Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marley goes Pop

Posted by Daniel 
Marley goes Pop
April 05, 2017 02:42PM
That would be skip and soda of course....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 08:23PM by Daniel.
Re: Marley goes Pop
April 05, 2017 03:45PM
skip and his parents/uncles are soooo far removed from 'rock stone was my bed last night', its laughable.
April 05, 2017 05:54PM
bv say
skip and his parents/uncles are soooo far removed from 'rock stone was my bed last night', its laughable

Is it? Does the Skip fall far from the block? How far are u removed from 'rock stone was my bed last night'? how far removed are those of us of this board readership, living in the relative peace & prosperity of the West?

Who got the right & ability to judge who in these times? Regardless the reality of injustice, there is a sub-plot within, that polarization and confrontation is not the healing of the defaults & false dualism of this dimension

Native Indian proverb
The left wing and right wing belong to the same bird.

This pepsi ad is actually part of an elaborate and very mysterious plan by certain powahs-dat-be. It’s the first scene of what, on the surface may appear to be a sci-fi time-travel type movie. There are some very horrific further scenes soon come, but no worries … there will be plenty of contrition and repentance scenes … and then in a strange twist, that’s hard for us to presently wrap our heads around – the movie segues into beautiful righteous sequels without end.

keep calm ... every likkle ting gunna be alright (3 likkle spirit helper birds tell us so)

April 05, 2017 08:19PM
The video link doesn't work, but I am thinking it's the track with Katy Perry. When the single subsequently launched at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100, Skip became the first Marley to appear in the top 10 of the chart. Kind of a big deal. Bob, Ziggy and Damian have all put out crossover tracks with the obvious goal of mass exposure, Skip has clearly succeeded the most even though he is still relatively new to the scene. Although the song has little merit, IMO it is good if it gets mainstream folks listening to/purchasing reggae and he keeps the majority of his music legit. His new tune Lions is hella on point and could go down as an anthem for his generation.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
April 05, 2017 08:25PM
No, it's his 'Lions' tune, which is the only Skip track that I've enjoyed to date....
April 05, 2017 09:09PM
Love that tune. Interesting that the Pepsi Max is a grimier version of this ad:

Is this ad tone deaf or what? To me, it is offensive. Pepsi attempts to increase its corporate profits by appropriating the BLM movement -- a movement that arose in response to shootings/deaths of African Americans at the hands of authority-drunk police. However, it fails miserably -- I do not remember break dancers or live music at any of the protests, do you? What do you think would have happened if a protester tried to give a can of soda to a cop? A beat down/arrest would have ensued, like this picture from a real protest:

Pepsi's message seems to be if the BLM movement were led by a 21-year-old white supermodel armed with a can of fizzy soda, then maybe everyone would just get along.
April 05, 2017 09:30PM
Yes, it's offensive. If only those muslims would buy pepsi, cops would be human.

Love that reggae!
April 05, 2017 09:30PM
it is an ad for Pepsi.. who cares that they don't get it. Tune is legit... PS your favorite artists "pick one" would probably have their tunes played for the ad to is Pepsi cut the check. This is America, everything is for sale. Think about that as your write your critiques on your corporate laptop, using corporate internet on a capitalist website.
April 05, 2017 09:31PM
Daniel
No, it's his 'Lions' tune, which is the only Skip track that I've enjoyed to date....

Well that's different then. I really like that tune as I mentioned. I also like this version of "Cry To Me".

April 05, 2017 09:36PM
word.. track is fresh
April 05, 2017 10:33PM
'Lion' is a tough tune.

Ninja -- respects, as always. I always get a little kick out of you bringing up that whole "your-a-hypocrite-for-complaining-while-typing-on-your-corporate-produced-PC-and-posting-it-on-the-internet-using-your-corporate-ISP" (which soon will be selling your data to the highest bidder) thing. Clearly, we are all hypocrites in this regard.

But in the 21st century, what choice do we have. I like to protect the environment because we are killing ourselves and our children and our children's children if we don't. I embrace the idea of global warming and man's effect on the climate. But I am a hypocrite because I drive a car. I am a software engineer, so electronics is integrated into my life on so many levels. Yet the production of the electronics components that are in my computer, my tablet, my phone, my car, my television, my appliances, even my guitars are incredibly damaging to the environment. Every day I work, I become a bigger hypocrite. I watch the news this morning and the stench of my hypocrisy lingered into the early afternoon. I nuked my lunch this afternoon and, while enjoying my chicken noodle soup, the crying of the trees rang faint in my ears. Tonight, as I practice my scales on my 5-string Ibanez bass, I will actively ignore the guilt of my eco-crime.

But what to do? Solutions -- real, practical solutions, are difficult to come up with. Much easier to snipe from the blind. That way, moral superiority is yours and we offenders must beg your forgiveness, as I do now.

Pray tell, all-knowing Ninja, teach is all to be enlightened eco-citizens by telling us how you lead a non-hypocritical existence in this time.

BTW - BV is your soulmate in this regard, just so you don't think I'm singling you out -- hmmm, but I think I just did (sh!t - I guess I'm not done with being a hypocrite yet.)
April 06, 2017 01:10AM
was really not too surprised by this sell out... whole idea is bullsh!t. good riddance.
Pepsi Pulls Kendall Jenner Ad After Social Media Backlash

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2017 01:11AM by Ras Danny.
April 06, 2017 02:03PM
Walter, you are my philosophical soulmate

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
April 06, 2017 06:51PM
it is the "width" of the complaint that I have issue with. It is like when I hear someone say "this corporate sell out" etc. If you want to complain because you believe he is contributing to the culture that is causing the pain being felt then say so. I am pointing out that it clearly isn't just his support and association with a corporation in general because if it were then we are all guilty. If your (not your but anyone's) complaint is more specific then be more specific. The term corporate has taken on a new definition meaning anything corporate is bad. This is clearly nonsense. It is like saying any nation is bad because North Korea is a Nation State or any government is bad because of the Trump administration. As to the "fake outrage" over a Pepsi commercial. Who cares? Did you buy Pepsi yesterday? Do they set social policy? To me it is like a comment from Ted Nugent.. am I surprised by what he says? No. Am I effected by what he says? No. Is he always going to say wack stuff that is probably in direct opposition to me? Yes.. and the world keeps spinning. The more people talk about this add the more Pepsi gets out of it. I just think people should focus on things that matter instead of worrying about how and what Pepsi thinks.
April 06, 2017 09:46PM
Revised Pepsi commercial.. .

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 06, 2017 11:09PM
and how has the system been so oppressive to skip and family ?

the same system that protects the marley IP and any likeness to bob marley ?

the same system that awarded the estate a 9 figure payout some 20+ years ago ?

the same system who finds for the marley estate, while denying bunny and others their
supposed due ?

so while i big up progress and prosperity, i dont big up fashion statements such as this one.

in terms of wealth, these guys are the elite.. an estate worth north of US$100mil.. with each
child being worth $10mil+ on their own..
April 07, 2017 03:37AM
"BTW - BV is your soulmate in this regard..."

Yes, two black men on a reggae Reggae message forum....
April 07, 2017 01:59PM
J_72
"BTW - BV is your soulmate in this regard..."

Yes, two black men on a reggae Reggae message forum....

Huh? Why mention race? The reason I consider tham soulmates on the subject (I repeat - on the subject) we're talking about is that they both have chimed in with the whole "you use a computer on this messageboard, so your environmental advocacy smacks of hypocrisy" thing.

So again, I cannot see why the fact that they are "two black men..." is germane. Let go of your white guilt, J_72 -- it is almost as offensive as overt bigotry.
April 07, 2017 02:44PM
especially since i self identify as an ethnic jew these days..

big up j_72 still!!
April 07, 2017 04:17PM
so it isn't a thing.. it is a why do you complain about things so widely when by the very nature of your argument you are running down people for the same thing you do. What I am pointing out is that people often times complain about others when they are doing something they wouldn't do but all the while they normalize their own behavior instead of realizing that we all engage in the "problem".. For instance we complain about the military and the police but make sure on April 15th we pay for the very things we complain about vs facing the consequences of not complying. To me this is not hypocritical it just lacks reason beyond the most simple form. I work for a corporation so often times I find people trying to "use that against me". I point out that they work for the US Government, Exxon Mobile and the Koch Brothers because of where and how they spend their money and they want to act like they aren't part of the problem. Just being alive in the US is buying into capitalism and the same systems of oppression that we often times find ourselves at odds with. Does this mean we should all just shut up and get fat of big macs and pepsi? No. but it does mean that some of the righteous indignation is false or just "alternative indignation". Rambling done... for now
May 09, 2017 08:06PM
skip... all money isnt good money..

May 10, 2017 06:52PM
sure it is.. most money is blood money to begin with..
May 10, 2017 08:25PM
Money is not the root of all evil. It is just a tool and like all tool it can be used to help or hurt ... yuh know: Swords or ploughshares and on it's rhydm dimension, Roots Reggae vs Ja. Gangsta Rap & Dance Hell

What stem from the root of evil is cravalicious lust of money ... same deceptive root from which issue the 7 deadlies

BV

Mi no feel to open the Jeff Rense thing. Mi tired of the conspiracy yadda yadda. It's not a theory - it's a fact but so what? It's retro human/monkey default to turn truths into half truths and half truths into no truths ... and the primary thrust of the conspiracy pedlars is spreading Fear mentality.

Everyone has a right to defend themselves but more time, like the Iyah1 say: "A kind word turn away wrath" ... so go about doing good and have no fear of men or atomic energy cuz none of them can stop the time and every likkle ting gunna be alright.

More time the conspiracy OCD mentality is the anxiety reflex for those too blind and stubborn to take an honest look at themself

Howard Thurman (Martin's elder teacher when he was a teenage theology student)

"Don't ask what you can do to change the world. Ask what you can do to come alive and go do it, because what this world needs is more people to come alive."

"music is part of us, and either ennobles or degrades our behaviour" - Boethius AD 480 - 524
May 10, 2017 08:27PM
bigvein
skip... all money isnt good money..

BV, did you actually watch this hot mess of a video you posted?
May 11, 2017 04:50PM
side note.. Dancehall is part of Reggae Culture.. stop trying to separate what you did not either originate or participate in. You don't have to like Dancehall Music but to act as if it is all the same is silly and it makes you sound uneducated. To hear people call it stress hall or dance hell is just to completely misunderstand what is going on. I am not telling you what to like. I am telling you that you have no authority to speak on this matter.
May 12, 2017 02:12AM
No guilt here, Walter. Just calling it as I read it. Things haven't changed much here at this forum, nor in the reggae world...

Walter

So again, I cannot see why the fact that they are "two black men..." is germane. Let go of your white guilt, J_72 -- it is almost as offensive as overt bigotry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login