April 16, 2017 12:12PM
i don't smoke herb
but i recall it mentioned here
that legal corporate weed would hurt the small growers like wal-mart took out
small 5 n dime shops
[www.nytimes.com]
Re: fear of a glut
April 16, 2017 11:00PM
Well this particular farm is an attempt at a big agriculture marijuana project that give thanks is being spearheaded by an iconic and unselfish activist. Big up Steve Deangelo and if there were more people like him we would be winning the battle against the inevitable depersonalized corporate takeover.
April 17, 2017 03:20PM
I think news of a corporate takeover is hype. In Oregon we sell beer. There are plenty of massive brewers selling their product in this state. We also have a couple hundred very personal micro breweries that turn a good profit. There is enough room for everyone from massive corporate entities to micro growers. The micro growers just have to brand themselves and there will always be a market for them. After all who doesn't want to buy local?
April 17, 2017 05:41PM
It is interesting you use beer for the comparison. The craft brew industry is actually facing one of its biggest challenges yet, which is the major brewers (we are down to 2 in N. America) are buying up all the microbrewery's, and trying to keep it quiet by not advertising the new owners on the pkg and labeling. We'll probably see the same thing in the MJ business.
April 17, 2017 06:31PM
sure and the quality of the beer has done nothing but improve in most cases. Having said that... there are still more small micro breweries in Oregon than you can shake a stick at even though several of the more successful have been purchased by the marcro industry
April 17, 2017 06:44PM
I think the "concern" that large corporations would take over MJ once it cot legalized was a nonsense meme pushed by contrarians and certain individuals who didn't want to see legalization because they could make a better profit with prohibition continuing and/or didn't want to deal with having to pay taxes. Cannabis has been legal in Oregon for over two years now and the quality has never been better. Cali's legalization bill was quite similar to Oregon's.
April 18, 2017 12:45AM
Oh no! Big growers have to be legit now and pay taxes and follow regulations and act like their farming counterparts! It's a babylon, corporate takeover!

Sorry for the sarcasm, maybe.
April 18, 2017 05:59PM
J_72
Oh no! Big growers have to be legit now and pay taxes and follow regulations and act like their farming counterparts! It's a babylon, corporate takeover!

Sorry for the sarcasm, maybe.

LOL! Don't be. I think we're on the same track and you expressed the concept more eloquently.
April 18, 2017 07:43PM
IS it last call for craft beer? OpEd by Sam Adams Founder

It is extremely hard for small businesses and small breweries to succeed. Most of them take millions of investment to get started. That what makes the green rush in the past 20 years unique. You dont need start up capital to be successful. But lets be real. Thousands of dollars a pound was never going to last. Even if there is not a "corporate takeover" it still will be an industry dominated by big growers with deep pockets.

I work with flower and vegetable growers who are flipping acres of greenhouses as we speak and crushing the mid and lowend market. The highend will be for the growers who have been around and now have their own deep pockets.

And the start of large corporations entering the space is in the world of ancilary businesses. The same companies that own Miracle Grow(Scotts) is gobbling up the biggest companies in the cannabis lighting and nutrient sector. This article draws clear lines between Beer, hydroponics cannabis and corporate dominance. Long but good read.

How one of America’s most visible Fortune 1000 giants quietly snuck into the cannabis industry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 07:52PM by papajoshua.
April 18, 2017 07:56PM
so the craft brewers that have been purchased like say 10 Barrel here in Oregon... were they forced to sell? Did they just see dollar signs and sell and go live in the Virgin Islands with their pile of money? The point is no one is being forced to do anything. Why demonize a corporate entity for being gluttonous? That is that they are. People can buy and choose what they want and if they don't buy these beers corporations will no longer wish to own them. I work at Nike.. you know how many times I have talked to people who say they don't wear Nike because of it business habits.. I ask them what they wear.. Oh I still wear my Converse Chuck Taylors (my shoe of choice)... problem. Nike owns Converse and has for several years now.. how and why does this matter to the local consumer.. are you still getting what you paid for? Are there more options now because Converse has more options? My point is that everyone is fine with capitalism when they are the one's "capitalizing" the moment when the Debo comes over to "hold your bike" there is a problem. Take SNWMF.. it is a capitalist enterprise. Why does no one have a problem with this? You think the 500 to 700 bucks it cost to come to this fest is a reality for most people? If this fest was owned by Ray Ban would it matter? As long as you know the guy who own's it then it is ok to pay whatever... seems like trying to make the biggest guy on the block out to be a boogie man because he is the biggest guy on the block...
April 18, 2017 08:03PM
Ninja
so the craft brewers that have been purchased like say 10 Barrel here in Oregon... were they forced to sell? Did they just see dollar signs and sell and go live in the Virgin Islands with their pile of money? The point is no one is being forced to do anything. Why demonize a corporate entity for being gluttonous? That is that they are. People can buy and choose what they want and if they don't buy these beers corporations will no longer wish to own them. I work at Nike.. you know how many times I have talked to people who say they don't wear Nike because of it business habits.. I ask them what they wear.. Oh I still wear my Converse Chuck Taylors (my shoe of choice)... problem. Nike owns Converse and has for several years now.. how and why does this matter to the local consumer.. are you still getting what you paid for? Are there more options now because Converse has more options? My point is that everyone is fine with capitalism when they are the one's "capitalizing" the moment when the Debo comes over to "hold your bike" there is a problem. Take SNWMF.. it is a capitalist enterprise. Why does no one have a problem with this? You think the 500 to 700 bucks it cost to come to this fest is a reality for most people? If this fest was owned by Ray Ban would it matter? As long as you know the guy who own's it then it is ok to pay whatever... seems like trying to make the biggest guy on the block out to be a boogie man because he is the biggest guy on the block...

There are benefits and drawbacks to centralized control of any market. One thing we know for certain is that for the most part large corporations engage in a race to the bottom when it comes to manufacturing, paying its workers/environmental etc while pushing money to the top few percentile of the economy. When a corporation can create wealth for all of their workers I am in support. But in general that is not the case, not a fan.
April 18, 2017 08:48PM
sure but corporations have to obey the law.. who creates the law? You are I do.... corporations are people for the time being so they can try to wield their influence and often times they do but what they can and can't do has a lot to do with the people we elect. We just had measure 97 come and go in Oregon. It was a tax on corporations that make above 25 million. The people here voted it down because for the large part they are dunb stupid sheep when it comes to this subject but they voted it down not the corporations.
April 18, 2017 09:16PM
Ninja
sure and the quality of the beer has done nothing but improve in most cases. Having said that... there are still more small micro breweries in Oregon than you can shake a stick at even though several of the more successful have been purchased by the marcro industry

I have to disagree that the quality goes up. In almost every case I have been paying attention, the quality goes down after a corporate take over.

As far as the topic goes, I think we will have to wait and see. Anything else is a guessing game at this point.

Positive Vibrations w/DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 10pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
April 18, 2017 09:44PM

legal corporate weed would hurt the small growers like wal-mart took out small 5 n dime shops

The products you buy from a 5 n dime are exactly the same as at Wal-Mart (albeit in smaller packages). If the cannabis that Wal-Mart sells is exactly the same as is sold at the local 5 n dime (bag) shop, it WOULD hurt the small retailers, but I suspect it will not be the same....
April 18, 2017 10:01PM
The best market for consumers is one with a multitude of suppliers and choices. Once the supply base begins to consolidate, and all the easy money taken, the next step is for the remaining players to start cutting costs and substituting materials in the never ending quest to increase margins and shareholder returns. Nobody is forcing us to buy from these large corporations, but we certainly are not better off for having them in the market, unless the cheapest price is your only motivating factor.
April 18, 2017 10:30PM
Give thanks for being alive in a time where there are current terms 'legal corporate weed' and 'local 5 n dimebag shop'. For living in a time when parents are more worried about their kids smoking cigarettes than smoking ganja. For the sake of the populace, i hope it's legalized nationwide. The lives saved from the lower drunk driving rates makes it a no brainer.

Love that reggae!
April 20, 2017 09:52PM
nomotrouble
Give thanks for being alive in a time where there are current terms 'legal corporate weed' and 'local 5 n dimebag shop'. For living in a time when parents are more worried about their kids smoking cigarettes than smoking ganja. For the sake of the populace, i hope it's legalized nationwide. The lives saved from the lower drunk driving rates makes it a no brainer.

Well said, my friend.
April 23, 2017 03:17PM
to compare most corporations to WalMart is not even realistic. Walmart is so massive that it dominates every aspect of retail sales. There is a whole multitude of corporations in between the smallest and the largest. Is SNWMF incorporated? It would shock me if it was. Does this somehow make it evil, greedy or just about the money?
April 23, 2017 04:23PM
You are correct Ninja in that, most corporations, are not massive. Similarly many of what politicians call 'small businesses' are, in fact, very large businesses that lack the corporate status. I think the term corporation, as it is used in this thread, is primarily speaking about big businesses (certainly as compared to current 'growers') regardless of that status as a incorporated entity....
April 24, 2017 03:28PM
Yes I would agree. I also think "what did you expect". If you want something legal in this country and it is worth something it will become "big business". I think the perception is somehow that legal weed is different. The success of any "big business" is that people purchase their product. If you don't want to support them they will fail and go out of business. IF you only want to support local "small business" they will prosper and guess what they will become.. "big business". This is the thing.. even when weed was illegal it wasn't like small growers were cutting some kind of deal, they still marked up their product to be worth more then gold per ounce. If we hit a "drought season" the prices went up even higher. The only difference is that a lot of these big businesses have a plan and they have money to back their plan. The price hasn't gone up and the quality hasn't gone down... I just don't have to drive across town anymore... well I don't partake anymore but there were plenty of trips.. plenty of miles put in.
April 29, 2017 07:20PM
May 12, 2017 12:16PM
There is some irony in comparing the takeover or squashing of sellers when it hasn't even been legal yet to sell technically, so who are they putting out of business? In a general sense and in theory. There's always the exceptions, growing for pharmaceutical, growing for dispensery, the fact that yes the guy down the road is selling but to what scale? Unless your cartel how big can you be on a local level since it hasn't really been legal yet?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login