Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tourism in Jamaica

Posted by Ninja 
Tourism in Jamaica
March 06, 2017 09:58PM
I have been to Jamaica twice and it has been fun and generally enjoyable both times I have been. I was standing in line the other day for a J Boog show and I was talking to these two people behind me.. one a guy and one a gal. Both were in their 20's. I mentioned Jamaica this and that and dude says to me "to be honest I am scared to go to Jamaica"... I was kind of shocked at first and then I started thinking about all the "ghost stories" I have heard in my life about the little island in the sun and I realized this might be a HUGE factor for a lot of people when it comes to picking a place to go on vacation. Have others heard this same thing?
Re: Tourism in Jamaica
March 07, 2017 02:48AM
The fear of Jamaica is a huge barrier to tourism as well as returning residents...

I've experienced some bad in this country. I've had a few friends and associates die violent deaths... My old office was broken into on a few occssions. These things happen... could happen in kingston or california.

I've also experienced a lot of good. And the bad that I have seen has almost never affected tourists. I'm sure there's instances where it has, but it is incredibly rare. I'd recommend jamaica as a travel destination. I wouldn't suggest people do things they wouldn't do at home. Common sense and the company you keep can take you a long way.

I get people's fears of jamaica with everything that comes in the media here. There's many things I wish would change in Jamaica. But it's home and I love it, and think those who give it a chance will be likely to love it as well.
March 08, 2017 02:40AM
James put it well, and I would have 2nd that most of the bad stuff that does happen in JA. is not to tourists I can see how ones trip there could vary quite a bit, and you do have to deal with a whole heap of hustling... I love the place, cant even remember how many times I been there now, its home away from home for now, Jah willing someday home!
March 08, 2017 03:59AM
I told someone I have never seen the look on the face of this youth who was hanging out with us in Negril compared to when he saw the owner of the small hotel show up. It was like a look of terror. Of course the dude was 3 shades lighter than me and I look around and all of the non hotel guests made themselves scarce. I asked the youth later when I saw him what the story was and he said that was the owner of the hotel. He didn't like when natives "messed" with the people at his hotel. I said "no one was messing with anyone".. he said "In Jamaica basically the JDF, The cops and the business owners are the only one's to have guns (legally). He said "the owner doesn't play".. I thought in my head "I see how this is, messing with a tourist is the quickest way to end up a thing of the past". You kind of feel like you are the guest of the mafia.I never really worried about rolling around at night etc. I just figures most people aren't going to mess with you if you aren't messing with them. Basically do what you do at home and use some basic sense. I have had nothing but good times in JA... The only run in I had was at the Airport.. for some reason when I was like at the last stop in customs the woman told me I couldn't come in with Camo shorts on. Luckily I had another pair in my carry on or I am not sure how that would have been resolved. To this day I am confused as to why.. but like I said, nothing but good times and suggest it to everyone I know.
March 08, 2017 08:45PM
March 08, 2017 11:28PM
My moms just had a nice trip there. Didn't complain about too much hustlin...but not sure when and where she was gettin out.
March 09, 2017 03:30PM
Took the bus system and route taxis all around Kingston, from mona to hellshire beach to port royal back to Mona!! Least amount of hastle by far in Kingston than most other parts of the island! Everyone was very friendly and helpful when we were still figuring out the runnings!
March 12, 2017 03:50PM
Ninja
I told someone I have never seen the look on the face of this youth who was hanging out with us in Negril compared to when he saw the owner of the small hotel show up. It was like a look of terror. Of course the dude was 3 shades lighter than me and I look around and all of the non hotel guests made themselves scarce. I asked the youth later when I saw him what the story was and he said that was the owner of the hotel. He didn't like when natives "messed" with the people at his hotel. I said "no one was messing with anyone".. he said "In Jamaica basically the JDF, The cops and the business owners are the only one's to have guns (legally). He said "the owner doesn't play".. I thought in my head "I see how this is, messing with a tourist is the quickest way to end up a thing of the past". You kind of feel like you are the guest of the mafia.I never really worried about rolling around at night etc. I just figures most people aren't going to mess with you if you aren't messing with them. Basically do what you do at home and use some basic sense. I have had nothing but good times in JA... The only run in I had was at the Airport.. for some reason when I was like at the last stop in customs the woman told me I couldn't come in with Camo shorts on. Luckily I had another pair in my carry on or I am not sure how that would have been resolved. To this day I am confused as to why.. but like I said, nothing but good times and suggest it to everyone I know.
You cant fly in with Camo to plenty of Churchical islands in W. I.
For soldiers and serious business only. Other things anti religion or different religion could be confiscated as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login