Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF going stress hall?

Posted by jcom 
SNWMF going stress hall?
February 25, 2017 04:58PM
With all due respect, the lineup looks pretty "stress hall" to me. For over 25 years, I've always been a big proponent of SNWMF because of its roosty roots. Can we expect this to stay the same or are time just changing?
Re: SNWMF going stress hall?
February 26, 2017 04:21PM
Just curious what artists you're referring to? Stress hall?
February 26, 2017 09:50PM
hmmmm...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
February 27, 2017 03:28AM
it is a meaningless term. The post also has no meaning and should be treated as such.
February 27, 2017 06:08AM
So is he referring to artists like Chronixx? Tarrus Riley? Black Seeds? Outside of Capleton, I don't see any artists on the bill that would fit in the "stress hall" category...whatever the hell that means.
February 27, 2017 03:30PM
Wasn't this same discussion raised here about 5 years ago....?
February 27, 2017 04:07PM
Gotta agree with Ninja on this one, meaningless.
February 27, 2017 04:28PM
If 'stress' don't impress, then move towards something else....

February 27, 2017 09:05PM
there's probably no control over it , but i thought it would be nice to see if capleton
could do a set of more full songs instead of the current JA style 30 second soundbite into puuuuuuuuuuullllluppp
a
February 27, 2017 09:20PM
I may be wrong but I think that was done more so in the early days of many Jamaican artist US performances. Where they didn't realize half the crowd thinks something is wrong... I saw Jah Mason back in like 98 in Ashland Oregon... he came through with Rocker T... he was pulling up tunes after 30 seconds and the people thought something was wrong with the equipment.
February 27, 2017 09:43PM
no needless haul pull gimmicky here(although it does have its place)... lyrics, presentation, and professionalism like rain drops..

February 28, 2017 05:15AM
nice tune
February 28, 2017 03:16PM
man i have seen some really cool live stuff on this bbc live 1xtra. this is just wicked, all of them...king jammy$ too!!!
thanks for posting this bv.

beenie man looks like a natural born director!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
February 28, 2017 03:34PM
whats funny is, everyone in my house started dancing once they came in with the sleng teng riddim.

agree, beenie seemed to be directing the thing, but at times i wish he would just sit in the back like bunny general and wait for the mic to be passed.
one time he went for the mic and josie pulled away from him as if to say, 'stop being a pest'
seemed uncomfortable to me and took away from the experience a bit..
but then again, i dont know or understand the REAL jamaican bredrin interactions and dynamics.
that whole in your face thing beenie was doing may be a common in day to day bredrin runnings.. but to me
i would have been like 'wait for your turn man'

in all though, loved how the mic passed and lyrics flowed non-stop. jammy was in fine form and
the whole session just came so freakn natural to him.. its one thing to promote a local artist and big up their
works, but when you watch professionals like this in action... everything else is amateur hour.. for real..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2017 03:34PM by bigvein.
February 28, 2017 05:24PM
agree 100%.

i was waiting for jammy to wave him away from the board in annoyance! but he took instruction from beenie a couple of times.

great interaction and flow in this live radio setting. i love it!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
February 28, 2017 06:30PM
IMO 'Dance Hell' is a more accurate definition

DJ Boethius (AD 470 - 524)
"Music is a part of us and either enables or degrades our behaviour."

Original Dance Hall / U Roy, Trinity etc. sweet ... but then the ego & low shakra vibes & misplaced anger Dance Hell come into it

Like the Iyah1 teach "Discern Spirits" for they can come as true & they can come as skillful deceivers. Does it carry the love?. is it kind & gentle to one another?

Bob Andy know

February 28, 2017 07:27PM
consider that the release of "anger" that you hear on a lot of records is an actual release of anger, frustration and general discontentment with the system and the total lack of opportunity that a lot of Jamaica's youth endure on a daily basis. It actually serves a purpose that goes beyond your entertainment. There are a lot of tunes that I don't listen to and I don't play. However I don't "dis" those tunes either because I know for a lot of people that is there "positive" release. How could I consider a song about shooting someone or robbing someone a "positive" well because in order to make those songs and perform them you have no time to "rob and shoot" and beyond that if you make money from them you have no need to rob and shoot. Eventually those songs are replaced by more "progressive" tunes as the life of the artist progresses. It isn't all about "vibes" and "shakra" where a lot of people live. Survival replaces those things.
February 28, 2017 07:38PM
This is the kind of 'anger' that I can relate to.....

February 28, 2017 08:19PM
sure but just like people are different and diverse you should expect a wide range of expression when it comes to anger and frustration.

I would say this as well. It may not be your cup of tea but there is no need to say anything negative about it IMO
February 28, 2017 08:34PM

just like people are different and diverse you should expect a wide range of expression when it comes to anger and frustration.

True and, like you, I will promote and big up selections I can relate to and leave the others behind for others to enjoy....
February 28, 2017 08:41PM
yessir
March 08, 2017 04:12PM
Daniel
This is the kind of 'anger' that I can relate to.....

Hear Hear!

I didn't mean that Gentleman was the epitome of stress hall, but when he's the lead act, or cheesy @#$%& like SOJA, or Rebelution, I get concerned. You all know what I mean by "Stress Hall"....don't pretend like you don't. It's not reggae. It's screaming, angry, constant pullback, crap. If that's you're thing, that's cool. It's just not what SNWMF has been about since its inception. I've been attending SNWMF, ROTR, and 100s of other reggae fests since the late 80s. I simply don't like getting screamed and yelled at. I like flowing roots sounds. Mighty Diamonds, Culture, Alpha Blondy, Gladiators, Gregory Isaacs, Cocoa Tea, 10 ft. Ganja Plant, Black Slate, Black Uhuru, Burning Spear, Israel Vibration, Windy City, Dennis Brown, Heptones, Hugh Mundell, Itals, Ethiopians, Viceroys, Jackie Mitoo, JAcob Miller, Gregory Isaacs, Lucky Dube, Johnny Clarke, Ken Boothe, Luciano, MAx Romeo, Melodians, Misty in Roots, Nasio Fontaine, Barrington Levy, Ras Midas, Tamlins, U-Roy, Winston Jarrett, Wailing Souls, Yabby You, etc, etc. etc.

You all know what I mean. I know many of these artists have sadly passed on, but there is still new, conscious, flowing roots out there and up and comers as well. Stress Hall makes me stressed, doesn't flow, and is not what SNWMF is all about. Not Ninjaman, Elephant Man, Capleton, etc. Sizzla does have some roots, but right when it starts to get nice, he starts stomping, screaming, and doing pull ups (or pull backs, or whatever the F you want to call that crap) and it ruins the flow and vibe. I'm just saying, don't let SNWMF turn into ROTR or whatever they're calling Sunsplash in JA these days.

If you want Capleton, Ninja Man, Elephant Man, Bounty Killer, Shaggy, Mr. Vegas. etc. etc. and all these no talent, auto tune crap artists screaming, yelling, and stopping mid "song"....well, then, have fun. My 42 year old ass will sit in his rocking chair and bust out the vinyl. I get it that whatever sells tickets is what these promoters want...but all you true roots lovers know exactly what I'm talking about. I tried, but couldn't hang with Capleton at ROTR in '04 at ROTR...made my chronic migraine even worse.

Guess for a "non-topic", I've started a discussion nonetheless.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 11:07PM by jcom.
March 08, 2017 04:41PM
NOW HEAR THIS....simply put you can decide what you like.. you can't decide what is reggae and what is not. If you think that the artist you name Capleton, Ninjaman, Ele, Shaggy and Vegas are "no talent" then so be it. Roots is one type of reggae.. it isn't the only type.. so says my 42 year old ass
March 08, 2017 05:21PM
jcom
If you want Capleton, Ninja Man, Elephant Man, Shaggy, Mr. Vegas. etc. etc. and all these no talent, auto tune crap artists screaming, yelling, and stopping mid "song"....well, then, have fun. My 42 year old ass will sit in his rocking chair and bust out the vinyl. I get it that whatever sells tickets is what these promoters want...but all you true roots lovers know exactly what I'm talking about.

Guess for a "non-topic", I've started a discussion nonetheless.

If you really consider Mr Vegas "no talent, autotune crap artist screaming, yelling and stopping" you obviously havne't listened to his music much... He's not my #1 artist by any means - but dude can sing better than most, even from among some of the names you mentioned.

March 08, 2017 08:05PM
i know my tastes are very similar to jcom's; i prefer classic roots, but still i rate vegas and check for different styles!
different moods and attitudes.

here are a couple i like from recent...not sure about the video, but i rate the sounds!

own leader:

love yourself:

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
March 08, 2017 08:24PM
BOOM!!! Big Tunes!!!
March 08, 2017 10:10PM
Looks like Vegas has grown up some (musically and socially) since I saw him at ROTR in '04 (I think it was). Two of the of the three tracks above are ok to my ears. He was terrible at ROTR back in '04 and all but go booed off the stage. Had a bunch of ladies in bikinis (which I certainly didn't mind), but he was disrespecting them and grabbing their asses and @#$%& like that. I'm okay with ass grabbing in "Las Vegas" but not when Mr. Vegas was doing it at ROTR, sounding like crap and totally disrespecting these fine sisters. Had he sounded good...well, that's another story (sans the disrespectful nature of it).

Oh, and Sean Paul was thoroughly hated off the stage...pretty sure that was SNWMF.

Hey, you know who I saw several times, bought his albums, and still listen to? Shinehead. That's some respectful, easy on the ears dancehall.

I like the real, true, old school dancehall....and, of course, de ROOTS! To each his own. Just stating what I always loved SNWMF for and hoping what it doesn't turn into.

Bless, bless.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 11:03PM by jcom.
March 08, 2017 10:13PM
Ninja
NOW HEAR THIS....simply put you can decide what you like.. you can't decide what is reggae and what is not. If you think that the artist you name Capleton, Ninjaman, Ele, Shaggy and Vegas are "no talent" then so be it. Roots is one type of reggae.. it isn't the only type.. so says my 42 year old ass

I (somewhat) take back saying that the aforementioned "artists" are not reggae, per se. I said that they are not roots, which has been the foundation of SNWMF for decades. Times, they be a changin...and I be gettin older....and that's all fine. That's what happens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 10:25PM by jcom.
March 08, 2017 10:24PM
"You all know what I mean by "Stress Hall"....don't pretend like you don't. It's not reggae."
-jcom" 2017

I know alternative facts are cool and all these days but really?

Like I said, you can like what you like etc, no reason to come over and disrespect what other people like in order to get your point across. Not to mention the first time I came to SNWMF back in Angel's Camp I saw Capleton, Barrington Levy, Mighty Crown etc.. not sure what you mean cause that was over a decade ago.
March 08, 2017 10:26PM
Ha ha, you caught me before I could edit my change. My bad, I was half asleep. Anywhoooo, it's not roots. Bless

By the way, love me some Barrington Levy. He's on my list of whom I like, in case you missed it....love me some Levy. My 1st SNWMF was approx. 1994 on the Feather River site. My 1st Sunsplash was in 1988. I'm talking about shows when Dennis Brown, Freddie McGregor, Roots Radics, Israel, Steel Pulse (the old school Steel Pulse - their 1st four albums @#$%&), U-Roy, Alric Forbes, Peter Broggs, John Holt, Barrington Levy, Aswad, Culture, etc. were the big names on the list.

Just to clear up my position. I'm fine with some newer age, what I call stress hall acts. I just don't want to see this fest go to what used to be a 95% roots show. Whatever's hot in Jamaica doesn't have to jibe with what SNWMF is. I wouldn't care to see the majority of acts at JA's Sunsplash these days.

Anyway, I think the horse is dead. Nuff said.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 10:48PM by jcom.
March 08, 2017 10:41PM
no worries.. I know what you mean. I just disagree.. if that is the worst thing that happens today we are both having pretty good days. Bless
March 08, 2017 10:42PM
True true, bless.
March 08, 2017 10:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 10:51PM by jcom.
March 08, 2017 11:26PM
bigvein
no needless haul pull gimmicky here(although it does have its place)... lyrics, presentation, and professionalism like rain drops..

Very nice but, to reiterate others' input, Beenie should have let the mic flow natural, seems like he wanted to control it. Nevertheless, nice freestyle...The Boardman is clearly lovin it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2017 11:32PM by jcom.
March 09, 2017 01:21AM
Free World Boss
March 09, 2017 04:55AM
jcom

Oh, and Sean Paul was thoroughly hated off the stage...pretty sure that was SNWMF.

That was ROTR...

respect
March 09, 2017 03:23PM
the boardman...you mean king jammy$?! too tough!

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
March 09, 2017 03:23PM
yeah.. that was ROTR... he just didn't know where he was. First time I saw Vegas was at ROTR.. he kept saying "BIG UP SAN FRANSISCO" I found it humorous
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login