to pick and choose what they want to pay for amidst All kinds of music. When they choose reggae they choose the younger artist because they are fresh and new. Music is the great equalizer to me. It doesn't matter if you come from money or if you come from the gutter. If you can play or sing or rap or whatever you are embraced and if you can't well then.. Yes who has an opportunity to show their skills matter for sure but what do you do when you get that chance?

Finally.. I would ask the good Dr... what he thinks of Micah Shemaiah?? to me he is the brightest star of the bunch. I love his tunes.
February 24, 2017 03:08PM
PS... they also do something more successfully than others in the recent past... they market themselves as part of a greater collective. Meaning the band is just as much a part as the lead performer. You have Protoje and The Indiggnation. Chronixx and the Zinc Fence Band... similar to Bob Marley and The Wailers.. if you name isn't Marley you need to be part of a greater whole. Look at the most "successful" acts in reggae right now.. The Green, SOJA, Rebelution.. Ragin Fyah... they put the whole band out as one unit vs just an individual and a "backing band". I think that has a lot to do with why the "revivalist" have become more commercially successful...

Final thought on money... I find it sort of crab in a barrel "ish" because so many of the other acts more popular in JA like Kartel or Mavado spend a great deal of time talking about how much money they have or wish to acquire.. I find it interesting that how much money one comes from would have any negative meaning behind it.
February 24, 2017 03:13PM
Dr Suess
The "revival" comes off as very forced, like a bunch of rich kids discovered their parents old black uhuru records and just recycle those same 80's Sly & Robbie riddims non-stop., but there's very little that's innovative about it.

Haha. Hit the nail on the head.

Personally, I like a lot of the artists within the "roots revival' upsurge. Others I think are completely overrated. One thing I've noticed pretty consistently amongst the youths, be it in roots or the dancehall format, is that most of them are lacking in the live performance category. Take any artist that came up in the 90s. Capleton, Sizzla, Luciano, Buju, Garnett Silk, and so many more.. Their live performances are exploding with energy. I haven't seen any of the "revival" acts step out like this yet. Of course, not everyone is gonna be as high energy as a Sizzla or a Capleton. Either way it does help a lot in a live format when the singer can work the crowd and build the energy. Most of the Protoje live sets I've seen have been borderline boring (though I could say the same for his first 2 albums). As far as youths coming up with bags a lyrics, I rate Kabaka and Jesse Royal well above Protoje. Its funny how the thing is set within the Roots Revival.. Theres many artists of that age group coming up now out of JA and all over the world. A lot of them get slept on because their name isn't chronixx, protoje, jah 9, kabaka p or jesse royal.
February 24, 2017 04:25PM
who? Who is getting slept on?
February 24, 2017 04:30PM
Who's getting slept on? I'd say Randy Valentine! Would love to see him get some more play.
February 24, 2017 04:33PM
No one is sleeping on Randy Valentine... if they are that is on them. Mr Valentine is a TOP notch artist for sure. Once again though.. no band...
February 24, 2017 05:36PM
I agree for the most part. Give me 90s reggae all day over most of the revival artists. I actually think the non-Jamacian artists (gappy ranks, the green, SOJA, Rebelution, J boog, Fiji, Gentleman, etc...) have surpassed most of the Jamaican acts of today. Chronixx & Gyptian are pretty good, but not really seeing anything special amongst the new revival bands (unless you count Romain Virgo, cuz he is awesome). I will still always love & support all types of Reggae music forever.
February 24, 2017 05:47PM
just so I understand what you are saying.. you think the artist mentioned above have surpassed.... Ragin Fyah, Tarrus Riley, No Maddz, Busy Signal, Agent Sasco, Shemaiah, Damian Marley, Queen Ifrica, Chino, Kabaka etc... To each there own I guess.. there is plenty nuff to go around
February 24, 2017 06:00PM
to be fair, one needs to allow for time in order to see this bear out. like someone noted, it's not fair to compare these current artists in the formative years of their craft to those artists who enjoyed a full career over decades.

one thing though that will be interesting to see is the factor that ninja mentions...the BANDS. it is already clear that the artists that align themselves with a band and become a solid unit simply sound and perform together MUCH better than good/great artists that come with some local or regional pick up band.

what will be interesting to see after time is how their bands bear out in comparison to the legendary bands we saw consistently. i didn't just see legends...i saw legends backing legends. no histrionics here.

roots radics, lloyd parks & we the people, 809, soul syndicate. these were the bands that always presented the music to me; imagine that! i saw the roots radics in their heyday--and numerous times.

i agree that the current artists that record and travel with their own band will have an edge over those that do not.

thanks for starting the discussion rf...'bout time! you have nuff knowledge to share, and opinions too.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 24, 2017 06:31PM
Blessings to all!

^that DATC tune is huge,got my copy from switzerland, also reggae rockit and the original dread LP are must haves form Micah Shemiah.

Does anyone else remember the year Protoje first played in boonville? hot afternoon set and moved the entire valley stage crowd, still ranks as an amazing performance in my book!!!

The reason I like The "RR" artists so much is simply by measuring their musical output and vibes. (even though I just consider them additional artists being added to the bottomless reggae canon)

In the last 5 years or so these tunes stick out, most released on 7 " vinyl with version: ( in that same time I have also enjoyed huge tunes by sizzla, luci, capleton, busy, taurus, etc. just not as many!)

Protoje-wrong side of the law- don corleon 10"-love the 10 inch format and I was like "why is corleon putting out 10"?"
protoje/romain virgo-reggae revival-haha
Chronixx-here comes trouble
Chronixx-I love king selassie
jesse royal-modern day judas
jah nine-deliverance
iba mahr-great is him
iba mahr-diamond sox
jah nine-steamers a bubble -with dub on hitbound 7" c'mon!!
chronixx/protoje-who knows
chronixx-alpha and omega (sizzla, m.rose, busy, taurus, luci, no one even compares on this riddim, except perhaps the original al campbell-rub a dub)
Chronixx-world under siege
Chronixx-perfect tree
Kabaka-king of kings
Kabaka- revival
Protoje-resist not evil
Jesse royal-preying on the weak
Micah shemiah-DATC
Micah Shemiah-original dread LP
Micah Shemiah-we know
micah shemiah/infinite-reggae rockit
Infinite-everyone irie
Keida-stand for something
addis pablo-melodica in the dance
addis pablo-in my fathers house LP
addis pablo/sizzla/kabaka/protoje/chronixx-selassie soldiers
Mark wonder/micah shemiah- jah is the way
Raging fyah-judgement day
Raging fyah-step out a babylon
Raging fyah-barriers

Probably many that i've missed, and that is not even scraping new/digital output.

that being said if any one has got a spare copy of "cocoa tea-repatriation" let me know!

edited to add raging fyah to the list, love them too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2017 06:38PM by thelast.
February 24, 2017 09:55PM
Shemiah is the shite

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
February 24, 2017 10:12PM
he has a some gems.. for sure.. this is one of my favorites.. It reminds me of when I was a little youth running the streets of West Eugene.. prior to the days of sidewalks and fences.

February 24, 2017 10:16PM
February 25, 2017 11:30PM
I think its time some of the "older heads" listen and learn from what the young rasta youths have brought into Jamaican reggae music over the past 5 to 7 years. Maybe they also need to look at who is touring Europe and the USA these days and stop wearing 1990s blinkers.The focus should not be to compare the Rasta youths with their predecessors. This is a mission, not a competition.

Roots Reggae grow like "Stalks and Stems"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 12:10AM by lloydstanbury.
February 27, 2017 03:57PM
lloydstanbury
I think its time some of the "older heads" listen and learn from what the young rasta youths have brought into Jamaican reggae music over the past 5 to 7 years. Maybe they also need to look at who is touring Europe and the USA these days and stop wearing 1990s blinkers.The focus should not be to compare the Rasta youths with their predecessors. This is a mission, not a competition.

Roots Reggae grow like "Stalks and Stems"

This is hypocritical because Jamaicans don't listen to that type of music, neither other small island people. This so called revival is the most exploited era in reggae music. Most of those artist did not make a big splash like anthony b sizzla Richie spice or capleton. It's a watered down version that appeals to what white people with dreads in California like, i'm sorry but the title of Rasta I can't call you .; anyway what i'm saying is basically the music has been stolen rearranged and packaged for white people. So bands like regulation ',tribal seeds ect. Is not supported by real reggae fans. They are supported by thier friends and family , because if it's white it's right. It's not a lie that white people are the majority. So what happens when the minority's get thier music stolen ? It gets overshadowed by the fuckery fakery. The narrative is you have to choose between white reggae and the original. So our own music that we created are being used against us blacks by the suspected white supremacist that don't even pay respect or tribute uh while we are on the topic of "pay", yes white man don't want to pay the originators and why would they do that when they can steal it and pay themselves.just look at Pato banton and tribal bullshit seeds and you will see what I mean

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 04:57PM by Stoplietodehyouths.
February 27, 2017 04:32PM
"This is hypocritical because Jamaicans don't listen to that type of music, neither other small island people. This so called revival is the most exploited era in reggae music. Most of those artist did not make a big splash like anthony b sizzla Richie spice or capleton. It's a watered down version that appeals to what white people with dreads in California like, i'm sorry but the title of Rasta I can't call you .; anyway what i'm saying is basically the music has been stolen rearranged and packaged for white people"

What a load of complete crap!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 04:32PM by chronicom420.
February 27, 2017 04:58PM
Prove me wrong
February 27, 2017 05:04PM
Time is up chronic 420 the truth will be revealed
February 27, 2017 05:06PM
Yes and you should be scared cause I'm not. We are all one race. It's called the human race, please join.
February 27, 2017 05:26PM
When I first heard about this "reggae revival" I was really hopeful that the pendulum had swung back to some roots vibes in Jamaica. Unfortunately, it didn't take long on the ground before I realized it was confined to a small group of mainly wealthy kids at parties in wealthy areas. Outside of the bigger Chronixx tunes, the revival was not connecting with everyday Jamaicans. Likewise, the revival showed little to no interest in attracting people from other (i.e., non-wealthy) backgrounds. Though they adopted the rasta style, that really seems to be all it is - a style - that happens to be trendy at the moment amongst the better off youths in Kingston. Many were not even "rasta" til just the other day - usually the same day they decided they wanted to become big stars with the bad attitude to match. Be that as it may, I was still more than ready to embrace a roots sound from the younger generation. However, the music itself is quite bland and lacking that grit that made the original roots reggae and previous revival so compelling. It really does feel watered down for mass foreign consumption, while the reception has been far from massive. But, you can go to dub club and enjoy the view along with the other mainly tourists who frequent the place. You will probably notice that nobody is really there for the music anyway.

I know there is massive talent in Jamaica that can provide a compelling roots renaissance. But alas, they won't get the spotlight, as they can't afford Jamaica's self-defeating pay-for-play music system. Likewise, they can't push themselves abroad without significant resources or a foreign link. Those links won't be forged if everything is confined to the same 50 people in an uptown party you have to pay $500 to attend.

Right now it seems the revival is fizzling and the momentum has faltered. The high water mark was the Vogue article. Around that same time Chronixx made his wasteman comment and I witnessed his Jamaican fans losing interest right before my eyes - and he was the one who connected with them. Since then everything's been on a slow decline. There isn't the unity amongst the core group that used to boost each other up. Everyone is doing their own thing and nobody is really striking out in a big way. Sure they can try to ride Chronixx's coattails as long as they can but they are not really going anywhere that I can see.

P.S. - The best rootsy vibes in Jamaica are at Vinyl Thursdays and Inner City Dub - neither of which are uptown.
February 27, 2017 05:28PM
Where is the fear? Stop lying it's one race but you promote and respect whiter shade stop the lies
February 27, 2017 05:32PM
You think you could come on my post and run with it and change the narrative that's what Suspected supremacist do they deflect . Now let me be clear to you, who the @#$%& in Jamaica is listening to tribal seeds or j blog or rebulation stop the @#$%& lies this music now has become a blasphemy
February 27, 2017 05:39PM
Yeah you hit in on the nail , unlike the the chronic 420 guy who accused me of inflicting some kind of fear on him
February 27, 2017 05:52PM
You don't know who you are talking to or what you are talking about, but you do seem to be filled up with a whole lot of hate. Here's to you one day finding peace.
February 27, 2017 06:33PM
Stop the lies if I don't know what i'm saying prove it you think you could just say anything and makes it real .its the "because I'm white and I say so thing eh"
and I don't have to provide proof .Stop the lies you don't give a @#$%& about the originators
February 27, 2017 06:38PM
HAHA^^ this new guy is now my new favorite poster!!

Question for all of the "boots on the ground in yard" crowd, since when has the popular music in Jamaica been the "best"?
I was under the impression that the real jewels of tunes were the ones that weren't being played on the radio 24-7.
Just a little historic/sociological question for the elder and more informed heads?

One more serious question does an artist have to be "poor" and from the "Ghetto" to be legitimate and sing about those subjects?
February 27, 2017 06:39PM
chronicom420
You don't know who you are talking to or what you are talking about, but you do seem to be filled up with a whole lot of hate. Here's to you one day finding peace.
Yes this is what I mean you are proving my point you actually think you know more about a blackman ting more than them and you got tribal seeds record sales to prove your point, right .
February 27, 2017 06:46PM
7 total posts all about skin color. Peace troll.
February 27, 2017 07:05PM
thelast
HAHA^^ this new guy is now my new favorite poster!!

Question for all of the "boots on the ground in yard" crowd, since when has the popular music in Jamaica been the "best"?
I was under the impression that the real jewels of tunes were the ones that weren't being played on the radio 24-7.
Just a little historic/sociological question for the elder and more informed heads?

One more serious question does an artist have to be "poor" and from the "Ghetto" to be legitimate and sing about those subjects?
Who feels it knows it
February 27, 2017 07:14PM
chronicom420
7 total posts all about skin color. Peace troll.
That's right it's about color and shade and not about quality or equality and I am not going to shut up because your uncomfortable with a discussion about color, I am also not afraid of you and your Ganja money I speak what is in my heart I cannot go on no longer watching this blasphemy . You are proving my point by deflecting from the topic, and also falsely painting a picture that Iam full of hate because I choose to take a stand, that is what suspected white supremacist do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 07:18PM by Stoplietodehyouths.
February 27, 2017 07:31PM
2 questions for stoplietodehyouths.

1. Did you really go through the process of becoming a member of this little message board community just to complain and pass judgement all day on the internet to a bunch of people you've never met?

2. Do you really think you're doing anything at all to end this "blasphemy" you're speaking of by arguing with 3 or 4 people on the internet?

I can tell you right now, just reading over your series of posts you come off full of ignorance and hypocrisy. And just in case you didn't get the memo, getting hype with people on an internet message board is not "taking a stand". You have a few valid points in your initial statements but overall, not a good look..
February 27, 2017 07:34PM
Man there are a lot of racist trolls on the internet these days, too bad it's gotta be on this website. Sorry, I already fed this troll too much.
February 27, 2017 07:41PM
rootsthroughsidewalks

1. Did you really go through the process of becoming a member of this little message board community just to complain and pass judgement all day on the internet to a bunch of people you've never met?

2. Do you really think you're doing anything at all to end this "blasphemy" you're speaking of by arguing with 3 or 4 people on the internet?

I can tell you right now, just reading over your series of posts you come off full of ignorance and hypocrisy. And just in case you didn't get the memo, getting hype with people on an internet message board is not "taking a stand". You have a few valid points in your initial statements but overall, not a good look..

To answer your first question, I know your Curiosity of my background is of great concern more than the issue i'm raising.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 08:20PM by Stoplietodehyouths.
February 27, 2017 07:53PM
Stoplietodehyouths
rootsthroughsidewalks

To answer your first question, I know your Curiosity of my background is of great concern more than issue i'm raising.

Once again without proof your white and right what ever comes out your uncultured mouth is fact, I dare anyone here to debate me on the scholarship of the issue i'm raising and forget about your selfish cause , Show InI how I am Wrong without your false narrative

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 07:54PM by Stoplietodehyouths.
February 27, 2017 08:00PM
Listen I love you but you don't love me ,and the ones that I thought loved me once they have to make a choice you best believe they are sticking to thier own kind it's just a fact and you telling me i'm racist for saying so but you practice it
February 27, 2017 08:00PM

I dare anyone here to debate me

A debate would require your assertions to be backed up by facts and evidence. Last time I checked "prove me wrong" does not fit into either of those categories.....
February 27, 2017 08:06PM
Daniel

I dare anyone here to debate me

A debate would require your assertions to be backed up by facts and evidence. Last time I checked "prove me wrong" does not fit into either of those categories.....

And finally a word from our sponsors godaniel has spoken, but his lawyer language don't scare me, simply because it lacks substance, and direction but is full of hate and subliminal sarchassim
February 27, 2017 08:15PM
Take that L , because it's too long now the Real Sellasie I Musicians and Artist have been taking L's being used and abused by ones who say they love us

Big up BurninSpear Big up Freddie McGregor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 08:17PM by Stoplietodehyouths.
February 27, 2017 08:52PM
Prove me wrong is not how logic and reason work. IF you make a claim the burden of proof is on you to "prove yourself correct". Otherwise me saying when no one is looking the furniture in your house get's up and starts dancing would be a logic based claim. But alas my brother it is not. This is why when your Uncle Don Trump says that 3 million people voted illegally we say "prove it" and not the other way around. Having the great respect for knowledge that you claim to you should know that a tree is not just it's roots. It is the trunk, the branches and the leaves. Reggae has grown well beyond the "pot" of Jamaica and now has branches and leaves in all of the countries and cultures of the world. What is being listened to and played in Jamaica is no longer the bench mark for what is real and what is genuine reggae music. Real AUTHENTIC music is being made all over the globe including Hawaii, The mainland, Italy, France, Spain, Indonesia (big up Ras Muhammad). It is being made by those of all economic classes, races and sexes. When one (you being one) starts to talk about the "real" Rasta musicians I find that misleading and offensive. No person making music is perfect and so talking about who is "real" and who is fake when you don't know any of the people you are discussing is laughable. Have a reality check and realize you aren't defending anyone because the same people you claim to be "real" Anthony B, Sizzla and Capleton have no issue with any of the musicians you have slandered. Now.. please debate the merits of this "scholarship".
February 27, 2017 09:04PM
Ninja
Prove me wrong is not how logic and reason work. IF you make a claim the burden of proof is on you to "prove yourself correct". Otherwise me saying when no one is looking the furniture in your house get's up and starts dancing would be a logic based claim. But alas my brother it is not. This is why when your Uncle Don Trump says that 3 million people voted illegally we say "prove it" and not the other way around. Having the great respect for knowledge that you claim to you should know that a tree is not just it's roots. It is the trunk, the branches and the leaves. Reggae has grown well beyond the "pot" of Jamaica and now has branches and leaves in all of the countries and cultures of the world. What is being listened to and played in Jamaica is no longer the bench mark for what is real and what is genuine reggae music. Real AUTHENTIC music is being made all over the globe including Hawaii, The mainland, Italy, France, Spain, Indonesia (big up Ras Muhammad). It is being made by those of all economic classes, races and sexes. When one (you being one) starts to talk about the "real" Rasta musicians I find that misleading and offensive. No person making music is perfect and so talking about who is "real" and who is fake when you don't know any of the people you are discussing is laughable. Have a reality check and realize you aren't defending anyone because the same people you claim to be "real" Anthony B, Sizzla and Capleton have no issue with any of the musicians you have slandered. Now.. please debate the merits of this "scholarship".

You are not a ninja your a smurf all you are doing is proving my point that reggae only grows in your back yard , I don't know who you think you are talking too but last time I checked reggae is the music of Rastafari. Don't get it twisted like your beeswax dreads
February 27, 2017 09:15PM
oh well that explains it... what kind of music do people like Barrington Levy, Burru Banton, Eek a Mouse, Brigadier Jerry, Solo Banton, Gappy Ranks, Adijah Palmer, Joe Higgs (RIP), Mr Vegas, Keida, Agent Sasco, Busy Signal etc play? Do they play something other than reggae music? Or do you want to divide reggae music like Europeans did Africa?.. Are you trying to tell Africans what "type" of Africans they are? Are you telling Morocco they aren't the "real" Africans because they don't live below the Sahara? You seem like a "divisive" individual... and for others... I will feed the troll until his tummy bursts.
February 27, 2017 09:53PM
looks like "tummy burst!"
clicked to look at doods profile and it "no longer exists."
good riddance.

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 27, 2017 09:55PM
deleting a user is an admin function.. so daniel ??

did you discover our 'new' friend to be an 'old' friend ?
a name that shall not be spoken ... ??

writing style looked to be similar..

i am guessing this is the case, since nothing he said was really out of bounds..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 09:58PM by bigvein.
February 27, 2017 10:07PM
Ras Danny
looks like "tummy burst!"
clicked to look at doods profile and it "no longer exists."
good riddance.

would have been interesting to see the discussion play out..
wishing those who hold opposing views to be 'vanqushed' is a weak heart conception..
February 27, 2017 11:43PM
I bring a pretty neutral viewpoint to each show i attend. I love the roots, and the revival artists are roots, so i've seen them when i can, including Kabaka three times last summer, Protoje, Jah 9 and Jesse Royal once each. I hope to see Chronixx next month. For me, these artists are as good as anyone i see, they're just young. And one thing they have revived is the idea of having a band that tours with you all the time. The Indiggnation, sick, Bebble Rockers, sick. I even loved The Dub Treatment, Jah 9's band. I care nothing for all the labels, rasta this, cali reggae that, rich man music, poor man music. I let it hit me and see how it feels.

Over three shows i came to realize that not only is Kabaka an intelligent professional, but well here is the thing. When i saw Richie Spice last fall, he literally drooled over the young girls in the front of the audience, to the detriment of his performance. He was barely singing, i ended up leaving. When Kabaka was in Bolinas there were a group of young women in the front trying to touch him, hand him joints, etc, and i watched him deflect the attention in a way that it didn't detract from the performance. It really stood out to me. Ya, Richie is old school, but so what. If Kabaka is the future of roots, i'm on board.

This song has been rolling around in my head for months....

Kabaka Pyramid - Wake Up & See

Mi have some things 'pon me mind weh mi waan share
Tell the likkle children fi draw near, now
Chimney, a hope dem a listen me, hey

Mi have some things weh mi waan fi ask
Mi waan know a who feel the aftermath
When the bombs dem start fi blast
And the money dem a pack it off, hey

Who profit from the wars in a the middle east
A who sell the guns weh the kids a squeeze
People a bwal we nuh see no peace
Blood a flow like the river streams, cha
People nuh waan hear the truth again
When it in front your face inna the movie dem
Is like a chest game, and a one man moving dem

Mi waan know
When we gonna wake up and see
It's all a part of their plan
Dem system nuh cater fi we
Mi waan know
When we gonna wake up and see (Judgement)
That dem judgement a go fall like rain
Beg unno fi listen wha the DJ sayin'

War is a thing weh billions a spend 'pon
Peace is a thing weh dem cyaan mek a cent from
Ask dem what a dem honest intention
A gun trade weh the world powers dem a depend 'pon
Why you think so much war 'pon the continent
And destabilization a prominent
Who own the resources and all the factory dem?
Dem thing deh a nuh accident

Mi really waan know
Beg unno fi listen wha the Pyramid sayin'
Hey

Dem tell we, is a new world order
One set a man a order the world
Is a nuclear order
Dem at war with the world
Dem a use fear on yah
Poison the boys and the girls
And dem a blame terrorist
But the truth dem nah tell you this, no

Mi really waan know
Beg unno fi listen wha the Jordan dem sayin'
Let me tell you know

Is a last kin dem
When we gonna wake up and see, okay

Love that reggae!
February 27, 2017 11:45PM

Love that reggae!
February 27, 2017 11:54PM
Love that song nomo! Thanks for the positive outlook.
February 28, 2017 01:11AM
No one is sleeping on Randy Valentine... if they are that is on them.

i guess that's on me never seen the name or heard him
is that a pro wrestler? smiling smiley

a
February 28, 2017 02:19AM

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
February 28, 2017 05:07AM

man is bad like Dino Bravo
February 28, 2017 08:39AM
yes i... excuse mi, hempress.

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
February 28, 2017 03:39PM
like I said.. don't sleep on Mr Valentine... serious singer.
March 01, 2017 01:27AM
i believe Randy Valentine is UK where they have maintained a steady interest in and support of roots over the decades despite the whims of JA. Most over there have a more solid knowledge of roots reggae than other coutries including Jamaica and US.
March 01, 2017 03:22AM

... UK where they have maintained a steady interest in and support of roots ...

Some of which will be revealed right here tomorrow............
March 01, 2017 05:13AM
Where they have a more solid knowledge of Roots reggae than Jamaica...... please explain what you mean by that.
March 08, 2017 06:30PM
It wasn't I BIg Vein lol I learned mi lesson well bout stating anything on ya board
March 09, 2017 04:13PM

for those still sleeping...
March 09, 2017 04:27PM
Nice one Ninja. Hadn't heard that one yet. Really been loving this guy lately. Also loved the one or two songs he got to perform at reggae on the river last year.
March 10, 2017 10:54PM
March 11, 2017 12:14AM
a couple things... I don't think of it as a "movement" with a leader etc. More so one of those strange coincidences that occur that people can feel but can't explain. It is more so a "happening".. Chronixx can say what he wants but who was the last Reggae act invited to the Tonight Show? Beyond that I see it as J.O.E. where it all started.... then Protoje.. Kabaka.. THEN Chronixx... I think Kabaka said it best. This is a movement they call it the Revival we all got a part to play.
March 12, 2017 04:00PM
Let's just make sure none of these revivalist come dilute the teen scene at my Cali reggae shows. No uptown thing when I'm trying to get into my serious rebedilution vibe. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
March 14, 2017 05:51PM
thelast

sometimes we should just listen as this one reminds us:

edited to emphasize "sometimes"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 09:09PM by IYah_Trod.
March 14, 2017 07:18PM
great tune... serious roots from Mr Everton Blender... the answer is no IMO... You think any of the Marley's outside of Robert was poor? You think any of the second generation reggae singers grew up poor? You have to be a compassionate person who see's what the poor go through in order to make music the speaks to them. It is weird though, I never heard this critique regarding Damian Marley and he probably grew up with more money than everyone on this board combined.. I wonder why that is?
March 14, 2017 08:03PM
Ninja
You think any of the second generation reggae singers grew up poor?

As a matter of fact yes most 2nd generation reggae singers grew up poor. Most of the veterans either never made much or it never lasted long. Then there's those who just didn't take care of their kids who grew up in poverty.
March 14, 2017 08:30PM
I am confused... when I am talking about second generation (and clearly you know better than I do) I am talking about Protoje, Chronixx, Tarrus Riley, The Marley Clan (take your pick)...
March 14, 2017 09:11PM
Take Midnite/Akae Beka for instance; I can't speak for sure, but I suspect those guys didn't grow up in extreme poverty as many JA artists do. Authentic roots reggae still.

Tuff Lion, Danny I, Army; all served in the U.S. military.
Authentic roots reggae still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2017 09:13PM by IYah_Trod.
March 14, 2017 10:16PM
There's always been an "uptown" side to reggae, nothing is wrong with that. Where I find a problem with the so-called reggae revival is that it basically locks out those without money.

Case in point, I went up to Dub Club the other day for the first time in quite some time. Jah Shaka was selecting and a friend of mine visiting the island wanted to check it out. The cover charge of $1,000 and it's location in Jack's Hill already stops a lot of people from coming. When you reach in you quickly discover the crowd is about 90% foreigners with the rest mostly consisting of uptown kids and artists. When you take what is first and foremost the music of the ghetto and turn it into something that only the elites and tourists can afford, you're just watering it down
March 15, 2017 03:44AM
Welcome to the birth of Hip Hop 101... Grand Master Flash traveling from Uptown Downtown... hanging out in clubs that were mostly white and full up of money. I get what you are saying but you have to get that this is what happens to music when it busts again. Poor people have always been locked out of the music biz unless someone with cash invites them in. If it wasn't for a white English man we may have never heard of Bob Marley, Bunny Wailer and Peter Tosh. They had to get to England and I am sure that wasn't a reality for a lot of the poorest people on the island for any reason. Would you not agree that in the 1970's you couldn't make music unless you had connections to people with money. Couldn't get it played unless you had connections to people with money. The Music biz has always locked out poor people.. in every genre..
March 15, 2017 08:43PM
Dr Suess
There's always been an "uptown" side to reggae, nothing is wrong with that. Where I find a problem with the so-called reggae revival is that it basically locks out those without money.

Case in point, I went up to Dub Club the other day for the first time in quite some time. Jah Shaka was selecting and a friend of mine visiting the island wanted to check it out. The cover charge of $1,000 and it's location in Jack's Hill already stops a lot of people from coming. When you reach in you quickly discover the crowd is about 90% foreigners with the rest mostly consisting of uptown kids and artists. When you take what is first and foremost the music of the ghetto and turn it into something that only the elites and tourists can afford, you're just watering it down

Sounds like a reggae festival.
March 15, 2017 08:58PM
currently playing on my revival playlist.

March 16, 2017 11:49AM
sounds like most reggae shows... I don't know how much money 1000 in JA cash is but living here to go to a show and buy a couple drinks is gonna run you 40 bucks.
March 16, 2017 02:13PM
1000 JA = 9$ would be a treat to see Jah Shaka for 9 bucks around here.
March 16, 2017 02:34PM
The difference though is that most people don't associate attending a reggae show in foreign with some kind of social movement. The idea of the "reggae revival" is jokey marketing to me because of that - this idea that it's some kind of revolution "bringing reggae back in Jamaica" while ignoring most Jamaicans...

$1000 JMD to see a show is cheap when if you think of it from a US perspective... But when the minimum wage is $43 USD a week and if you don't drive a taxi up to Jack's Hill is gonna run you at least another $1000 JMD at that time of night, it's inacessable compared to the free neighborhood soundsystem party.
March 16, 2017 02:35PM
all things are relative I suppose.. You can't go out with no cover and have more than A drink for that.
March 16, 2017 09:26PM
absolutely. I will not argue with you. I never saw any kind of "reggae revival" as a Jamaican need or want. I saw it as like a Global thing. Much more for people who are not in JA and who are and were not exposed to ROOTS ROCK REGGAE that wasn't done by the same crop of artists who had been doing it for 20 years. I love the artist I am going to mention.. Anthony B, Luciano, Barrington Levy, Burning Spear.. at that same time where were all the new Roots artists? We heard of Mavado, Popcaan, Vybz, Tommy Lee, Alkaline, yada and a MILLION other artist but for the most part they were all riding riddims and more so in the Dancehall scene.. the so called Revival brought about a new crop of TOURING roots reggae acts to the masses.
March 16, 2017 10:52PM
'reggae revival' is, as dr suess says, a slogan, marketing. and like other terms given to entertainment or food or whatever, some are completely ignored, and some sorta stick with you. whether it means more than a couple words that sound good together is another thing, but the fact that this thread exists tells me it was a fair piece of marketing. how it plays out over time will tell. When these guys are all fifty will they still be known as revival? will they want to? Maybe they will change it as they age, and call it the Reggae Survival!

Love that reggae!
March 18, 2017 07:45PM

Kabaka Pyramid sings and explains the Reggae Revival @ SXSW 2017 - Flamingo Cantina, Austin Texas March 17

--
blessid love
ras danny
-Muhammad Ali
March 19, 2017 04:14PM
WORD
April 10, 2017 09:32PM
Very interesting and thought provoking comments... even though we may not agree on our various tastes and opinions of music, it's still fun to read what people are thinking...

I sorta copy/pasted some select comments that made me think more about this subject...

vvvvv

Ninja

I would just say comparing them to artist who have already had full careers that span decades isn't really fair. Also, music isn't made like it used to be. It is hard to compare across generations.

What the revival has accomplished is introducing a bunch of YOUNG people internationally to reggae music.

When they choose reggae they choose the younger artist because they are fresh and new

----

Ninja, I guess I didn't really make my thought too clearly ---- I meant to say: comparing their early recording efforts [as opposed to a solid span of years] I don't think any of the Roots Revival artists have really recorded any super stand out songs in their early career compared to some of the artists that sprang up in the early to mid 1990s... sure, the Roots Revival set of artists might get going with some big chunes but comparing their 'early years' to Bushman/Luciano/Admiral Tibet/etc etc, the RR artists just haven't penned and number of quality of songs imo...

With that said, you're right, it's hard to compare across generations... but I'm just going on my gut/ear feelings so I'm sorta taking out the scientific method of comparisons ha ha...

You make a very valid point with the RR artists grabbing the attention of the younger audience and how they are helping keep Reggae going in the international market. Respect.
----

Dr Suess

but there's very little that's innovative about it

I wouldn't call it a revival as reggae never went away. Suggesting that a current crop of artists "brought it back" from death is actually kind of insulting to the many artists who have been producing some great reggae music over the years before the so-called "revival."

----

Dr. Suess, it's hard for me to disagree with what you're saying... imo, it really is an insult to imply that Roots Reggae was dead or suffering years prior to the RR thing... wasn't it just mere moments before RR popped up that there were a fair amount of artists playing roots and culture tunes ?? Just because someone is trying to sell an idea, that doesn't mean it's exactly true... again, I say the true version of a Roots Revival movement should be given to the early 1990s artists/songs --- that was almost an overnight transformation in the music [from Jamaica]...

----

Rootsthroughsidewalks

One thing I've noticed pretty consistently amongst the youths, be it in roots or the dancehall format, is that most of them are lacking in the live performance category. Take any artist that came up in the 90s. Capleton, Sizzla, Luciano, Buju, Garnett Silk, and so many more.. Their live performances are exploding with energy. I haven't seen any of the "revival" acts step out like this yet.

----

Rootsthroughsidewalks, like Dr Suess' comment, I gotta agree with you.... I've seen Chronixx and Proteje live and I've seen tons of their videos and I don't think they have nearly any of the stage presence or audience connection like the artists you mention... i was downright almost bored when I saw Chronixx and from the video footage I've seen of his most recent tour, it seems as if it looks even more drab...

----

Mosquito Killer

like someone noted, it's not fair to compare these current artists in the formative years of their craft to those artists who enjoyed a full career over decades.

what will be interesting to see after time is how their bands bear out in comparison to the legendary bands we saw consistently. i didn't just see legends...i saw legends backing legends

----

MK, always full respect to you! You're steady like our brother Solid Rock ;-> As I mentioned to Ninja, I shoulda been more clear... I'm just loosely basing my opinion of the RR artists early years up against the '90's' artists early works... early years vs early years, I just hear any big anthem/almost timeless tunes coming from the RR artists.... within a short amount of time, Luciano, just choosing him out of several others, he had a good amount of HUGE tunes. I can't think of any HUGE/timeless tunes from the early efforts of any of the RR artists. Maybe the RR will kick up rumpus soon, catch up and prove me wrong though - I hope they do...

MK, the legendary band comment you make is very telling and a serious thing... I'm not sure if anyone can do the things those bands did back in the day.... sly and robbie, the roots radics, 809, sagatarius band, soul syndicate, the burning band and so many other combinations of players of instruments were playing music so well and with such ease, it's as if it was like breathing to them... we were so lucky to see them at a time when they were touring and doing the riddims and artists a major justice... I will never forget see Sugar Minott backed up by the Abashantie band - that was nuts !!

It's an era that might not be able to be duplicated - and that's just the nature of music sometimes, and not limited to the world of Reggae...

at the same time MK, I hear what you're saying about the old farts thing..... but you know me pretty well, I've always held a strong anticipation for the next style of Reggae to pop up out of Jamaica... I like the vast majority of styles - from Nyahbinghi to Bounty Killer ;-> but this RR set of years/songs is the first time in a long time where I'm feeling somewhat jaded about 'new' Reggae... I'm not sure what Reggae from Jamaica's next move is but I hope it's something more catchy and strong like other changes in Jamaican Reggae have proven to do...

---

TheLast

----

The Last, I truly thank you for the list of songs you provided --- I listened to them and while I didn't think any of the songs were horrible, like a groundation song ha ha, I just didn't hear anything that made me jump up and jump up... Im open minded with any or all suggestions so I'll keep trying to find stuff I REALLY like from the likes of RR artists...

Hailites

However, the music itself is quite bland and lacking that grit that made the original roots reggae and previous revival so compelling. It really does feel watered down for mass foreign consumption, while the reception has been far from massive. But, you can go to dub club and enjoy the view along with the other mainly tourists who frequent the place. You will probably notice that nobody is really there for the music anyway.

----

Hailites, you write just what I feel when I hear RR artists/songs.... bland and lacking grit, that's totally how I hear and sum things up.... and it/RR does seem to gear it's sound to a more world wide appeal, intentionally or not.... and that's not a big surprise when we combine the www to the equation....... i think that's a big difference to the sound,,,, years ago, Jamaican artists seemed to direct their songs more to the Jamaican audience and frame of mind, I don't hear that much anymore.... like I said before, if not for the internet [and maybe even Jimmy Fallon] I'm not sure if the RR thing would have held onto much steam at all....

----

Sorry if I missed or didn't address other comments about this subject but I appreciate the input and opinions that were discussed ...
April 11, 2017 07:21PM
April 11, 2017 11:21PM
Here's an article from Reggaeville.com about a Reggae Revival panel at SXSW... There's a link to the discussion audio on soundcloud at the bottom of the article as well.
https://www.reggaeville.com/artist-details/jah9/news/view/reggae-revival-reggae-revolution-sxsw-2017-part-i/
April 12, 2017 04:36AM
who was the last Reggae act (Non Dancehall) to appear on any show on US Network Television? I ask that question in all sincerity (sp) because I don't know. I know Beenie Man was on ARESENIOOOOOO HALL back in the day I am sure Sean Paul and Shaggy have been on at some point. When you think of Reggae Music everyone knows what it is but they think about a guy who has been gone for almost 40 years of they think of his kids. The very fact that someone from the "so called revival" has broken through to mainstream US exposure singing roots rock reggae music is in fact a revival. Does that mean that Reggae hasn't been being made at the highest level? No. It does mean that no one outside of reggae heads has taken notice for the last 30 years. Two years ago in Portland Oregon at The Edgefield (large outdoor venue) where they play a lot of the best outdoor shows in the area Michael Franti came through... he had a young woman call Natali Rize appear with him... she was backed by the Notis (so sick) Heavyweight Rockers when their set was over the DJ or Soundman or whatever they have their started playing Diamond Sox by Iba Mahr (Notis on the production) and as I looked around people who had never listened to reggae outside of Bob and maybe Maxi Priest were busting loose.. For the masses the revival is real and it is a "transfer of legacy". It isn't something that one can belong to or own but it is very real and not just a marketing thing. It is about the re introduction of reggae to the next generation and that can only be applauded.
April 12, 2017 09:50PM
With the number of views and comments on my Chronixx video, i would say there is a revival of something there......

Love that reggae!
April 13, 2017 03:44AM
when harmony and melody returns to the music, then we can start talking about 'revival'

April 13, 2017 05:15AM
Listen to No Maddz BV.. listen to Earthkry...
April 13, 2017 09:11PM

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login