Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

musical sweetness

Posted by bigvein 
musical sweetness
April 11, 2017 05:11PM
for some reason i have a soft spot for harmony groups and singers backed by these militant sly-n-robbie channel one riddims
singers like the tamlins, jays, earth n stone, might diamonds, creole, tinga stewart... sweetness!!

Re: musical sweetness
April 11, 2017 09:39PM
not familiar with creole
what's a song or two to check by them?
a
April 11, 2017 09:56PM
i was probably thinking of 'bold one'

April 12, 2017 01:43AM
maybe not BV--

couple creole tunes from off the head top:
beware of your enemies, jah creation

they have others but i'm not familiar.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
April 12, 2017 02:21AM
yes, big up MK..

i guess what i meant to say is, when i typed in 'creole' i was actually thinking 'bold one'
in my mind i was thinking about 'long about now' and wasnt 100% sure who the singer on that one was..
so i just typed in 'creole', since most of the groups on my list are taken from a channel one mix
jah bill put together for me sometime 2000ish..
i was just too lazy to look up my channel one track list at the time of my initial post.

mosquito killer
maybe not BV--

couple creole tunes from off the head top:
beware of your enemies, jah creation

they have others but i'm not familiar.

m.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 02:24AM by bigvein.
April 12, 2017 02:41AM
on a somewhat related note, i'm kinda feeling a way after listening to all these old time songs today.
i guess i'm a bit emotional thinking back to the times when all these sounds were so new to me.
but while they almost 10-20 years old by the time i got around to discovering them, the sound
was new to me, and i couldnt get enough. anything channel one backed by the revolutionaries i had to have it... anything out of the uk from those lovers rock years... i need it..

so yeah, the emotions of years gone by, and this feeling that the
music just isnt the same anymore, has me feeling kinda bitter sweet..
bitter because of those memories and times are gone.. but sweet because the singers and riddim tracks
havent changed their effect on me.

even listening to gregory live in brixton, i think from 1984, man just soo much soul and sweetness.. the energy
midway through the show just overwhelming.. even coming through my tv speakers and some poorly encoded you tube video.. vibes were still there and very sweet..

if i had a software engineers income, instead of spending my wages on dan aikido lessons just so i could trod around the county giving random peoples licks and kicks, i would invest the money in recreating nostalgic reggae sessions.
the main theme of my sessions would be to take the original producer(and possibly players) and walk through re-creating some of the classics they created. i would cover building the riddim, the inspiration behind the riddim or any stories behind why a certain instrument was played a certain way, or why a certain track was added in at a certain time...
i know i always enjoy hearing the back story behind my favorite songs..
at the end of each video session, i would have the original singer and players replay the song in whole so the viewer could take in the finished product.. if the singer wasnt able to sing or no longer here, i would have a fill in who would do the song justice...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 02:54AM by bigvein.
April 12, 2017 01:10PM
Beware of Your Enemies is a massive tune

But I say... Some Never Even Plant yet want to Reap,
If you run, be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm on my own
Now I'm left alone..
April 12, 2017 03:14PM
papaken
Beware of Your Enemies is a massive tune

yeah.. love the dub side of this as well..
April 12, 2017 04:20PM
Serious question for BV: How do you feel about the fact that channel one is very much a "multi cultural" record label? Or about the fact that many of these songs about sufferation and despair were recorded on top of the line "babylonian" equipment? I know you have strong opinions on the matter, i'm curious if you choose to sweep your convictions for the sake of a nice tune?

Many producers across the world are doing exactly what you dream of: hiring old school musicians, singers, etc. to recreate that old school "vibe", sometimes it works and sometimes it falls flat! check out lone ark/roberto sanchez, moa ambessa, vernon maytone, breadwinners, etc. The best part about it is they aren't doing it on a "software engineer's income"!

p.s. I absolutely love the channel one sound, and they still put out records!

p.s.s. please make it to SNWMF one day, I promise it will change your life!
April 12, 2017 05:03PM
with some of the progressive types on this board, i like to take their claims of racism or whatever-ism and point their arguments back at them. please dont mistake those positions as my own.. it's just an exercise in proving out what bob marley once said:

The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too,
So while you point your fingers
someone else is judging you

with regards to 'babylonian equipment'.. i am the first person to promote progress and modernization.
i am also the first to recognize the struggle and sufferation of a group of people who have endured since time.
where i part with the whole 'white-man' is the devil narrative, is when at some point you have
to take stock of your situation and try to do better.. marcus garvery provided a blue print for 'his people'
but that blue print came with instructions of unity coupled with very hard work.
so for whatever reason his people didnt buy what he was selling, and now they are left
with whatever scraps the 'master' brushes off his table.
i guess what i am trying to say is, i am very pro-west, and i see that the west has yielded more good fruit than bad.
so like marcus garvey, i say rise ye mighty race.. recognize your past, but look forward towards a glorious and majestic future.

now, where can i sign up for that bernie tax plan.. you know the one that allows him to pay 13%, while us schlubs are paying 35%+

thelast
Serious question for BV: How do you feel about the fact that channel one is very much a "multi cultural" record label? Or about the fact that many of these songs about sufferation and despair were recorded on top of the line "babylonian" equipment? I know you have strong opinions on the matter, i'm curious if you choose to sweep your convictions for the sake of a nice tune?

Many producers across the world are doing exactly what you dream of: hiring old school musicians, singers, etc. to recreate that old school "vibe", sometimes it works and sometimes it falls flat! check out lone ark/roberto sanchez, moa ambessa, vernon maytone, breadwinners, etc. The best part about it is they aren't doing it on a "software engineer's income"!

p.s. I absolutely love the channel one sound, and they still put out records!

p.s.s. please make it to SNWMF one day, I promise it will change your life!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 05:47PM by bigvein.
April 14, 2017 05:21PM
Bless for the reasoning! Take the system and become bigger than it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login