Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

10 ft. Ganja Plant

Posted by jcom 
10 ft. Ganja Plant
March 09, 2017 12:08AM
I must continue my annual request for 10 ft. Ganja Plant. If you haven't listened to their albums "Bass Chalice" "Hillside Airstrip" "Midnight Landing" "Bushrock" or any of their other tunes, I highly encourage you to do so. I've exchanged emails with them and they want to come to the Best Coast, but want to do a couple of other shows if they come out from NY. Some of the rootsiest, horn enhances, bass enhanced, etc. reggae of all time. These guys get it. Quote from the band: "After Bush Rock was released, we began to look farther back to classic sounds of groups like The Upsetters, Silvertones, Pioneers, Gladiators, Gregory Isaacs, Lee Perry, The Maytones, Burning Spear and some of the great instrumentalists that graced their tracks, such as Ernest Ranglin, Lynn Taitt, Jackie Mittoo, Carlton and Family Man Barrett, and countless others."

Re: 10 ft. Ganja Plant
March 09, 2017 05:19AM
i find it hilarious that you dislike rebelution and soja so much but rate these dudes
March 09, 2017 12:29PM
I think they have a much different sound from rebelution and soja.

I'm not sure if they are still even a band though. Pretty sure they recorded most of an album a year or so ago and nothing has happened with it. I also remember hearing that they kicked kevin kinsella out.
March 09, 2017 03:02PM
I've had some friends reach out and try to book 10 ft for a one off west coast festival slot as well. They basically said they would do it if the small time fest promoter booked them a whole west coast tour and payed them a ridiculous amount of money per show. For the amount of money that 10 ft was asking for the festival slot, one could have booked a serious roots act from JA or elsewhere.

IMO, if 10ft really wanted to tour the west coast, they would have their manager get up and book them a west coast tour, not put it on the small time promoters who hit them up now and again for a festival slot. They're a great band who barely ever play live shows, and have only a relatively small following within the greater reggae world. Maybe they should humble themselves and come out here to build a vibes without worrying about making 100,000 in a short tour when they might not deserve it yet...
March 09, 2017 05:12PM
The group is not a traditional band. They are intentionally mysterious about the membership and info. Most are accomplished rotating musicians from the North East. Since they dont actually play together regularly they need a significant amount of capitol to step away from other projects, bands, day jobs etc.

So it is what it is. They need what they need so it goes. Festival slots are expensive so it goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 05:21PM by papajoshua.
March 11, 2017 06:48AM
tahoearmada
i find it hilarious that you dislike rebelution and soja so much but rate these dudes

Glad I could humor you...IMHO, they are in a far, far, far different league than SOJA and Rebelution....therefore, you too have humored me. 10ft. is MUCH more focused on the drum and bass (and horns)...If you take note, many of their songs have no singing at all. Tit for tat. To each his own, bless bless.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 07:03AM by jcom.
March 11, 2017 06:53AM
papajoshua
The group is not a traditional band. They are intentionally mysterious about the membership and info. Most are accomplished rotating musicians from the North East. Since they dont actually play together regularly they need a significant amount of capitol to step away from other projects, bands, day jobs etc.

So it is what it is. They need what they need so it goes. Festival slots are expensive so it goes.

Exactly, they are a "get together here and there" band who records occasional albums. If you listen to them, and don't feel that they have the roots and respect (check their website too...they often pay homage to some of the all time greats and how they've been influenced) then you are not seeing or hearing them. I've exchanged several emails with several band members, and their motivation is not about money. They love to play, that's about it. Hate if you want to, they have a ton of respect from many of the big (and not so big) names in the reggae world. To each his own.

I can guarantee that if they played at SNWMF, they would receive big accolades. I love their riddims. Again, to each his own. Bless Bless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 06:57AM by jcom.
March 11, 2017 07:08AM
Not trying to push the matter, or claim that I have "the ear"...But I slept in my truck on the main road in Boomville 2013 and was playing much a 10 ft. Ganja Plant. Many people asked me who I was playing and I told them and they loved it. Wasn't me pushing them, just the ears of others.

On a side note to Daniel...if you can ever get Windy City to come back to SNWMF, you will be my absolute hero. They were SO stoked to be able to see Alpha Blondy. I hung out with them on the sidelines between sets and they could not say enough about how glad they were to be invited and to play at SNWMF. Seeing Alpha Blondy was like a dream come true to them. Some of the most grateful and humble people I've ever met. Daniel, I know you love you some Windy City me lah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 07:10AM by jcom.
March 11, 2017 04:49PM

On a side note to Daniel...if you can ever get Windy City to come back to SNWMF, you will be my absolute hero.

In my book, those sets by Windy City in 2013 are the PERSONIFICATION of "roots music" and I've experienced nothing better in all my years at this (or any other) festival. I listened to those sets constantly for 2 years and still do so quite a bit. The musicianship is outstanding and the way they fused the melodica and didgeridoo together was amazing.

Regrettably, the band splintered shortly after their visit to the USofA. The drummer (Kim Ban Jang) continues to perform under the moniker of Kim Ban Jang and Windy City. The keyboardist and melodica player (Junghyun) left her melodica behind in favor of an accordion and now performs in Suri Suri Mahasuri, a band that fuses Korean and Moroccan together. The bass player (Noh Seon Teck) went on to form NST & the Soul Sauce, who released an EP last year entitled "Heaven is Here / Song for Rico" and have a full length album that will be released later this year.

Kim Ban Jang and Windy City were supposed to perform at SXSW next week, but I just read that their performance has been canceled. I hope this has nothing to do with the political follies that took place in Korea over the past 2 days.

Here are some vids and links to each of these entities. I'm hoping Warren has the steadfastness to get some Korean roots music to this festival one of these years....

Kim Ban Jang and Windy City:
Facebook Page

Suri Suri Mahasuri:
Web Site
Facebook Page

NST & the Soul Sauce:
Web Site
Facebook Page

March 11, 2017 07:35PM
Ya, this was peak:

Love that reggae!
March 31, 2017 06:40AM
That bums me out to hear that Windy City has split paths. Such is the course of bands and music. Much love to SWNMF, Daniel, and the crew for bringing them in 2013. It was surreal. Love Windy City....Bless. They were great people and I loved hanging with them in their anticipation and excitement to see Alpha Blondy...they were like kids on Christmas. Bless, Bless to NoMo for the excellent footage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 06:48AM by jcom.
March 31, 2017 05:52PM
Kim Ban Jang and Windy City were supposed to perform at SXSW next week, but I just read that their performance has been cancele
d.

Yes, it was cancelled..and a big reason I didn't venture down to Flamingo that week

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
April 02, 2017 10:03PM
Not to distract from 10ft Ganja, but we get to SNWMF, or any other festival, not very often. Windy City was a true highlight that weekend...Roots, Asian/Buddhist/Rasta style.....so damn good.

Peace
April 04, 2017 04:06PM
Looks like we're getting some Windy City vibes after all with Eastern Standard Sounds and NST & The Soul Sauce.

Looking forward to these!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login